inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Where were you on November 9th 1989?

Written By: OliverDK on 12/12/05 at 5:30 am

The generations that came before us always know where they were when the IJN bombed Pearl Harbor, when man walked on the moon and when the magic bullet was fired in Dallas.

The "Iron Curtain" divided Europe into East and West, and I'm sure I wasn't the only one who believed that the "Iron Curtain" would stand forever, but on November 9th 1989 the Berlin Wall fell, and not long after we actually witnessed the 2nd Russian Revolution, live on TV while we were eating our dinner.

My birthday is November 9th, and in 1989 I turned eighteen, as you can imagine we threw one hell of a party the next day, celebrating not only my birthday but also the fall of the Wall, of cause at the time we had no idea that it would lead to the fall of the Soviet Union, and therefore the end of the world we knew.

I actually saw the "Iron Curtain" with my own eyes, it was back in '84 when I was visiting Hartzen (Southern part of West Germany) with my grandmother, I remember seeing armed guards, minefields, barb wire and vicious dogs on the east side, and platforms for tourists on the west side, I remember that what scared me (Even at that age) was the obvious difference in mentality between the West and the East.

Subject: Re: Where were you on November 9th 1989?

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/12/05 at 7:18 am

The generations that came before us always know where they were when the IJN bombed Pearl Harbor, when man walked on the moon and when the magic bullet was fired in Dallas.

The "Iron Curtain" divided Europe into East and West, and I'm sure I wasn't the only one who believed that the "Iron Curtain" would stand forever, but on November 9th 1989 the Berlin Wall fell, and not long after we actually witnessed the 2nd Russian Revolution, live on TV while we were eating our dinner.

My birthday is November 9th, and in 1989 I turned eighteen, as you can imagine we threw one hell of a party the next day, celebrating not only my birthday but also the fall of the Wall, of cause at the time we had no idea that it would lead to the fall of the Soviet Union, and therefore the end of the world we knew.

I actually saw the "Iron Curtain" with my own eyes, it was back in '84 when I was visiting Hartzen (Southern part of West Germany) with my grandmother, I remember seeing armed guards, minefields, barb wire and vicious dogs on the east side, and platforms for tourists on the west side, I remember that what scared me (Even at that age) was the obvious difference in mentality between the West and the East.

What day of the week was that?

Written By: Cafe80s on 12/12/05 at 8:54 am

I actually have a small piece of the Berlin wall & it is totally legit. Time to go on eBay LOL no i'm kinding. Seriously though it was given to us by a family friend who was there at the time. I wonder if my mum still has it, i will have to find out. That's a piece of history that i should really hold on to. I still remember the day the wall came down, i was at home & from what i remember it was televised all around the world live to air. 

Written By: danootaandme on 12/12/05 at 10:23 am

November 9, 1989.  No, I can't say as I do remember exactly.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/12/05 at 10:28 am

November 9, 1989. at work or watching the news for that day, I can only assume for it was so far back now.

Written By: karen on 12/12/05 at 10:30 am

At work probably or possibly at uni depending on which day of the week it was.  I do recall watching it on the news.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/12/05 at 10:46 am

With the help of Wikipedia (the free encyclopedia)

Germany - November 9th is often called Germany's Schicksalstag (day of fate) due to the events of 1848, 1918, 1923, 1938, and 1989.

1848: I am not sure which event Wikipiedia speaks of here.

1918: Provisional National Council Minister-President Kurt Eisner declares Bavaria to be a republic.

1923: (On November 8) - Beer Hall Putsch: In Munich, Adolf Hitler leads the Nazis in an unsuccessful attempt to overthrow the German government. Police and troops crush the attempt the next day

1938: Holocaust: Kristallnacht begins - In Germany, the "night of broken glass" begins as Nazi troops and sympathizers loot and burn Jewish businesses (the all night affair saw 7,500 Jewish businesses destroyed, 267 synagogues burned, 91 Jews killed, and at least 25,000 Jewish men arrested).

1989: Cold War: East Germany opens checkpoints in the Berlin Wall, allowing its citizens to freely travel to West Germany for the first time in decades (the next day celebrating Germans began to tear the wall down).

Written By: Tanya1976 on 12/12/05 at 10:57 am

I was 13 and in school, I guess.

Written By: snozberries on 12/12/05 at 11:12 am

I'm guessing if you were there you remember it but if you weren't you don't really remember it too well...

I gptta admit the date didn't mean a thing to me...

I do know where I was Challenger Exploded although I didn't commit that date to memory wasn't it January 86?
I remember where I was when Lennon was killed. . . Dec 8 1980....that date I remember.

Written By: OliverDK on 12/12/05 at 1:18 pm

What day of the week was that?

It was a Thursday, according to my computer's calender.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/12/05 at 1:21 pm

It was a Thursday, according to my computer's calender.
I must had been at work then.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/12/05 at 1:31 pm

I was in Greece-I think waiting to hear if I was going to go home or not (I went home at the end of the month). I was totally obvilious to the Wall coming down-and I was in Germany a few months before. I didn't have much access to news so just about anything that happened that year, I didn't know about until I got home.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/12/05 at 1:34 pm

Back in 1989, I was working on the nightshift, so at the time of the wall being torn down I was at home asleep.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 12/12/05 at 1:40 pm

In June of 1989, after graduating from high school, I left for basic training in the U.S. Army at Ft. Leonard Wood, MO,

Written By: nally on 12/12/05 at 1:58 pm

Well, that day was a Thursday, so I was most likely in school, in the 4th grade.

