inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: You know you're a child of the 80's if...

Written By: Bratpac on 12/23/05 at 10:25 pm

Fill in the blank.  if you remember wanting to be a Goonie.
                      if you still roll up your sleeves
                      if you still use 'cool beans' or'awsome' in your lingo
Have fun with this!  I want to see waht you can come up with. ;D

Subject: Re: You know you're a child of the 80's if...

Written By: whistledog on 12/23/05 at 11:11 pm

I know I was an 80's child because I was born in the 70's  ;D

I am an 80's child because ...

I still have some of the old cassette tapes I had when I was a kid.  The only one that still works well is "Polytel's Rock Sizzzlers"  ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/23/05 at 11:46 pm

....you totally rocked out to the record "Disco Mickey Mouse"

....wore side pony-tails and tied your t-shirts in a knot at the bottom

...you once thought that sporting buttons/pins of Michael Jackson was a good thing

....your favorite cartoons consisted of: Smurfs, Snorks, Jem, The Littles, GetAlong Gang, etc..

....you collected things like: garbage pail kids cards, scratch & sniff stickers, bracelets/necklaces with water & glitter in them, and yummy smelly erasers.

....you had toys like: easy bake oven, light brights, viewmaster, cabbage patch kids doll, pogoball, slip & slide, etc.

Written By: whistledog on 12/23/05 at 11:56 pm

....you totally rocked out to the record "Disco Mickey Mouse"

Oh man Disco Mickey Mouse, now that goes way back.  I even had "Sesame Street Fever"  ;D

http://www.goofspot.com/bamboo/images/cvr_sesamefever.jpg

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/24/05 at 1:54 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: Bratpac on 12/24/05 at 7:51 pm

I remeber that.

If you reffer Bruce Springstien to "The Boss"
                  If your favorite video games are still Pac Man or Ms. Pac man, Donkey Kong, Galaga, ect.
                  If you remember when "Apple" became a household name and you remember when a vcr was 2,000.
                  If you remember heating up your left over on the stovetop and when your parents bought thier first microwave.

Written By: Bratpac on 12/24/05 at 8:30 pm

If you remeber when Micheal Jackson was black and still had his nose.
If you can remember party lines
If you remember useing 8 tracks before cassetes were popular
If you remember those 45's with two singles
If you now listen to the 'oldies' stations for classic rock. (80's music)

Written By: Cafe80s on 12/25/05 at 8:28 am

*If you remember more than just He-Man/She-ra, Transformers or Voltron the 3 or 4 most popular & iconic cartoons of the decade & when you ask people in their early 20s & younger if they remember (insert obscure 80s cartoon title) they have no idea what you are talking about.

*If when you think of metal you immediatly think of denim, leather & bullet belts & possibly still wear them as opposed peircings, deadlocks & quarter length shorts & you remember a time when bands could actually play & had absolutly smokin lead guitarists & actually still had solos in their songs.

*When you argue with people in their early 20s & younger about how BMXs were better, more light weight & agile back then because BMX stands for Bicycle Moto Cross & those bikes where made that way because it was all about racing  with a few tricks thrown in for show & not trying to jump off the Empire State Building without breaking the wheels or your neck or snapping the frame & handle bars & you also remember when Mongoose was a good bike made in the USA & not just an overpriced cheap sh!t bike made in Taiwan.

*When you are compeled to defend the pioneering video games to a generation (early 20s & younger) who just can't understand the appeal (even if you were to beat it into their thick skulls) of iconic games that don't have the latest technology & that don't need to be strictly eye candy to be challenging, addictive & fun.

*When you remember a time when hifi systems were actually still being made in Japan & they weren't all made to overly emphasise the bass & put it in the foreground & everything else in the background & you could actually adjust the bass & treble to suit your preference instead of just bass on or off.

*When you still remember dial phones & you are shocked & amazed when someone in their teens has no idea how to use one.

*If you are shocked & horrified when you go to catch up with an old friend & go to their house for a movie night & plan to bring some of your obscure & out of print movies around to remenis & they tell you they don't have a VCR in their house & only have a DVD player.

*When you have to explain yourself when someone younger than 18 asks you "who are Bebop & Rocksteady"? or "who's Krang"?

