inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Black

Written By: Chasey on 12/12/05 at 11:04 am

Been listening to the Scottish singer Black's album 'Comedy' from 1987, and I had forgotten just what a wonderful album it is.

'Wonderful Life', 'You're A Big Girl Now' and 'Sweetest Smile' are some of the most slick and best produced songs to emerge from the 80's.

Any comments on Black?

Subject: Re: Black

Written By: FaultyDog on 12/12/05 at 1:39 pm

Been listening to the Scottish singer Black's album 'Comedy' from 1987, and I had forgotten just what a wonderful album it is.

'Wonderful Life', 'You're A Big Girl Now' and 'Sweetest Smile' are some of the most slick and best produced songs to emerge from the 80's.

Any comments on Black?

"Wonderful life" and "Sweetest smile" aren't from the Comedy album, actually...but I guess you knew that already. ;)

I also have the albums "Wonderful life" and "Are we having fun yet?" and yes, I do think Black is underrated.
The song Wonderful life is one of my personal favourites, along with You're a big girl now, All we need is the money and I can laugh about it now. Unfortunately, he seems to have lost his way somewhat on the album "Are we having fun yet?" - it's not half as good as the other two I own IMO.

Written By: Chasey on 12/12/05 at 4:34 pm

"Wonderful life" and "Sweetest smile" aren't from the Comedy album, actually...but I guess you knew that already. ;)

I also have the albums "Wonderful life" and "Are we having fun yet?" and yes, I do think Black is underrated.
The song Wonderful life is one of my personal favourites, along with You're a big girl now, All we need is the money and I can laugh about it now. Unfortunately, he seems to have lost his way somewhat on the album "Are we having fun yet?" - it's not half as good as the other two I own IMO.

Hmm, this is interesting.  'Sweetest Smile' is listed on my original album, but it doesn't appear to be on the reissued CD on Amazon.  Other omissions on the cd are 'Wonderful Life' and  'Reunion'. Why drop 2 of the 3 best tracks off the re-issue?  :o

Very puzzling indeed.  But yes, I agree totally...he did lose his way totally with the album 'Are we having fun yet?'.  Seems to be another one of those unfortunate artists who, after producing a stunning first album lose their way shortly afterwards.

Written By: whistledog on 12/12/05 at 5:19 pm

Wonderful Life is such a fantastic song!  Mix it with Wishful Thinking by China Crisis, and you have the two greatest ballads of the 80's :)

Written By: SAM-Indonesia on 12/12/05 at 11:03 pm

Any comments on Black?

Hi Chasey, Henk & whis'tl'e.d'og, the only single I know so far is 'WL' I couldn't find 'Comedy.' This song is listed in a compilation album i.e. TOP HITS 87. I first saw WL video clip in early 1988. In my opinion 'WL' is a harmonious song furnished with many sequences-programming.

Written By: FaultyDog on 12/13/05 at 12:21 pm

Hmm, this is interesting.

Written By: whistledog on 12/13/05 at 5:06 pm

Anyone heard the new 2005 cover of Wonderful Life by Tina Cousins?  I like her and all, but I don't really like the way she covered it. 

Written By: FaultyDog on 12/13/05 at 5:24 pm

[quote author=whis

Check for new replies or respond here...