inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What age range is your typical '80s person now?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/22/06 at 12:20 am

I think the typical '80s person in born in like 1971, so now they're 35.  That ain't too bad.

Of course, anyone born from 1958 to 1983 could claim to be a "Child of the '80s" in some way, so that's like age 22 to 47.

Subject: Re: What age range is your typical '80s person now?

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/22/06 at 12:39 am

I always considered 1966-71 (maybe '72 and '73 as well) people to be prime 80's teens. That's the Brat Pack crowd that would've been in high school during 1984, when the 80's were electric.

The "Fast Times at Ridgemont High-ers" are very early 80's teens, who likely are young enough to have a deep love for the 80's, although they're probably very slightly more influenced by the 70's (and could pass as late 70's teenagers too). This is people born, like 1962-64. I'd put the cutoff around 1957. Many of them were probably fans the earlier part of the decade.

On the other end of the rope, I would consider someone born around '77 to be an 80's and a 90's person equally. DJ from Full House is a perfect example - although a fictional character, she's very "80s". I could easily envision off camera, at age 17 in 1994, she probably still listened to her George Michael and Bon Jovi tapes in private. ;D

Of course I have to throw myself in there too ('81). ;) Hell, even a VERY early developed 1984-er could be an 80's person. Admittedly, only as a little kid, but they're old enough to know 1988 and '89 to an extent and maybe have played a couple NES games.

But, if I were to pick ONE year that defined an 80's person, maybe 1968. They'd be 37-38 now. Of course that's far from "old" but it's still scary. They seem so young to me.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/22/06 at 12:44 am

I always considered 1966-71 (maybe '72 and '73 as well) people to be prime 80's teens. That's the Brat Pack crowd that would've been in high school during 1984, when the 80's were electric.

The "Fast Times at Ridgemont High-ers" are very early 80's teens, who likely are young enough to have a deep love for the 80's, although they're probably very slightly more influenced by the 70's (and could pass as late 70's teenagers too). This is people born, like 1962-64.

If you want to go earlier, I'd put the cutoff around 1957. They'd be 23 in 1980 and 32 in 1989. Most likely they'd be fans of stuff in the earlier part of the decade.

On the other end of the rope, I would consider someone born around '77 to be an 80's and a 90's person equally. DJ from Full House was about this old, and although a fictional character, she's very "80s" (just not the way someone born five years earlier would be).

Of course I have to throw myself in there too ('81). ;) Hell, even a VERY early developed 1984-er could be an 80's person. Admittedly, only as a little kid, but they're old enough to know 1988 and '89 to an extent and maybe have played a couple NES games.

1957 to 1984. This year that'd make them 21-48 (with their birthdays upping it one).

Well written.  The real '80s teen are really getting up there in age, they're not old certainly but they're close to over the hill.

As for DJ and Full House, I agree about DJ.  She was born in '76 or '77, and was quite '80s, but if remember she did cross into '90s stuff later, so she was both.  In fact, Full House, while again fictional demonstrates how Stephanie and DJ (born '76-'77 and '81-'82, respectively) are certainly Gen Xers while Michelle is Gen Y (born 1986).

In my opinion, since Michelle could hypothetically be listening to NSYNC in 1998 or Emo music in 2004, she's certainly Gen Y.  You might even define a Yer as one who can not truly remember the '80s, as the '90s, while belonging to Gen X, is a strong influence to all of Gen Y which is partly why they're still a cool decade today.

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/22/06 at 12:54 am

^True. I noticed something long ago about sitcoms and movies, especially those aimed at a younger crowd -- they'll never talk about something more than two or three years earlier.

In other words, they're always up to date, and I'm sure this is (from a writer's POV) done to make them "cool" to people watching. For the "storyline" though, we could assume they still were into older stuff, but didn't talk about it when the show was "on", and pretended to make fun of it around their friends. ;D

DJ was very much a "want to be cool around the in crowd" type, so I could see her dissing some of her own favorite 80's stuff in '93, to get the attention of, say a cute guy in her class. Although when she went home, she'd listen to Thriller. LOL.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/22/06 at 1:18 am

^True. I noticed something long ago about sitcoms and movies, especially those aimed at a younger crowd -- they'll never talk about something more than two or three years earlier.

