inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Die Hard (1988)

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 12/20/05 at 10:17 am

This is one of the best movies from the 80s, and one of the greatest action flicks (if not the greatest) ever.  I mean seriously this is the mother of all modern action flicks, departing from the Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sylvester Stallone body builder/muscle man formula that was used up till that point. 

Looking at the flick now, Bruce Willis is actually very impressively built and cut by our standards today, but by 80s standards up to that point he was seen as a small guy without many muscles.  And that was because the yardstick was otherworldy guys like Sly Stallone, a 10th degree black belt like Chuck Norris, or a straight up body builder like Schwarzenegger. 

Infact I remember when the movie was advertised I actually remember thinking the film would suck because they were using the dude from Moonlighting as an action star instead of a body builder guy like what most people would have figured to use.  But what a film!  From beginning to end it is tightly edited and shot, never letting up.  Alan Rickman makes an extraordinary villain, one of the greatest screen villains as the cold and calculating Hans Gruber.

This is also one of my FAVORITE Christmas movies!!

:)

yippie-kay-yay ------------------!!!!!!

Subject: Re: Die Hard (1988)

Written By: whistledog on 12/20/05 at 11:45 am

LOL it does qualify as a Christmas movie, that's for sure  :)

This was like the BEST action movie of the 80's.  Alan Rickman as Hans Gruber was such a great villain

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/20/05 at 1:49 pm

I agree it's a good film!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/21/05 at 12:53 am

Good Movie, and Bruce Willis in his prime makes an excellent action hero.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 12/23/05 at 1:23 am

Yep its a great christmas movie !!

My boss is forever quoting from it thru the day - his fave line is obviously "Yippy ki ayyyyyyy mother effer" !!!!

Written By: ralfy on 01/14/16 at 9:40 pm

"Alan Rickman, giant of British screen and stage, dies at 69"

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/jan/14/alan-rickman-giant-of-british-film-and-theatre-dies-at-69

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 01/16/16 at 7:06 pm

The 1988 film that started it all.  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/17/16 at 7:04 am

From IMDB:

"For the shot where Hans Gruber falls from the top of the building, Alan Rickman was actually falling from a 21-foot high model. He was holding on to a stunt man and falling on to an air bag. To get the right reaction, the stunt man dropped Rickman on the count of two, not three."

Subject: Die Hard (1988)

Written By: Dude111 on 02/26/18 at 6:40 pm

Yup I love this.... Have it on VHS :) (And recorded from HBO also)

I like Part 2 and 3 also.......

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/28/18 at 5:10 am

Great film, great acting, and great music, mixing Beethoven with Christmas tunes.

Check for new replies or respond here...