inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite Scary Movies

Written By: Miss Nostalgia on 01/05/06 at 9:10 am

Mine are,

House

Pet Sematary

Child's Play

Subject: Re: Favorite Scary Movies

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/05/06 at 9:37 am

Poltergeist is a good film.

Written By: Carl on 01/05/06 at 11:00 am

Poltergeist
Hell Night

Written By: zotsfreak on 01/05/06 at 1:20 pm

Mine are,

House

Pet Sematary

Child's Play

You said "Scary Movies" (plural).  If you compare all of them to the one I'm about to mention, there really is only one scary movie: The Exorcist!!

Written By: lorac614 on 01/05/06 at 1:32 pm

You said "Scary Movies" (plural).  If you compare all of them to the one I'm about to mention, there really is only one scary movie: The Exorcist!!

I love horror movies and have seen a ton, and I know I've watched The Exorcist about 50 times (just about every time I know it's on TV) and that movie still disturbs me. 

As far a gore, I like the first Friday the 13th and Halloween.  I also like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Also, Don't Be Afraid of the Dark was a great made for T.V. movie.

You would think this was asked in the 1970's section, since most of mine were from the 70's, oh well.  LOL!!

Written By: zotsfreak on 01/05/06 at 1:40 pm

I've watched The Exorcist about 50 times (just about every time I know it's on TV) and that movie still disturbs me. 

That

Written By: Miss Nostalgia on 01/05/06 at 5:14 pm

I have watched The Exorcist lots of times too. I like it alot. Has anyone see the movie "House" before? I love it, I remembered seeing it a year after it came out

Written By: Carl on 01/06/06 at 7:55 am

The Exorcist scared the hell out of me when I was younger! :o

Written By: zotsfreak on 01/06/06 at 8:29 am

No pun intended, right??!! ;D

Written By: KKay on 01/06/06 at 8:56 am

Exorcist,
the brood,
the omen,
salem's lot (the old one)
dressed to kill
audrey rose
burnt offerings..

things were just more scary in the 70s.

Written By: snozberries on 01/07/06 at 11:29 am

Madman (as in Madman Mars)  That movie scared the crap out of me when I was a high school freshman

Written By: livinonthe80s on 01/08/06 at 2:00 am

Do you guys and gals remember a movie titled, "IT" ?  I think it was from the 80s...it was about a baby being born a "killing machine" which killed all the hopital staff in the delivery room.  It never killed its family but was always on the run in the sewers.  After they finally killed it with the help of its family, they got a call about another similiar incident somewhere else.  I tried to find it on DVD but can't find it.

Anyone recalls this movie?

Written By: snozberries on 01/08/06 at 3:06 pm

Do you guys and gals remember a movie titled, "IT" ?  I think it was from the 80s...it was about a baby being born a "killing machine" which killed all the hopital staff in the delivery room.  It never killed its family but was always on the run in the sewers.  After they finally killed it with the help of its family, they got a call about another similiar incident somewhere else.  I tried to find it on DVD but can't find it.

I think you are thinking of It's Alive. There were two sequels but the original film is from the 70's (probably 78) and it is available on DVD. I've seen it on Ebay.

Written By: loki 13 on 01/08/06 at 3:16 pm

Could this be IT by Stephen King.Pennywise the clown
terrorizes a group of friends.

Written By: snozberries on 01/08/06 at 3:40 pm

Could this be IT by Stephen King.Pennywise the clown
terrorizes a group of friends.

The killer baby movie is definately ITS ALIVE.  Steven King's IT was a pretty good book until they got to the part about the giant Turtle....the movie sucked

Written By: loki 13 on 01/08/06 at 6:34 pm

The killer baby movie is definately ITS ALIVE.  Steven King's IT was a pretty good book until they got to the part about the giant Turtle....the movie sucked

Right,I stand corrected.What through me off was the
sewer because Pennywise the clown hung out in the
sewers."IT",pardon the pun, was a horrible movie not
a horror movie.

Written By: Abix on 01/08/06 at 6:41 pm

My Favorite Scary Movies are:

Henry: Portrait of A Serial Killer  (very scary in it's low budget realism.. Michael Rooker  plays a character loosely based on Henry Lee Lucas, infamous serial killer)

The Exorcist- Who wasn't scared by this movie?

Trilogy of Terror- Karen Black in all her crosseyed creepiness... and that little evil doll, gave me nightmares even when I was  14 yrs old.

Devil's Advocate- That wall behind Al Pacino  in his office, creeped me out.

Rosemary's Baby- Ruth Gordon.. classic.

Last House on The Left- Drugged up freaks kidnapping and raping .. far more scary than Freddie or Jason.

the  original  Halloween-  they  over did Michael Myers with all the sequels, but he was definitely scary in the first one.  Plus that music !! right up there with Tubular  Bells in horror themed  music.

Written By: GREEN67 on 01/08/06 at 8:59 pm

8) I am in agreement with EV on The Exorcist...scared the crap outta me..I got the anniversary DVD and the commentarys are really interesting...All the unexplained deaths during the filming of the movie..that was FREAKY>>>and I do remember the Trilogy Of Terror..that doll freaked me out too!!...BUT...one of my all time Faves...is, from 1972, a little cheesy by todays standards, no great special effects, ........GARGOYLES...starring Cornel Wilde, Jennifer Salt..and a Very young Scott Glenn,  ( he NEVER ages! he still looks exactly the same but with grey hair!!) I bought it from Amazon and my daughter loves it too. 

Written By: Miss Nostalgia on 01/08/06 at 9:17 pm

Henry: Portrait of A Serial Killer  (very scary in it's low budget realism.. Michael Rooker  plays a character loosely based on Henry Lee Lucas, infamous serial killer)

Trilogy of Terror- Karen Black in all her crosseyed creepiness... and that little evil doll, gave me nightmares even when I was  14 yrs old.

