inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is it just me or did 80s TV suck?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/08/06 at 8:54 pm

I love the 80s with all my heart, but didn't TV suck during the 80s?

The early 80s was just 70s holdovers for TV.  The 80s also had the worst cartoons (even Power Rangers are better than Care Bears); boring soap operas, and most of the sitcoms sucked with some exceptions.  The only up is that 80s TV was pratically void of violence and that the late 80s were a little better.
Also, MTV if you want to count that and the proliferation of cable.

Subject: Re: Is it just me or did 80s TV suck?

Written By: whistledog on 01/08/06 at 8:57 pm

It's just you  ;D

The 80s also had the worst cartoons

Cartoons in the 80's were the best!  So much better than the ones today

Written By: Dagwood on 01/08/06 at 8:58 pm

Yup, just you.  The 80's were great. 

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/08/06 at 9:00 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: 80sforever on 01/08/06 at 9:05 pm

I loved the 80's TV Shows they were MUCH better that the stuff that came out in the 70's.

Written By: woops on 01/08/06 at 9:12 pm

I love the 80s with all my heart, but didn't TV suck during the 80s?

The early 80s was just 70s holdovers for TV.  The 80s also had the worst cartoons (even Power Rangers are better than Care Bears); boring soap operas, and most of the sitcoms sucked with some exceptions.  The only up is that 80s TV was pratically void of violence and that the late 80s were a little better.
Also, MTV if you want to count that and the proliferation of cable.

Ditto

The only thing good was MTV, Fox,  and a few shows...

The best cartoons came from the early/mid 20th century (1930's, 1940's, 1950's) from Looney Tunes, Disney, MGM, and other studios, IMHO.  8)  :D

The '90's was a great era for tv and animation.  8)

2000's is horrible, though  the cheesy teen sitcom "Suite Life of Zack and Cody"  is 99% more toleratable than "Facts of Life"  ::)

Written By: GREEN67 on 01/08/06 at 9:22 pm

8)  Since I was a teenager in the 80s I didnt watch much TV...I loved the 70s shows..about the only thing I watched in the 80s was MTV..when it first came on...

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/09/06 at 12:23 am

I loved a lot of the shows in the 80's. I guess I just watched a lot of what my parents watched, but I found it much more exciting than what's on nowadays. The 90's also had some great shows, no doubt. The 2000's have some good series, you just have to flip through a lot of crap to get to them.

The 80's cartoons cannot compare at all to todays. Today's toons aren't really toons at all. They are like from another planet altogether. I'm glad that at least through the mid-90's they still aired stuff like Bugs Bunny's Looney Tune Hour at 11am like they had been for years, now that's obsolete.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/09/06 at 12:45 am

I liked TV a lot more in the '80s....
but then again, in the '80s, I sucked!
:-[

Written By: whistledog on 01/09/06 at 12:46 am

The 80's cartoons cannot compare at all to todays. Today's toons aren't really toons at all. They are like from another planet altogether. I'm glad that at least through the mid-90's they still aired stuff like Bugs Bunny's Looney Tune Hour at 11am like they had been for years, now that's obsolete.

ABC 11am on Saturdays.  I remember that.  Even in the 80's and 90's, Bugs Bunny was great to watch. I loved that new intro they had where all the gang would march onto the stage  8)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/09/06 at 12:50 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: Bury_Manilow on 01/09/06 at 1:08 am

I went away to college in 1984 and pretty much quit watching TV except for the news and Unsolved Mysteries.  Even 20 years later, all I watch is the news, History channel, Discovery channel, and the Learning channel.  Many people think it's strange that I have never seen a single epidode of  Cheers, 90210, Seinfeld, Friends, Desperate Housewives or any of those so called "reality" shows like Survivor. I remember how people used to get so into those shows, but to each their own.  I have seen a few minutes of Law and Order and CSI, and they look sort of interesting because I am into reading crime and mystery books, so I may start recording those.

Written By: GREEN67 on 01/09/06 at 1:11 am

I liked TV a lot more in the '80s....
but then again, in the '80s, I sucked!
:-[
:D  LOLLLLLL

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/09/06 at 1:21 am

I have a deep fondness for the 80's as welll as the (pre-1997) 90's, but I was just thinking -- the 80's had better music, but the 90's had the best TV and movies.

Possibly this is just 'cause most of the TV I watched on my own was around 1990-93, whereas I'd began listening to music around 1985.

Most of the sitcoms and other shows in the 80's I like are more "gearing up for the 90s"-styled late 80's stuff. Of course Full House is a big fave, like I've mentioned before. Roseanne was funny too. From the earlier part of the decade, I guess Family Ties (what I've seen of it at least -- I'm a big Michael J Fox fan) is the best from pre-1987.

Now, if we're counting MTV, I'll definitely say the early years were the best. 1981-85 just seemed like such an exciting time - wish I could get in the DeLorean and videotape stuff off the air for hours!!

