inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Early Bryan Adams (1977-1982)

Written By: whistledog on 01/03/06 at 12:21 am

Anyone else like those early Bryan Adams songs?

In 1977, Adams got his start at Age 14 in a band called Sweeney Todd.  This band was already a success with a self-titled album and a song called Roxy Roller, which in 1976, hit #1 in Canada and even made a minor impact in America.  When lead singer Nick Gilder left for a solo career, then unknown Adams was hired to fill the role, and a re-recorded version of Roxy Roller hit #99 in America.  The resulting 1977 second album If Wishes Were Horses with Bryan now on vocals however was not a success, so Bryan left for a solo career.

Bryan's first solo single was a 1979 disco song titled Let Me Take You Dancing, which became a modest club hit.  His 1980 self-titled debut album followed, and although it was not a big success, it did chart three minor hits in Canada with Remember, Give Me Your Love and Hidin' From Love, the latter which made #43 on the Billboard Dance Charts

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000006Z12.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000002GA6.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

His second album You Want It - You Got It was his breakthrough album in Canada.  It launched three songs into the Canadian top 40 with Fits Ya Good, Coming Home and Lonely Nights, the latter which became his first official solo hit in America, where it peaked at #84 on Billboard in 1982

In 1983, Bryan released his third album "Cuts Like A Knife", the album that would break him internationally

Subject: Re: Early Bryan Adams (1977-1982)

Written By: Climber on 01/03/06 at 3:19 pm

I love his music.  I even have You Want It You Got It on vinyl.  Only problem; it's been so long since I listened to that one (turn table is broken), I don't remember any of the songs :-[.

Written By: whistledog on 01/03/06 at 9:45 pm

I love his music.  I even have You Want It You Got It on vinyl.  Only problem; it's been so long since I listened to that one (turn table is broken), I don't remember any of the songs :-[.

You Want It You Got It is one definately worth getting on CD, as none of the hits from it ever seem to make it on Greatest Hits albums that he puts out

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/04/06 at 1:20 am

Cool stuff. I like alot of his work, and had an idea of his involvement in songwriting and such before making it big on his own. So that was interesting to read about.

Small correction, though: he was born in 1959 (I'm a geek, so I remember everything like that, especially dates!), so he would've been 14 in 1973 and '74. I recall reading once, that he left school when he was 15, so the 1977 date must've made him 17 or 18.

Written By: whistledog on 01/04/06 at 1:29 am

Small correction, though: he was born in 1959 (I'm a geek, so I remember everything like that, especially dates!), so he would've been 14 in 1973 and '74. I recall reading once, that he left school when he was 15, so the 1977 date must've made him 17 or 18.

I sort of had a feeling that the 14 age was a bit young.  I took that info from a site about Sweeney Todd.  Looks like they were wrong.  LOL

I knew he was born in 1959 also, mainly because he was born right here in my fair city  :)

Written By: 80sLADY on 01/21/06 at 2:05 am

I am a huge fan of Bryan Adams!!!!  I enjoy all of his work.  Thank you for enjoying as I do an amazing Canadian artist. 

Cuts Like a Knife - one of my favorites

Written By: Bratpac on 01/22/06 at 12:16 pm

He is one of my favs and I listened to him alot.  I remember having an auto tape I believe it was Cutts like a Knife.  I played that like all the time.  Which fair city are you from?  I'm from Fredericktown, home of Luke Perry.  ;)

Written By: Dude111 on 03/14/18 at 11:09 pm

Anyone else like those early Bryan Adams songs?

Wow im glad I found this thread!!!!!!

Yes I love his 1978 song called I WANNA TAKE YOU DANCING but sadly all I can find is that 1979 remixed piece of crap!!!!! (Its faster and sounds horrible)

I ordered a record from the UK that was labeled THE ORIGINAL UK SINGLE..... It isnt,its the same garbage I had found here!! (Just the label different)

EVEN BRYAN ADAMS DOESNT LIKE WHAT THEY DID TO HIS SONG!!!!!!!!

Ah well.....

Written By: Howard on 03/15/18 at 7:23 am

Wow im glad I found this thread!!!!!!

Yes I love his 1978 song called I WANNA TAKE YOU DANCING but sadly all I can find is that 1979 remixed piece of crap!!!!! (Its faster and sounds horrible)

I ordered a record from the UK that was labeled THE ORIGINAL UK SINGLE..... It isnt,its the same garbage I had found here!! (Just the label different)

EVEN BRYAN ADAMS DOESNT LIKE WHAT THEY DID TO HIS SONG!!!!!!!!

Ah well.....

