inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What help define the 80s?

Written By: livinonthe80s on 01/08/06 at 1:54 am

K lets not try to hog it up with one posting!!! ::)  One answer per posting and no post whoring!!! ;D

For me the one thing that stands out the most is the compact disc...because I had such a huge collection of cassette tapes and when this new CD thing was introduced, I went down and traded them in for my new CD collection.  I still rememeer that they bought my tapes for .50 cents to a Dollar.  I was mad!!! >:(

;D

Subject: Re: What help define the 80s?

Written By: ADH13 on 01/08/06 at 1:59 am

I think the whole overall attitude of people... I can't speak for the whole world, obviously, but when I think of the 80's, I think of how kids could play outside by themselves without having to worry about drug dealers and gangs on the street corners... mothers were usually home when we got home from school, kids respected authority - we wouldn't have dared talk back to our parents or cuss in front of them... nobody brought handguns to school... and we didn't need violent video games to keep us entertained... we were perfectly happy with our roller skates, matchbox cars and Speak N Spell. :D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/08/06 at 8:58 pm

I think the whole overall attitude of people... I can't speak for the whole world, obviously, but when I think of the 80's, I think of how kids could play outside by themselves without having to worry about drug dealers and gangs on the street corners... mothers were usually home when we got home from school, kids respected authority - we wouldn't have dared talk back to our parents or cuss in front of them... nobody brought handguns to school... and we didn't need violent video games to keep us entertained... we were perfectly happy with our roller skates, matchbox cars and Speak N Spell. :D

I partially agree. During the '80s, authority tended to be more respected (for better or worse), partly because of the lack of the PC garbage that was just beginning to pop up then.  You're totally right there  :)

But, kids in the '80s were MEAN.  Sure they may have not shot each-other, but they did have knives.  The eighties were a terrible time to be a nerd; it is rare today for a nerd to get shoved into a locker.  Plus, while people are definitely too sensitive today, in the '80s I don't think they were sensitive enough about what people said.  There's a difference between saying you're against reparations for slavery and saying, "Go back to Vietnam, Chink."

Written By: Bratpac on 01/09/06 at 2:46 am

The 80's were more innocent for kids than they are today, but that's like all ages before.  The 80's were about excess and fun.  Kids expressed themselves with the way they wore thier cloths and the music they listened to.  There were different kinds from new wave, to pop, to metal, to headbanger, you get picture.  It seems to me that the music today rather it be pop or country sounds cookie-cutter.  It all sounds the same.  Now I have noticed the pop is sounding more 80's and I can tolerate that.  I personally don't like hip-hop or modern rap.  That's just my taste.  I'll say this abour the yuppies durring that time, they demanded more from the service industry like restaurants, and businesses and now we do have better service today because of their demands for those things.  Up until then, you didn't have such things as fast food and such.  So that I think is part of the kick back of the 80's.  The reason I said that is because of the feeling that things had to be big, over-the-top with material posessions.  The 20 somethings at that time wanted more and expected more.  Because of that attitude, it caused some changes that we feel today just as I mentioned before.  Thanks for humoring me. :D

Check for new replies or respond here...