inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Popular 80's songs that don't have videos?

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/03/06 at 7:42 pm

I was watching a ton of music videos I have on tape recently and ended up thinking about this. I figured it would be cool to put a list together of these songs (of course, making one didn't become almost essential until about 1983, so I can kinda understand some of the 1980-82 songs not having them).

Off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure these don't:

Cover Me - Bruce Springsteen
King of Pain - Police
Why Can't This Be Love - Van Halen
Somebody's Baby - Jackson Browne
Stuck On You - Lionel Richie
Girl Can't Help it - Journey (actually, all the singles from Raised on Radio don't have 'em)
Walking on a Thin Line - Huey Lewis
Urgent - Foreigner

P.S. As a bonus, I thought it would be cool to possibly describe a good video for certain songs.

Subject: Re: Popular 80's songs that don't have videos?

Written By: whistledog on 01/03/06 at 9:41 pm

Walking on A Thin Line did have a video, but I saw it so long ago, I don't even remember what it's premise was  ;D

One I know for sure that doesn't have a music video is Sausalito Summernight by Diesel

Written By: yelimsexa on 05/28/15 at 1:11 pm

Time to revive this thread again since its interesting to see that. What I've listed here is from the post-Thriller '80s since around that time MTV started to become a staple. Ironically, the man who made MTV the phenomeon it did combined with the album of the decade, the majority of Thriller's singles did not have a music video released, even with three of the four singles listed below being released after Billie Jean and Beat It. Of course many songs from 1980, 1981, 1982 didn't have a video, but your lists should preferably focus on 1983 onwards. While Billie Jean definitely launched the music video as not just a passing fad, it wasn't really until after the Thriller video at the end of 1983/beginning of 1984 that it became really essential to have a video, so expect a good number of 1983 songs on this list.

Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton- Islands in the Stream (the final #1 Billboard hit that didn't have a video at all)
Boston's Amanda didn't have a video to promote it initially, but later a version from a live tour was used.
Bruce Springsteen- I'm Goin' Down
Stevie Wonder- Get It
Michael Jackson- The Girl Is Mine
Michael Jackson- Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'
Michael Jackson- P.Y.T.
Michael Jackson- Human Nature (Interesting that all of the Thriller singles released with a video didn't have a 45 RPM picture sleeve and vice-versa).
Michael Jackson- I Just Can't Stop Loving You
Madonna- Angel
Madonna- Crazy For You (the video footage that's often shown online was compiled much later from Vision Quest. In fact, other Madonna songs from movies, such as Into the Groove, Causing a Commotion, and Hanky Panky are also subject to this.)
Prince & the Revolution- Pop Life
Keith Sweat- I Want Her
Cover Girls- Promise Me
Whitney Houston- Love Will Save the Day

Written By: ralfy on 05/30/15 at 3:09 am

Maybe

Wild Swans - Bringing Home the Ashes
China Crisis - African and White
Wire Train - Chamber of Hellos
Seona Dancing - More to Lose
Cactus World News - The Bridge
The Cure - Fire in Cairo
Book of Love - I Touch Roses
The Colourfield - Thinking of You
Cetu Javu - Situations
The Waterboys - Whole of the Moon, The Pan Within
Devo - Snowball
The Chameleons - Perfume Garden
Violent Femmes - Blister in the Sun
Elvis Costello - Girls Talk
The Mission UK - Garden of Delight
Lotus Eaters - German Girl, It Hurts
The Care - Flaming Sword, Whatever Possessed You
The Pale Fountains - Palm of My Hand
The Smiths - Please Please Let Me Get What I Want
Propaganda - Duel
Fra Lippo Lippi - The Distance Between Us
Depeche Mode - Flexible
The Church - Unguarded Moment
Bolshoi - Love Moves in Strange Ways
The The - Uncertain Smile

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 05/30/15 at 3:53 pm

I was watching a ton of music videos I have on tape recently and ended up thinking about this. I figured it would be cool to put a list together of these songs (of course, making one didn't become almost essential until about 1983, so I can kinda understand some of the 1980-82 songs not having them).

King of Pain - Police
Girl Can't Help it - Journey (actually, all the singles from Raised on Radio don't have 'em)
Urgent - Foreigner

P.S. As a bonus, I thought it would be cool to possibly describe a good video for certain songs.

STVcNX7anGU

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 05/30/15 at 4:04 pm

Platinum Blonde
Animal
Red Light
Lost In Space
It Ain't Love
Cinderella Story
Chaperone Sally
Take It From Me
All Fall Down
Sad Sad Rain
Holy Water
Connect Me

Written By: Howard on 05/30/15 at 5:39 pm

King of Pain - Police
Urgent - Foreigner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFN5DveQH0o

Check for new replies or respond here...