At first, when I heard this song I thought it was some kid that sang this song but when I found out it was Bryan Adams I couldn't believe my ears, that couldn't be him. :o

Written By: Dude111 on 03/15/18 at 9:22 pm

Ya they sped the song up to make it sound MORE DISCO..... Its garbage!!

If you press down on the turntable and slow it down a bit,it sounds excellent and Bryans voice is usual!!!

Written By: Howard on 03/16/18 at 7:06 am

Ya they sped the song up to make it sound MORE DISCO..... Its garbage!!

If you press down on the turntable and slow it down a bit,it sounds excellent and Bryans voice is usual!!!

and I thought Bryan's voice was more froggy and smoky, that song makes him sound like an early Donny Osmond or Michael Jackson. ;D

Written By: whistledog on 03/16/18 at 1:34 pm

In 1977, Adams got his start at Age 14 in a band called Sweeney Todd.  This band was already a success with a self-titled album and a song called Roxy Roller, which in 1976, hit #1 in Canada and even made a minor impact in America.  When lead singer Nick Gilder left for a solo career, then unknown Adams was hired to fill the role, and a re-recorded version of Roxy Roller hit #99 in America.  The resulting 1977 second album If Wishes Were Horses with Bryan now on vocals however was not a success, so Bryan left for a solo career.

I should clarify on this.  He first appeared with Sweeney Todd in 1976.  The album wasn't a major success, but it still produced 2 hit singles in Canada:  Say hello, say goodbye (which made #75 in 1976) and If wishes were horses (which made #59 in 1977).

His 1979 solo debut single Let me take you dancing made #62 in Canada

On his second album You want it - you got it, only one of the singles made the Canadian top 40:  Fits ya good peaked at #35.  The two other singles Lonely nights and Coming home never charted nationally, but in some local markets, they made the local Top 40.

From his 1980 debut, two singles charted in Canada:  Hidin' from love made #64 and Give me your love made #91.

Prior to his major breakthrough with the Cuts like a knife album in 1983, his first entry into the US Top 40 was not as a singer, but as a songwriter when the Canadian rock band Prism took his song Don't let him know to US #39 in early 1982.

ocEQsUXM9QQ

That same year (1982) in Canada, a Scottish rock band called Rosetta Stone took his song Hidin' from love to CAN #46

Dso4dIT-lfc

Written By: Dude111 on 03/17/18 at 1:06 am

Thank you Whistledog for your added entry on this :)

Im glad you also like Mr. Adams!!

Written By: Howard on 03/17/18 at 2:38 pm

I should clarify on this.  He first appeared with Sweeney Todd in 1976.  The album wasn't a major success, but it still produced 2 hit singles in Canada:  Say hello, say goodbye (which made #75 in 1976) and If wishes were horses (which made #59 in 1977).

His 1979 solo debut single Let me take you dancing made #62 in Canada

On his second album You want it - you got it, only one of the singles made the Canadian top 40:  Fits ya good peaked at #35.  The two other singles Lonely nights and Coming home never charted nationally, but in some local markets, they made the local Top 40.

From his 1980 debut, two singles charted in Canada:  Hidin' from love made #64 and Give me your love made #91.

Prior to his major breakthrough with the Cuts like a knife album in 1983, his first entry into the US Top 40 was not as a singer, but as a songwriter when the Canadian rock band Prism took his song Don't let him know to US #39 in early 1982.

ocEQsUXM9QQ

That same year (1982) in Canada, a Scottish rock band called Rosetta Stone took his song Hidin' from love to CAN #46

Dso4dIT-lfc

and how did it do in The U.S.? ???

Written By: whistledog on 03/18/18 at 1:55 pm

Thank you Whistledog for your added entry on this :)

Im glad you also like Mr. Adams!!

He was born in the city where I've lived almost my whole life.  I kind of sort of have to lol
As a singer/songwriter, he really does have great talent.  I've liked almost everything he's ever done

His first success as a songwriter for other artists came in 1980.  He co-wrote a song about the late Dorothy Stratten titled Cover girl which the band Prism recorded.  It did not become a hit per se, but it did chart on several local radio stations in several major cities across Canada.  Like Stratten, both Bryan Adams and Prism got their start in Vancouver.

p2OWD4o12Rg

Written By: whistledog on 03/18/18 at 1:58 pm

and how did it do in The U.S.? ???

It reached #22 on the Disco Action Chart (that chart is now known as Hot Dance music / Club Play) but was never a Hot 100 hit

Written By: Howard on 03/18/18 at 2:06 pm

It reached #22 on the Disco Action Chart (that chart is now known as Hot Dance music / Club Play) but was never a Hot 100 hit

TBH, that's not bad.

Check for new replies or respond here...