inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: New Wave experts; what makes it New Wave?

Written By: KKay on 12/31/05 at 8:45 am

I had an argument with someone who claimed that New Wave, real new wave songs,  do not use guitars; it's all
synthesized, etc...do you consider B52s as New Wave? Gary Numan?  Can you experts tell me what you think so I can win this thing? Guitars or no?

Subject: Re: New Wave experts; what makes it New Wave?

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/31/05 at 1:23 pm

I think it depends on how technical you wanna get. Overall, I think it basically means a very streamlined, mainstream version of punk that just happens to use alot of synthesizers. It was revolutionary when it started (say 1979-86 were the "peak" years), because synths had never really been used in music to such an extent before. Gary Numan's "Cars" was probably the first really popular new wave song.

Some of the college radio tracks of the 80's could also fit this description.

I'd consider A-ha, Men at Work and Duran Duran to be pop just as much as new wave. Now, the Cars (esp. Heartbeat City era), Billy Idol, the Romantics stuff like that - this is more hard rock-styled new wave.

It's all got the same genetic makeup, just some of them fit into multiple genres, if that makes sense.

Written By: alyceclover on 12/31/05 at 1:51 pm

Clueless. When I hear "new wave" I think "Enya" and that type of peaceful, less popular music; won't think guitars were part of it. Wish I could be more helpful. Really hard to define music by labels. Decades ago, one could instantly tell if a song were C & W or Pop or R&B.

Written By: KKay on 12/31/05 at 4:08 pm

Clueless. When I hear "new wave" I think "Enya" and that type of peaceful, less popular music; won't think guitars were part of it. Wish I could be more helpful. Really hard to define music by labels. Decades ago, one could instantly tell if a song were C & W or Pop or R&B.

I think Enya is New Age...
I agree that OMG is new wave...and i think it has guitars..
Kid Creole?
New Order?

Written By: Schillingfan on 01/03/06 at 4:45 pm

I read somewhere that Thomas Dolby's Golden Age Of Wireless (1982) was one of the 1st New Wave albums

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/03/06 at 5:19 pm

I think of New Wave as synth stuff, but certain synthy stuff, like a-ha and Wham!, is a little too mainstream to be New Wave, but it could squeeze in.

I think the most New Wave stuff is a synth/guitar mix of 80ish pop-punk, that is bands like Talking Heads, Echo and The Bunnymen, Tears for Fears, Devo, Waitresses, etc.  Stuff that's really quite similar to a lot of 1990s/'00s Indie Rock. 

Bands I'd Consider New Wave (they aren't all of them, not even close)

B-52s (pre-Cosmic Thing)
Cars
Devo
Depeche Mode (Violator and before)
Cure
Tears for Fears
The Postal Service
Psychedelic Furs
A Flock of Seagulls
Duran Duran
Talk Talk (pre-New Age)
Talking Heads
Pet Shop Boys
The Killers
Missing Persons
Culture Club
Go-Go's

NOT New Wave

a-ha
Wham!
The Bangles
Bon Jovi
Bananarama (actually they're borderline New Wave)

Check for new replies or respond here...