inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: A Christmas Story

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/20/05 at 1:51 pm

I would have to say that, this is one of my favorites films of all time. TBS will be having a 24 hour marathon on 24th, this year. I am looking forward to it!  :)

Subject: Re: A Christmas Story

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 12/20/05 at 4:15 pm

This is such a classic... it wouldn't be Christmas without watching Ralphie and his endless quest to receive a BB gun for Christmas... one of the greatest holiday films of all time!  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/20/05 at 5:37 pm

You'll shoot your eye out.

Cat

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/20/05 at 6:13 pm

My favorite line:

Mr. Parker: Fra-gee-lay. That must be Italian.
Mrs. Parker: Uh, I think that says FRAGILE, dear.
Mr. Parker: Oh, yeah.

;D

Written By: Tanya1976 on 12/20/05 at 6:41 pm

I know TBS always has that marathon on. It's one thing I look forward to.

Written By: whistledog on 12/20/05 at 6:58 pm

I have only ever seen this movie once.  I will definately tune in to the TBS marathon  8)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/20/05 at 8:58 pm

Yes, I will definitely be there to watch it a few times! :)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/21/05 at 12:50 am

I Triple Dog Dare You !!!

Written By: Jeffpcmt on 12/21/05 at 8:47 am

OOHH  FFFFFUDGE !!!!!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/21/05 at 11:44 am

I have it on video.

Cat

Written By: JAFA on 12/21/05 at 4:26 pm

My brothers and I lived it.  ;D

Written By: Skippy on 12/21/05 at 4:59 pm

If you can't wait until the TBS marathon, it'll be on TCM Thursday @ 8PM est.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/21/05 at 5:34 pm

If you can't wait until the TBS marathon, it'll be on TCM Thursday @ 8PM est.

TCM is better than TBS. No commercials and not cut.

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/21/05 at 7:21 pm

My brothers and I lived it.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/22/05 at 1:08 am

My brothers and I lived it.

Written By: Roadgeek on 12/22/05 at 7:24 pm

I'm watching it right now on TCM. It's my favorite X-mas movie. I have the 20th anniversary special edition DVD. It came with a Ralphie bobblehead.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 12/23/05 at 1:48 am

Funniest part ever! When Ralphie lied when his mom asked him where he heard the bad words and instead of saying his dad, he said his friend! Mom calls his friend's mom and she calls him over and spanks over the phone!

Hil-arious!

It did take me forever to realize that he wasn't saying fudge, but b/c it's a family movie that used it to stand for what he really said. As a kid, I would go that's not a bad word and what my dad says are bad words!  ;D

Written By: Bratpac on 12/23/05 at 10:03 pm

I like when that kid gets stuck to the flag pole or the bunny :D outfit Ralphy had to where.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/23/05 at 10:39 pm

I love it when the waiters sing Deck The Halls to them in the Chinese restaurant.
Tis the season to be jarry, fa ra ra ra ra, ra ra ra ra

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 12/25/05 at 11:51 am

I've already watched A Christmas Story twice since last night!!!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/25/05 at 4:17 pm

I've already watched A Christmas Story twice since last night!!!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/25/05 at 6:13 pm

I'm hoping to talk the kids into watching it tonight but I am sure they are going to want to play poker instead. No prob, I like playing poker.

Cat

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 12/25/05 at 9:13 pm

I absolutely love that movie, and look forward to the marathon every Christmas. However, I did hear that this was the last year for it.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 12/25/05 at 9:14 pm

I showed it to my seven year old. He absolutely loved it!!!

Written By: Dagwood on 12/25/05 at 10:32 pm

I absolutely love that movie, and look forward to the marathon every Christmas. However, I did hear that this was the last year for it.

Last year?  I wonder why....that sucks.

