inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Most Eighties Song of the '80s

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/04/06 at 1:37 am

I'd say Laura Branigan's "Gloria" is incredibly '80s in every way.  Too bad she's dead  :\'(

Subject: Re: Most Eighties Song of the '80s

Written By: ADH13 on 01/04/06 at 1:40 am

hmm... I'd probably have to say "Don't You Forget About Me" by Simple Minds, although its far from being one of my favorites...

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/04/06 at 1:43 am

I'd say Laura Branigan's "Gloria" is incredibly '80s in every way.  Too bad she's dead  :\'(

Good song. Very synth/dance based pop with just a teeny late 70s-ish influence (I was saddened by her death in '04 too).

Other contenders off the top of my head:

Take on Me - Aha
Rio - Duran Duran
Lucky Star - Madonna
Karma Chameleon - Culture Club
Jump - Van Halen
The Power of Love - Huey Lewis
Don't You Want Me - Human League
We Built this City - Starship

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/04/06 at 1:46 am

Good song. Very synth/dance based pop with just a teeny late 70s-ish influence (I was saddened by her death in '04 too).

Other contenders off the top of my head:

Take on Me - Aha
Rio - Duran Duran
Lucky Star - Madonna
Karma Chameleon - Culture Club
Jump - Van Halen
The Power of Love - Huey Lewis
Don't You Want Me - Human League
We Built this City - Starship

All those are incredibly '80s.  I picked "Gloria" because it really picks out every '80s stereotype; synths, guitar, lyrics about money, stalking, etc.
As for "Take on Me", indeed a very '80s song, and also my favorite song of all time, but i think "The Sun Always Shines on TV" is even more '80s. 

Jump by Van Halen is also very eighties, along with Human League (one of the cheesiest bands ever probably, that Human League  ;D )

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/04/06 at 1:47 am

^ Probably even more "80s" than Human League (if that's even possible!) is "Wake Me Up Before you Go Go" by WHAM.

Written By: ADH13 on 01/04/06 at 1:55 am

I might add real quick that I think the song "Strokin'" by Clarence Carter is the most un-80's sounding 80's song.  It sounds like typical 90's crap to me.  I was shocked to find out it was actually from 1983 or somewhere around there.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/04/06 at 1:58 am

^ Probably even more "80s" than Human League (if that's even possible!) is "Wake Me Up Before you Go Go" by WHAM.

Actually, I'd rather be caught listening to Wham than Human League!  Being caught listening to "Don't You Want Me" is about as embarrassing as being naked in public!  ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/04/06 at 2:01 am

^ People have caught me listening to that, if it helps any, LOL. I've been laughed at more for Toto, Journey, Foreigner and that stuff.

P.S. If it was a choice between being caught at those two things, I'd pick Human League anyday. ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/04/06 at 2:03 am

^ People have caught me listening to that, if it helps any, LOL. I've been laughed at more for Toto, Journey, Foreigner and that stuff.

P.S. If it was a choice between being caught at those two things, I'd pick Human League anyday. ;D

I'd still be more embarassed about Human League.  I can't make an excuse for listening to them.  The only thing more embarassing would be Cyndi Lauper.

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/04/06 at 2:11 am

I'd still be more embarassed about Human League.  I can't make an excuse for listening to them.  The only thing more embarassing would be Cyndi Lauper.

Been there, done that too. ;D

Actually I'd only be embarrased by "She Bop" and "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" - a ballad like "Time After Time" is pretty timeless (no pun intended).

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/04/06 at 2:13 am

Been there, done that too. ;D

Actually I'd only be embarrased by "She Bop" and "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" - a ballad like "Time After Time" is pretty timeless (no pun intended).

Even if I was alone in the woods, it would be hard to get myself to listen to "She Bop" without being embarassed.  ;D  It would be more embarassing to be caught with that song than to be caught bopping!  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...