Written By: Jeffpcmt on 12/25/05 at 11:01 pm

*If you remember when MTV was cutting edge television and played music videos and only music videos 24 hours a day.  (note:  I try to explain this concept to my friends who are in their early 20s and they have NO concept and shrug it off as old people's crap,  ugggh)

*Your favorite iPod playlist is all 80s music (proudly guilty of that one  :P  my 80s mix is 10 hours long and talk about bridging the generation gap  ;)

*You remember when iconic 80s TV shows (i.e. Dukes of Hazzard, Miami Vice, Dallas, Knight Rider, Dynasty , Cosby Show)  were as or more popular (and often better yet cheesier) than Lost and Desperate Houswives are today.

Written By: woops on 12/26/05 at 1:28 am

Remembering Deborah Gibson as  bubblegum pop teen singer "Debbie Gibson" , not a stage actress and songbird

('I'm more of a '90's kid, though I remember some that were still around in the early/mid 1990's...though I was mostly sedated during the '90's also  ::)  :P )

Disney as a pay channel and Looney Tunes shown everywhere on tv before only being available on DVD

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 12/26/05 at 9:18 am

If for the first time ever in your life, you started to feel OLD sometime around the 1999-2003 time frame. 

(and you probably weren't even 30 yet, but you knew you were no longer part of the youth culture)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/26/05 at 8:21 pm

You even just KNOW what an Apple II+, IIe, or IIgs is...
You saw the first Wrestlemania when it was on Pay-Per-View or you had to go somewhere they were showing it
You watched World Class Championship Wrestling or the AWA on ESPN
You watched 'Miami Vice' every week
You remember when the Walkman was quite expensive
You had a Cabbage Patch Kid
You wanted and got your MTV
You played Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, Centipede, yadda yadda yadda....
Your idea of a cool video game system was the Atari 2600

Written By: shinyshinypants on 12/28/05 at 12:28 pm

If you owned a Mini Pops record.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 12/28/05 at 2:25 pm

*If you remember when MTV was cutting edge television and played music videos and only music videos 24 hours a day.

Written By: Davester on 12/28/05 at 5:24 pm

...if you remember seeing this

http://www.revolution242.com/blog/images/022305gene.gif

gawdforsaken man each-and-every time you turned on the gawdforsaken TV..!

Written By: Murphy's Law on 12/29/05 at 2:01 pm

child of the 80's if you wore:
Neon
Parachute Pants
High top Reeboks
Black Rubber bracelets
Friendship pins...safety pins with beads
Acid wash
Knickers with leg warmers

If you skated at the roller rink and your skates had matching laces and pom-poms...
or if your skate covers matched your outfit.

so, so , so many more    :)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/29/05 at 9:49 pm

*If you remember more than just He-Man/She-ra, Transformers or Voltron the 3 or 4 most popular & iconic cartoons of the decade & when you ask people in their early 20s & younger if they remember (insert obscure 80s cartoon title) they have no idea what you are talking about.

*If when you think of metal you immediatly think of denim, leather & bullet belts & possibly still wear them as opposed peircings, deadlocks & quarter length shorts & you remember a time when bands could actually play & had absolutly smokin lead guitarists & actually still had solos in their songs.

*When you argue with people in their early 20s & younger about how BMXs were better, more light weight & agile back then because BMX stands for Bicycle Moto Cross & those bikes where made that way because it was all about racing

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/30/05 at 11:20 am

*When you have to explain yourself when someone younger than 18 asks you "who are Bebop & Rocksteady"? or "who's Krang"?

Teenage Mutant Ninja Ninja Turtles is one of my cartoons!

Recentlly, I got a season one DVD of Fraggle Rock, one of my favorite shows from the 80's.

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 12/31/05 at 2:20 pm

You're old enough to remember JOANIE LOVES CHACHI, 1982-'83.  Let me tell you something, if you can remember when this terrible spin off of Happy Days was on the air, then you definately grew up in the 80s, no questions asked.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 12/31/05 at 3:07 pm

You're old enough to remember JOANIE LOVES CHACHI, 1982-'83.  Let me tell you something, if you can remember when this terrible spin off of Happy Days was on the air, then you definately grew up in the 80s, no questions asked.

for all its' cheeseworthiness, it was okay. didn't they have a nightclub/restaurant together?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/31/05 at 5:54 pm

You remember "Friday Night Videos" on NBC and various local video music shows..Philly had 'Video Rock' on WPHL 17...