Last House on The Left- Drugged up freaks kidnapping and raping .. far more scary than Freddie or Jason.

the  original  Halloween-  they  over did Michael Myers with all the sequels, but he was definitely scary in the first one.  Plus that music !! right up there with Tubular  Bells in horror themed  music.

The Exorcist doesn't scare ME

Written By: kellygoo72 on 01/09/06 at 12:13 am

Henry: Portrait of A Serial Killer   (very scary in it's low budget realism.. Michael Rooker  plays a character loosely based on Henry Lee Lucas, infamous serial killer)

OM Goodness.. i loved Last house on the left.. The end of that movie is so disturbing... LOL  I loved it.. I think Evil Dead 1 was a classic along with Texas Chainsaw < the orig>, Its Alive, <man that freaked me out as a kid> and recently, I liked the Grudge and Saw1 but I would have to say the scarriest movie I ever saw as a kid was The Exorcist.. still creepy!  I love scary movies!!!  I also like May, if u have never seen it, rent it.. its so different!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/09/06 at 1:00 am

Every time this question comes up, I have to say "The Shining."
"Alien" was a good scary movie, so was "Ghost Story," the last Fred Astair film.  I thought "The Serpent and The Rainbow" was creepy.  Most Steven King movies don't scare me at all.  "The Shining" was based on a Steven King book, but it was a Stanley Kubrick movie.  One Steven King movie that really got under my skin was "Graveyard Shift."  The rats, the rats, all the rats everywhere, and then at the end the shrieking giant rat monster getting ground up in the shrieking sawmill was a total gross-out creep-out sensory overload!
"Blue Velvet" wasn't a horror movie per se, but it's one of my favorites for the scary villain Frank Booth as played by Dennis Hopper.  He's just a horrible, psycho, sadistic, confused, infantile, raging dope-addict.  Totally freaky!

Written By: Bury_Manilow on 01/09/06 at 1:14 am

Henry: Portrait of A Serial Killer   (very scary in it's low budget realism.. Michael Rooker  plays a character loosely based on Henry Lee Lucas, infamous serial killer)

Good call on Henry.  I  bought the 2-disc special edition that just came out.  My other favorites are Angel Heart, Manhunter, and Phantasm.

Written By: GREEN67 on 01/09/06 at 1:26 am

Every time this question comes up, I have to say "The Shining."
"Alien" was a good scary movie, so was "Ghost Story," the last Fred Astair film.  I thought "The Serpent and The Rainbow" was creepy.  Most Steven King movies don't scare me at all.  "The Shining" was based on a Steven King book, but it was a Stanley Kubrick movie.  One Steven King movie that really got under my skin was "Graveyard Shift."  The rats, the rats, all the rats everywhere, and then at the end the shrieking giant rat monster getting ground up in the shrieking sawmill was a total gross-out creep-out sensory overload!
"Blue Velvet" wasn't a horror movie per se, but it's one of my favorites for the scary villain Frank Booth as played by Dennis Hopper.  He's just a horrible, psycho, sadistic, confused, infantile, raging dope-addict.  Totally freaky!
8) MAXWELL..I know what you mean...all the Stephen King movies are not scary at all, I am a HUGE KING fan, I read all the time and I have all of his books in hardcover,( along with Anne Rice , Clive Barker, Etc...Etc..) and the movies just dont live up to the books...I live for detail and I hate it when the movie totally F**ks up the story!!! The Shining was OK...and even the newer version was decent just because they put in the part about the Bushes that were shaped like the animals...ev shot they were Closer..andCloser...BUT...its not the same...I agree with you on "The Serpent and the Rainbow"..did you know that was based on a true story??...Great flick...there are certain drugs and poisons that can render your pulse so slow that you resemble..dead...did anyone see the movie with Tim Mathison where he got the poison from a ...Blowfish..I think..that made him seem dead and he comes back and gets his wife and lover..Revenge is sweet..

Written By: KKay on 01/09/06 at 8:40 am

Did you ever see the old ones like "bad Arnold" or 'the scarecrow"..
I like 'dont' be afraid of the dark" and all the ARgento films.

Written By: Abix on 01/13/06 at 3:56 pm

Good call on Henry.  I  bought the 2-disc special edition that just came out.  My other favorites are Angel Heart, Manhunter, and Phantasm.

ohh yes.. how could i forget manhunter.. when he jumps through the window at the end with Iron Butterfly's "Ina Gadda da Vida" playing.. scared the crap out of me.. and the little rat like guy who played Hannibal Lecter was just as  creepy as Anthony Hopkins.
Let Me Add "Silence Of The Lambs" to my favorite scary movies too
and "Carrie"  Not so much that Carrie scared me, just that little Jesus/voodoo doll she had. Gave me nightmares.

Written By: Abix on 01/13/06 at 3:58 pm

Did you ever see the old ones like "bad Arnold" or 'the scarecrow"..
I like 'dont' be afraid of the dark" and all the ARgento films.

Actually I think the movies were  "Bad Ronald" and "Arnold"
Bad Ronald was  creepy. Arnold.. I remember seeing that when I was 6 yrs old at the drive in movie with my mom and dad. I fell asleep . I saw it later on vhs, and didn't think much of it.
I just asked my husband what his favorite scary movie was.. he  said
Burnt Offerings

Written By: barefootrobin on 01/13/06 at 4:15 pm

What was the movie that had the little men with pointy heads who were afraid of the light, the main character inherited the house and opened up the fireplace, that's where the men came from.  In the end they were dragging her across the floor, she knocked into a table and a camera fell - she used it (the flash) to stave them off but in cain.  Was it called Scream Sally Scream?

Check for new replies or respond here...