inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Donnie Darko Appreciation Thread

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/02/06 at 8:01 pm

I love the movie Donnie Darko, the greatest movie of all time. 

It's so brilliant, the whole time travel thing, and one of the best things about the movie is how realistic its portrayal of the late 1980s is.

Subject: Re: Donnie Darko Appreciation Thread

Written By: whistledog on 01/02/06 at 8:03 pm

Yes, but didn't this movie come out in the 00s?  ???

It was such an awesome movie yes.  When I first saw it, I didn't even realize it was in the 80's, until I saw it a 2nd time.  I love how the DVD Special Features has the full fake informercials with Patrick Swayze  ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/02/06 at 8:23 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: McDonald on 01/02/06 at 11:22 pm

The movie was brilliant. When I saw it, I didn't know what to do with myself. It actually changed me.

I saw the director's cut as well, in the cinema at a special screening. I didn't like the soundtrack changes, but I enhoyed the extra scenes.

This was Jake Gyllenhall's (sp?) best performance ever. Same goes for Swayze.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/02/06 at 11:49 pm

The movie was brilliant. When I saw it, I didn't know what to do with myself. It actually changed me.

I saw the director's cut as well, in the cinema at a special screening. I didn't like the soundtrack changes, but I enhoyed the extra scenes.

This was Jake Gyllenhall's (sp?) best performance ever. Same goes for Swayze.

I saw the Director's Cut.  Changed my life too, I feel more in touch with people's feelings after seeing it.  My favorite ever, totally amazing on so many levels:

1. Creepiness

Frank the Rabbit is about the scariest thing ever, seriously.

2. Emotion

You really feel for Donnie and the other characters in this movie.

3. Acting

Jake is awesome as Donnie, Swayze makes an awesome blowhard.

4. Mystery/Speculativeness

My favorite movies/books/shows are those in which you can speculate.

5. Babes

Even Donnie's mom is good looking.

6. Comedy

Donnie Darko is not a comedy, but the comedy it has is glorious.

"What's a f***a$$?"

7. Awesome, Accurate 80s Nostalgia

I don't remember 1988, but it's portrayal seemed really honest.  Really, if you don't think about it much it could easily be in 2001.  But, the Smurf scene and the lack of Political Correctness makes it seem authentic, along with the lack of computers.

I also recommend "Fight Club", in fact I want to start a Fight Club.  ;D

Written By: Criz on 01/03/06 at 3:56 pm

The film is amazing. I've seen it countless times, and every time I spot something new.

I adore the soundtrack...'The Killing Moon' and 'Head Over Heels' are two of my favourite 80s tracks - I especially love the sequence in the film where they play 'Head over Heels' - the cinematography in that part is (for use of a better 80s word) awesome!! :D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/03/06 at 4:01 pm

I like the movie, enough that I own both the original and Director's Cut.  The creepy bunny is defintely creepy.  ;D

Written By: McDonald on 01/03/06 at 4:54 pm

I adore the soundtrack...'The Killing Moon' and 'Head Over Heels' are two of my favourite 80s tracks -

Yeah, I was really pissed when I went to the cinema to see the director's cut, to find that they had removed "The Killing Moon" from the soundtrack, and replaced it with "Never Tear Us Apart" by INXS. "The Killing Moon" sets the mood for the rest of the movie, as it is the first song (in the original, anyway). Removing it was a big mistake. 

Written By: Criz on 01/09/06 at 12:51 pm

I haven't seen the Directors Cut - but heard that they took the song out. I wonder why, I think it fits in so well! I seem to recall that it's speeded up a bit though? Or is it just me?!!

Check for new replies or respond here...