inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Cheesiest '80s band

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/04/06 at 1:50 am

My vote goes to Men Without Hats.

Subject: Re: Cheesiest '80s band

Written By: Tecoma Cowboy on 01/04/06 at 2:36 am

My vote goes to Men Without Hats.

ill second that.....

Wang Chung would be a close second....then maybe Milli Vanilli

What about devo.  ??? ::)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/04/06 at 2:38 am

ill second that.....

Wang Chung would be a close second....then maybe Milli Vanilli

What about devo.   ??? ::)

Devo are very cheesy but genius.

Written By: Tecoma Cowboy on 01/04/06 at 3:00 am

i haven't heard of animotion or menudo....did nothing here as far as i know...(Australia)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/04/06 at 3:00 am

i haven't heard of animotion or menudo....did nothing here as far as i know here...(Australia)

We're like the only ones here!  Not counting lurkers.

Written By: Tecoma Cowboy on 01/04/06 at 3:04 am

yeah luke is still with us i think...

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/04/06 at 3:04 am

I guess you're in Aussie, so it's like dinnertime there.  Here in the States it's like 1:00.

Luke is like, on another site.  ;D

Written By: Tecoma Cowboy on 01/04/06 at 3:06 am

I guess you're in Aussie, so it's like dinnertime there.  Here in the States it's like 1:00.

Luke is like, on another site.  ;D

yep....it  about 8 pm here , still light....

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 01/04/06 at 6:11 am

Menudo

Written By: robby76 on 01/04/06 at 6:47 am

I had to go for Starship. Good songs, but they looked like old women in their videos.

Written By: Cafe80s on 01/04/06 at 7:20 am

I would agree with Milli Vanilli except for the fact that they weren't a band because in order to call themselves that they need to actually sing & play their music, but they mimed(spelling?) songs sung & written by somone else & none of them played any instruments unless you count bicycle shorts as an instrument LOL. 
I would say the cheesiest band was STRYPER. Christian heavy metal LOL oh pleeeease. Man they were cheesy even back then & no metalhead with any sense of self respect would go near any of their records? ;D

Written By: BCRichrocker on 01/04/06 at 9:45 am

I would agree with Milli Vanilli except for the fact that they weren't a band because in order to call themselves that they need to actually sing & play their music, but they mimed(spelling?) songs sung & written by somone else & none of them played any instruments unless you count bicycle shorts as an instrument LOL. 
I would say the cheesiest band was STRYPER. Christian heavy metal LOL oh pleeeease. Man they were cheesy even back then & no metalhead with any sense of self respect would go near any of their records? ;D

You had me until you mentioned Stryper. Great band and a good bunch of guys. Just because they want to sing about something religious doesn't mean that they are bad musicians. I mean, Slayer, Venom and even King Diamond sung about their reilgious beliefs, they just weren't Christian beliefs, correct?

I have emailed Tim Gaines (ex Bass player for Stryper, now doesn't play rock much anymore) a few times back and forth and he is a great guy. I am considering contracting him play on some demo work I am going to do in the near future. Getting back to Stryper, I don't think Michael Sweet had the best voice for Metal though and while I got used to it, I think it would've been appropriate for other genre's better than Metal.

Every decade has their"cheesy" groups. One that stands out in the 80s is Poison. Now that would be a band that any respectable Metalhead would never admit to liking or listening. Much more than Stryper, IMO. But a lot of women might say otherwise.

Written By: whistledog on 01/04/06 at 9:47 am

other: Devo.  Those guys were very cheesy, red lamp hats and all  ;D

Written By: KKay on 01/04/06 at 9:48 am

Many are cheesy, but there is only one that sums up the superficiality of the time period, Milli Vanilli..

Men without Hats never hurt anyone.  It's Safety Dance that's cheesy IMHO

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/04/06 at 10:00 am

New Kids on the Block, Menudo comes pretty close.  ;D

Written By: woops on 01/04/06 at 3:44 pm

Tiffany... annoying voice and only had one semi decent song, a cover

New Kids On The Block, Starship,  Journey, Menudo, and Milli Vanilli would follow  :P

Check for new replies or respond here...