inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 80s Hard Rock/Metal Guitarists

Written By: livinonthe80s on 01/16/06 at 3:48 am

The 80s Hard Rock/Metal scene was an era where guitar heros were actually guitar heros compared to todays guitarists.  What is a guitarist today that doesn't play any solos?  I really enjoy Disturbed, but Dan Donegan hardly plays any solos and he answered this question saying, "Only if the song calls for it".  There is a huge difference between the 80s guitarists and those the came after, the 80s guitarists simply knew how to play compared to the 3 chord guitarists of the 90s and today.  Jake E Lee quotes that the 80s guitarists are technicians and  I totally agree. I am not saying all of the 90s and todays are in this category, there are a few acceptions.  I also think they are incapable of actually playing like how they did in the 80s, as in the knowledge of the guitar.
I really miss the 80s Hard Rock/Metal scene simply because it was where guitar music was awesome with all its combination of Riffs, Rythmn, and inspiring solos.
My personal favorites are
George Lynch
Jason Becker
Jake E Lee
Vivian Campbell
Warren DeMartini
Reb Beach
Criss Olivia (RIP)
John Norum
Yngwie Malmsteen
Jeff Watson

But you can't leave out the man, Eddie Van Halen.  I just the guitar oriented music to return to its glory of the 80s!!!

Thats my 2 cents, how about yours??

Subject: Re: 80s Hard Rock/Metal Guitarists

Written By: Erick on 01/17/06 at 2:02 pm

Dave Mustaine 
Marty Friedman(in the band cacophoney in the 80s and joined megadeth in 1990)
Eddie Van Halen

There isn't good music anymore like before.

Check for new replies or respond here...