Written By: Bratpac on 01/09/06 at 2:22 am

I agree that the 80's sitcoms were more corny than the 70's perhaps but I believe the magority of the movies were better.  My dad was a movie buff and he took me to see some great cinema treats like Raiders, BTF, Goonies, Breakfast Club,(late 70's) National Lampoon's Vaction, Star Wars, Superman to mention some.  The flicks were great!  Sure there were some duds but the point of the 80's was purley fun with movies, shows, and music.  My daughter commented that the music didn't make any sense.  I told her that most of the music didn't really make sense because it was for fun and most didn't have great political meanings.  The 80's were about excess and being flamboyant.  That's what made the 80's great from the view of a young person, SO FOR ME THEY DIDN'T SUCK, THEY ROCKED!!!!!!  If they sucked for you, perhaps you put too much into it?  :D LOL ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/09/06 at 2:31 am

I agree that the 80's sitcoms were more corny than the 70's perhaps but I believe the magority of the movies were better.  My dad was a movie buff and he took me to see some great cinema treats like Raiders, BTF, Goonies, Breakfast Club,(late 70's) National Lampoon's Vaction, Star Wars, Superman to mention some.  The flicks were great!  Sure there were some duds but the point of the 80's was purley fun with movies, shows, and music.  My daughter commented that the music didn't make any sense.  I told her that most of the music didn't really make sense because it was for fun and most didn't have great political meanings.  The 80's were about excess and being flamboyant.  That's what made the 80's great from the view of a young person, SO FOR ME THEY DIDN'T SUCK, THEY ROCKED!!!!!!   If they sucked for you, perhaps you put too much into it?  :D LOL ;D

I don't hate the '80s, I love them!  I just think '80s TV sucks.  I mean, when The Cosby Show is the most loved of the decade you know it sucks  ;D

Written By: bbigd04 on 01/09/06 at 2:39 am

I don't hate the '80s, I love them!  I just think '80s TV sucks.  I mean, when The Cosby Show is the most loved of the decade you know it sucks  ;D

I like a number of '80s shows most of them did start in the late '70s though- Three's Company (even though it started in the '70s) is real funny, Facts of Life, Diffrent Strokes is ok, Cheers is pretty good and continued into the '90s.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/14/06 at 5:31 pm

Hey, you ever watch Miami Vice? Miami Vice was way cool....and as for cartoons Transformers ruled!

and the 1985 World Series with the St. Louis Cardinals vs. the Kansas City Royals was 80's sports TV, well done!

And oh yeah I was a WWF fan...the first Wrestlemania pay-per-view, I saw it, even owned it on VHS.

Written By: woops on 01/14/06 at 5:59 pm

Looney Tunes and Disney cartoons were still on tv... the only downside is that the majority were edited , especially on Saturday morning (Bugs Bunny & Tweety Show for example)  :P

Written By: Banks on 01/14/06 at 6:16 pm

Although I favour 70's TV over 80s TV, I still think that 80's TV was great.

With TV shows like:

Sledge Hammer

Cheers

Murphy Brown

The Cosby Show

Hill Street Blues

Miami Vice

21 Jump Street

Robotech (great animation)

Voltron (the cars and the lions)

Ulysses 33

M.A.S.K

plus, the 80's also had the benifit of all those awsome 70's TV shows and cartoons on re-runs or in their final years.

AN

Written By: robby76 on 01/14/06 at 9:27 pm

80's television is the best and unrivalled! More tv shows on dvd from this decade please!!!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/14/06 at 10:27 pm

Turner Network Television had two hours of Looney Tunes cartoons,unedited, from 6pm-8pm weekdays in the late 1980's!
And Fox had The Simpsons in 1989!

The older "Simpsons" episodes when Bart was the real bad boy are the best!

And ABC Daytime had General Hospital, which starred that sexy Rick Springfield, also Anthony Geary as Luke Spencer and Jack Wagner as Frisco, and hunky Tristan Rogers as Robert Scorpio!

Written By: snozberries on 01/15/06 at 11:10 am

What are you talking about there is a lot of great TV from the 80's

Cartoons
Jem and the Holograms and GI JOE were AWESOME Cartoons!  What about Voltron, Thundercats, Smurfs, He-man and She-Ra, Ducktales (Whoo Woo). Fraggle Rock not a cartoon but Darn Good anyway. Oh yeah and Alvin and the Chipmunks

QualityTV Shows...
Designing Women 1986
Cagney and Lacey 1982
Kate and Allie 1984
China Beach 1988
Degrassi Junior High and Degrassi High
Golden Girls 1985
Hill Street Blues
Wonder Years 1988
The Cosby Show 1984
A Different World
Cheers 1982
Newhart 1982
Moonlighting 1985
Roseanne 1988
Murphy Brown 1988
St  Elsewhere 1982
Crime Story 1986

Guily Pleasures
21 Jumpstreet 1987
Beauty and the Beast 1987
Fame 1982
Hunter
Miami Vice 1984
MacGuyver 1985
Magnum PI
ThirtySomething

And Don't Fprget OPRAH!

Some Good Shows You Probably Consider 90's that started in 89
Seinfeld
Quantum Leap
Life Goes On

Check for new replies or respond here...