inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Rick Springfield...anyone??

Written By: livinonthe80s on 01/15/06 at 3:50 pm

Gotta admit, was a huge fan and still am today. ::)  Since I was one NOT to get the girl :\'(, I could relate to alot of his songs even though Rick really got the girls in real life. >:(
I really liked his guitar player, Tim Pierce who I got to meet at the NAMM show in LA.  Think he never really liked playing with Rick when I mentioned about him playing for Rick.  He really enjoyed when I mentioned about he solo album which I like.

Subject: Re: Rick Springfield...anyone??

Written By: whistledog on 01/15/06 at 4:07 pm

Rick Springfield had 17 hits in the 80's, and I love them all :)

Written By: WembleyBooberGobo on 01/15/06 at 11:30 pm

I think he's pretty cool. It's nice to see him on tv again. I love his music. Back in the 80s my uncle told me how Rick came to town for a  concert and my uncle was at the local arcade like he always was playing with his friends and Rick came in and he played a game against my uncle. I cant remember what arcade game it was. My uncle lost . Rick played against my uncle's friend Tiny and he beat Tiny and I guess Tiny was supposed to be Really good at that game...then people got word that he was there so all these girls started to show up but he had already left .But I guess my uncle said he was pretty cool. He remembers him being tiny though and I dont think Rick Springfield is short. Anyways i love his songs.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/16/06 at 12:14 am

Rick Springfield is awesome! I just recently saw him perform on the "Ellen Show"...he was fantastic! :)

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 01/16/06 at 5:59 am

I love Rick Springfield back in the 80's  and now.

Written By: Banks on 01/16/06 at 7:13 am

If I remember right, Rick Springfield was in a band back in the 70's that had a few hits. Cant remember the bands name though, or the songs, but I do remember him from back then a little.

I do like his songs though, especially Jesse's Girl (one of my favorite 80's tunes). I liked it because I had a friend named Jesse who was going out with a girl that I liked a LOT. Unlike in the song, I eventually got the girl (with my friends consent) a year or two after.

AN

Written By: Carl on 01/16/06 at 11:36 am

I was a fan of his, I'll admit it too. Jessie's Girl is may favorite because, well, I can relate to that too! LOL!!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/16/06 at 12:36 pm

Don't Talk to Strangers was my fav. I also liked Celebrate Youth.

Cat

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/16/06 at 4:40 pm

I loved both his music and his character on General Hospital, Dr. Noah Drake!

I'm surprised no one mentioned anything about Rick Springfield on GH....

Written By: sweetie44 on 01/16/06 at 6:30 pm

i remember rick springfield on gh he was a doctor than he left the show for his music  career now he is back on gh playing a doctor with robin scorpio if you know who she is. now rick is playing an allcoholic.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/16/06 at 11:20 pm

Don't Talk to Strangers was my fav.

Cat

I think I like that one best too, because it was in Fast Times At Ridgemont High.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/16/06 at 11:26 pm

I think I like that one best too, because it was in Fast Times At Ridgemont High.

I loved that movie! ;)

Written By: whistledog on 01/16/06 at 11:32 pm

Best Springfield tune was 'Affair of the Heart'.  Such a fantastic song 8)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/16/06 at 11:32 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/16/06 at 11:40 pm

Yeah, he's cool. As for favorite songs, it's a tossup between "Don't Talk to Strangers", "Love Somebody" and "What Kind of Fool am I" (his best slower song), but heck, they all rock. :)

Musically = The first two albums were pretty basic pop/rock (in a good way), kinda like Bryan Adams. Living in Oz kinda had a darker, more hard rocking sound. Hell, in terms of lyrics, the song "Human Touch" would fit today better than in 1983.

Acting = I haven't seen him in anything besides clips from General Hospital in the early 80's (I know he also actually had his own shortlived animated series in the mid 70's before he made it big). I'll also say he's a good looking guy - and I don't at all blame the tons of girls/women who think so too.

Written By: whistledog on 01/16/06 at 11:49 pm

Acting = I haven't seen him in anything besides clips from General Hospital in the early 80's. But he's a good looking guy (and I don't at all blame the tons of girls/women who think so too).

