inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: all you do to me is talk talk, talk talk, talk talk

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/04/06 at 2:49 am

insert synth line here.

Subject: Re: all you do to me is talk talk, talk talk, talk talk

Written By: Carl on 01/04/06 at 11:06 am

..all you do to me is talk, talk

that's how the next verse goes. That's the best I can do there, sorry.

Written By: nally on 01/04/06 at 1:29 pm

That song is "Talk Talk" by the group Talk Talk. (Yep, they did a self titled song!)

Written By: Carl on 01/04/06 at 3:26 pm

found on their self titled album

Written By: whistledog on 01/04/06 at 3:30 pm

What many people don't know is that song is a soundtrack hit.  It appeared in the 1982 motion picture 'Night Shift' which came out a few months before the single was released

Written By: McDonald on 01/05/06 at 12:19 am

They also did the original (and better) version of "It's My Life" which was remade by No Doubt recently.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/05/06 at 2:40 am

Talk Talk was an underrated band.  They got stuck in the synth pop category, which they were on their first couple of albums.  Subsequent albums--"The Colour Of Spring," "The Spirit of Eden," and "Laughing Stock," are progressive acoustic-oriented pop.  Mark Hollis tried to distance the band from the sound that made them popular.  "The Color of Spring" did have a few of successful singles--"Life's What You Make It," "Happiness is Easy," "Living In Another World"--but "The Spirit of Eden" and "Lauging Stock" are not much fun.  Fans of droney prog-rock adore these records and cite them as Talk Talk's redemption.  The problem for me is the music isn't interesting enough.  Free-form composing is easy to do if you want to be another boring jam band, but very hard to do if you want to create exciting music.  Talk Talk didn't cut it in this regard.  Mark Hollis sulked and whined his way out of a successful pop music career with arrogantly thinking he was some cross between Ornette Coleman and Debussy.
"The Colour of Spring," though probably contains Talk Talk's best songwriting, though I'm still more partial to the glassy synth-pop of the first two albums.

http://www.goanddomichigan.com/images/20050505/10360_512.jpg

BTW, "Nightshift" is a great movie.  The song works well in it too.

Written By: MLB on 01/05/06 at 2:38 pm

I am sorry but I didn't ever know the singer's name but it was very distinct and it worked well for their songs.
  I was sorry they remade It's my life but what you gonna do? Can't hold back the entire popular 80's library never to be sampled again.  just isn't gonna happen.

Check for new replies or respond here...