inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are the '80s a different era in history?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/18/06 at 3:22 pm

The 1980s are, after all, in a different century (although people don't really act like it of course).  There was no Internet (except for a few geeks), few cell phones, only a moderate amount of computers, and no Political Correctness.  Does this make the '80s a fully different era like the '50s or something or not quite?

Subject: Re: Are the '80s a different era in history?

Written By: Bratpac on 01/18/06 at 6:03 pm

The 80's were definately interesting with all of the technological change and advances being made.  I don't know if it was a different area.  Look at the turn of the 20th century.  There were many changes takeing place then too with the inventions of the automobile, the plane, industrialization, and many other inventions we take for granted today.  For the first time in history folks began leaving the country to work in the cities in droves.  That was a definate time in history and I suppose the 80's could be seen as a decade of great change. 8)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/18/06 at 6:05 pm

The 80's were definately interesting with all of the technological change and advances being made.  I don't know if it was a different area.  Look at the turn of the 20th century.  There were many changes takeing place then too with the inventions of the automobile, the plane, industrialization, and many other inventions we take for granted today.  For the first time in history folks began leaving the country to work in the cities in droves.  That was a definate time in history and I suppose the 80's could be seen as a decade of great change. 8)

For sure, the 1990s, except for 1990 and maybe the rest of the early '90s, are within today's realm of time.  But the '90s are also the same era as the '80s.

Written By: stingr22 on 01/18/06 at 8:34 pm

I consider the 80s an entirely different era.  When you think about it, 1980 was 26 years ago.  So much has happened to our world since then.  Besides the fact that technology, fashion, the way people talked, and what we consider entertaining has changed quite a bit since then. 

Our attitudes and outlook on life is so much different than it was back then.  The way I look at different eras and generations is this:  If we could go back in time and spend a day in the early to mid 80s, could we tell that it wasn't the same as it is now?  Definitely.  If you were to go back to 1997 or 1998, you could find some differences, but not as drastic as you would if you were to back to 1985.

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/18/06 at 10:53 pm

I consider the 80s an entirely different era.  When you think about it, 1980 was 26 years ago.  So much has happened to our world since then.  Besides the fact that technology, fashion, the way people talked, and what we consider entertaining has changed quite a bit since then. 

Our attitudes and outlook on life is so much different than it was back then.  The way I look at different eras and generations is this:  If we could go back in time and spend a day in the early to mid 80s, could we tell that it wasn't the same as it is now?  Definitely.  If you were to go back to 1997 or 1998, you could find some differences, but not as drastic as you would if you were to back to 1985.

If you flipped that scenario around, where someone from 1985 came to the present, and -- after observing the outside world for some time -- you asked them what year they thought they were in, I bet they'd think it was about ten-twelve years off (mid 90's).

If you told 'em it was 2006, they'd probably be like "Oh-migooood. No wayy!" ;)

Anyway, for minor things (such as pop culture and technology especially), I agree with you. But the last quarter century is much more "samey" as for the world in general and how we live. 2006 certainly shares more with 1980 than they did with 1954!

Written By: stingr22 on 01/18/06 at 11:08 pm

If you flipped that scenario around, where someone from 1985 came to the present, and -- after observing the outside world for some time -- you asked them what year they thought they were in, I bet they'd think it was about ten-twelve years off (mid 90's).

If you told 'em it was 2006, they'd probably be like "Oh-migooood. No wayy!" ;)

Anyway, for minor things (such as pop culture and technology especially), I agree with you. But the last quarter century is much more "samey" as for the world in general and how we live. 2006 certainly shares more with 1980 than they did with 1954!

True.  If in 1985 if they were asked what 2006 would be like, I'm sure it would more resemble The Jetsons.  But in real life, I think there have been more changes in the world from 1985-2006 than from 1955-1985.  The only big changes (50s - 80s) were music and fashion.  Technologically, there weren't many major advances from the 50s to the 80s.  Microwaves and 8 tracks were about it.  Even the appliances didn't change too much, other than their appearance.  I see your point and do agree with you.  But the original question is "Are the '80s a different era in history?"  I would still say yes.  Just watch "Fast Times At Ridgemont High", "Valley Girl", or a host of other movies or even VH1 Classic.  You will definitely feel like you are from another time...