He starred on a popular action show in the 90's called "High Tide".  He played an ex-cop, turned surfer who teams up with his brother to offer their services to anyone who needed help, mostly which involved undercover missions for the government

It was a fun show :)

Written By: livinonthe80s on 01/17/06 at 1:16 am

How bout the less famous "Hard to Hold" movie?  It was alright, but being a fan, I have the dvd.  Also "The American Girl" was a cool song which was on the movie. "Private School" which also was a cool movie.  Can't find it on DVD though.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/17/06 at 2:29 am

And she's watching him with those eyes, and she loving him with that body I just know it, & he's holding her in his arms late late at night. dum dum dum dum dum dum you know I wish that I had Jesse's girl. I wish I had Jesse's girl, Why can't I find a woman like that!  now there's a effng songwriting  8) Rick rocks!  Me and the wife were at Disneyland 10-15 years ago or so, and I thought I saw him there with his wife, but i didn't wanna bother him, they had a kid in stroller. maybe it was him, maybe not. looked alot like him.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 01/17/06 at 4:00 am

Loved Rick Springfield!
He had some really great lyrics
Some of my faves:

Don't walk away
Celebrate Youth
Taxi Dancing (a duet from "Hard to hold" movie soundtrack)
Great lost art of conversation
Don't call me Bruce (a funny reference to alot of people calling him Bruce Springsteen instead of Rick Springfield)
and my all-time favorite "Souls"

He's aged reasonably well (better then I've aged, that's for sure)
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0009S87EY.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg
http://www.allposters.com/IMAGES/MMPH/C57701_a.jpg
http://www.imissthe80s.com/images/rickgh.jpg

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/17/06 at 7:07 am

Loved Rick Springfield!
He had some really great lyrics
Some of my faves:

Don't walk away
Celebrate Youth
Taxi Dancing (a duet from "Hard to hold" movie soundtrack)
Great lost art of conversation
Don't call me Bruce (a funny reference to alot of people calling him Bruce Springsteen instead of Rick Springfield)
and my all-time favorite "Souls"

He's aged reasonably well (better then I've aged, that's for sure)
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0009S87EY.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg
http://www.allposters.com/IMAGES/MMPH/C57701_a.jpg
http://www.imissthe80s.com/images/rickgh.jpg

I agree! I saw him on a talk show a few weeks ago..and I was like, "wow...he still looks good" LOL! ;)

Written By: spaceace on 01/17/06 at 2:21 pm

I love the song "Human Touch"  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/17/06 at 3:43 pm

Didn't start watching GH until AFTER he left.

i remember rick springfield on gh he was a doctor than he left the show for his music  career now he is back on gh playing a doctor with robin scorpio if you know who she is. now rick is playing an allcoholic.

Stopped watching GH a few years ago. (But I still catch it once in a great while-usually on Soap Net  ;) )

Cat

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/18/06 at 9:01 pm

Gawd,now Rick Springfield and Maurice Benard BOTH on GH...I gotta buy me a VCR or DVD recorder(will be in college when GH is on)to watch two of ABC Daytime's two sexiest men!!!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 04/23/07 at 2:55 am

Rick Springfield Working Class Dog Tour 07

I'm thinking of getting tix for me & Lady Di when Rick comes to California

Written By: statsqueen on 04/23/07 at 11:40 am

I loved all his songs.  I have a special place in my heart because he was my first rock concert (my dad took me--I wasn't old enough to drive).  Def Leppard opened for him.  My dad was older than most of my friends' dads, which made his willingness to sit through all that rock guitar stuff even more special (not to mention his putting up with the smell of weed wafting up the bleachers--I'm sure we both got contact highs).  ;D  Good memories.

Amy

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/23/07 at 2:54 pm

Hey, keep me updated - I may like to see him if he hits us near by, too!

Written By: Dagwood on 04/23/07 at 10:49 pm

Do it.  I just saw him on the 30th of March.  It was an excellent show, probably one of the best I have ever seen. 

I do have to say that he has aged very well.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 04/24/07 at 1:13 am

Hey, keep me updated - I may like to see him if he hits us near by, too!
sure thing Kristen. I know he'll be at the Saratoga Mountain winery in August, and a few other California locales

Do it.  I just saw him on the 30th of March.  It was an excellent show, probably one of the best I have ever seen. 

I do have to say that he has aged very well.
That's a good enough review for me. Now I'm thinking it may be a decent show for $60 bucks. So you just saw him, not even a month ago. Very cool. Where at?