Written By: Acidpiss on 12/12/05 at 4:24 pm

I was in eigth grade and the history teacher talked about it the whole class period.
It was the first time I realized that history was a constantly evolving thing and not just a study about things that had happened long
before my time.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/12/05 at 4:36 pm

I can remember the where and when of

John F. Kennedy
Martin Luther King
Robert Kennedy
John Lennon
World Trade Center

I think that is more than enough for one lifetime  :(

I also remember getting a phone call and watching the live feed of Nelson Mandela going home.  For many of us that was a great day.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 12/12/05 at 4:50 pm

Where was I?

Well, seeing as I was only 4, I doubt I even knew the wall existed. (I might've been told about it, but didn't really grasp on to what they were saying) And in saying that, the wall more than likely would have collapsed November 10, our time. So, November 9 would've been a rather average day for us... November 10 on the other hand...

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 12/12/05 at 4:56 pm

I was 23 years old and in my last year of college... :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/13/05 at 1:47 am

I can remember the where and when of

John F. Kennedy
Martin Luther King
Robert Kennedy
John Lennon
World Trade Center

I think that is more than enough for one lifetime

Written By: bruce on 12/16/05 at 9:54 pm

it was 2 days before my daughter was born Dont really remember much abouit the wall falling. Living out of range of cable tv and before the little dishes like directtv we were in our own little world .

Written By: rich1981 on 12/17/05 at 3:02 am

I was in 3rd grade, in Alonzo Horton Elementary School.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/17/05 at 3:59 am

At my dad's in Wolfeboro, NH, drinking beers and watching on TV the Berlin Wall getting knocked down.

Written By: Dagwood on 12/17/05 at 4:45 pm

I do know where I was Challenger Exploded although I didn't commit that date to memory wasn't it January 86?

Jan 28, 1986.  I remember exactly where I was then.  As for 11/9/89, I don't remember exactly.  I was living in Ogden, Ut.  My first apartment, I had just graduated from high school. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/17/05 at 4:48 pm

Jan 28, 1986.

Written By: Dagwood on 12/17/05 at 4:55 pm

I was in Algebra class.  Principal announced it over the loudspeaker and he was crying.  Guess that is why it stuck with me. (Challenger not the wall)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/18/05 at 4:25 am

I was in Algebra class.

Written By: Banks on 12/18/05 at 7:18 am

When the Berlin Wall came down I remember sitting up all night watching and taping the footage. I still have the tapes of it and have recently put them onto new VHS tapes. I was 17 and in year 11 at Glendale High School (Newcastle Australia)

When the Challenger exploded I was 13 (turned 14 in May of 86). I remember waking up really early next to my girlfriend of the time (she was the daughter of a family friend and we were secretly a couple). I turned on the TV and there it was. My girlfriend went back to her home state 2 days later and I didnt see her again until December 1996.

When John Lennon was shot I remember I was sitting in front of a TV crying...I was 8, and I loved John Lennon.

When Elvis died I was 5 and I cried then as well. I remember hearing how he died on the toilet. Such an undignified end for such a great man.

I remember sitting up with my friend for an entire 48 hours taping all the footage of the 9/11 attacks in the USA. I have copies of this as well.

The second Russian Revolution (3 days when I remember thinking that we were all about to be blown to dust by nuclear conflict) I taped every thing on the news about it. I still have that tape.

When US planes bombed Tripoli in 1986 I remember going to school and all the girls were crying because they believed that a nuclear war was about to begin. I remember the teacher letting us have lessons out of the class room for History so that we could watch the bombs coming...They never did come.

Other events I remember and have on video:

The death and funeral of Princess Diana

The first and second child abuse allegations against Michael Jackson.

The first US led Gulf War to free kuwait

The second Gulf War (ongoing)

The death and funeral of Pope John Paul the second

Irangate

The invasion of Afghanastan by US troops

The release of Nelson Mandela

and there are others, but righ now I dont want to bore people.

AN

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/18/05 at 7:22 am

The death and funeral of Princess Diana
I was on the streets of London, close to the Royal Albert Hall to watch the funeral cortege pass by, then it was onto Regents Park to watch the funeral service on a large TV screen.

Written By: Bratpac on 12/23/05 at 10:14 pm

I was a Junoir in High School and I remember all of the coverage.  David Hasslehoff sang with this jacket that lit up.  I remember watching people litterly taking it down piece by piece with their hands and hitting it with hammers and stuff. I also remember them ontop of the wall singing and celebrating.  8)

Written By: spaceace on 01/17/06 at 1:08 pm

I have reason to believe I was at school.

Written By: STAR70 on 01/17/06 at 5:16 pm

I was in class that day discussing this very event.
The next day, Fri Nov 10 was when Vet's day was obseverd, so there were no classes, so every Vet's day reminds me of the Wall coming down.

Written By: Class of 84 on 01/20/06 at 11:59 pm

I was 23, can remember coming home from work, glued to the TV news, watching Tom Brokaw on NBC covering the event, knowing we were watching history being made in front of us.

Written By: nondiva234 on 01/21/06 at 12:44 am

It would be less than a year before I was born, so on November 9, 1989, I was yet to be born. But what a great day it was!

Check for new replies or respond here...