inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Need a little feedback

Written By: OliverDK on 12/28/05 at 8:16 am

I've read a lot about the 80s and our generation, and most of it have been pure nonsense, simply because the writer didn't understand the subject, and it occurred to me that none of those writers belong to our generation, so I've decided to write a book of my own.

The title I've chosen is "Child if the 80s - The Last Cold War Generation" and I'm writing in my native Danish, so a lot of it will obviously be about Denmark in the 80s, but I am planning a version in English, I would really like to hear from all of you if you have any suggestions, like special topics you'd like to see in such a book.

It all started for me when I decided to recreate my vinyl collection, and since then I've been Stuck in the 80s - as the saying goes - and I'm even working with some friends trying to organize a big 80s party/festival, that we'd like very much to see become an annual event.

I met a lot of people who call themselves Children of the 80s since I got stuck, but I've also met many of our generation who don't think the 80s were anything special, they don't understand this fascination with what to them is the past, maybe it's just that they just grew up and we didn't.

Subject: Re: Need a little feedback

Written By: Carl on 12/28/05 at 9:09 am

That's a good idea, I say you should include the topic of 80s music and fads of course, but also other stuff like the whole yuppie movement, the 'Cold War' of course, and memories that many people have, I say interview a bunch of people for the book as well.

Written By: OliverDK on 12/28/05 at 9:33 am

That's a good idea, I say you should include the topic of 80s music and fads of course, but also other stuff like the whole yuppie movement, the 'Cold War' of course, and memories that many people have, I say interview a bunch of people for the book as well.

Hadn't thought of interviewing people, but that's a good idea, thanks.

Written By: macmcgu on 12/31/05 at 9:29 pm

The 80's was about accessorizing.  This, being in a consumer sense, but also politically.  The Cold War was at it's height, and Reagan (despite differing opinions on the actor-politician) did do the right thing by "out spending" the Soviet Empire, thus causing a collapse and the end of the Cold War.  Taking this mad spending spree, the consumer market fell victim as well, though less good came from that.  We saw average debt skyrocket and the "Gold" card come into play.  Ahh, plastic money.  People spent for the eleventh-hour of our society we all thought was coming.  Remeber Black Monday??? Not be confused with Black Friday.  Stock market plummetted and the hot political topic was national debt.  The 80's:  cultural, societal, huminatrian, political, and military (all the driving forces of a society) all had the same goal:  SPEND MONEY, that is the 80's in a nut shell.  Why else would you wear two pairs of socks, three shirts, and three belts, and four yrards of bracelets with enough hairpieces to hide the ton of crimped hair at the same time?

Check for new replies or respond here...