I loved all his songs.  I have a special place in my heart because he was my first rock concert (my dad took me--I wasn't old enough to drive).  Def Leppard opened for him.  My dad was older than most of my friends' dads, which made his willingness to sit through all that rock guitar stuff even more special (not to mention his putting up with the smell of weed wafting up the bleachers--I'm sure we both got contact highs).   ;D  Good memories.

Amy
karma for you & your dad statsqueen. definitely a good memory. thanks for sharing it

Written By: ILUV80S on 04/24/07 at 9:52 am

Love him!  My favorite songs are Love Somebody and Love is Alright Tonite.  I started watching GH again once he came back.  They're not focusing on his alcoholism so much now and they guy they have playing his son, Jason Thompson is spitting image of him.  He's rarely on either, he was on yesterday for the first time in awhile.

Written By: statsqueen on 04/24/07 at 10:02 am

sure thing Kristen. I know he'll be at the Saratoga Mountain winery in August, and a few other California locales
That's a good enough review for me. Now I'm thinking it may be a decent show for $60 bucks. So you just saw him, not even a month ago. Very cool. Where at?
karma for you & your dad statsqueen. definitely a good memory. thanks for sharing it

Thanks for the karma, Badfinger-fan!  How did you get just specific parts of previous posts highlighted for your reply?

Written By: Dagwood on 04/24/07 at 9:36 pm

He was at the Peppermill concert hall in Wendover, Nevada.  Excellent venue.  Maybe 1,000 seats, not a bad seat in the house.  The concert is definitely worth the $60.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 04/24/07 at 10:30 pm

He was at the Peppermill concert hall in Wendover, Nevada.  Excellent venue.  Maybe 1,000 seats, not a bad seat in the house.  The concert is definitely worth the $60.
I'll bet it was fun hearing Rick perform in a small venue. I'll be in Nevada this coming weekend to see a show, not a concert, but the Beatles Love with the cirque du solei group ath the Mirage. maybe we'll see Rick in August when he comes here.

Thanks for the karma, Badfinger-fan!  How did you get just specific parts of previous posts highlighted for your reply?
you're welcome Amy.  after you quote a post, just sroll down to the next post you want to reply to and click insert quote and post for that one, and so on, and so on. good luck. I screw it up sometimes and get all the different posts in the same quote box. so it can get messy.  ;D

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 05/05/07 at 5:28 am

Woohoo he is touring Aus in September !!  I may just have to go and rediscover him.

My fave role for him was Zac, Apollos brother, in the original Battlestar Galactica.

But this is how most Aussies of the 60s and early 70s remember him.........

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/06/07 at 10:35 am

"Bop 'til you drop"

What did that mean?

:P

Written By: statsqueen on 05/06/07 at 10:39 am

you're welcome Amy.  after you quote a post, just sroll down to the next post you want to reply to and click insert quote and post for that one, and so on, and so on. good luck. I screw it up sometimes and get all the different posts in the same quote box. so it can get messy.  ;D

Thank you!  Karma to you.

Written By: jackas on 05/06/07 at 10:29 pm

OMG... I loved Rick Springfield.  He was so hot in Jesse's Girl! ;D

I gotta admit that I still love to sing out loud when I hear one of his songs! :D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/06/07 at 11:28 pm

OMG... I loved Rick Springfield.  He was so hot in Jesse's Girl! ;D

I gotta admit that I still love to sing out loud when I hear one of his songs! :D
it's his best. I crank that puppy up when it's on.

Written By: robby76 on 05/07/07 at 6:23 am

Love Somebody is the ultimate Springfield hit for me.

He also guest-starred on The Hardy Boys Nancy Drew Mysteries' 1978 second season - which I've pre-ordered on dvd. Should be fun to see a very young Rick in action.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/07/07 at 1:56 pm

I was really hoping that Rick would be touring near where I live...but I checked the website, and the closest venue is like 5 or 6 hours away. :-\\

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/07/07 at 5:44 pm

He's okay, but I can't say I listen to him very often...

'Don't Talk To Strangers' would probably be my favorite of the songs he's done... :)

Written By: Perryfan on 05/07/07 at 8:23 pm

I saw RS 3 times in the early 80s.  He was awesome!  I'd love to see him now.  I even own an original copy of that cheesy Hard to Hold movie on VHS.  ;D

Written By: happyapples2007 on 05/07/07 at 10:04 pm

i like Human Touch :)

Written By: jackas on 05/07/07 at 11:06 pm

If we're talking favorites, I think I would go with Jessie's Girl or What Kind of Fool Am I.

Check for new replies or respond here...