inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Bryan Ferry (The 80's)

Written By: whistledog on 12/09/05 at 11:56 pm

1985 - Slave to Love
1985 - Don't Stop the Dance
1985 - Windswept
1986 - Is Your Love Strong Enough?
1987 - The Right Stuff
1988 - Kiss and Tell
1988 - Limbo
1988 - Let's Stick Together '88
1989 - The Price of Love '89
1989 - He'll Have to Go

Subject: Re: Bryan Ferry (The 80's)

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 12/10/05 at 6:21 am

Another vote for the haunting Slave to Love... such a beautiful, unforgettable song!!!  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/10/05 at 6:23 am

Definitely 1985 - Slave to Love

Written By: Chasey on 12/12/05 at 10:50 am

As good a song 'Slave To Love' is, 'Don't Stop The Dance' was for me the best single from the 1985 'Boys And Girls' album.

It's haunting, emotive and highly sensual.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 12/12/05 at 2:01 pm

I like "Slave To Love"... :)

Written By: whistledog on 02/10/07 at 8:19 pm

Slave to Love for me.

It's shocking that Mr. Ferry only had just the 1 US hit in the 80s.  He deserved more success in North America

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/10/07 at 8:46 pm

Broken record over here - Slave to Love!!

Written By: malibumike65 on 02/10/07 at 10:29 pm

Slave to love. It's his only solo song that I'm familiar with. Great tune.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/11/07 at 3:32 pm

Is Your Love Strong Enough? got my vote.

Written By: Davester on 02/11/07 at 3:41 pm

As good a song 'Slave To Love' is, 'Don't Stop The Dance' was for me the best single from the 1985 'Boys And Girls' album.

It's haunting, emotive and highly sensual.

You bet, Ferry is an excellent song writer with a voice to match.  I think he produced a number of other artists years ago with Brian Eno.  From the list - "Kiss and Tell"...

Bryan Ferry could sing the phone book, and he'd still have among the most beautiful voices that ever existed...

And he's a good looking guy if I were a woman of a particular flavor, or a guy with a distinct bent groove ;) on...

Written By: thereshegoes on 02/11/07 at 4:45 pm

I choose Let's Stick Together .

I really like Brian Ferry and Roxy Music too.

Written By: Chasey on 08/30/07 at 4:03 am

I have a little story about my hero, Mr Ferry.

A couple of months back I attended the Goodwood Festival of Speed, a worldwide celebration of historic racing cars and Bryan was due to attend to do some judging.

After we left the circuit on Saturday, we found a nice country pub and asked for a table.  Unfortunately they were all booked, apart from the outside so we took our chance as the weather wasn't that great.  Anyway, true to the form of the worst british summer for decades it starts raining during dessert, so my wife and friend moved inside and asked if we could just finish up our dessert on one of the reserved tables. 

The landlord was a bit reluctant, but agreed on the provision that when the guests arrived we left.  We had just about finished when the guests arrived, and the Landlord promptly asked us to move off the table.  So I visited the Gentlemans washroom which was located opposite where we had just been seated, who was now sat down?

Bryan Ferry!  :o

He was looking as smooth as ever, jacket and white shirt open at the collar and accompanied by 2 stunning ladies quite possibly his partner and daughter.  It was so incredibly tempting to ask for his autograph, but I resisted it because it was not the time nor place to ask. 

Will never forget that moment though!  8)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/30/07 at 4:18 am

I have a little story about my hero, Mr Ferry.

A couple of months back I attended the Goodwood Festival of Speed, a worldwide celebration of historic racing cars and Bryan was due to attend to do some judging.

After we left the circuit on Saturday, we found a nice country pub and asked for a table.  Unfortunately they were all booked, apart from the outside so we took our chance as the weather wasn't that great.  Anyway, true to the form of the worst british summer for decades it starts raining during dessert, so my wife and friend moved inside and asked if we could just finish up our dessert on one of the reserved tables. 

The landlord was a bit reluctant, but agreed on the provision that when the guests arrived we left.  We had just about finished when the guests arrived, and the Landlord promptly asked us to move off the table.  So I visited the Gentlemans washroom which was located opposite where we had just been seated, who was now sat down?

Bryan Ferry!  :o

He was looking as smooth as ever, jacket and white shirt open at the collar and accompanied by 2 stunning ladies quite possibly his partner and daughter.  It was so incredibly tempting to ask for his autograph, but I resisted it because it was not the time nor place to ask. 

Will never forget that moment though!  8)

I always ask whenever the opportunity arrives, for you may not get the chance again.

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 08/30/07 at 6:51 am

^many celebrites get pissed though  :\'(. i would never ask any celebrity for an autograph unless they were known to be really nice.....i know janet jackson is said to be pretty nice. but why am i talking about janet jackson..........

i'm not very familiar with bryan's solo work, but i am a pretty big roxy music fan.

my brother's a huge fan, but he detests his solo stuff.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/30/07 at 7:06 am

I am a huge fan and I would be in like a shot!

Written By: Sarah on 09/01/07 at 11:53 am

Bryan Ferry is not only a great singer and song writer but a top bloke. I used to be in charge of servicing his car and collecting it from his house (which I believe he had to hand to his wife in the divorce settlement... ouch lovely house) I could never resist jumping in his car. I only wish I could of jumped on him lol  Very shy man, gentle giant. I have been to several concerts (last one was at albert hall about 5 years ago) I am very jealous of the 25 year old that is on his arm. (I'm still in my 20's just ) Always been polite which is more than his son. Fantastic guy.

I would say "lets stick together" is one of my fav's and later on "More than this" ;)

Written By: Chasey on 09/22/07 at 4:54 am

Bryan Ferry is not only a great singer and song writer but a top bloke. I used to be in charge of servicing his car and collecting it from his house (which I believe he had to hand to his wife in the divorce settlement... ouch lovely house) I could never resist jumping in his car. I only wish I could of jumped on him lol  Very shy man, gentle giant. I have been to several concerts (last one was at albert hall about 5 years ago) I am very jealous of the 25 year old that is on his arm. (I'm still in my 20's just ) Always been polite which is more than his son. Fantastic guy.

I would say "lets stick together" is one of my fav's and later on "More than this" ;)

That's exactly the impression I got of him Sarah having overheard him talking at the table. Otis does seem to be something of an enigma I must confess.

You are indeed very lucky to have gotten that close to such a major celeb like Mr Ferry.  And I did catch a glimpse of the 25 year old with Bryan and yep, she looked the business!

Written By: Midas on 09/22/07 at 4:27 pm

"Kiss And Tell" followed by "Slave To Love" from this list.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/24/07 at 11:11 pm

Definitely 1985 - Slave to Love

Me too.  I wish it wasn't associated with that yuppie S&M movie "9 1/2 Weeks," because that's not what the song's about.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 09/25/07 at 3:31 pm

I've always liked his voice... :)

Check for new replies or respond here...