inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: guidos

Written By: nycmystery on 12/10/05 at 11:09 am

here in new york we use to have a term "guidos" ...anyone else know what it means?

Subject: Re: guidos

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/10/05 at 11:43 am

http://www.guidospizza.com/images/guidohead1.gif

Written By: nycmystery on 12/10/05 at 2:29 pm

thats not it...keep guessing

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 12/10/05 at 6:30 pm

If they don't make pizza, then do they make gumbo?

Written By: Tanya1976 on 12/10/05 at 6:40 pm

it's a derogatory term for an italian-american male with stereotypical behavior...long chains, wife-beaters, leather jackets, so on and so on.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/11/05 at 6:12 am

it's a derogatory term for an italian-american male with stereotypical behavior...long chains, wife-beaters, leather jackets, so on and so on.
So I was right with the Italian aspect?

Written By: nycmystery on 12/11/05 at 8:31 am

you guessed it,,,but it wasnt always considered a derogatory term,,,

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/11/05 at 9:18 am

At a pure guess, without prior knowledge, I would had said it was money involvoed.

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 12/11/05 at 9:23 am

Well I was way off thinking it was a restuarant that served gumbo.  I like cajun food.

Written By: nycmystery on 12/11/05 at 10:49 am

and the female counterpart to a guido was called a "guidette"

Written By: Triviamom on 12/12/05 at 1:36 pm

You forgot the Camaro... ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 12/12/05 at 4:38 pm

Same term here in Boston....don't say it in the North End 

Written By: AnnieBanannie on 12/13/05 at 9:00 pm

you guessed it,,,but it wasnt always considered a derogatory term,,,

Nope.  Back when I worked at the mall (see the mall stores thread), people called themselves guidos and guidettes with pride.  And they weren't necessarily Italian, or even white.  The main thing, at least north of the city, was those Cavariccis.

And nycmystery, do you know the Christmas light blocks in Dyker Heights?  I saw a guy there this weekend selling (and wearing) flashing Santa earrings who was dressed in total late 80's guido regalia, right down to a permed mullet!  Actually around where I live now, the part of Brooklyn where "Saturday Night Fever" took place, you still see bits and pieces of the look on people.  But to see the whole nine yards on that guy was simply hilarious.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/14/05 at 1:16 am

See that restaurant with all the Cadillacs parked out front of it, and all the old men with the racing forms out front, it's called "Vinnie's Clam Bar."  Go in and ask those guys.  They'll tell ya!
What's this got to do with the '80s per se?

Written By: nycmystery on 12/14/05 at 1:29 am

it has everything to do with the 80s....that was life here in brooklyn in the 80s,,,and there are still some die hards around,,lol

Check for new replies or respond here...