Written By: jlp937 on 12/25/05 at 11:42 pm

Why in the world would this be the last year for it!  It will break my heart because it has been a tradition to watch it while we open presents at my dad's house on Christmas Eve!  I will be boo hooing sad if they do that!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/27/05 at 1:45 am

Why in the world would this be the last year for it!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/27/06 at 11:40 pm

Did you guys happen to see that new Cingular phone commercial that is a spoof of "Christmas Story?"  The kid looks like an older Ralphie...I thought it was really funny! LOL! ;D

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/27/06 at 11:50 pm

Did you guys happen to see that new Cingular phone commercial that is a spoof of "Christmas Story?"  The kid looks like an older Ralphie...I thought it was really funny! LOL! ;D

I thought it was cute and hilarious!!

Written By: Lindee on 11/28/06 at 10:47 am

I love that commercial.

Last year at a Suncoast video store that had an actual replica the the leg lamp from that movie.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/28/06 at 9:56 pm

I can't wait until I see it on TV, I also got the special edition DVD too!

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 11/30/06 at 4:48 am

I have owned this movie for years!

It's in my Top 3 Holiday Hits Of All-Time!

Hawk's Top 8 Favorite Scenes From "A Christmas Story":

8. The fast-forwarded bits of Ralphie, Flick & Schwartz running, followed by Scut Farkus & Grover Dill, and Randy in the rear, yelling "Hey, c'mon you guys! Wait up!"

7. The scene where Santa tells Ralphie, "You'll shoot yer eye out, kid!"

6. Ralphie's cuss-out, in the now-infamous "Scut Farkus Affair". (You dortin' no-good, damn good nothing! Bang gunkin' stinkin' pits!)

5. The delivery of The Leg Lamp!

4. Dad's ever-famous phrase, when said lamp was broken: "Not a fingah!"

3. The Bumpuss hounds rending the turkey dinner wing from wing!

2. Flick sticking his tongue to the flagpole, and being stuck for an hour.

AND! Hawk's All-Time Fave Scene:

1. "Oooooooooooohhhhhhhhhh, fffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuddddddddggggggggggggge!"

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/30/06 at 9:49 am

Couple of my favorites....

1)  The creepy store Santa kicking Ralphie down the slide, and his equalily creepy assistant store elf.  ;D

2) Mr. Parker: Fra-gee-lay. That must be Italian.
    Mrs. Parker: Uh, I think that says FRAGILE, dear.
    Mr. Parker: Oh, yeah.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/05/06 at 12:37 am

Quick trivia notes:

The kid who played Flick was also the brat in "The Toy", with the late Richard Pryor & the late Jackie Gleason.

Scott Schwartz is now in adult films.

Darren "Dad" McGavin died a year or two ago, and was previously best known for "Kolchak: The Night Stalker".

Melinda Dillon has co-starred in numerous movies, but none quite as big as "ACS".

Out of all of the characters in that film, the most memorable (other than Ralphie) hsa been Scut Farkus.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/05/06 at 2:02 am

I saw this funny comparison of Prince Harry and Scut Farkas which I always thought was Scott  ???

http://in.yimg.com/xp/reuters_ids_new/20040220/2348883976.jpg

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9iby4drJ3VFSA0ADyajzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=11r2vrh36/EXP=1165392107/**http%3a//rottenryan.com/images/farkus.jpg

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/05/06 at 2:22 am

They DO look somewhat similar, Mike!

Nice call!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/05/06 at 2:24 am

They DO look somewhat similar, Mike!

Nice call!
thanks, I'm sure Harry got a laugh if he saw. I was looking for a pic of Scott, then they all said Scut, & thinking what kind of a name is Scut, but it goes well with his bullyish unlikable character.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/05/06 at 2:39 am

Don't forget Grover Dill, the crummy little toady!

