inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: In search of that poor cat

Written By: Chico McDirk on 01/10/06 at 2:45 pm

Here's a nebulous one for music buffs...

I'm trying to find the song in a video that would have aired some time around '84-'85... at least it did here in Canada. I barely remember the music, but the video was animated in a rough, cartoonish way. The singer was animated, and the action took place inside and outside a house. The main thing I have to go on is that there was cat in the video who kept getting whacked with objects, trampled, and otherwise bashed around (Not in a cruel way, but a Tom & Jerry-style invincible way).

I always thought the chorus went something like "can't stand back" or something like that. I was only about 7 years old at the time, but it was the first time I'd seen a music video in a cartoon medium. Very vivid experience (except for everything I've forgotten, I guess).

Can anyone help? Much appreciated!

Subject: Re: In search of that poor cat

Written By: barefootrobin on 01/10/06 at 2:49 pm

Here's a nebulous one for music buffs...

I'm trying to find the song in a video that would have aired some time around '84-'85... at least it did here in Canada. I barely remember the music, but the video was animated in a rough, cartoonish way. The singer was animated, and the action took place inside and outside a house. The main thing I have to go on is that there was cat in the video who kept getting whacked with objects, trampled, and otherwise bashed around (Not in a cruel way, but a Tom & Jerry-style invincible way).

I always thought the chorus went something like "can't stand back" or something like that. I was only about 7 years old at the time, but it was the first time I'd seen a music video in a cartoon medium. Very vivid experience (except for everything I've forgotten, I guess).

Can anyone help? Much appreciated!

I remember that!!!!!!!!!  It was called The Cat Came Back - The very Next Day.......

Written By: whistledog on 01/10/06 at 4:33 pm

Actually, it was the 1984 Canadian hit Can't Stand Still by the Extras.

"I can't relax or I melt like wax, I'm a nervous guy .. I can't stand still, but I can stand a little pain"

I have it on mp3 if you are looking for it :)

Written By: Chico McDirk on 01/10/06 at 4:39 pm

Great, thanks! Had no idea it was Canadian.

"The Cat Came Back" is another classic video/cartoon made up north. Hooray for Canuck animation!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/10/06 at 5:16 pm

I like that song alot!

Written By: Andrew on 09/23/06 at 9:27 pm

"I can't relax or I melt like wax, I'm a nervous guy .. I can't stand still, but I can stand a little pain"

I have it on mp3 if you are looking for it :)

I would be interested in it if you happen to get this reply.  I have been looking for this song for ages.  Finding the video would be even better but the song would be great.

Written By: whistledog on 09/23/06 at 9:42 pm

I would be interested in it if you happen to get this reply.  I have been looking for this song for ages.  Finding the video would be even better but the song would be great.

Where shall I send it?

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/23/06 at 11:20 pm

I like that song alot!
  8) jamie...where have you been...I guess you got lost in the neverending story!...missed ya...You prob dont remem me..its been awhile... ;)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/25/06 at 3:18 pm

I have just not posted in awhile.

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/17/11 at 11:35 pm

I, too, thought it was The Cat Came Back, but...

...yeah, that.

3jwTmMxMxAc

It's like Itchy and Scratchy - not before the Simpsons became lame, but before the Simpsons even existed.

Written By: whistledog on 05/17/11 at 11:41 pm

Still one of the best Canadian music videos of the 80s 8)

The single however, did nothing in the charts.  It was the video that helped make this song memorable.

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/17/11 at 11:47 pm

Still one of the best Canadian music videos of the 80s 8)

The single however, did nothing in the charts.  It was the video that helped make this song memorable.

No argument there - I'd never heard of the track either, and I'm usually not bad at CanCon.  Thanks for this one.

Written By: Howard on 05/18/11 at 6:28 am

I, too, thought it was The Cat Came Back, but...

...yeah, that.

3jwTmMxMxAc

It's like Itchy and Scratchy - not before the Simpsons became lame, but before the Simpsons even existed.

I like this video.  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...