inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Which of these bands sound '80s (vote for all)?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/10/06 at 12:06 pm

I won't vote.

Subject: Re: Which of these bands sound '80s (vote for all)?

Written By: whistledog on 01/10/06 at 12:38 pm

None of them do. 

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/10/06 at 12:39 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 01/16/06 at 2:43 am

Define "Sounds 80s"  ???

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/16/06 at 11:30 pm

I think most have a vague to distinct 80's influence - I'll list 'em all separately on a scale of 1 to 10 at the end. :)

Ace of Base:
I remember when "The Sign" came out in 1994 (loved it the first time I heard it, btw), and that always seemed very 80's to me, just in a modern sense. It had a 90's electronic dance beat, but with a late 80's keyboard pop feel. Kind of the same way the Pointer Sisters' "Jump for My Love" was in style with 1984, but kinda had a late 70's Disco influence at the same time. 6/10

Smash Mouth:
On the first album (i.e. "Walking on the Sun") not really. That was more 90's alternative/punk with a pop sheen. The second one (with "Till the Morning Comes" and "All Star", as well as a Blow Monkeys cover) did sound at times, the way 80's pop would have if it had kept evolving, if that makes sense. 3/10

The Darkness:
Love these guys. Sure, it's no secret they're trying (maybe a little too hard) to revive 80's hair metal, but it's hair metal out of a mid 2000's recording studio. A little more updated and "in your face". 9/10

The Killers:
Yeah. While the Darkness are putting a (slightly) modern take on 80's pop/metal, these guys are doing the same in regards to 80's new wave. It's hard rock-ish new wave though - maybe with a vague punk influence (in a good way). 7/10

Franz Ferdinand:
Don't know too much about them. I'd basically put them in the same category as the Killers, but a teeny bit more "college radio 80s". 5/10?

Spice Girls:
I only know "Wannabe" (one of my guilty pleasure songs from 1997!) - this was, to me, when the influence of pop started to take over again. It could pass as kinda NKOTB or Debbie Gibson-ish in a 90's way. 3/10

Disturbed:
Never listened to them, but I'm inclined to say not at all - more modern rock/nu metal.

Nine Inch Nails:
Their mid 90's stuff is very industrial, so no for that, but their newest single I guess is like the harsher 80's underground rock, in its own way. 2/10

Postal Service:
I don't have anything of theirs, so I don't know it in a detailed way, but they've got a cool sound - I've heard 'em on the radio (I swore on my life that it was a Killers song I'd never heard, until my friend corrected me, LOL). 6/10

No Doubt:
Gwen Stefani's solo stuff is more "80s" than the band's work, but they have some songs that are like a cross between teen pop and new wave/alternative/college rock ("Just a Girl" is the best example). The pronounced "ska" influence actually adds to the 80's feel IMO, even though that's probably more popular now than in the actual 80's. 5/10

So, I guess they all have a teeny bit of 80's in 'em. 8)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/16/06 at 11:46 pm

I think most have a vague to distinct 80's influence - I'll list 'em all separately on a scale of 1 to 10 at the end. :)

Ace of Base:
I remember when "The Sign" came out in 1994 (loved it the first time I heard it, btw), and that always seemed very 80's to me, just in a modern sense. It had a 90's electronic dance beat, but with a late 80's keyboard pop feel. Kind of the same way the Pointer Sisters' "Jump for My Love" was in style with 1984, but kinda had a late 70's Disco influence at the same time. 6/10

Smash Mouth:
On the first album (i.e. "Walking on the Sun") not really. That was more 90's alternative/punk with a pop sheen. The second one (with "Till the Morning Comes" and "All Star", as well as a Blow Monkeys cover) did sound at times, the way 80's pop would have if it had kept evolving, if that makes sense. 3/10

The Darkness:
Love these guys. Sure, it's no secret they're trying (maybe a little too hard) to revive 80's hair metal, but it's hair metal out of a mid 2000's recording studio. A little more updated and "in your face". 9/10

The Killers:
Yeah. While the Darkness are putting a (slightly) modern take on 80's pop/metal, these guys are doing the same in regards to 80's new wave. It's hard rock-ish new wave though - maybe with a vague punk influence (in a good way). 7/10

Franz Ferdinand:
Don't know too much about them. I'd basically put them in the same category as the Killers, but a teeny bit more "college radio 80s". 5/10?

