inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Long Distance in the '80s

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/19/06 at 3:06 pm

During the '80s, could you call anyone in the world with a phone number or were there cases where you could only mail/telegraph people in distant lands?

Subject: Re: Long Distance in the '80s

Written By: bbigd04 on 01/19/06 at 3:11 pm

During the '80s, could you call anyone in the world with a phone number or were there cases where you could only mail/telegraph people in distant lands?

I'm pretty sure that you could call pretty much anywhere like today, except it probably cost more than today. Long distance was quite expensive then I believe.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/19/06 at 3:12 pm

I'm pretty sure that you could call pretty much anywhere like today, except it probably cost more than today. Long distance was quite expensive then I believe.

I think it was monopolized or something until the early '80s.

Written By: bbigd04 on 01/19/06 at 3:13 pm

I think it was monopolized or something until the early '80s.

Yeah everything was AT&T till like 1984 when the government broke it up into the "baby bells"

Written By: whistledog on 01/19/06 at 3:14 pm

Long distance calling has changed alot since the 80's.  Back in the 80's, places that were long distance to call, no longer are

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/19/06 at 3:15 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: TheRemf on 01/19/06 at 3:50 pm

I know you could call direct - although very expensive - to western Europe (including Finland), the Philippines, Japan, New Zealand, Australia and Latin America.  I also know for a fact you could not call numbers in Warsaw Pact countries.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/19/06 at 4:15 pm

I know you could call direct - although very expensive - to western Europe (including Finland), the Philippines, Japan, New Zealand, Australia and Latin America.  I also know for a fact you could not call numbers in Warsaw Pact countries.

So, prior to 1990/'91 or so, you might as well of used the Pony Express to talk to Russia?

Written By: Skippy on 01/19/06 at 9:09 pm

Dude, do a little research. Satellite telecommunications have been used since the 60's. Even before that transcontinental land lines ran across the oceans, which I believe were laid in the 20's or 30's.
Leaders of governments have been communicating since long before the 80's.  ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...