inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/04/06 at 7:14 pm

There are alot of the movies that I like, but this is one of my favorites. It was also the second film I got on VHS, shortly after getting E.T.  on VHS. 

Subject: Re: Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Written By: whistledog on 01/04/06 at 8:28 pm

"Ferris Bueller you're my hero"

I love that scene where Ferris is on the float lip synching "Twist and Shout" by The Beatles

Trivia:  Because of that scene, "Twist and Shout" re-entered the U.S. top 40 :)

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 01/04/06 at 8:31 pm

I totally love this movie! My favorite scene is definitely the downtown parade, with the entire city singing "Twist & Shout"!  :D

Written By: macmcgu on 01/04/06 at 10:50 pm

"Bueller, Bueller, ..."

"Anyone, Anyone, ..."

"Want a gummy bear, they're warm and soft...  I found in the seat crack."

"You're dealing with a professional here, relax!"

The most distressing scene is the demolition of the Ferrari.

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/05/06 at 1:34 am

The most distressing scene is the demolition of the Ferrari.

Agreed. I know it was done to symbolize Cameron's being p*ssed off at his dad (the car being his pride and top priority) and finally standing up to him in a sense, but still. Even if the guy was a jerk, he still had a great car. I hate to see it destroyed.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/05/06 at 2:11 am

A classic.  If I had to pick the quintessential '80s teen flick, FBDO might be it!  Trivia: At the time actor Alan Ruck was playing Cameron, he was thirty years old.  Didn't look it, did he?  I don't know if having a kid in my HS class who looked exactly like Cameron made the character more convincing!
8)

There's a bit everyone overlooks: the scene with Cameron's car.  Nope, not his dad's Ferrari, but his own hunk of junk.  He's agonizing over whether to go over to Bueller's house.  The whole scene is quite clever.
"He'll keep calling me.  He'll keep calling until I come over there.  OK, I'LL GO, I'LL GO, I'LL GO, it's just...I'LL GO!"  He starts the car and you can hear him let out this frustrated howl over the roaring engine!  I just think that's one of the funnies things on the whole movie, but nobody ever mentions it!
http://www.movieprop.com/tvandmovie/reviews/ferrisfriend1.jpg

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/05/06 at 8:49 am

Agreed. I know it was done to symbolize Cameron's being p*ssed off at his dad (the car being his pride and top priority) and finally standing up to him in a sense, but still. Even if the guy was a jerk, he still had a great car. I hate to see it destroyed.

Actually, it was my favorite part of the movie!

Written By: Carl on 01/05/06 at 3:26 pm

I hate to be a kiljoy here and ruin the mood, but I'm kind of tired of this film.  :-\\ Sorry guys! It definitely is a classic, but I wouldn't say it was a big favorite of mine.

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/05/06 at 6:39 pm

A classic.  If I had to pick the quintessential '80s teen flick, FBDO might be it!  Trivia: At the time actor Alan Ruck was playing Cameron, he was thirty years old.  Didn't look it, did he?  I don't know if having a kid in my HS class who looked exactly like Cameron made the character more convincing!  8)

Yeah, he actually looked a teeny bit younger than Matthew Broderick (who was still only 24 at the time). I don't know if it was natural, but some people just look young for a long time. Today he looks nothing like that at all, as if the aging totally caught up to him, LOL.

There's a bit everyone overlooks: the scene with Cameron's car.  Nope, not his dad's Ferrari, but his own hunk of junk.  He's agonizing over whether to go over to Bueller's house.  The whole scene is quite clever.
"He'll keep calling me.  He'll keep calling until I come over there.  OK, I'LL GO, I'LL GO, I'LL GO, it's just...I'LL GO!"  He starts the car and you can hear him let out this frustrated howl over the roaring engine!  I just think that's one of the funnies things on the whole movie, but nobody ever mentions it!

Nah, that was good too. Actually I think the first half of the movie is slightly funnier and more entertaining. BTW, he must have eventually gotten it started if he made it to Ferris' house (where they both went back to his house, and got the Ferrari out).

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/10/06 at 5:15 pm

Just got the special editon today on DVD.  :)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/10/06 at 5:46 pm

...is one of my favorite movies.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/10/06 at 7:01 pm

I agree.  It's a good film.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/10/06 at 8:46 pm

This is a great movie! I love Cameron!

Written By: GREEN67 on 01/10/06 at 10:41 pm

8) I loved the movie too..its one of my fave teen movies!!...Matthew Broderick was exceptional..his facial expressions areclassic!!...cameron was so funny ...the car scene was hysterical...you felt his angst...ferris woulda called and called..he did just know he had to go...I really liked Jennifer grey as his sister...It was great in jail where she meets Charlie Sheen, and then and home when she takes up for Ferris, Brodericks expression of gratitude was so genuine!...

Written By: Chipette on 01/11/06 at 10:55 am

I love it. The parade scene is the best. I always thought that Cameron and Sloane would've made a better couple than Sloane and Ferris, am I alone there? Everything about the movie is great, and it's so quotable.

"Pardon my French, but you're an a******!"

"Call me Sir, God damn it!"

Hehehe. :p

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/11/06 at 11:03 am

I've always enjoyed this film 
"Oh, he's very popular Ed. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, buttheads - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude. "

Written By: MLB on 01/11/06 at 1:56 pm

Improved color and rereleased on DVD...saw an ad for it just last night!

Written By: Doc Brown on 01/11/06 at 6:25 pm

I do think there were moments when Cameron was funnier than Ferris, especially...

