inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Let's Discuss 1980

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/04/06 at 2:06 am

What was 1980 like?  I always imagine it as feeling like neither the '70s or the '80s.  As necessity, it had '70s music, but little Funk or Disco.  '80s music hadn't popped up yet really, although there were signs of it.

Subject: Re: Let's Discuss 1980

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/04/06 at 2:10 am

New wave was around, but still kinda "underground". Disco had a couple songs on the charts, but was fading pretty fast. If you consider arena rock like Journey, that was probably the most "80s" music around that was popular.

It was also the only 80's year (besides '89 of course) that Reagen wasn't in office, so for that reason alone, it had a different political feel too. The Iran hostage crisis from 1979 carried over into '80.

The movies had the biggest "80s-ness" to them I think. Caddyshack is a good example. Bill Murray, who was in that, also basically had his breakout that year.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/04/06 at 2:15 am

New wave was around, but still kinda "underground". Disco had a couple songs on the charts, but was fading pretty fast. If you consider arena rock like Journey, that was probably the most "80s" music around that was popular.

It was also the only 80's year (besides '89 of course) that Reagen wasn't in office, so for that reason alone, it had a different political feel too.

The movies had the biggest "80s-ness" to them I think. Caddyshack is a good example.

Yeah, 1980 was odd. In some way totally '80s, in some ways not '80s or '70s, and in others very '70s.

1990 was definitely a mix of '80s and '90s, but certainly more '80s.  The only thing about 1990 that is very un-80s is the slang and dance music really.  Even Mariah Carey was actually not totally accepted until the end of 1990.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/04/06 at 2:17 am

When I think of 1980 I think of dimness for some reason.  I don't know why.

Check for new replies or respond here...