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/31/05 at 5:59 pm

If you remember these shows:
"Square Pegs"
"Gimme a Break"
"Degrassi Junior High"
"3-2-1 Contact"

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/31/05 at 6:14 pm

If you remember the Berlin Wall coming down........"Press Your Luck" STOP..AT A WHAMMY!......Grandmaster Flash rap "The Message"......the stock market dive in 1987......the wedding of Prince Charles and Princess Diana......Luke and Laura Spencer(General Hospital).....MS-DOS PC Operating System...Hurricane Gloria...Laura Brannigan's "Gloria"..Quarterflash.....Howard Jones....Men Without Hats "Safety Dance"....1985 Chicago Bears with Jim McMahon as quarterback....

Written By: Davester on 12/31/05 at 7:03 pm

for all its' cheeseworthiness, it was okay. didn't they have a nightclub/restaurant together?

Good one. The cheese fator...

Written By: Satish on 12/31/05 at 7:55 pm

....you had toys like: easy bake oven, light brights, viewmaster, cabbage patch kids doll, pogoball, slip & slide, etc.

Er, most of these toys actually date back to well before the 80s.

The Easy-Bake Oven was introduced in 1963:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easy_Bake_Oven

Lite-Brite came out in 1967:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lite_Brite

And the View-Master was invented way back in 1939:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viewmaster

Written By: Satish on 12/31/05 at 7:58 pm

....It just seems wrong to you to see James Bond being played by anyone other than Timothy Dalton.  ;D

Written By: Satish on 12/31/05 at 8:00 pm

....You thought it'd be neat if your house and all the other houses on your street could combine together and transform into a giant robot called something like "Cherryview Lane"-plex.  :D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/31/05 at 9:50 pm

....It just seems wrong to you to see James Bond being played by anyone other than Timothy Dalton.  ;D

What about Roger Moore?  ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/31/05 at 9:52 pm

That was a really bad show.... It didn't last long, did it?  ;D

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/01/06 at 12:55 pm

You remember "Friday Night Videos" on NBC and various local video music shows..Philly had 'Video Rock' on WPHL 17...

I don't remember Video Rock. Maybe b/c I was too busy watching Friday Night Videos on channel 3! lol

Written By: whistledog on 01/01/06 at 1:04 pm

... you remember that old Transformers commercial where the kid with the green eyes, in his robot like voice, said those three little words ...

"ROBOTS IN DISGUISE"

http://www.kawabunga.com/blog/photos/tfcomm_evilkid.jpg

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/01/06 at 2:13 pm

That..... is creeeeeeepy!  ;D

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/01/06 at 7:55 pm

You acutally thought Hulk Hogan was awesome! Or even if you liked Rowdy Roddy Piper...

or you admit to having "The Wrestling Album".....

Written By: AmandaSparks on 01/01/06 at 8:12 pm

You had a Commodore 64
You wore a Coca Cola rugby shirt and a Swatch on each arm
You beat Zaxxon on Colecovision

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/01/06 at 9:50 pm

Er, most of these toys actually date back to well before the 80s.

The Easy-Bake Oven was introduced in 1963:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easy_Bake_Oven

Lite-Brite came out in 1967:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lite_Brite

And the View-Master was invented way back in 1939:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viewmaster

true...but these were all toys that stand out in my mind as ones that I played with as a child.

Written By: macmcgu on 01/01/06 at 11:54 pm

You grew up with Romper Room. 

The Coyote and Road Runner were not banned from cartoons. 

The girls in your class sold friendship bracelets (braided thread bracelets into patetrns), of which you wore at a minimum of twenty on one arm

You two Swatch watches on your other arm

Cats Eyes sunglasses

You wore matching Jamz or Pacific Coast Highway

You remeber when Olivia Newton John's "Let's Get Physical" was banned from the radios.

Written By: macmcgu on 01/01/06 at 11:55 pm

Oh yeah, one more thing...  Computers:

Tandy

When someone referred to a "Mouse," you thought of a little green triangle that made green straight lines across the screen

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/01/06 at 11:57 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: macmcgu on 01/02/06 at 12:41 am

If going to an exam involving trig, algebra, and/or geometery withOUT a calculator does NOT scare the hell out of you. 