In other words, they're always up to date, and I'm sure this is (from a writer's POV) done to make them "cool" to people watching. For the "storyline" though, we could assume they still were into older stuff, but didn't talk about it when the show was "on", and pretended to make fun of it around their friends. ;D

DJ was very much a "want to be cool around the in crowd" type, so I could see her dissing some of her own favorite 80's stuff in '93, to get the attention of, say a cute guy in her class. Although when she went home, she'd listen to Thriller. LOL.

In a 1992 episode, Steph did the Moonwalk, and she said "It's not the '80s anymore".

Do you notice how in film from 1990 and 1991 it's more "It's the '90s now" whereas 1992 onward is "It's not the '80s anymore"?  I kind of think the dislike of the '80s in 1990 and 1991 was sort of an '80s thing in itself, as something from the early '80s would be dated in the late '80s.  Saying "That's so 1988" in 1990 would be kind of like saying "That's so 1984" in 1988.  Whereas by 1992, people were simply disgusted by the '80s and would have nothing to do with them intentionally.

Written By: bbigd04 on 01/22/06 at 1:20 am

I would say late '60s and early '70s. Though my parents even though they were in their 30s throughout the '80s are quite fond of them, mainly the early '80s though.

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/22/06 at 1:28 am

In a 1992 episode, Steph did the Moonwalk, and she said "It's not the '80s anymore".

I remember that one. ;)

Heck, you could almost argue that DJ was more "anti 80s" than Steph. She was still only, what, 10 years old, so it's not like she'd be under tremendous pressure to leave the 80's behind to be cool.

In fact, that might be why people my age (born 1981 and 82) seem to actually, now that I think about it, be a little MORE "80s friendly" than someone born around 78-79, who was just going into high school when grunge peaked. We were still kids in 1992, so we could afford to still like old stuff more than someone who was 14 or 15.

Do you notice how in film from 1990 and 1991 it's more "It's the '90s now" whereas 1992 onward is "It's not the '80s anymore"?  I kind of think the dislike of the '80s in 1990 and 1991 was sort of an '80s thing in itself, as something from the early '80s would be dated in the late '80s.  Saying "That's so 1988" in 1990 would be kind of like saying "That's so 1984" in 1988.  Whereas by 1992, people were simply disgusted by the '80s and would have nothing to do with them intentionally.

I'd agree with this too. I think even by as early as '87, some people were getting tired of the 80's.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/22/06 at 1:38 am

I remember that one. ;)

Heck, you could almost argue that DJ was more "anti 80s" than Steph. She was still only, what, 10 years old, so it's not like she'd be under tremendous pressure to leave the 80's behind to be cool.

In fact, that might be why people my age (born 1981 and 82) seem to actually, now that I think about it, be a little MORE "80s friendly" than someone born around 78-79, who was just going into high school when grunge peaked. We were still kids in 1992, so we could afford to still like old stuff more than someone who was 14 or 15.

I'd agree with this too. I think even by as early as '87, some people were getting tired of the 80's.

Although I don't hate the '80s of course, I understand why someone would get sick of them.  Reagan, a lot of superficial people, some awful fashion (although I actually like a lot of '80s fashion, like the girl's haircuts and stuff.  You know, the more casual stuff from then looks as good as stuff from the '90s/present.  And I'd take a Mullet over a nose piercing!)

Alternately, I can understand why nobody hates the '90s: they were so individualistic.  The '80s were kind of a common experience, whereas there were like 3 or 4 '90s you could have lived.

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/22/06 at 1:45 am

^ Good point. Musical styles in the 90's - as with movies - didn't really "mesh" all the time. It was like tons of different things all getting exposure. Today is even more "do it yourself" oriented, if that makes sense.

Maybe that's why the 90's haven't been backlashed. It was easy to dismiss something as "sooo 80's" in 1993, but there's simply too much 90's stuff to target directly.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/22/06 at 1:47 am

^ Good point. Musical styles in the 90's - as with movies - didn't really "mesh" all the time. It was like tons of different things all getting exposure. Today is even more "do it yourself" oriented, if that makes sense.

