inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: ANTHRAX REUNION TOUR

Written By: Erick on 01/17/06 at 1:57 pm

Anthrax has been reunited with frontman Joey Belladonna and they are on tour right now. I am going to see them in San Francisco for the first time on friday! Its going to kick ass! Did anyone go to any of their shows so far on this tour? Did anyone see them in the 80s or early 90s? How were they live when you saw them?

AMONG THE LIVING!!!!!!!!!!!

Subject: Re: ANTHRAX REUNION TOUR

Written By: Erick on 01/17/06 at 8:43 pm

What happened to all the metalheads on this board?!

Written By: kellygoo72 on 01/17/06 at 11:24 pm

I loved Anthrax when I was a kid.. I saw them perform with Ozzy and I saw them On the Clash of the Titans tour.. I had no idea Joey came back to the band... I loved Amoung the Living and my fav was POT.. I still have some of thier video tapes they released and a program from the Amoung The Living.. I had a HUGE crush on Frankie Bello and I have a actual pic of him somewhere.. Its been yrs!!!  Good for them... enjoy the show! ;)

Written By: ragebass on 01/18/06 at 12:53 am

I was stoked when I heard that the "classic" line-up" was getting together. I hope they record at least one CD.

Written By: kellygoo72 on 01/18/06 at 1:00 am

I was stoked when I heard that the "classic" line-up" was getting together. I hope they record at least one CD.
  that would be cool indeed. I missed Joey... John B had a great voice but it wasnt the same.  Do u know for sure if they will release a cd?  if so.  Please post here

Written By: ragebass on 01/18/06 at 1:06 am

that would be cool indeed. I missed Joey... John B had a great voice but it wasnt the same.  Do u know for sure if they will release a cd?  if so.  Please post here

I'm not to sure - they did release a live CD of the tour and a DVD but I hoping for a studio album with new stuff. I read a article in Revolver magazine and I believe Joey wants to do it but Charlie and Scott didn't commit to it as of of yet.

Written By: Powerslave on 01/18/06 at 10:31 am

I interviewed Scott before they toured Australia last year and they had no plans for an album then.

Written By: kellygoo72 on 01/18/06 at 4:36 pm

I interviewed Scott before they toured Australia last year and they had no plans for an album then.
  Well, I hope they decide to go ahead with the album.. It would be great....

Written By: Erick on 01/18/06 at 7:54 pm

Yes they are going to release a new album some time this year. It will be the first recording with the classic line-up since Persistence Of Time! Tonight they were suppose to play in Boulder, Colorado but it was cancelled because Charlie Benante's (Drummer) wife is in labor and he had to fly to Chicago. He won't be playing in San Fran but their will be a replacement drummer so I am still happy eventhough I wanted to see the classic line-up. I know they will be touring like crazy this year since their fanbase is getting so big right now because their music is being more exposed to a younger audience. They will be playing in Anaheim and Hollywood after the SF show so anyone on this board that likes ANTHRAX and lives in that area should go! I'm glad to see some ANTHRAX fans on this board!

METAL THRASHING MAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Written By: Erick on 01/22/06 at 11:37 am

That show was the funnest shows I ever been to! My friend and I were front row center right in front of Joey. I shook his hand so that was cool. My neck still hurts from headbanging too much lol!

ANTHRAX
San Francisco
The Pound
January 20, 2006

Among The Living
Metal Thrashing Mad
Got The Time
Caught In A Mosh
A.I.R.
Keep It In The Family
Skelleton In The Closet
Antisocial
N.F.L.
Medussa
Indians
----------------------
ENCORE:
Be All, End All
Madhouse
I Am The Law

The last recollection yours truly had of the Belladonna/Ian/Spitz/Bello/Benante line up of ANTHRAX, they looked like a band that had been on the road too long. Known for their energetic shows, they could barely keep up with PUBLIC ENEMY as both acts played a double bill at the Kaiser in Oakland. Then, as most of you know, that lineup changed as Joey Belladonna was replaced with Jon Bush and later lead guitarist Dan Spitz left the group and that era of ANTHRAX was a closed chapter.

That was then, now that lineup has reformed for a reunion tour, amongst some criticism from fans and media of how the band is "cashing in for the nostalgia" or how the band left Mr. Bush out in the cold. While, we could debate for days the moral issues of the reunion, there is still the question if the reunited ANTHRAX can still cut it live and could they reconjure the spark the band once had.

Weather it be Joey Belladonna or Jon Bush, as customary, the show began with the "Blues Brothers theme" then, "Among The Living" right out of the box followed by the only Neil Turbin song ("Metal Thrashing Mad") of the evening. What put an early damper was the mix from the soundboard. Belladonna and Bello were fine, but you barely hear the duo of Ian and Spitz.

Karma is a strong presence and you had to wonder if it had taken a turn more downward when Belladonna greeted the crowd and refered to them as Oakland (when we were in San Francisco.) Regardless what this reviewer thought, the crowd ate it up. It was a slow rite to approval, but eventually it was sinking in. "The hits" ("Caught In A Mosh," "Antisocial," "N.F.L.") took over the setlist and looking over at the original composers of that material, it was 1985-1990 again. Despite some appearance difference with hair (on their head and facial,) the band looked like the live monster they were in the eighties and they weren't going through the motions. They actually looked like they were enjoying themselves also.

Sure some songs were tuned down and there was the annoying wah effects Spitz encorperated on some solos, but the band's enthusiasm was genuine and so was the Bay Area crowd that paid to see this show. One of the most memorable moments of the show was pit circle doing the wardance during "Indians." One of more funnier was watching Belladonna try and stay note for note during the encore of "Be All, End All" after he and Bello witnessed a heavy proportioned female passed by "The Sea Of Hands" and flop over the barricade (yes, she was okay :lol ) Every time Belladonna tried to sing a lyric, more laughter ensued.

It must be noted that the band was without drummer Charlie Benante who flew back to be with his wife who gave birth to a baby girl. The drum duties were handled by SHADOWS FALL skinsman Jason Bittner who did a solid job. It almost like Benante was back there himself (well, it helps to have his kit.) "Madhouse" and "I Am The Law" finished up the encores and Ian promised, "The sickest new ANTHRAX album you ever heard!"

I guess, that means they're back for good...........

Check for new replies or respond here...