Written By: whistledog on 01/02/06 at 12:43 am

... you had a Commodore Vic-20, an Atari 7800 and a Nintendo Entertainment System

I still have them all too  :)

Written By: Davester on 01/02/06 at 1:00 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: Davester on 01/02/06 at 1:06 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: whistledog on 01/02/06 at 1:19 am

Was told by the store that the 5200 was no longer in production and Atari was no londer servicing them.  This was in '84, mind you, so I think that was a load of hooey...

The infamous Video Game Crash of 1983 pretty much killed Atari

Written By: Davester on 01/02/06 at 1:20 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/02/06 at 1:28 am

No kidding...

What was this video game crash..?

Computers became big, and video game companies started losing cash badly. It didn't help that games like E.T., were being made. It wasn't until Nintendo released the NES in 1985, that things picked up again.

Written By: whistledog on 01/02/06 at 1:32 am

No kidding...

What was this video game crash..?

It was a result of poor quality games, the two big ones of which were the 2600 games Pac-Man and E.T.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/24/A2600_Pac-Man.png http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/06/A2600_E.T..png

They were games that no one wanted to buy because they were just really bad.  As a result, several video game companies went bankrupt.  By 1984, stores were selling off their video games for like $2/each because no one wanted them.  The video game crash lasted 4 years, until 1987, when Nintendo's 8-Bit system (which was released in 1985) had officially become a success

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/02/06 at 1:37 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: whistledog on 01/02/06 at 1:38 am

Ah.... yes.... E.T.   Rumor has it, that is an actual dump where excessive cartidges of it, where dumped because no one wanted to buy it or play it! 

They made too many copies of a game that sucked! 

E.T. wasn't too bad of a game.  It was the only Atari game I could actually finish  ;D

But if you think about it, you could finish it in less than 5 minutes easily.  Back in the day, the cartridge cost like $30-$40 bucks ... so not worth it LOL

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/02/06 at 1:43 am

if you remember Duck Hunt, and the sadistic laughing dog in the game!  ;D

http://www.consoleclassix.com/info_img/Duck_Hunt_NES_ScreenShot2.jpg

http://www.rainbowanimations.com/nes/duckhunt.jpg

Written By: whistledog on 01/02/06 at 1:44 am

I wanted to shoot that dog.  No dog laughs at me and gets away with it  ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/02/06 at 1:46 am

Ditto!  ;D

What about Mike Tyson's Punch Out?

http://www.videogamecritic.net/images/nes/punch-out!.gif

Written By: whistledog on 01/02/06 at 1:49 am

Ditto!  ;D

What about Mike Tyson's Punch Out?

http://www.videogamecritic.net/images/nes/punch-out!.gif

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out rocked.  I used to be so good at that game, I found all the tricks and essentially (with the exception of Mr. Sandman) could KO or TKO every boxer in the first round.  You could even KO Tyson in Round 1.  I only ever did it once though, and never figured out how to do it again  ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/02/06 at 1:53 am

I sucked at it.....  ;D

Written By: Davester on 01/02/06 at 2:05 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: whistledog on 01/02/06 at 2:14 am

I see.  But what I don't get is that these games were flying off the shelves shortly before the crash, right.  I mean, how could people possibly complain about the quality of the games if those are the only games that were ever around..?

Honestly, I was never aware of the great video game crash until now...

I think by the time both Pac-Man and ET were released, people were fed up with paying top price for games that really sucked. 

The Crash of 1983 was actually the second Video Game Crash.  The first one happened in 1977 ... the Atari Pong console became so popular, that other companies started cloning it, causing the market to overload with cloned consoles that couldn't sell as fast as they were being produced.  Since Video Games were relatively new at the time, the crash didn't last long.  The Atari VCS was launched in 1978

Written By: Davester on 01/02/06 at 2:23 am

Well, that certainly explains why the Gemco employees nearly threw us out on our ears when we returned the 5200...

Written By: AmandaSparks on 01/02/06 at 9:29 am

ooh I just remembered something else about the Commodore 64...when I wanted to play a game on it I had to load the game off a cassette tape and it took forever

I had that ET game for Coleco...it was underwhelming

Written By: KKay on 01/02/06 at 10:19 am

you cringe when you hear "rock the casbah' on the oldies channel :\'(

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/02/06 at 10:41 am

if you remember Duck Hunt, and the sadistic laughing dog in the game!  ;D

http://www.consoleclassix.com/info_img/Duck_Hunt_NES_ScreenShot2.jpg

That dog used to make me bust out laughing! It's like he's saying, 'Yeah, you messed up, pal! and now I'm gonna embarass you even more!'