Actually, I disagree there, for once.  I think the '90s were more individualistic than today.  In the '90s, you'd be a weirdo (although within a clique) to be cool.  In the '00s, you listen to Rap to be cool, or you join a subculture.  Basically, the '90s had no main culture, and the '00s has a main culture (rap) that some people are a part of and others aren't.

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/22/06 at 1:50 am

Actually, I disagree there, for once.  I think the '90s were more individualistic than today.  In the '90s, you'd be a weirdo (although within a clique) to be cool.  In the '00s, you listen to Rap to be cool, or you join a subculture.  Basically, the '90s had no main culture, and the '00s has a main culture (rap) that some people are a part of and others aren't.

True, I never thought about it that way before. "Bling Bling" rap (today's cool stuff) is more a mainstream offshoot of 90's rap, so I guess you could argue that today is almost a 90's with a centralized culture.

On the other hand, Indie stuff is also more optionable and popular than it was in the 90's.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/22/06 at 1:53 am

True, I never thought about it that way before. "Bling Bling" rap (today's cool stuff) is more a mainstream offshoot of 90's rap, so I guess you could argue that today is almost a 90's with a centralized culture.

On the other hand, Indie stuff is also more optionable and popular than it was in the 90's.

Yeah, I'd compare the Bling rap's relation to Gangsta rap to hair metal's relation to Classic Rock.  Today's rap is more mainstream, safer, and with less substance than early '90s gangsta rap, just like hair metal was safer than rock and roll. 

Today seems like a "New Nineties" really, it just picked and choosed parts of the '90s, added a few unique things and some bits of the '80s and made a decade out of it.

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/22/06 at 1:56 am

Yeah, I'd compare the Bling rap's relation to Gangsta rap to hair metal's relation to Classic Rock.  Today's rap is more mainstream, safer, and with less substance than early '90s gangsta rap, just like hair metal was safer than rock and roll. 

Today seems like a "New Nineties" really, it just picked and choosed parts of the '90s, added a few unique things and some bits of the '80s and made a decade out of it.

Hair metal was a little heavier than rock & roll, but condusive to each respective time period I think you're right. More people were freaked out by Elvis in 1957 than by Bon Jovi in 1987. ;D

On the second point, I wonder how someone from 1992 would react to mid 00's pop culture. If they were into rap, they'd probably be either pleased or annoyed by the fact that it was so popular, and trickled into mainstream culture.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/22/06 at 1:58 am

Hair metal was a little heavier than rock & roll, but condusive to each respective time period I think you're right. More people were freaked out by Elvis in 1957 than by Bon Jovi in 1987. ;D

On the second point, I wonder how someone from 1992 would react to mid 00's pop culture. If they were into rap, they'd probably be either pleased or annoyed by the fact that it was so popular, and trickled into mainstream culture.

I think someone from 1992 would have like a 50% chance of loving the '00s and a 50% chance of hating them.  On one hand, they'd probably hate the teen pop and emo, but they may be pleased to find that some of the bands they liked in 1992 are still well-liked now, and also they'd be happy to hear Grunge-type rock (even if it's technically not Grunge) and they may or may not like new rap.

Written By: whistledog on 01/22/06 at 2:11 am

Depends on what type pf person ...

A teen in the 80's would be born in the late 60's, early 70's
A child of the 80's (like me) would be born in the latter 70's, maybe early 80's, but as I've always heard it, if you were born in the 80's, that makes you a child of the 90's. 

Written By: Davester on 01/22/06 at 5:16 am

DonnieDarko, you ask the best questions.  Keep grooving...

I want to direct you to this interesting Wikipedia article dealing with the subject of cultural identity and "Generation X" questions.  This article also seems to be in dispute, but it gives you an idea of the complexity of this topic...

I've had too much smoke & many beers...

Written By: Banks on 01/22/06 at 5:31 am

Well, I was born in 1972 and I turn 34 this May. I turned 15 in 1987

As far as styles go...Rap originated in the mid to late 1970's and was HUGE in the early 80's. Pretty much the same as it is today. It was what I call bubble-gum rap. The late 80's early 90's featured groups like Snap and 2 Unlimited Posse, and people like Neneh Cherry. While their hit singles were basically about dancing and relationships, some of their album cuts were pretty hard hitting, although most rap artists were typically single sellers and not Lp sellers back then.

