inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How popular was Debbie Gibson in the '80's?

Written By: woops on 01/13/06 at 5:23 pm

Just curious since most people are only familiar with Deborah Gibson as a pop princess in the 1980's, though she's now a successful stage actress and still release albums.

...also on "Skating with Celebrities", which she doesn't deserve to be in...

I know she had several hits, but was she as famous like Molly Ringwald or only famous in the world of teen magazines like how several current young pop acts are only seen on Disney Channel (What happened to that channel, though Ashley Tisdale is a good actress)

Bio:

http://www.discomuseum.com/DebbieGibson.html

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Park/7255/03.jpg

Subject: Re: How popular was Debbie Gibson in the '80's?

Written By: whistledog on 01/13/06 at 5:41 pm

I remember when Debbie Gibson was very popular.  She had 8 Top 40 hits between 1987 and 1989, thus she was on the cover of all of the teen magazines, her videos were all over the music channels, and her albums were flying off the store shelves

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/13/06 at 7:46 pm

She was pretty big back then. I was a big fan. However, after a while, she wasn't so big anymore. I stopped listening to her after Electric Youth b/c as teen girls are, I was very fickle in my fandom then.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/13/06 at 9:53 pm

She was pretty big back then. I was a big fan. However, after a while, she wasn't so big anymore. I stopped listening to her after Electric Youth b/c as teen girls are, I was very fickle in my fandom then.

Unlike Britney, Debbie faded away for good circa 1991.

Written By: AnnieBanannie on 01/14/06 at 1:15 am

Unlike Britney, Debbie faded away for good circa 1991.

Au contraire!  Debbie's still out there doing her thing, though I've never heard any of her adult stuff.  If anyone looks about to fade away, it's Britney!  She appears to be totally washed up.

I was shocked to hear Deb's doing that silly skating show.  Then again, we girls do some weird things in our 30's once the old age paranoia hits...

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 01/14/06 at 7:17 am

I would say she was very popular back in the late-80s. She had a few albums that sold millions of copies each and had an impressive list of Top Ten hits, including a Number One ("Lost in Your Eyes"). Her career pretty much eclipsed the other teen pop queen of the era, Tiffany. Although she did leave the limelight by the time the 1990s rolled around, she has continued to write songs and perform as well as act, on the small screen and on stage. She even did a semi-nude layout in Playboy a few years back (just as Tiffany did), I suppose as a way to finally shed her goodie-goodie girl image. Was she as well-known then as Britney Spears is now, I would have to say no, but she was the most popular young female pop star of her day.

Written By: livinonthe80s on 01/14/06 at 5:50 pm

I was and still am a big fan of hers then and now.  Not only was she a popular singer, she one a talented one that wrote her own songs.  If I am correct, I think she was and still might be the youngest to write, sing, and produce a number one hit.

Written By: woops on 01/14/06 at 5:53 pm

Deborah Gibson will appear on the O'Neill brothers' (blech!) new album "Someone You Love", which she'll sing the title track and a remake of her classic 1989 ballad "Lost In Your Eyes".

According to Amazon and CD Universe, the album is out on Febuary 14th. She'll also tour with them in the midwest that month.

http://www.pianobrothers.com/news/someoneyoulove.asp

Though I wouldn't buy that album since she only appear on two tracks and not into intstrumental/new age music.

Unlike Britney, Deborah did her own material (wrote/produced songs and played piano)  and had class, which she's still a talented artist to this day, IMO. Despite that she nolongers tops the charts and sell out stadiums.

Then again, most music today is a vast cesspool.  ::)

http://cache.eonline.com/News/Photos/g/gibson.debra.012605.jpg

Written By: woops on 01/14/06 at 5:54 pm

I was and still am a big fan of hers then and now.  Not only was she a popular singer, she one a talented one that wrote her own songs.  If I am correct, I think she was and still might be the youngest to write, sing, and produce a number one hit.

That is correct.

In 1988, she became the youngest artst to do so with "Foolish Beat"...which still stands to this day.  :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/15/06 at 5:34 am

I heard about her and saw her in the teen 'zines and heard her songs on the radio, but I wasn't into teenybopper stuff.
Well, I was into some teenybopper stuff, but not teenybopper stuff blatantly marketed as such!

Written By: STAR70 on 01/15/06 at 5:19 pm

very very popular

Check for new replies or respond here...