inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Pet Shop Boys: New Wave?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/09/06 at 5:18 pm

I'd have to say Yes.  But they're more "musical" than most New Wave bands, if you know what I mean.

Subject: Re: Pet Shop Boys: New Wave?

Written By: whistledog on 01/09/06 at 9:01 pm

I never really thought of them as New Wave .. more Freestyle and Dance

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/09/06 at 11:34 pm

I guess it depends on the song. My favorite is "How am I Gonna Get Through" (love that!) - that's one of those middle paced ones (i.e. not a ballad but not totally upbeat either) and I'd just call that pop, in the same way a song like Will To Power's "Baby I Love Your Way/Freebird" is.

There was definitely a style of pop/dance music from about 1987-90 and maybe '91 too which had this general vibe to it.

I wouldn't call it new wave, but definitely influenced by it. Actually it felt like a mix of new wave before it, and a softer variation of the alternative/"Modern" rock in the 90's that would follow it.

Written By: PatBateman on 01/11/06 at 5:17 am

I guess it depends on the song. My favorite is "How am I Gonna Get Through" (love that!) - that's one of those middle paced ones (i.e. not a ballad but not totally upbeat either) and I'd just call that pop, in the same way a song like Will To Power's "Baby I Love Your Way/Freebird" is.

There was definitely a style of pop/dance music from about 1987-90 and maybe '91 too which had this general vibe to it.

I wouldn't call it new wave, but definitely influenced by it. Actually it felt like a mix of new wave before it, and a softer variation of the alternative/"Modern" rock in the 90's that would follow it.

That song was "What have I done to deserve this" made with Dusty Springfield in 1987. I think PSB was one of the biggest names in European Pop charts during 1985-1989. I don't know if they had any major hits in US...anyone from states? Could you confirm...

Written By: Carl on 01/11/06 at 8:48 am

Didn't they also do a version of Willie Nelson's 'You were always on my mind'?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/11/06 at 12:54 pm

Didn't they also do a version of Willie Nelson's 'You were always on my mind'?

Yes they did a remake of the song, "You are always on my mind"

Written By: whistledog on 01/11/06 at 1:01 pm

That song was "What have I done to deserve this" made with Dusty Springfield in 1987. I think PSB was one of the biggest names in European Pop charts during 1985-1989. I don't know if they had any major hits in US...anyone from states? Could you confirm...

They charted a total of 12 Pop Hits from 1985-1991, 6 of which went Top 40

Their last ever top 40 hit in America was "Domino Dancing" in 1988.  Their last ever appearance in the U.S. pop charts was their 1991 medley of "Where the Streets Have No Name / Can't Take My Eyes Off You"

They were more of a success on the Dance Charts

Written By: BCRichrocker on 01/11/06 at 1:13 pm

Yes.

All the Wavers I knew listened to them.

Written By: MLB on 01/11/06 at 1:55 pm

NOOO!  Pop= most definitely  but please, they can't be considered New Wave!  They don't strike me as the pretty hair, smooth type of new wave I always categorized others by.

Written By: Carl on 01/11/06 at 2:03 pm

Yes they did a remake of the song, "You are always on my mind"

Oops! ARE always on my mind, okay  ::)

Not the kind of group you would expect to do a remake of a country song, but it sounded pretty good.

Written By: Paul on 01/11/06 at 2:33 pm

Not the kind of group you would expect to do a remake of a country song, but it sounded pretty good.

Well, I don't think they had 'country' in mind (even tho' 'AOMM' is a country song...)

They first performed it on an Elvis Presley 'tribute' show just before Christmas 1987 and it proved to be so popular that it was rush-released in time for Christmas...

Elvis? You may ask?

Yes...he had a British hit with it in 1972, but the 'country' version was originally by Brenda Lee...

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/11/06 at 2:36 pm

Well, I don't think they had 'country' in mind (even tho' 'AOMM' is a country song...)

They first performed it on an Elvis Presley 'tribute' show just before Christmas 1987 and it proved to be so popular that it was rush-released in time for Christmas...

Elvis? You may ask?

Yes...he had a British hit with it in 1972, but the 'country' version was originally by Brenda Lee...

Both versions of "Always on my Mind" are classic.  8)

No band captures the late '80s the way Pet Shop Boys do.

Check for new replies or respond here...