Written By: oneno on 12/06/06 at 1:01 pm

Has anybody seen this story where they completely renovated the original house to look like it did in the movie! They now take tours too with a museum across the street!
http://www.achristmasstoryhouse.com/

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/06/06 at 1:57 pm

Has anybody seen this story where they completely renovated the original house to look like it did in the movie! They now take tours too with a museum across the street!
http://www.achristmasstoryhouse.com/

that is SO cool...I was never aware of that, thanks for the link. Check out the "past event pictures" on the site....there are some of the cast members on there....so very neato! :)

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/07/06 at 3:20 am

that is SO cool...I was never aware of that, thanks for the link. Check out the "past event pictures" on the site....there are some of the cast members on there....so very neato! :)

Was the unseen 'air of cursing' also preserved?
;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/07/06 at 9:24 am

Was the unseen 'air of cursing' also preserved?
;D

that would be hilarious...all of a sudden, hearing a man's voice rambling/swearing..coming from down in the basement! ;D :D

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/07/06 at 2:00 pm

that would be hilarious...all of a sudden, hearing a man's voice rambling/swearing..coming from down in the basement! ;D :D

"You snort tunga! Leshammasell kaka!"

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 12/07/06 at 2:16 pm

I love it when the waiters sing Deck The Halls to them in the Chinese restaurant.
Tis the season to be jarry, fa ra ra ra ra, ra ra ra ra

Dang it, I was going to mention that!

I can't even tell you how many times I've seen that movie.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 12/07/06 at 2:16 pm

I4. Dad's ever-famous phrase, when said lamp was broken: "Not a fingah!"

When I was little, I thought he was speaking another language.  Like "not tafinga!"  I thought it was some sort of Italian curse or something   ;D

I think I mentioned this on another thread, but I bought a Christmas ornament this year of Ralphie in his bunny suit.  It's adorable!

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/07/06 at 2:21 pm

"Jinger berrs, jinger berrs, jinger arr da way-e, o what fun it is to lide in a one-hosse open sreay-ay!"

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/07/06 at 9:11 pm

When I was little, I thought he was speaking another language.  Like "not tafinga!"  I thought it was some sort of Italian curse or something   ;D

hahaah...OMG...me too! :D ;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/07/06 at 9:58 pm

dudette, I posted this almost a year ago.  :o  the chinese waiters singing Deck The HALLS crack me up too. Of course me being the sensitive non racist loving husband I am, I proceed to tease Lady Di with A "that's your people singing there"  and then she beats me like a dog. 

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 12/07/06 at 10:32 pm

1. Oh, I had no idea. I won't really look at dates. Whatev.

2. Your wife's Chinese?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/07/06 at 10:35 pm

1. Oh, I had no idea. I won't really look at dates. Whatev.

2. Your wife's Chinese?
I think it was 2005, because when I read it, I sort of remembered posting that somewhere and then realized that was my post.  Lady Di is 100% Chinese, but 110% Americanized, born in Berkeley Cal. her parents are from China but have been here 60 years. I love em, & I think they actually luv luv luv their son-in-law  8)

Written By: pumbaaj on 12/08/06 at 11:57 am

I really identify with the Ralphie's brother. As a toddler,  I also used to spend time in cupboards: under the sink, in the linen closet, in the canned goods cabinet,  in the laundry hamper,  under a laundry basket, ..... 

Hmmm,  I'm starting to notice a pattern.  Maybe I should talk to my therapist about this.

:-\\

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/08/06 at 1:55 pm

"I can't put my arms down!!!!"

Written By: Snoopygirl on 12/09/06 at 10:30 pm

I love this movie!!
I always felt bad for Ralphie because all he wanted was a bb gun and everyone kept saying " you'll shoot your eye out"
Many great lines from this movie which most have been posted here. I also love these:

Flick?...Flick who?
Don't bother me....I'm thinking ( when they were standing in line to see Santa Claus )

What I always laugh at is that he got the bar of soap in his mouth for saying " oh Fudge" but when he was decoding the secret message from Orphan Annie and he found out that it was just saying to drink your ovaltine, he said " son of a b***h"