As far as liking music and culture...Well, I like all music so long as its good. Admittedly I havnt bought muuch 00's music, maybe 7 or 8 singles per year until 2005/early 2006.  Last year I bought around 20 singles, and this year Ive bought 5 already. Black Eyed Peas, Gwen Stephani, Pussycat Dolls, Nickleback, Bon Jovi and Ricki Lee Coulter's Sunshine (yes even an Aussie Idol contestant) have been big on my list...and of course Madonna's new song has caught my attention.

Through out the 1990's, however, I went off mainstream music. I prefered album tracks of Guns N Roses, Skid Row, Nirvana, Bon Jovi and Metallica, although I did buy a few albums and singles from the 1990's. In fact, until 2005, I had the strong belief that music was going down hill.

As far as the culture and fashion....I dont get the 'hipsters' or what ever theyre called that show off peoples under wear (both guys and girls). And I also dont like it when girls of 13 and 14 wear these things or wear skirts that look like tea towels draped about their waist. I even saw one young girl wearing a see through swimming top at the beach today. I was embarrassed for her.

TV is definately looking up. The 90's had some good shows, but the majority of the shows seemed to be one or two season wonders. Now we have The Collector, Dead Like Me and Jeramiah among others. The Brits had some awsome TV in the 90's...AbFab, Keeping Up Apearances, Mr. Bean and the like. Personally, though, I prefer the diversity of 70's TV shows and the 'grittiness' they seemed to bleed. It seems TV is getting back to that 'grittiness' and using it in different ways, which is a good thing.

Movies, well, theyve just been getting better and better as of 1972 with the release of The Godfather right up to now and the current fantasy genre.

Now, personally, I prefer NOW to the 90's, but prefer the 80's to now, and prefer the 70's to the 80's. To me it seemed that things began moving too fast in the 90's, and this 'speed' didnt slow until the events of 2001. Now it seems time has slowed down a bit and people are looking at living instead of existing to work. I think the fashion, movies and music of the 00's reflects this.

I really dislike the 90's, even though two of the most awsome things happened to me in that decade, I met my partner and my daughter was born. Apart from that, the 90's sucked for me personally and culturally. I loved the 80's, especially the early to mid 80's, but as I grew older the 1970's music, movies, TV, fashion, events and simply style seem to grab my attention more than the 80's, though I do still love the 80's as well.

Dont know if that made sense to anyone. Its kind of jumbled, but I know what I mean, and thats definately a sign of sanity...Or is that more a sign of insanity and my mental seperation from reality???

Ill leave that up to you. ;)

AN

Written By: witchain on 01/22/06 at 7:31 am

I was born in '71, but spent most of the eighties in Europe which was completely different.
When I came back it was almost the nineties, so what does that make me?  8)

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 01/22/06 at 10:44 am

I agree with Marty that the most typical 80s teenager was born in 1968, graduating high school in 1986.

Boy you guys really LOVE these kind of topics (about generations, decades, individual years and styles) don't you? 

But I obviously like them too, because I keep throwing my 2 cents in all the time when you guys have discussions like this!   ;) 

Written By: Bratpac on 01/22/06 at 12:07 pm

I'm one of those 80's teens, born in 71 and proud of it!  I was a preteen early 80's and spent my teen years all through the 80's.  The 80's were kind of general however, there were different fashions going on too at the same time. (relitivly speeking) You had the preppy look with the alegater insignias, sweeters drapped over the shoulders, the madonna look, miami vice look, parechutt pants, and such.  The music was the same way you had pop, hair metal, rap, heavy metal,@ new wave.  Yes they were popular at different times but they did seem to mingle.  I liked all of it but I liked the late 70's and the early 80's better and I do find myself gravitating more to that time frame musically. And yes I look around and think to myself I'm going to be 35 and my nieghbor will be 40.  Luke Perry is going to be 41 and the Bract Pack set are now in their 40's.  It just doesn't seem possible.  Just a little tid bit, my friend Vi graduated with Luke Perry in 83 from Fredericktown High School and she says he was a mager class clown.  I put that in because I read somewhere on this board about a Rick springfield story so i put a Luke Perry one in.  I was in junoir high so I never got to meet him in person.  My husband by the way was born in 67 and graduated in 85 I graduated in 90 because I was held back one year.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/22/06 at 1:39 pm

DonnieDarko, you ask the best questions.  Keep grooving...

