inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why exactly were the '80s looked upon so harshly in the '90s?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/17/06 at 12:31 am

My guess is that because of the early '90s recession, people got mad at the '80s because they perceived the decade as greedy and violent.

Also, because the 1990s are so close to the 21st Century (as to almost be a part of it), some people probably figured holding on to the '80s would prevent the 21st from happening.

Subject: Re: Why exactly were the '80s looked upon so harshly in the '90s?

Written By: bbigd04 on 01/17/06 at 12:44 am

I think a lot of people were just glad the '80s were over, and weren't ready to look back at the '80s. I do remember that the '80s really weren't talked about much in the '90s. I think it's because the '80s were too recent. You could say it about the '90s today, but to a lesser extent, a lot people just don't talk a lot about the '90s yet. There's no big '90s nostalgia movement yet like there is for the '80s.

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/17/06 at 12:45 am

Yeah, Yuppies' spending sprees were halted almost instantly around 1991. Also factor in AIDS awareness circa 1992 as kind of a "wake up call" to the sexual extravagance of the 80's (chronicled perfectly with hair bands!). It was a time to get more serious with stuff like this, so people started viewing the 80's as a joke.

But around 1997 they started to become -- maybe not "cool" but -- slightly less hated, just because by then 1989 was eight years ago.

Written By: Bratpac on 01/22/06 at 12:26 pm

I wasn't old enough to be a yuppy but do you guys realize that because of them we have better service now days?  They are the ones that damanded better service from restaurants, service stores and such.  I think no matter what decade you're in there is always going to be money hungry people, the 80's were deffinently not shy about advertizeing it, I'll give you that.  As for Reagon, he realyy wasn't too bad as a presient.  Granted I wasn't exactly old enough in the begining years, but he really wasn't too bad.  Because of him the cold war ended.

Written By: Doc Brown on 01/22/06 at 2:07 pm

I will forever love the 80's, and I'll never be ashamed to admit it.

I think the problem was that people in the 80's were so jazzed about the future that we had no clue how bad the 90's would become. Young people in the 80's saw those slightly older than them being so successful that we couldn't wait to get out of school to start getting rich and having fun... but then the recession hit and people fresh out of school wound up asking, "WHERE'D ALL THE JOBS GO?!?" It was like being invited to a big party that was suddenly over before we got there.

Then, of course there was the two criminals we sent to the White House by greivous mistake. The dishonesty and depravity of Bill and Hilary Clinton(they will rot in blazes for it!), by the mid-to-late 90's, had made us so distrusting of the president, and of the government, that we were borderline ashamed to be Americans. And because of that, especially with the Cold War gone, the Patriotic attitudes of Ronald and Nancy Reagan, along with George Bush and the rest of 1980's America, began to look naive, perhaps even foolish. Only George W. Bush and the resurgence of American pride after 9/11 have managed to vindicate President Reagan and the 80's.

There are probably other factors, but I'm fairly sure those are the main reasons. Any more thoughts?

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 01/22/06 at 2:38 pm

The 70s were hated far, far more intensely during the 80s.  The 70s hate in the 1980s was unbelievable.  It makes the 80s backlash in the 90s look like a spring shower.  The 80s were old in the 90s, but people still liked it.  The revulsion to the 1970s during the 80s bordered on insanity.

Written By: BCRichrocker on 01/22/06 at 2:57 pm

The 70s were hated far, far more intensely during the 80s.  The 70s hate in the 1980s was unbelievable.  It makes the 80s backlash in the 90s look like a spring shower.  The 80s were old in the 90s, but people still liked it.  The revulsion to the 1970s during the 80s bordered on insanity.

I was going to say something similiar. Like why were the 70s so hated in the 80s?

Almost every modern decade hates the previous one save the very bizarre fixation that this decade has with the 90s. It is the 6th year of this decade and I still don't hear "that is sooooo 90s" Ha Ha Ha!!" etc. yet. My only guess is that the fire is gone with kids now and they are very much lemmings in a rut. Just as the music, movie, TV, and pop culture entertainment industry is. They have run out of ideas and keep recylcing old ones and that started in the 90s for the most part. The decades previous had much more originality, although of course, did borrow ideas from their predecessors to an extent.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/22/06 at 3:47 pm

I was going to say something similiar. Like why were the 70s so hated in the 80s?

Almost every modern decade hates the previous one save the very bizarre fixation that this decade has with the 90s. It is the 6th year of this decade and I still don't hear "that is sooooo 90s" Ha Ha Ha!!" etc. yet. My only guess is that the fire is gone with kids now and they are very much lemmings in a rut. Just as the music, movie, TV, and pop culture entertainment industry is. They have run out of ideas and keep recylcing old ones and that started in the 90s for the most part. The decades previous had much more originality, although of course, did borrow ideas from their predecessors to an extent.

The funny thing is, the '90s aren't hated, but they're not knowlingly loved either.  People tolerate stuff that's actually from the '90s, but adore 2000s stuff that's '90s-like.  It's so sad too, the '90s aren't that great but people are still into them.  I'd go as far to say that 30% of the stuff from the '90s is HOT right now.

I think in the 2010s the '90s won't be cool anymore, but they won't really be directly despised either.  I do think the 2000s will be though; them copying the '90s isn't going to save them since it's an inferior copy.

Check for new replies or respond here...