inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Pirate Movie

Written By: star500 on 01/06/06 at 9:00 pm

Does anyone remember this movie? It was made sometime in the '80's. It has Kristy McNichol and Christopher Atkins on it and was a really good movie, kind of like a musical adventure movie. There was lots of good songs on the movie. My mom taped it off the TV sometime in the '80's but I dont know what kind of shape it is in because I haven't watched it in years ::) I am trying to get it on DVD but it is hard to find. Maybe eventually, I will find it for a price that is reasonable.

Subject: Re: The Pirate Movie

Written By: whistledog on 01/06/06 at 10:09 pm

I actually have the Soundtrack to this movie siting right in front of me.  I have never seen the film though.

The song that Christopher Atkins sings in the film called 'How Can I Live Without Her' was an actual chart hit :)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/06/06 at 10:20 pm

I have seen it.... Didn't care much for the film.  ;D

Written By: Webstor on 01/07/06 at 6:20 am

Yes,
Just saw this movie recently on Cinemax or Fox Movie channel...can't remember..
It was pretty awful
Just a "re-make" of Pirates of Penzance....

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/07/06 at 8:40 am

Which it pretty much is.... with rock music!  ;D

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 01/07/06 at 9:04 am

Just a "re-make" of Pirates of Penzance....

Actually it was a satirical pisstake - not a remake. It contains a lot of cultural references to the era.

It was filmed in Australia in 1982. Its quite a cult hit.

I joined a group of people on the 20th anniversary and we travelled to the various filming locations (Loch Ard Gorge and Werribee Mansion and the ship of course - which still sits in the docks in Melbourne).

We had a ball, really mucked around and re-enacted all the scenes and songs in the actual places.

Does anyone remember this movie? It was made sometime in the '80's. It has Kristy McNichol and Christopher Atkins on it and was a really good movie, kind of like a musical adventure movie. There was lots of good songs on the movie. My mom taped it off the TV sometime in the '80's but I dont know what kind of shape it is in because I haven't watched it in years ::) I am trying to get it on DVD but it is hard to find. Maybe eventually, I will find it for a price that is reasonable.

Its available on DVD in Australia - you can purchase it if your dvd player is a multi region player. http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/222860 this online company sells to overseas and I have been buying from them for 5 years so they a well recommended company.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/07/06 at 1:55 pm

Yeah, I remember it. And it was an "up-dated" version of the Priates of Penzance. I haven't seen it for years but what I remember it was cute. But the Priates of Penzance was so much better.

Cat

Written By: Bratpac on 01/09/06 at 2:29 am

I remember that movie,  I forget the title.  Kevin Kline was the pirate captain I do remember that.  I thinking it was called "A pirate movie" but not sure.  I loved it as a kid.  Corny but liked it.

Written By: GREEN67 on 01/09/06 at 2:45 am

:o I hate to be upsetting to those who liked this movie...but....I absolutely HATED it!...It was so bad to me that I felt embarrassed for the people who were in it

Written By: Allie Fox on 01/12/06 at 12:21 pm

I used to watch it when it first was shown on cable 20+ years ago.

I caught it about a month ago on Fox Movie Channel and wondered what I thought was so fascinating.

It's pretty good for the pre-teen to teen group.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/12/06 at 1:33 pm

I remember that movie,  I forget the title.  Kevin Kline was the pirate captain I do remember that.  I thinking it was called "A pirate movie" but not sure.  I loved it as a kid.  Corny but liked it.

That was the Pirates of Penzance-with Linda Ronstadt and Rex Smith.  In the Pirate Movie, Ted Hamilton played the Pirate King.

It is easy to confuse the two because it was the same story and the same music for the most part and they came out within two years of each other (P. of Penz. came out in 1980 and the P. Movie came out in 1982.)

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 01/12/06 at 7:46 pm

I found a picture of the single from the Soundtrack  ;D

http://www.mitscher.de/records/a/170.jpg

It's actually quite a catchy tune

Written By: BrianMannixGirl Guest on 01/14/06 at 9:28 am

Sorry I am having trouble logging in.

Wanted to share with Pirate Movie fans who may not be aware who some of the cast were - being that they were all Aussies other than the two "special guests" being Chris and Kirsty.