I want to direct you to this interesting Wikipedia article dealing with the subject of cultural identity and "Generation X" questions.  This article also seems to be in dispute, but it gives you an idea of the complexity of this topic...

I've had too much smoke & many beers...

Actually, I've written some of that article.  Check 1980s, 1990s, 2000s, and Generation Y pages too, some of all those are mine.

Written By: BCRichrocker on 01/22/06 at 3:14 pm

Alternately, I can understand why nobody hates the '90s: they were so individualistic.  The '80s were kind of a common experience, whereas there were like 3 or 4 '90s you could have lived.

I disagree vehemently again. The 80s were all about individuality and I feel so very sorry for the 90s children that didn't experience that.

For example, in the 80s you could gravitate towards a multitude of styles and genres and still be an individual. You vould have been a New Waver, a Ska, a Mod, a Metalhead, a schoolboy, a peace punker, a suicidal punker, a goth, etc. Each group had it's own individual style, music and sub-culture. Shall I go on??

Conversley, in the 90s, you had a virtual melting pot of styles that brought about only a very few popular genres. Most every guy wore baggy pants and almost every girl wore 70s style "hippie" clothing and had no bangs and flat limp hair ala Marcia Brady.
Hip hop music seemed to move from mainly a majority of minority cultured listeners to almost any kid from any cultural backround. In essence, while there were always exceptions as in any decade, most teenage "kids" (yes, kids) looked very similiar.

This is one reason why there is no replacement for actually having experienced an era than to just read or study it. While I have a great respect for medieval-era historians of modern times, I would wager much that if an actual person who was alive from that time period could come to our time they could teach and correct many many things that historian looks upon as fact.

Oh yeah, I am one of those "aged" 80s teenagers having had a birth year of 1970, BTW. And I agree with most everyone's assesment of age range of a typical "80s" person. Early 30s to late 30s, give or take a few years on either end of the spectrum..

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/22/06 at 3:59 pm

I disagree vehemently again. The 80s were all about individuality and I feel so very sorry for the 90s children that didn't experience that.

For example, in the 80s you could gravitate towards a multitude of styles and genres and still be an individual. You vould have been a New Waver, a Ska, a Mod, a Metalhead, a schoolboy, a peace punker, a suicidal punker, a goth, etc. Each group had it's own individual style, music and sub-culture. Shall I go on??

Conversley, in the 90s, you had a virtual melting pot of styles that brought about only a very few popular genres. Most every guy wore baggy pants and almost every girl wore 70s style "hippie" clothing and had no bangs and flat limp hair ala Marcia Brady.
Hip hop music seemed to move from mainly a majority of minority cultured listeners to almost any kid from any cultural backround. In essence, while there were always exceptions as in any decade, most teenage "kids" (yes, kids) looked very similiar.

This is one reason why there is no replacement for actually having experienced an era than to just read or study it. While I have a great respect for medieval-era historians of modern times, I would wager much that if an actual person who was alive from that time period could come to our time they could teach and correct many many things that historian looks upon as fact.

Oh yeah, I am one of those "aged" 80s teenagers having had a birth year of 1970, BTW. And I agree with most everyone's assesment of age range of a typical "80s" person. Early 30s to late 30s, give or take a few years on either end of the spectrum..

Sorry if I insulted you. 

You know, you make some good points.  I don't the '90s was purely about hip hop though, the culture was indeed prevalent but when I think of the '90s rap is only one of the things Ithink of.    You're right about style in the '90s, you couldn't wear anything outrageous,  but in the '80s it seemed like people hopped from trend to trend, trying to "fit in".  Indeed, you had subcultures though, but if there's 50 people in your school in that subculture are you really an individual? 

