inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Designer Jean Assistance

Written By: macmcgu on 01/01/06 at 11:30 pm

Earlier, I wrote a thread about wanting to find the tapered jeans with the zipper on the ankles.  I was looking very hard for several days for Guess Jeans.  I have not been able to find them.  Jordache is next to impossible to find as well with a straight tapered leg (no zipper, they never made them, but I loved the look of Jordache).  I did manage to find some jeans that fit the ankle zipper style known in the '80's.  However, being male, I was never much into the names of the designers.  So, here is a list of the makers of the jeans I have managed to locate, and I am respectfully requesting assistance as to which we well known and bought.

JouJou
Jean St. Germain
Marc Phillipe
Bakardi
Moda International
Gasoline (I do know of this brand)
Via West
Chic (also know of them)

Which were the most sought after in the '80's?

Subject: Re: Designer Jean Assistance

Written By: ADH13 on 01/02/06 at 1:04 pm

Earlier, I wrote a thread about wanting to find the tapered jeans with the zipper on the ankles.  I was looking very hard for several days for Guess Jeans.  I have not been able to find them.  Jordache is next to impossible to find as well with a straight tapered leg (no zipper, they never made them, but I loved the look of Jordache).  I did manage to find some jeans that fit the ankle zipper style known in the '80's.  However, being male, I was never much into the names of the designers.  So, here is a list of the makers of the jeans I have managed to locate, and I am respectfully requesting assistance as to which we well known and bought.

JouJou
Jean St. Germain
Marc Phillipe
Bakardi
Moda International
Gasoline (I do know of this brand)
Via West
Chic (also know of them)

Which were the most sought after in the '80's?

Well, I don't know how helpful I could be when it comes to mens jeans, but I can give you some of the brands of designer jeans, and maybe you can check to see if they ever made men's.

Jordache did make tapered leg jeans with zippers at the ankles, I have quite a few pairs of ladies ones.

Here are some others:

Jordache
Sergio Valente
Sasson
Gitano
Gloria Vanderbilt
Calvin Klein
Bonjour
Lee
Levis
Wrangler
Britannia
Zena

Then some of the later 80's tapered leg jeans are:

Bongo
London Jean
NY & Co
Route 66
Edwin
Faded Glory
Ellemenno
Esprit
Banana Republic
Lizwear
Gap
Guess
Palmettos
Bill Blass
Eddie Bauer
L.E.I.

I know there are even more, but those are all I can think of off the top of my head.  Hope it helps!

Written By: macmcgu on 01/02/06 at 1:35 pm

I'm looking for women's.  I have my outfit already, but women's jeans are harder to find.  Zipper at the ankles is the style we're looking for the most.

Written By: ADH13 on 01/02/06 at 1:41 pm

I'm looking for women's.  I have my outfit already, but women's jeans are harder to find.  Zipper at the ankles is the style we're looking for the most.

Your best bet is the thrift shops... Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc.  That is where I usually find them.

The Jordache jeans with the zippers shouldn't be too hard to find... I usually see a few pairs of those everytime I go.  Sergio Valente and the early Jordache with the fancy pockets are the hardest to find.

Written By: macmcgu on 01/02/06 at 7:45 pm

A couple last questions

Written By: Tam on 01/02/06 at 8:50 pm

Hmmm... I don't know what size it would make her in 80's... but I do know where you can start looking for the jeans.

Try this: http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&fstype=1&from=R10&satitle=zip+ankle+jeans&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&bs=Search&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search&a54=-24&a22868=-24&a94=-24&gcs=1113&pfid=1286&reqtype=1&pfmode=1&alist=a54%2Ca22868%2Ca53%2Ca94%2Ca3801&pf_query=zip+ankle+jeans&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=76541&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=

Dang! That's pretty long! LOL
Slouch socks are definitely a good start, high top Converse in colours would help too. Don't forget great big earrings, preferably plastic - her shoes should be real pointed and flats (we called them pickle stabbers) ;D

Good luck!!

Written By: macmcgu on 01/02/06 at 9:00 pm

I searched all over E-Bay for the past two weeks.  How did you find them?

Written By: Tam on 01/02/06 at 11:36 pm

Check your PM's

;) :)

Written By: ADH13 on 01/03/06 at 12:57 am

As far as I've seen, only the really early 80's "designer jeans" type differ in size from today's.  The Jordache zippered-ankle jeans were later in the 80's and fit me the same as today's sizes.  If you have trouble telling the difference, the early 80's ones I'm talking about had white or orange thread and fancy designs on the pockets, and were usually straight leg and not pre-washed.

The zippered-ankle jeans have thread the same color as the jeans, and are pre-washed denim so you can tell they were more mid 80's.

Check for new replies or respond here...