inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is it fruity for a guy to like "Sixteen Candles"

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/04/06 at 12:46 am

I like Sixteen Candles, from what I've seen.  Am I gay/is that gay?  ;D

Subject: Re: Is it fruity for a guy to like "Sixteen Candles"

Written By: ADH13 on 01/04/06 at 12:47 am

I don't see why that would make you gay...

I prefered matchbox cars over barbies when I was a kid, and I'm female.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/04/06 at 12:48 am

and I played GI Joes with my brothers and his friends.

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/04/06 at 12:52 am

If it is, then I'm a certified fruit (and since I'm a guy and have always been stright, I guess that automatically answers the question). ;D

It was a cute movie. Funny for the most part, but overall it kinda had a "serious" underlying message, just like many of John Hughes movies did. In watching it, I always felt sorry for Samantha that no one wanted to go out with her -- though maybe it's a personal thing. Speaking from a guy's point of view, I always thought the "average" looking girls were alot more attractive (not just physically, but mentally) than the beauty queens and cheerleaders. Which most other guys seem to obsess over.

All she wanted was a boyfriend and someone to be close with, just like anyone else.

P.S. Forgive the editorailizing on this - I know they're all fictional characters! ;)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/04/06 at 12:54 am

If it is, then I'm a certified fruit (and since I'm a guy and have always been stright, I guess that automatically answers the question). ;D

It was a cute movie. Funny for the most part, but overall it kinda had a "serious" underlying message, just like many of John Hughes movies did. In watching it, I always felt sorry for Samantha that no one wanted to go out with her -- though maybe it's a personal thing. Speaking from a guy's point of view, I always thought the "average" looking girls were alot more attractive (not just physically, but mentally) than the beauty queens and cheerleaders. Which most other guys seem to obsess over.

All she wanted was a boyfriend and someone to be close with, just like anyone else.

P.S. Forgive the editorailizing on this - I know they're all fictional characters! ;)

I think fictional characters are, in a sense, made real by the people who watch them.

And Molly Ringwald was a babe back then  ;)

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/04/06 at 12:57 am

I think fictional characters are, in a sense, made real by the people who watch them.

Very much so. Sure, the exact situations and lives of each character is made up, but almost always it's based on something real from people's lives. That's what makes it relatable in the first place (shows like Full House were very good at this).

That's not just the theatre/film major in me talking either, LOL.

And Molly Ringwald was a babe back then  ;)

Yep. Still is too (though that's also coming from a guy who's always kinda liked older women). ;)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/04/06 at 12:58 am

Very much so. Sure, the exact situations and lives of each character is made up, but almost always it's based on something real from people's lives. That's what makes it relatable in the first place (shows like Full House were very good at this).

That's not just the theatre/film major in me talking either, LOL.

Yep. Still is too (though that's also coming from a guy who's always kinda liked older women). ;)

Is she still?  I'm not big on older women, but occasionally there is an exception (Demi Moore is not one of them  ;D )

Written By: kellygoo72 on 01/04/06 at 1:10 am

LOL  I think this question is funny.... Sixteen Candles is a great movie... for men and women, we can all relate.. and besides... fruit is good.. I love fruit!  LOL ;)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/04/06 at 1:10 am

I knew this would be a hot topic  ;D

Written By: robby76 on 01/04/06 at 1:12 am

I liked Sixteen Candles. However I LOVE both Punky Brewster and Jem, so I guess I'm just one big basket of fruit and then some!  ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/04/06 at 1:14 am

I liked Sixteen Candles. However I LOVE both Punky Brewster and Jem, so I guess I'm just one big basket of fruit and then some!  ;D

I'm definitely hetero, but I think I have a little itty bit of gay in me.  I've never felt the desire to do a dude, but sometimes I can sorta feel very slightly attracted to a guy like Brad Pitt  ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/04/06 at 1:16 am

Is she still?  I'm not big on older women, but occasionally there is an exception (Demi Moore is not one of them  ;D )

A few years ago, she had a cameo as the flight attendant at the end of Not Another Teen Movie, and pretty much still looked the same (older, but the same look).

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/04/06 at 1:23 am

A few years ago, she had a cameo as the flight attendant at the end of Not Another Teen Movie, and pretty much still looked the same (older, but the same look).

I can picture that.  She was hot.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/04/06 at 9:59 am

I think that the movie is pretty good, and I also got it on DVD recently. 

Written By: Acidpiss on 01/04/06 at 5:56 pm

John Hughes is the man.
Hands down the king of the 80's teen drama.
Besides, he was Kevin Smith's biggest cinematic influence, so without him there probably wouldn't have been a "Clerks".
And that, my friends, is a world you don't want to live in.

Written By: Paul on 01/04/06 at 6:02 pm

I've not seen the movie, so I don't know how (or indeed, care how) it would affect your sexual preference...

...but the song 'Sixteen Candles' (I assume it must have been used in the film) is a copper-bottomed classic...!