During the '90s, the subcultures remained, but you're correct: they were a very "normal" sort of time.  Which is actually what I meant by "individualistic", in the '90s, everyone did their own thing, so there wasn't really a style. During the '80s, you'd do what your clique did, during the '90s, it was cool to act and look like everyone else but it was also cool to have your own special interest in fashion, music, movies, etc., which made it seem quite "cultureless".  In the '90s (moreso the late '90s), everyone looked as plain as possible, but tended to not streamline to one particular taste.  It seemed like in the '90s it was cool to be "yourself", but to look and act like everyone else.  In the '80s, it was cool to look different, but to like the same things other people in your clique liked.  The '00s are somewhere in between.

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 01/22/06 at 4:10 pm

Actually, I've written some of that article.  Check 1980s, 1990s, 2000s, and Generation Y pages too, some of all those are mine.

I am not familiar with how Wikipedia works.  How did you get to write articles on their site?  Is it like IMDB.com, in that anyone can submit what they want? 

No offense Donnie, but I don't think someone born in 1990 should be able to write what Generation X is about, anymore then someone born in 1968 should write about what the Baby Boomers were about.  You have many excellent and insightful things to say, sometimes I am amazed at how you are able to get a hold of how things were by merely watching TV shows and movies.  You generally form a rather good conjecture of how things were in the 80s and 90s, (you do get as many things wrong as you do right though) but I think that you simply do not have the authority to write about the feelings and thoughts of other generations on a site like Wikipedia, and post them as "fact".       

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/22/06 at 4:13 pm

I am not familiar with how Wikipedia works.  How did you get to write articles on their site?  Is it like IMDB.com, in that anyone can submit what they want? 

No offense Donnie, but I don't think someone born in 1990 should be able to write what Generation X is about, anymore then someone born in 1968 should write about what the Baby Boomers were about.  You have many excellent and insightful things to say, sometimes I am amazed at how you are able to get a hold of how things were by merely watching TV shows and movies.  You generally form a rather good conjecture of how things were in the 80s and 90s, (you do get as many things wrong as you do right though) but I think that you simply do not have the authority to write about the feelings and thoughts of other generations on a site like Wikipedia, and post them as "fact".       

Yup.  You go to the article, click "Edit This Page" and you can write anything.  If you vandalize or put incorrect stuff, you will we corrected. 
I understand.  I'll stick to editing Gen Y. 1990 is Y not Z, right?  I think it is Y by pretty much all definitions, although 1988 is probably the very core of Gen Y.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/22/06 at 7:13 pm

The Wikipedia article was very interesting. I would say the age range would be somewhere from mid late 60's to early 70's, or 1964-1975, roughly.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/22/06 at 7:41 pm

The Wikipedia article was very intersing. I would say the age range would be somewhere from mid late 60's to early 70's, or 1964-1975, roughly.

You would call a '76er a Gen Y?  You'd say someone who graduated in 1994 has more in common with an Emo kid than with a Brat Packer?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/22/06 at 7:48 pm

Pretty much....

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/22/06 at 7:49 pm

Pretty much....

Aren't you a 76er?  Do you consider yourself a Y?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/22/06 at 7:53 pm

Aren't you a 76er?  Do you consider yourself a Y?

Since I was a teenager and was in high school during the 90's, I would consider myself more Generation Y than X.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/22/06 at 8:01 pm

Since I was a teenager and was in high school during the 90's, I would consider myself more Generation Y than X.

Isn't the '90s considered Gen X though, even if it resembles today more than it does the '80s?  Or is that more young adults in the '90s, who were more influential on pop culture then?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/22/06 at 8:04 pm

Isn't the '90s considered Gen X though, even if it resembles today more than it does the '80s?   Or is that more young adults in the '90s, who were more influential on pop culture then?

You're asking the wrong person.  ;D  I suppose 1964-1976 would be the defined era for Generation X, it really depends on who you ask.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/22/06 at 8:06 pm

You're asking the wrong person.  ;D  I suppose 1964-1976 would be the defined era for Generation X, it really depends on who you ask.

Chris Megatron would be the right person to ask, but I'd probably annoy him by doing so  ;D

Written By: bbigd04 on 01/22/06 at 8:08 pm

Isn't the '90s considered Gen X though, even if it resembles today more than it does the '80s?   Or is that more young adults in the '90s, who were more influential on pop culture then?

It's parts of both, the '80s is more the typical gen x, the '90s doesn't have the same kind of identity. It's hard to really define what the '90s were, they're not really gen x nor are they really gen y (except for the end of the '90s).