Written By: whistledog on 01/18/06 at 11:12 pm

If only they had a time machine for the kids of today.  They could travel back to early 1980's and see what life was like, then they'd have more of an appreciation for the things they have today :)

Written By: stingr22 on 01/18/06 at 11:16 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/19/06 at 1:36 am

True.  If in 1985 if they were asked what 2006 would be like, I'm sure it would more resemble The Jetsons.  But in real life, I think there have been more changes in the world from 1985-2006 than from 1955-1985.  The only big changes (50s - 80s) were music and fashion.  Technologically, there weren't many major advances from the 50s to the 80s.  Microwaves and 8 tracks were about it.  Even the appliances didn't change too much, other than their appearance.  I see your point and do agree with you.  But the original question is "Are the '80s a different era in history?"  I would still say yes.  Just watch "Fast Times At Ridgemont High", "Valley Girl", or a host of other movies or even VH1 Classic.  You will definitely feel like you are from another time...

It's true that 80s tech is hugely advanced from that of the '50s.  Yes, the '80s had computers, cell phones, and even the Internet in primitive form, but NOBODY EXCEPT GEEKS used them.  However, the tech of the '90s wasn't much more advanced than that of the '80s until maybe about 1995 or '96 (even the Internet pre-'97 was old school compared to now and not nearly as common).  Also, 1980 is much, much closer in mindset to 2005 than even to 1960.  And 1955 is closer in mindset (although not tech) to 1706 than 2006.

Written By: PatBateman on 01/19/06 at 2:03 am

It's true that 80s tech is hugely advanced from that of the '50s.  Yes, the '80s had computers, cell phones, and even the Internet in primitive form, but NOBODY EXCEPT GEEKS used them.  However, the tech of the '90s wasn't much more advanced than that of the '80s until maybe about 1995 or '96 (even the Internet pre-'97 was old school compared to now and not nearly as common).   Also, 1980 is much, much closer in mindset to 2005 than even to 1960.  And 1955 is closer in mindset (although not tech) to 1706 than 2006.

I don't know where you have lived but I had a computer and so did most of my friends. Were we geeks? I don't think so...but we were a bit younger. People who were born in the 60s didn't have computers at the time or if they did they were geeks 4 sure. I also think the 80s were more advanced era than you have described here - the 50s and 80s are not even comparable. We got Color tvs, VCRs, microwaves, home computers with modems, wireless phones,  CDs... many of the things we use today were invented during the 80s.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/19/06 at 2:52 am

I don't where you have lived but I had a computer and so did most of my friends. Were we geeks? I don't think so...but we were a bit younger. People who were born in the 60s didn't have computers at the time or if they did they were geeks 4 sure. I also think the 80s were more advanced era than you have described here - the 50s and 80s are not even comparable. We got Color tvs, VCRs, microwaves, home computers with modems, wireless phones,  CDs... many of the things we use today were invented during the 80s.

That's true, most of the tech of today would not be out of thought in the '80s.  CDs overtook vinyl in 1988, and cassettes in 1991/92, and black and white TV was pretty much obsolete. 

But the '80s is certainly far less tech than the late '90s and beyond, like closer to the '60s than 1997 up.

Written By: Banks on 01/19/06 at 6:20 am

As far as technology goes...1985 is pretty close to today, with a few exceptions. Today we have ipods, DVDs, MP3s, gene technology and cloning, GPS, satelite TV, CDs are the most popular format for music (back in 1985 I first heard about them and never thought Id ever own a CD player), wide screen TV, dolby digital surround sound in the home, fridges that shop for you, and numerous other things that were either only JUST being developed or had not even been thought of.

But, 1985 is pretty far removed from 1975. I mean, microwaves, and VCRs were only barely being used in the home on a wide basis. Then theres the home gaming consols. The leap of technology from 1975 to 1985 was phenominal, and then go to 1995, and its an even bigger advance, and today...Well, we already have the first prototypes of virtual reality games.

Id have to say that the 1980's, while some things would be recognisable to someone now who doesnt remember that decade, for the most part, theyd feel out of place. There was no instant information, if you wanted info on your favorite singer or movie star you had to find it in magazines and you would listen to the radio for the new material of your fav singer to be played before the album or single came out. Now, all that is available via the home computer, which was only just becoming a new 'it' thing to have, and then they were only used for games and typing on.