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/02/06 at 10:43 am

You thought Motley Crue was pretty cool....

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 01/02/06 at 12:54 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: whistledog on 01/02/06 at 12:56 pm

ooh I just remembered something else about the Commodore 64...when I wanted to play a game on it I had to load the game off a cassette tape and it took forever

The Commodore Vic-20 I had was similar.  To get the game to work, you popped the cartridge in the back of the keyboard, then you had to type in a series of text commands.  This was of course before I realized you could just pop in the cartridge, turn on the system and the game would load right up  ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/02/06 at 1:25 pm

I also like Super Mario Bros.  Now there is a really great game.

Written By: whistledog on 01/02/06 at 1:31 pm

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/fr/thumb/5/50/NES_Super_Mario_Bros.png/250px-

That was a good one too.  I remember when I was a kid, I was so good at it, I used to go to Zellers and play it on the display one they had there and i'd dazzle everyone there with my skills  ;D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/02/06 at 3:23 pm

I use to kick some major butt on Super Mario Bros. When I was home sick, I'd play and would get to the final level, then all of the sudden I would really start doing really bad, lol. It's been at least 17 years since I've played it!

Written By: macmcgu on 01/02/06 at 3:55 pm

ZELDA

Written By: zachhulk on 01/02/06 at 4:56 pm

If you played Super Mario and then feel compelled to buy an 80s t-shirt. I bought this Super Mario t-shirt because it reminded me of the countless hours I pounded on the joystick. Check it out! http://www.teesnthings.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1402

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/02/06 at 6:01 pm

You had an Atari 2600 but wanted an NES!

Written By: AmandaSparks on 01/02/06 at 6:46 pm

If you played Super Mario and then feel compelled to buy an 80s t-shirt. I bought this Super Mario t-shirt because it reminded me of the countless hours I pounded on the joystick. Check it out! http://www.teesnthings.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1402

I think I need a Price Is Right shirt...great site!

Written By: Cafe80s on 01/03/06 at 12:11 am

If you remember any thrash metal bands that were on the MEGAFORCE RECORDS label...prime example, here in the US, Metallica's 'Kill 'Em All' which is the most kick-ass first album, EVER!

There is a thrash metal thread on this forum somewhere, it's old now but if you do a search it should come up. BTW Kill Em All was originally on Metal Blade Records which is another record label most thrash metal bands started out on in the 80s. The second pressing of Kill Em All was Megaforce, the third pressing was Electra & the fourth & current label (to my knowledge cause i'm long over Metallica) is Vertigo. Can't stand Metallica these days but Kill Em All was by far their best album as far as i'm concerned. Loved that tinny sound the production for that album had which the other albums lacked due to over production. Anyhow i'm getting off the topic now.

Written By: Cafe80s on 01/03/06 at 12:18 am

Resistance Is Futile. You Will Be Assimilated..!

LMAO  ;D

Written By: Cafe80s on 01/03/06 at 12:26 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: Tam on 01/03/06 at 12:35 am

... if you know what a TI99 is

... if you know what Intellivision is

... if you saftey pinned your jeans from your ankle to your knee

... if you watched the Space Shuttle Launches on tv at school

... if you watched the solar eclipse on tv at school

... if you participated in an "air band" contest

... if you remember Road Runner Jeans (and cuffed the bottoms)

I could go on and on ;D ;D

Written By: AmandaSparks on 01/03/06 at 12:48 am

There is a thrash metal thread on this forum somewhere, it's old now but if you do a search it should come up. BTW Kill Em All was originally on Metal Blade Records which is another record label most thrash metal bands started out on in the 80s. The second pressing of Kill Em All was Megaforce, the third pressing was Electra & the fourth & current label (to my knowledge cause i'm long over Metallica) is Vertigo. Can't stand Metallica these days but Kill Em All was by far their best album as far as i'm concerned. Loved that tinny sound the production for that album had which the other albums lacked due to over production. Anyhow i'm getting off the topic now.

