inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: those were the days

Written By: nycmystery on 12/06/05 at 6:21 pm

just sitting here thinking back to when we were in our early 20s in the early 80s,,,we had no worries at all..all we needed was a couple of bucks for gas for the car and to hang out ,,,no worry about terrorism,,diseases.no sars,aids or bird disease..or any  new plague of the month.we all had used cars and didnt have monthly payments like the kids do today on their escalades,,everything was so much more relaxed and  stress free....music was  filled with great rythyms and uplifting lyrics,,,nothing like todays junk where all they talk about is their "beotches and hos",,,and when u went to a club it didnt cost 40 bucks to get in and 15  bucks for a drink,,,and u didnt worry about getting shot at if u bumped into someone...i miss those days

Subject: Re: those were the days

Written By: Class of 84 on 12/06/05 at 6:50 pm

We're with ya NYC, we're with ya...

Written By: nycmystery on 12/07/05 at 7:50 am

anyway we can go back?lol

Written By: karen on 12/07/05 at 8:37 am

just sitting here thinking back to when we were in our early 20s in the early 80s,,,we had no worries at all..all we needed was a couple of bucks for gas for the car and to hang out ,,,no worry about terrorism,

I'd disagree about the terrorism worries.  There were times in the 80's when people were worried about wrld war 3 starting.  Not terrorism as such but still scary

Written By: nycmystery on 12/07/05 at 9:53 pm

it was a  bit different,,,you didnt worry about someone detonatig a bomb next to you on a routine  subway ride...

Written By: Skippy on 12/07/05 at 10:08 pm

Well, there was the Marine barracks bombing in '83 and Pan Am flight 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland in '88. Here's a timeline of terroist acts through the 80's: http://www.timripley.co.uk/terrorism/terrorism5.htm 
It wasn't that it didn't happen, rather when you're young you don't give it as much attention as when you're older. Then there's the AIDS virus which was approaching serious numbers in the 80's.

Written By: karen on 12/08/05 at 3:52 am

Then there's the AIDS virus which was approaching serious numbers in the 80's.

That's true.  Although it was more towards the end of the 80s that all the ad campaigns started in the UK.  I can remember one of my Cubs having a go at me because he'd seen me holding hands with my boyfriend and he thought I might catch AIDS from it!!

Written By: nycmystery on 12/08/05 at 8:12 am

i can remember in senor year of high school..1983..one of my teachers making jokes about  aids because it was so new and not really understood as to  how deadly it really is

Check for new replies or respond here...