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/09/06 at 10:55 pm

I love this movie!!
I always felt bad for Ralphie because all he wanted was a bb gun and everyone kept saying " you'll shoot your eye out"
Many great lines from this movie which most have been posted here. I also love these:

Flick?...Flick who?
Don't bother me....I'm thinking ( when they were standing in line to see Santa Claus )

What I always laugh at is that he got the bar of soap in his mouth for saying " oh Fudge" but when he was decoding the secret message from Orphan Annie and he found out that it was just saying to drink your ovaltine, he said " son of a b***h"

he didn't really say "fudge" though....he actually said the real word...that's why he got in so much trouble. :D

Written By: Snoopygirl on 12/09/06 at 11:18 pm

he didn't really say "fudge" though....he actually said the real word...that's why he got in so much trouble. :D

When I first saw the movie when it came out i thought " now why are they getting that mad over the word fudge?" Then he made it up that he heard it from his friend when in reality prolly heard enough foul language from the pop when he was cursing the heater.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/09/06 at 11:27 pm

When I first saw the movie when it came out i thought " now why are they getting that mad over the word fudge?" Then he made it up that he heard it from his friend when in reality prolly heard enough foul language from the pop when he was cursing the heater.

ya, he just said "fudge" because the actual word couldn't be used....but he exclaimed that he said the "mother of all words" LOL! ;D

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/10/06 at 5:29 am

That's right. I said it. THE word!
The Queen Mother of Dirty Words. The "F---" word!

And here's a replay of that famous line:

"Oooooooooohhhhhhhh, fffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuddggggee!"

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/10/06 at 1:36 pm

True story:

I actually had my tongue frozen stuck on a metal pole, just like in the movie!  ::)  ;D

Trust me.... it is painfull!  ;D

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/10/06 at 4:27 pm

Twelve Days of a Christmas Story

I just finished posting the last of my Christmas Story quizzes on amIwrong. 

For diehards only, mere mortals will find they can't hack it.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/10/06 at 4:40 pm

We just watched it the other night. It was Carlos' first time to see it.  :o :o :o  It still cracks me up.

Cat

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/10/06 at 4:44 pm

We just watched it the other night. It was Carlos' first time to see it.  :o :o :o  It still cracks me up.

wow, I can't believe someone still hasn't seen it.  He must have been trying to avoid it at that point!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/10/06 at 5:27 pm

wow, I can't believe someone still hasn't seen it.  He must have been trying to avoid it at that point!

I don't think he intentually didn't see it-it just that the opportunity never presented itself. The funny thing is, I have had a copy of it since the time we started dating. I said to him the other night that I was in the mood to watch it and he agreed. Yeah, he said that he thought it was cute so I have a feeling he will probably be willing to watch it again (but probably not until next year-we is not the type who will watch the same movie over and over again within a matter of weeks-a few months maybe).

Cat

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/11/06 at 4:26 am

What did Carlos think was the best part?

Written By: Ashkicksass on 12/12/06 at 12:04 pm

Twelve Days of a Christmas Story

I just finished posting the last of my Christmas Story quizzes on amIwrong. 

For diehards only, mere mortals will find they can't hack it.

I've been reading the questions out loud to my boss - pretty tricky! 

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/12/06 at 4:21 pm

Just took the quizzes, and the only one I bombed on was the visual.

All the others, I got either 90% or 100%. ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/12/06 at 4:26 pm

What did Carlos think was the best part?

He liked the nostalgia of 40s & 50s Christmases.

Cat

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/12/06 at 5:48 pm

He liked the nostalgia of 40s & 50s Christmases.

not to be picky... well, ok, to be picky, it was actually late 30's and early 40's.  End of the Depression era.  They have a few things that appeared after 1941, but not much (and clearly by mistake).

according to the wikipedia article on Ovaltine, the secret messages they sponsored never promoted Ovaltine, it was usually a spoiler for the next episode.  That's easily my wife's favorite part when he swears after discovering the secret message.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/12/06 at 5:53 pm

not to be picky... well, ok, to be picky, it was actually late 30's and early 40's.  End of the Depression era.  They have a few things that appeared after 1941, but not much (and clearly by mistake).

according to the wikipedia article on Ovaltine, the secret messages they sponsored never promoted Ovaltine, it was usually a spoiler for the next episode.  That's easily my wife's favorite part when he swears after discovering the secret message.