You are so right. Hit the lights!

Written By: kellygoo72 on 01/03/06 at 12:57 am

Oh I loved Mario... i still wish i had a nintendo... i hate playstation!

Written By: Cafe80s on 01/03/06 at 1:07 am

That game can STILL be entertaining to play today.  It's that good.  The classics never lose their power.  God I miss the '80s.

I loved Cobra Triangle which i still own. Darn that was a challenging game. NES was also the first game system to release a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game & eventually the first system to release a really sketchy version of the arcade game aswell.
I prefered (& still do) Sega Master System over Nintendo though, because even though Nintedo generally had a better range of titles, Sega Master System had better graphics & colors as opposed to Nintendo's odd browns & greens & limited color palete. Just compare the 2 different versions of Double Dragon & it is obvious. It was as obvious back then as it is now & i can't see why kids who owned a Nintendo weren't willing to admit it. Sega's Double Dragon was by far closer to the arcade version aswell. I bought a Sega Master System just based on that & that in itself was enough to win me over. Ofcourse the tables turned in the 90s when Nintendo released SNES & blew the Genesis out of the water.
You are definitly a child of the 80s if you went to school & remember the rivalry & countless arguments with Nintedo kids if you were a Sega kid & vice versa. It could only be compared to the rivalry between Ford & Holden.

Written By: Cafe80s on 01/03/06 at 1:22 am

If you remember The Pacman Show animated TV series & the Chrismas Special & you remember Pacman as being a phenomenon (spelling?) & not just the title of an old game that one's parents might have grown up playing. And also the word Pacman brings to mind a lot more than a circle eating dots & chasing ghosts through a maze. It brings back many feelings & other memories related to that time frame (1980 -1983)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/03/06 at 3:55 pm

Remember The Power Glove, i thought is was just as useless as R.O.B. the robot. The Coolest extra that wasn't a light phaser was Sega's 3D glasses, but even that wasn't very useful.

Ah... Yeah....... The unnecessary "accesories".  ;D  I didn't own one, but I did own the light gun, along with Duck Hunt.

Written By: Bratpac on 01/06/06 at 11:50 am

if you can remember what an 8 track tape was and when you listened to records.
if you remember getting up early to watch Saturday mornning cartoons.
if you remember after school specials.
if you remember Tom Hanks in "Bussom Buddies" and "Splash"
if you remember watching 321 Contact, You can't do this on Television, or when Mr. Rogers was in the neighborhood.
if you remember when the burnning question of the year was "Who shot J.R?"
if you remember when Bo Duke was hot (girls) or Daisy (guys)
if you remember going to the roller rink on a date.
if you rememver E.T phoning home.
if you remember guys wore florecent (spelling?)
if you remember who John Hughes was.
if you remember playing with Star Wars action figures
if you remember Ozzy not as an actor
if you remember Rick Schroder as "Ricky" Schoder in The Champ or Silver Spoons not on YPD Blue.
if you remember Poltergiest freaking you out.
if you thought Tron was high-tech at the movies.
if you know what an Ewak is.
if you remember party lines.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/06/06 at 6:19 pm

I am not sure about Ewaks, but I do know of Ewoks!  ;D  Alot of Star Wars fans are divided about them, with some thinking they were added to Return of The Jedi, for purely commerical reasons by Lucas. I liked the Ewoks alot!

Poltergeist is one of my favorite films, the creepy clown..... still scares the crap out of me!  ;D

Written By: nascarbr on 01/07/06 at 4:06 pm

;D

if you remember buying your fist record or tape at your local Turtles Records & Tapes, awesome.

There is a turtle's music records & tapes memorabilia gift coin for sale on e-bay right now!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/07/06 at 4:49 pm

... you can remember beepers were around more than cell phones. Cell phones were big clunky cordless phones that took 2 days to charge to get 15 minutes of talk time.

Written By: BCRichrocker on 01/07/06 at 10:53 pm

You are old enough to actually remember the 80s like they were yesterday....

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/08/06 at 12:44 am

... carrying your Thermos brand lunchbox to school with My Little Pony on it.

Written By: macmcgu on 01/12/06 at 11:46 pm

You thought Motley Crue was pretty cool....

What, they're not cool anymore??  I didn't get the memo.

Check for new replies or respond here...