"A family member dies and you insult me. WHAT THE H--- IS THE MATTER WITH YOU?"

Hey, did anyone hear Matthew Broderick got his star on the Walk Of Fame? I wonder if at the ceremony the band played "Twist & Shout", or even "Ohhhhhhhhhhh, Yeahhhhhhhhhhh". It would've been cool!

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: GREEN67 on 01/11/06 at 9:53 pm

I do think there were moments when Cameron was funnier than Ferris, especially...

"A family member dies and you insult me. WHAT THE H--- IS THE MATTER WITH YOU?"

Hey, did anyone hear Matthew Broderick got his star on the Walk Of Fame? I wonder if at the ceremony the band played "Twist & Shout", or even "Ohhhhhhhhhhh, Yeahhhhhhhhhhh". It would've been cool!

Your Pal,
Doc

8)
  8) I read about it...matthew joked about people keeping thier dogs off the stars...Hmm.. thier dogs GOING on the stars...he will always be funny to me,...He still looks 20-something..that freaks me out about some stars Never aging...we all know the chicks cheat by having plastic surgery but the dudes, some of them , just dont age,Matthew Broderick, Ralph Macchio,... Charlie Sheen...( maybe they had WORK done but you just dont hear about it like you do the girls!

Written By: KKay on 01/11/06 at 10:02 pm

I want to be able to do the "bloink" sound that alan ruck can make with his cheeks.
I know people that can and I'm jealous.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/12/06 at 3:22 am

Improved color and rereleased on DVD...saw an ad for it just last night!
Sweet, I may put that on my birthday wish list.

Written By: alyceclover on 01/12/06 at 5:43 am

...we were just talking about this the other day....one fav movie that I enjoy as much today as I did back then...the whole movie was funny...the expression on his sister's face and her reaction when the principal snuck in the house, is priceless.

Believe that was the first movie, to use that trick at the end...I'm one of those theatre goers who doesn't leave until the last credit rolls and 1/2 the people were gone when Ferris reappeared shooing us away.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/12/06 at 9:41 am

My favorite line in the movie....

Cameron: The 1961 Ferrari 250GT California. Less than a hundred were made. My father spent three years restoring this car. It is his love, it is his passion.
Ferris: It is his fault he didn't lock the garage.

;D

Written By: Bobby72 on 04/16/08 at 11:18 am

I hate to be a kiljoy here and ruin the mood, but I'm kind of tired of this film.  :-\\ Sorry guys! It definitely is a classic, but I wouldn't say it was a big favorite of mine.
Who cares what you think about the film!  ::)

Written By: Atari on 04/16/08 at 4:54 pm

Yeah it's definitely a great movie, but like many other more popular 80s staples like Breakfast Club, ST. Elmo's Fire, and others, I'm kind of tired of it too.

I am, however, on a quest to see every obscure, really bad 80s comedy  ;D

Written By: coqueta83 on 04/16/08 at 7:21 pm

I really, really love this movie. There were plenty of great and funny lines throughout!  :)

Some of the scenes made me nervous, especially when Ferris, Cameron, and Sloane have a few close calls with encountering Ferris's dad.  ;D

Written By: robby76 on 04/16/08 at 9:21 pm

Thankfully I've not seen this movie for a good 15 years - it seems to never be on tv or cable! So in my mind it's still a rare gem.

Loved Ferris, loved the headmaster and loved Jennifer Grey most of all!  :)

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/16/08 at 9:37 pm

Oh my God!!! I love that movie.  I like that part when that teacher repeated call his name "Bueller......Bueller.....Bueller"  LMAO!!!  I like that.  I think that Matthew Broderick is so fine.  His friend, Cameron, is funny as well.  I haven't seen that movie since the 80s and very early 90s!

Written By: ralfy on 02/22/16 at 6:16 pm

"Ferris Fest to mark 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off' anniversary"

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/02/21/travel/ferris-bueller-anniversary-fest-chicago-feat/

Written By: Katluver on 03/02/16 at 3:39 pm

My favorite John Hughes film!

One of my favorite scenes is Cameron's hissy fit before he drives over to see Ferris.  "He'll keep calling me..."
A small scene but has me laughing is when the principal runs down the hall, yet slows down whenever he approaches a classroom door.

Written By: ralfy on 04/14/16 at 11:59 am

"Watch Ferris Bueller's Parents Return to Celebrate 30th Anniversary"

http://movieweb.com/ferris-bueller-day-off-30th-anniversary-parents/

Written By: Howard on 04/14/16 at 2:26 pm

"Watch Ferris Bueller's Parents Return to Celebrate 30th Anniversary"

http://movieweb.com/ferris-bueller-day-off-30th-anniversary-parents/

Happy Birthday Ferris Bueller  :)

Written By: Doc Brown on 04/14/16 at 4:31 pm

"It's childish and stupid, but then, so is high school!"

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: Howard on 04/15/16 at 7:11 am

"It's childish and stupid, but then, so is high school!"

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Was that a line from the film?

Written By: Howard on 04/15/16 at 7:14 am

I was just thinking maybe they can do a sequel entitled Ferris Bueller's Vacation, like instead of a day off, he can take a whole week off.

Written By: Doc Brown on 04/15/16 at 9:23 am

Was that a line from the film?

Naturally! Ferris uses this line to end his dissertation on using clammy hands to fake sickness as opposed to the doctor-risking phony fever. Danke Shoen!

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Check for new replies or respond here...