inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Remember the Sears Wishbook Catalogs?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/09/06 at 6:12 pm

I use to LOVE going through these catalogs and dreaming of all the neat Christmas gifts I could get. I use to have a fascination with jewelry as a kid and loved staring at the beautiful emerald rings and diamonds, but this was a different catalog I'd go through. It was our "Best" Department store catalog, which is a store that's no longer around... I wonder where that catalog went? I know I saved it.. lol.

Subject: Re: Remember the Sears Wishbook Catalogs?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 01/09/06 at 6:20 pm

I absolutely loved that catalog and the BEST catalog too. 

Now, I do the same thing with the Silhouettes (plus-size clothing) and the FIJI (cheese and summer sausage) catalogs.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/09/06 at 6:53 pm

Oh yeah!!!!!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/09/06 at 7:04 pm

I remember it too.

Written By: whistledog on 01/09/06 at 9:01 pm

I remember those Catalogues.  I used to always look in those for potential Christmas Gifts that I wanted  ;D  It was either that, or the Consumers Distributing Catalogue, which was a chain of warehouse stores we had over here

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/09/06 at 9:08 pm

Those catalogs were the GREATEST!!  My wide eyes would also light up when I would browse through it at Christmas-time, planning what I would write on my Christmas list to Santa.

Written By: ADH13 on 01/09/06 at 9:18 pm

Those catalogs were the GREATEST!!  My wide eyes would also light up when I would browse through it at Christmas-time, planning what I would write on my Christmas list to Santa.

Yeah, I loved that catalog too!  I remember getting that one and the Spiegel one every year.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/09/06 at 9:41 pm

Consumers Distributing Catalogue was good too.

Written By: wsmith4 on 01/10/06 at 9:20 am

they were the BEST.  I actually got a couple of them off of Ebay recently...so much fun to look thru at all those 80's toys.  i miss it!!

Written By: livinonthe80s on 01/10/06 at 12:47 pm

Yeah, and that is all it stayed...a WISH!!! :\'(

Written By: GREEN67 on 01/10/06 at 10:53 pm

8)  I loved the Sears catalog too! I would go throu and turn the pages down on the corner of stuff I wanted, Never got most of it but it was fun to dream...( anyone remember the scandal of the sears catalog?...It might have been the late 70s, or very early eighties...there was ONE shot of a male model in the underwear section, tightie whities, and could clearly see his package!..so very scandalous!..we kids overheard and scoured the pages to find that pic..it really wasnt THAT bad..compared to todays stuff..Victorias Secret catalogs Etc..but it was enough then to start a big todo..)..LOL!!..i also remember the "Service Merchandise " catalog...great stuff in it too!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/10/06 at 11:19 pm

8)  I loved the Sears catalog too! I would go throu and turn the pages down on the corner of stuff I wanted, Never got most of it but it was fun to dream...( anyone remember the scandal of the sears catalog?...It might have been the late 70s, or very early eighties...there was ONE shot of a male model in the underwear section, tightie whities, and could clearly see his package!..so very scandalous!..we kids overheard and scoured the pages to find that pic..it really wasnt THAT bad..compared to todays stuff..Victorias Secret catalogs Etc..but it was enough then to start a big todo..)..LOL!!..i also remember the "Service Merchandise " catalog...great stuff in it too!

OMG...that is so funny!! ;D

Written By: whistledog on 01/11/06 at 12:23 am

there was ONE shot of a male model in the underwear section, tightie whities, and could clearly see his package!

I'd hate to be the one to unwrap that package at Christmas time  ;D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/11/06 at 3:02 pm

Yeah, we also had the Service Merchandise catalogs for some time. I think we may even have one from 1996 somewhere in our packed boxes in the garage.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/11/06 at 7:29 pm

wow...I would love to get my hands on a few of those...from the 80's....but I checked on Ebay..and I just can't afford to splurge on them right now.

Written By: GREEN67 on 01/11/06 at 9:44 pm

OMG...that is so funny!! ;D
8)  it was hysterical, I remember my mom and her best friend just freaking out on it, I cant believe anyone does not remember this!...I would like to have that catalog too, just for keepsake...it was the biggest thing then, as far as catalogs go........

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/11/06 at 10:13 pm

8)  it was hysterical, I remember my mom and her best friend just freaking out on it, I cant believe anyone does not remember this!...I would like to have that catalog too, just for keepsake...it was the biggest thing then, as far as catalogs go........

Biggest Thing!! haahahahahah! ;D Sorry..I just had to!! :D

Written By: GREEN67 on 01/12/06 at 8:46 am

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Allie Fox on 01/12/06 at 12:12 pm

It was the 1975 Sears Fall/Winter Catalog.

See this article on snopes.com

I have a few Christmas catalogs from the late 70s/early 80s.  All of them are Sears or JC Penney.  They are a valuable tool for collecting old toys and other kitsch from the era as they have actual names and descriptions of the items I am searching for.

Another neat thing about them is how dated they have become.  One day my kids will look at them and say, "I didn't know that the Houston Texans were called the 'Oilers'." and "WOW!  That PC only had 64K of RAM?!?"  and "That's what a VCR and record player look like."

They are pictorial time capsules.

Written By: GREEN67 on 01/13/06 at 7:50 pm

8) thats soo funny to see THAT again!!....

Written By: Nostalgiant on 03/29/06 at 10:03 pm

The entire 1975 Wishbook was scanned and posted onto Flickr a little while back.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wishbook/sets/72057594059350688/

The 1979 Wishbook too!

:D

Written By: NozmoKing on 03/29/06 at 10:23 pm

WOW!!!  Sears catalogs...

We couldnt wait to get them when we were kids. My sister always looked for Barbie and Western toys and I always went right for the latest AFX and Tyco slot car sets and new Tudor electric football teams.

NozmoKing

Written By: nally on 03/29/06 at 10:28 pm

WOW!!!  Sears catalogs...

We couldnt wait to get them when we were kids. My sister always looked for Barbie and Western toys and I always went right for the latest AFX and Tyco slot car sets and new Tudor electric football teams.

NozmoKing

Oh yes! As a child in the 80's, I remember looking through those catalogs and coming across toys and games that looked like lots of fun to me. Couldn't get 'em all, though. I even had a few of those toys/games already.

Written By: airsupplyairhead on 03/30/06 at 12:57 pm

I use to LOVE going through these catalogs and dreaming of all the neat Christmas gifts I could get. I use to have a fascination with jewelry as a kid and loved staring at the beautiful emerald rings and diamonds, but this was a different catalog I'd go through. It was our "Best" Department store catalog, which is a store that's no longer around... I wonder where that catalog went? I know I saved it.. lol.

I TOTALLY loved it to death!

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/30/06 at 7:10 pm

We still have all the sears wishbooks we got between 1985-1993. I still look through them every once in a while. Man i'm such a nostalgia freak ;D

But yeah I remember getting them when I was younger looking through them and seeing somthing I wanted and getting all exited. Man I miss those days :\'(

Check for new replies or respond here...