Ted Hamilton - who played the Pirate King (and was also the Producer) - was best known in Aus as a seriously tough nasty cop in the 60s and 70s in Homicide.  It horrified my dad to see his cop hero - in his words "prancing around like a fag" !! But for me - it was the first time I had seen Ted in anything so I only ever knew him as the hilariously cheeky pirate king. Since then I spotted him playing an englishman in an old MASH episode so he must have popped over to the US at some stage. These days he is mostly involved in a childrens fantasy TV production. He is getting on - I think dad said he is in his early 80s.

Bill Kerr - who played the Major General - I had seen in many serious movies (one that was a big international hit was Gallipoli with Mel Gibson in 1981) and also in many plays. So for me - seeing him in such a lighthearted role was a big change.

The shock for most people was Maggie Kirkpatrick - she played Ruth - the Pirate Kings "friend". For much of the 70s and early 80s she was the scariest creature on TV - playing a cropped haired nasty lesbian prison warden called The Freak in Prisoner. So to see her all gussied up in a dress - with long hair, and dancing and singing and being funny - it was so out of character !! These days she is a theatre veteran and gets all the great mature aged female character roles.

Garry McDonald - he played both the Inspector Clouseo inspired detective and also the police sergeant. He is one of our most popular comedic actors and writers and has had so many tv shows and theatre roles that I couldnt name them all. 

Chuck McKinney played Samuel - the down with it jamaican guy.  He was an american who moved to Aus in the late 70s to be in some stage productions. Really great guy - I met him when he was playing the singing voice of Audrey the plant in Little Shop of Horrors back in 1984.

The reason Chris and Kirsty were in it was because in the late 70s and early 80s - in order for an aussie film to be sold overseas - it had to have a "money name star" - and apparently none of our fantastically talented actors were able to carry a film of their own. So every production had a US or UK name. Hence some of the films we consider Australian classics - star people like Richard Chamberlain, Kirk Douglas, etc.

Fortunately by the late 80s our actors had become big enough names in their own rights and can sell their own films anywhere they please !!

Written By: TigerSan Archives on 01/14/06 at 9:39 am

1 - If you don't have a multi-region dvd player, they sell them over at www.jlist.com

2 - I have both the movie(on vhs, sadly) and the soundtrack - HEY, it's from the 80's, how could I NOT add it to the collection?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/14/06 at 12:44 pm

1 - If you don't have a multi-region dvd player, they sell them over at www.jlist.com

I don't think you have to buy one. You can program your DVD player to play multi-region DVDs.

This is a forum that I found that told me how to program ours.

http://www.nerd-out.com/forum/  Hopefully, your DVD is mentioned somewhere.

We learned that we could do this the hard way-AFTER we paid more for a "multi-region" DVD player.  ::)

Cat

Written By: star500 on 01/14/06 at 3:49 pm

I found the movie on DVD. :) I went to my local HMV store yesterday and I was just looking around and on a whim I thought I'd try to see if it was there. I found it and it said on it $26.99 (CND) and I thought wow that's a bit much, but it is such a rare movie I'll buy it anyways. So I went to buy it and found out it was only $19.99 and with tax almost 23 dollars! I think they put the wrong price tag on the movie. So needless to say, I was happy! ;D

Written By: BrianMannixGirl Guest on 01/15/06 at 12:46 am

I found the movie on DVD. :) I went to my local HMV store yesterday and I was just looking around and on a whim I thought I'd try to see if it was there. I found it and it said on it $26.99 (CND) and I thought wow that's a bit much, but it is such a rare movie I'll buy it anyways. So I went to buy it and found out it was only $19.99 and with tax almost 23 dollars! I think they put the wrong price tag on the movie. So needless to say, I was happy! ;D

Glad you found a copy and hope you enjoy rewatching it after all these years. It will always be one of my all time fave comedies from the 80s. It doesnt take itself seriously and it doesnt expect us to !!

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/26/11 at 10:05 pm

And now, the filthiest lyrics ever to make it into a PG-rated movie:

fdlKXRReqNA

"Mom? Dad? This isn't funny. Why are all the adults in the theater snickering?"
"Shaddap, kid, here's a roll of quarters, go to the arcade and don't come back home until dinner!"

Check for new replies or respond here...