Comparing the changes from the 1950's to 1980's and the 1980's to the 2000's (or naughties) does not make sense. The 1950's was almost another dimension when compared to the 1980's. There were a few little things that remained the same, but even the social fabric changed from the 50s to the 80s. From the 80's to the 2000's, the social fabric has changed slightly, but not enough to say that its unrecognisable.

The 1980's was a different era, but not as different as the 1970's was compared to now.

AN

Written By: BCRichrocker on 01/19/06 at 10:40 am

I don't know where you have lived but I had a computer and so did most of my friends. Were we geeks? I don't think so...but we were a bit younger. People who were born in the 60s didn't have computers at the time or if they did they were geeks 4 sure. I also think the 80s were more advanced era than you have described here - the 50s and 80s are not even comparable. We got Color tvs, VCRs, microwaves, home computers with modems, wireless phones,  CDs... many of the things we use today were invented during the 80s.

I think the guy is only around 15 and was born in 1990. He never lived in the 80s and really has no clue how it was (just as I would not about the 60s bring born in 1970) besides what he has heard or read (or watched on TV). No offence to the kid but that is the truth. I have a 15 year old son myself born in 1990 and he has no clue about the 80s either. He even calls me a "hippie" (my hair isn't long anymore, BTW) not realizing that that was my Parents generation (late 60s, early 70s). ;)

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/19/06 at 2:02 pm

^ Hey man, I know we'll probably never agree on these subjects (probably due in part to our own individual backgrounds/experiences -- which appear to have been different), so it would be pointless to try and change your thinking. Only I'll say that I disagree.

Yeah there's a certain "authenticity" to "being there" when things happened. but you don't need to be just to be knowledgeable on a certain subject.

Donnie was born in 90 and knows a good deal about the 80's, right? Well, that's not too different to me being born in 1981 and talking about the 70's. I know a fair amount from then. Even as a kid I never thought of them as "before my time" (the 60's were, but not before my easy comprehension).

As a comparison, I recall in about 6th grade, there was a history question in class that mentioned the 70's. It totally shocked me 'cause even though I didn't live them, it still seemed semi recent to me. I think I said something like, "How can the 70's be history in the context something like the Old West is? C'mon, 1979 was only fifteen years back. The Jerk came out that year!"

Now, did I experience the 70's or have as much firsthand knowledge on them, the way someone born in 1959 would? Definitely not, and I'd never try to claim that (either then or now). But I know enough about it -- and I also like a number of the movies, music and overall feel from the era (even though it was before I was born - imagine that!) -- to give someone who wasn't familiar with it, an accurate portrayal.

Was it the consistant watching of Unsolved Mysteries? Was it my frequently listening to classic rock stations? Reading books? Absorbing information I heard?

Probably all of the above. It's not impossible. Not everyone is "stupid" on the times from before they were 10 or 12 years old (okay, maybe SOME people are, LOL, but it's not accurate -- or fair -- to slap that label on everyone).

Written By: Haman on 01/19/06 at 2:38 pm

It appears to me that the most visible trait of the modern age is how fast everything changes.

The different decades of the past century had what possibly may be considered as definitory singularities.

In that sense, I believe we could say that the eighties were an era by themselves, just like the twenties, fifties, sixties, seventies...

Written By: bbigd04 on 01/19/06 at 2:40 pm

It's true that 80s tech is hugely advanced from that of the '50s.  Yes, the '80s had computers, cell phones, and even the Internet in primitive form, but NOBODY EXCEPT GEEKS used them.  However, the tech of the '90s wasn't much more advanced than that of the '80s until maybe about 1995 or '96 (even the Internet pre-'97 was old school compared to now and not nearly as common).   Also, 1980 is much, much closer in mindset to 2005 than even to 1960.  And 1955 is closer in mindset (although not tech) to 1706 than 2006.

I think that a number of people did have computers especially in the late '80s, not everybody like today but there weren't just confined to geeks. The BBS services which was what there was before the web was probably more of a "geek" thing. Same thing with cell phones, in the late '80s they were definitely present from what I've seen, a lot of businessmen and people that needed one had a cell phone or a car phone.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/19/06 at 2:56 pm

It appears to me that the most visible trait of the modern age is how fast everything changes.

The different decades of the past century had what possibly may be considered as definitory singularities.

In that sense, I believe we could say that the eighties were an era by themselves, just like the twenties, fifties, sixties, seventies...