Put it this way, it reminded him of his childhood-which was 40s and 50s.  ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/12/06 at 5:55 pm

"You hasickle fifer! Dortin' no good damn nothin'! Bang gunk stinkin' pits! You snort tunga! Lay cammashel kaka!"

Written By: Snoopygirl on 12/12/06 at 8:14 pm

Another part I loved was when the mom was trying to get Randy to eat.

"Show mommy how the little piggies eat". ;D

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/13/06 at 3:12 am

Another part I loved was when the mom was trying to get Randy to eat.

"Show mommy how the little piggies eat". ;D

OMG, I remember shooting egg nog out of my nose, and my ex-stepdad almost threw up.
Not because the scene was gross, but apparently that's how they ate, on the farm.

(Since he IS a pig, this makes perfect sense.)

Written By: agrimorfee on 12/13/06 at 2:24 pm

4. Dad's ever-famous phrase, when said lamp was broken: "Not a fingah!"

My brother, now aged 31, cannot help but laugh his as off at that moment of the movie.  ;D

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/19/06 at 4:45 am

I'm sorry, but I just can't get THE phrase outta my head:

"Ooooooooohhhhhhhhh, fffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuddgggeeee!"

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/20/06 at 10:30 pm

wow, I can't believe someone still hasn't seen it. 

I've never seen it either. 

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/21/06 at 1:12 am

I've never seen it either. 

You should. It will give you something else to either laugh about or critique the hell out of.

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 12/24/06 at 6:46 am

Love, love, love this movie! Can't wait to start watching it tonight for 24 hours straight!  ;D

Written By: zcrito on 12/25/06 at 10:37 pm

Well I caught various parts of it again on the tele the past day.

I'll tell you what, it's nice to see children act like children in a movie for a change. It's also good to see a movie filmed at an actual location with real winter weather and not everyone running around acting cold in some movie set somewhere. And it really does look like it could be the 1940's. 

Favorite scenes
-- Waking up on Christmas morning and the first thing to do is look out the window and see the snow and ice everywhere. "Wow!" Which is exactly what a nine year old would do.
-- The Chinese restaurant. Nice save by his old man after the turkey is ruined.
-- Finding the Red Rider BB gun behind the chair. Another good move by the old man.
-- Meeting Santa and that desperate crawl back up Santa's slide to put in the real Christmas request.

Written By: Southern Image on 12/29/06 at 10:33 am

Love this movie. I watched it all day long and never got tired of it once.

Written By: Suicidal Blonde on 12/29/06 at 12:24 pm

I must watch it every year during Christmas time. 8)

Written By: Butterball on 12/31/06 at 9:52 pm

My favorites:

"Randy laid there like a slug, it was his only defense".   
    "Oh no, it was the classic mother bb gun block, you'll shoot your eye out".
    "You used up all the glue on purpose".
    "Mother's know nothing about creeping marauders"
    "That hot damn Olds would freeze up in the middle of July on the equator".

I read that in the flagpole scene, they used an air suction tube, rigged up inside the pole to keep his tongue stuck to the pole.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 05/24/07 at 12:31 am

I just found this on IMDB and thought it was fantastic!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Vtori8ghGLY

Make sure your speakers are on!

Written By: airsupplyairhead on 05/29/07 at 1:57 pm

Kinda funny, but not my fave.

Written By: san018 on 05/30/07 at 8:42 pm

classic....thinking of getting the leg lamp for my picture window this year...

Check for new replies or respond here...