Spice Girls:
I only know "Wannabe" (one of my guilty pleasure songs from 1997!) - this was, to me, when the influence of pop started to take over again. It could pass as kinda NKOTB or Debbie Gibson-ish in a 90's way. 3/10

Disturbed:
Never listened to them, but I'm inclined to say not at all - more modern rock/nu metal.

Nine Inch Nails:
Their mid 90's stuff is very industrial, so no for that, but their newest single I guess is like the harsher 80's underground rock, in its own way. 2/10

Postal Service:
I don't have anything of theirs, so I don't know it in a detailed way, but they've got a cool sound - I've heard 'em on the radio (I swore on my life that it was a Killers song I'd never heard, until my friend corrected me, LOL). 6/10

No Doubt:
Gwen Stefani's solo stuff is more "80s" than the band's work, but they have some songs that are like a cross between teen pop and new wave/alternative/college rock ("Just a Girl" is the best example). The pronounced "ska" influence actually adds to the 80's feel IMO, even though that's probably more popular now than in the actual 80's. 5/10

So, I guess they all have a teeny bit of 80's in 'em. 8)

I'd say:

Ace of Base: 4/10 '80sness (they're actually very '90s, but on common ground with '80s.  I couldn't see them around today.)
Smash Mouth: 5/10 (they do have ska and new wave influences)
Darkness: 10/10 (Def Leppard for the 2000s)
The Killers: 8/10 (very much a modern '80s band, but with a '90s/'00s indie tinge for "hipness")
Franz Ferdinand: 7/10 (kind of between White Stripes and Killers in style)
Spice Girls: 3/10 (1997-99, founders of millenial teen pop era with BSB)
Disturbed: 2/10 (actually, they covered "Shout" and are actually a pretty cool band, believe it or not)
NIN: 4/10 Very '90s, but "Head Like A Hole" sounds like a very dark '80s song
Postal Service: "Such Great Heights" is so new wave 7/10
No Doubt: Quite '90s/'00s, but Gwen is a very '80s person: 6/10

I know I'm more a New Wave guy and you're a Arena Rock guy, Marty, so of course my idea of "Eighties" is a little different from yours :)

Another 80esque modern band is The Arcade Fire.  They're kind of like orchestral rock, and sound somewhat like Talking Heads or ELO.

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 01/16/06 at 11:51 pm

"Head Like a Hole" probably sounds like a dark 80's song because it is a dark 80's song - it was released in 1989.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/16/06 at 11:52 pm

"Head Like a Hole" probably sounds like a dark 80's song because it is a dark 80's song - it was released in 1989.

True.

It is techinally a 1990 single I think but I'm just being a d*ck there  ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/16/06 at 11:54 pm

I'd say:

Ace of Base: 4/10 '80sness (they're actually very '90s, but on common ground with '80s.  I couldn't see them around today.)
Smash Mouth: 5/10 (they do have ska and new wave influences)
Darkness: 10/10 (Def Leppard for the 2000s)
The Killers: 8/10 (very much a modern '80s band, but with a '90s/'00s indie tinge for "hipness")
Franz Ferdinand: 7/10 (kind of between White Stripes and Killers in style)
Spice Girls: 3/10 (1997-99, founders of millenial teen pop era with BSB)
Disturbed: 2/10 (actually, they covered "Shout" and are actually a pretty cool band, believe it or not)
NIN: 4/10 Very '90s, but "Head Like A Hole" sounds like a very dark '80s song
Postal Service: "Such Great Heights" is so new wave 7/10
No Doubt: Quite '90s/'00s, but Gwen is a very '80s person: 6/10

Yeah, that sounds right.

BTW, after I wrote my original post, I remembered NIN's first album did in fact come out in 1989. So, on the flip side, "Head Like a Hole" sounds sort of like 80's influenced grunge/dark rock.

I'll also take a listen to Disturbed when I can too.

I know I'm more a New Wave guy and you're a Arena Rock guy, Marty, so of course my idea of "Eighties" is a little different from yours :)

True that (although I love keyboards in general, so I'm into new wave too). BTW, I think the Cars' Heartbeat City album is like a cross of the two. That's got some great songs.

Another 80esque modern band is The Arcade Fire.  They're kind of like orchestral rock, and sound somewhat like Talking Heads or ELO.

Sounds cool - I like both those bands (especially ELO's "Hold on Tight").

Check for new replies or respond here...