Except that the '90s and '00s are two halves of one era.  Actually, the '60s and '70s are too, along with the whole 1946-1963 era.

Written By: BCRichrocker on 01/19/06 at 10:13 pm

^ Hey man, I know we'll probably never agree on these subjects (probably due in part to our own individual backgrounds/experiences -- which appear to have been different), so it would be pointless to try and change your thinking. Only I'll say that I disagree.

Yeah there's a certain "authenticity" to "being there" when things happened. but you don't need to be just to be knowledgeable on a certain subject.

Donnie was born in 90 and knows a good deal about the 80's, right? Well, that's not too different to me being born in 1981 and talking about the 70's. I know a fair amount from then. Even as a kid I never thought of them as "before my time" (the 60's were, but not before my easy comprehension).

As a comparison, I recall in about 6th grade, there was a history question in class that mentioned the 70's. It totally shocked me 'cause even though I didn't live them, it still seemed semi recent to me. I think I said something like, "How can the 70's be history in the context something like the Old West is? C'mon, 1979 was only fifteen years back. The Jerk came out that year!"

Now, did I experience the 70's or have as much firsthand knowledge on them, the way someone born in 1959 would? Definitely not, and I'd never try to claim that (either then or now). But I know enough about it -- and I also like a number of the movies, music and overall feel from the era (even though it was before I was born - imagine that!) -- to give someone who wasn't familiar with it, an accurate portrayal.

Was it the consistant watching of Unsolved Mysteries? Was it my frequently listening to classic rock stations? Reading books? Absorbing information I heard?

Probably all of the above. It's not impossible. Not everyone is "stupid" on the times from before they were 10 or 12 years old (okay, maybe SOME people are, LOL, but it's not accurate -- or fair -- to slap that label on everyone).

I give up.... ::)

Written By: Banks on 01/20/06 at 4:12 am

I have to say that I agree with Marty McFly...I was born in 1972...And while I dont claim in any way to be extremely knowledgable on the 1960's, I do know enough about them to explain to someone who wanted to know about that era what it was like. Of course, I only know from documentaries and films such as Woodstock, other concert films, the music, and from what Ive read. Its not as good as having lived it, but it is enough.

As far as the 70's go...I was 7 in 1979. I dont remember a hell of a lot about the events (I do have vivid memories of the NYC blackout in '77 cause I saw it on TV), but I have vivid memories of what I did back then, of the the music I heard, movies I watched, what I owned and wore.

But, as far as the 80's and computers go...There definately were computers, and not only geeks had them. My Mum had one she used as a type writer and we had a lot of games on them, and that was from 1987 on wards. Also, in 1983 my school got about 15 computers and created a computer room. We were taught how to make rudimentary programs to run maths games etc. I also remember playing an old Star Wars game on the school computers where you flew into the Death Star. The graphics sucked (lines on a screen), but it was a game. Before 1983 (I think around 1981) I got a Phillips Video Pack. This was a game consol that had cartridges for games, and a limited memory space for typing on. It was a typewriter with a compartment for game playing. You plugged it into your TV. You could 'link up', or what we today would call network, up to four computers in your house, so long as you had four TVs, and play games against each other, or send each other messages via the typing module.

Oh, and BTW, I was NO geek.

AN

Written By: PatBateman on 01/20/06 at 4:59 am

I think the guy is only around 15 and was born in 1990. He never lived in the 80s and really has no clue how it was (just as I would not about the 60s bring born in 1970) besides what he has heard or read (or watched on TV). No offence to the kid but that is the truth. I have a 15 year old son myself born in 1990 and he has no clue about the 80s either. He even calls me a "hippie" (my hair isn't long anymore, BTW) not realizing that that was my Parents generation (late 60s, early 70s). ;)

hmmm...one more thing. If U mean me as a 15 years old dude you are totally wrong. I was born in '76 and I really belong to the children of the 80's category.

Written By: BCRichrocker on 01/20/06 at 9:48 am

hmmm...one more thing. If U mean me as a 15 years old dude you are totally wrong. I was born in '76 and I really belong to the children of the 80's category.

HUH????

Read the context of my post. I was clearly talking about "Donnie Darko" the person who started this thread. I was simply reinforcing your response to what he posted.

Written By: Class of 84 on 01/20/06 at 11:52 pm

[quote author=whis

Check for new replies or respond here...