Written By: Todd on 01/04/06 at 8:34 pm

One of my most favorite dates happened the night we went to see Sixteen Candles...my GIRLfriend and I spent the night at a snazzy hotel room.  And so what if I wear dresses?  The one I have in my pic is from the 80s!! Try and figure me out!! Where am I going with all this??  Sixteen Candles is a great movie..and doesnt make one straight or gay!  So enjoy it!

Written By: McDonald on 01/05/06 at 12:17 am

Gender is BS. Someone's gender is not the determinant for the things they will like and dislike. It has an effect, certainly, but it affects everyone differently and there is little, if any, consistency. Therefore, even for purposes of stereotyping, it's a useless concept. There's only one universal difference between men and women, and that's which set of tackle you're working with.

You like what you like. Your taste in music, movies, fashion, etc... is irrelevent in classifying your sexuality.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/05/06 at 3:12 am

I dunno.  I do remember eating Good 'n' Fruities when my sister and I went to see it in the theater.  Eating Good 'n' Fruities and going to the movies with one's sister makes a guy pretty, uh, fruity in any color, I must say!
:-[

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 01/05/06 at 6:40 pm

"Sixteen Candles" was a funny movie, and I don't see how it could have been considered "gay." (I do get it mixed up with "Pretty In Pink" for some reason, though.) My only knock against John Hughes movies is that they seem a little too unrealistic, but they're also great escapist teen fansaties.

Don't be afraid to like what you like, and screw what anyone else thinks.  :)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/08/06 at 4:15 am

No! If you like Sixteen Candles you are not gay. , but if you like Steel Magnolias, I'm thinking maybe.

Written By: McDonald on 01/08/06 at 10:02 am

I just watched Sixteen Candles last night for the first time, and didn't think it was anything special. It was probably the worst Hughes film I've seen yet. Nowhere near as good as Pretty in Pink.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/08/06 at 11:35 am

Each to his/her own. I enjoy the comic characters of 16 candles, and the grandparents and of course Long Duk Dong, but I can't get into pretty in pink. I watch a couple minutes and then I'm bored. Thats my opinion. Molly Ringwald is a cutie in both. She was in a movie drama, called malice or malicious that was a dramatic role change for her.

Written By: GREEN67 on 01/08/06 at 9:48 pm

8) Personally I liked all the "Brat Pack" films..Sixteen Candles was very good..I can see both males and females liking the movie..for the regular average dude..Anthony Michael Hall..the nerdy type..longing for the cutie girl ..trying all the goofy moves to get her attention..LOL...I love the bus scene...and the dance..CLASSIC...and Molly Ringwald hoping to get the jock..Jake..There was always that Perfect girl..Jakes girlfriend..that us girls would look at and think..Damn!,,I wish I looked like that!...I could really relate...Pretty in Pink was great too, and of course The Breakfast Club...Totally realistic to me..I think 80s males AND females can relate to at least one of those characters ...

Written By: jackas on 01/08/06 at 10:26 pm

I dunno.  I do remember eating Good 'n' Fruities when my sister and I went to see it in the theater.  Eating Good 'n' Fruities and going to the movies with one's sister makes a guy pretty, uh, fruity in any color, I must say!
:-[

LOL  Not fruity at all!

What would have made you a man, a big dip shoved in your lip? ;) ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/09/06 at 12:49 am

LOL  Not fruity at all!

What would have made you a man, a big dip shoved in your lip? ;) ;D

"dip"? I hope Chucky's not using the old censoring system!
:o

I guess the reason I liked the '80s John Hughes movies so much is because I was the perfect age for them when they came out....

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/09/06 at 1:10 am

"dip"? I hope Chucky's not using the old censoring system!
:o

I guess the reason I liked the '80s John Hughes movies so much is because I was the perfect age for them when they came out....
;D  ;D  ;D  No censor, it's a term for chewing tobacco/skoal. Just a pinch between your cheek and gum 20 years later you got mouth cancer. 

I guess I should watch Pretty in Pink in its entirety and not be too opinionated without more info.

Written By: jackas on 01/09/06 at 2:00 pm

I guess I should watch Pretty in Pink in its entirety and not be too opinionated without more info.

Hey, I was with you.  I didn't find it interesting either.  It wasn't funny like the others, it seemed to be more of a love story.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/10/06 at 2:29 am

Hey, I was with you.  I didn't find it interesting either.  It wasn't funny like the others, it seemed to be more of a love story.
Was Andrew McCarthy in it? I liked him in Weekend at Bernies. I'll probably never watch Pretty in Pink. I'd be like, hey you guys wanna come over Friday night and play cards, or we could watch Pretty in Pink if you want. I think they'd beat my ass if I offered that. and rightly so!

Written By: jackas on 01/10/06 at 8:05 am

Was Andrew McCarthy in it? I liked him in Weekend at Bernies. I'll probably never watch Pretty in Pink. I'd be like, hey you guys wanna come over Friday night and play cards, or we could watch Pretty in Pink if you want. I think they'd beat my ass if I offered that. and rightly so!

;D  Yeah, I suggest you don't offer the movie. ;)  Yeah, it had Andrew McCarthy............Weekend at Bernies was great....completely absurd, but I love to watch it. 

Check for new replies or respond here...