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/22/06 at 8:10 pm

Chris Megatron would be the right person to ask, but I'd probably annoy him by doing so  ;D

You're probally right.  ;D

I guess I really consider myself a combo of Gen X and Y, if that makes any sense.

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 01/22/06 at 8:25 pm

Ha!  No, not yet.   ;)

Born in 1975, I consider myself Gen X, not the same kind of Gen X as the frontline 40 year olds born in 1965, but I consider myself to be part of the ship that sails under "Generation X".

I think I know why Jamie says he is a Gen Yer.  Even though Jaime is only 1 year younger then me, he may not feel a part of Gen X for the same reason I said (in the 90s forum) that at times I felt too young for the 80s and a bit too old for the 90s (regarding teenage life mind you). 

If the frontline of Gen X gets all the press and talks about their issues about graduating high school in the 80s and then being a 20 something with a college degree but nevertheless having a "McJob" during the economic recession of 1992,....well a mid 70s born Gen Xer may feel misplaced, not being able to relate to all of what they are talking about.  I understand that, but I still think of myself as Gen X.  There's no way that I am part of the same generation of anyone born beyond the early 80s.  The Olsen Twins and I as the same generation?  Give me a break.  We are certainly not a full genertation apart with a decade separating us, but what we grew up with was quite different.  

I don't mind being part of the tail end of Gen X, whether it ends with us '75ers or if it ends with '81ers, I'd still be towards the end of the generation.  And I don't mind that.   :)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/22/06 at 8:33 pm

What Chris said.  ;D

I like the 80's alot, in fact it's my favorite decade. However, I was around (not born around the 50's or 60's) to experince the 70's (thank god!  ;D), and was four years old when the 80's started and thirteen by the time the 80's ended.

So because I experineced the 90's abit more, I consider myself a Gen Y.

Whewwwwww!  ;D

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 01/22/06 at 8:39 pm

^Jamie, I don't understand you and your crazy generation!  You guys and your loud music, and that silly way of dressing! 

I hate these no good young punks that are a year younger then me!  I don't understand them.  Stupid 29 year olds.   

:D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/22/06 at 8:42 pm

Don't pin it on me.... man!  I am not a big fan of loud music, and don't dress crazy!

There are people who younger than me, in the department in the store where I work, who act like young punks!  ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/22/06 at 9:10 pm

Ha!  No, not yet.   ;)

Born in 1975, I consider myself Gen X, not the same kind of Gen X as the frontline 40 year olds born in 1965, but I consider myself to be part of the ship that sails under "Generation X".

I think I know why Jamie says he is a Gen Yer.  Even though Jaime is only 1 year younger then me, he may not feel a part of Gen X for the same reason I said (in the 90s forum) that at times I felt too young for the 80s and a bit too old for the 90s (regarding teenage life mind you). 

If the frontline of Gen X gets all the press and talks about their issues about graduating high school in the 80s and then being a 20 something with a college degree but nevertheless having a "McJob" during the economic recession of 1992,....well a mid 70s born Gen Xer may feel misplaced, not being able to relate to all of what they are talking about.  I understand that, but I still think of myself as Gen X.  There's no way that I am part of the same generation of anyone born beyond the early 80s.  The Olsen Twins and I as the same generation?  Give me a break.  We are certainly not a full genertation apart with a decade separating us, but what we grew up with was quite different.  

I don't mind being part of the tail end of Gen X, whether it ends with us '75ers or if it ends with '81ers, I'd still be towards the end of the generation.  And I don't mind that.   :)

I actually think that 1965-1994 is actually one big biological generation, and Gen X and Y are actually two cultural halves of it.  Basically, Gen X knew the Cold War and real 20th Century, while still having their youth into the post-Cold War era, whereas Gen Y only truly knows the '90s and present.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/22/06 at 9:11 pm

Now I am confused!  ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/22/06 at 9:12 pm

Now I am confused!  ;D

Confucious confuses me  ;D

Written By: robby76 on 01/23/06 at 10:03 am

I'm a 76'er and I believe firmly that I am a Gen X'er. I know Tanya1976 will agree too.

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 01/23/06 at 5:25 pm

^That's what I think about you guys 1 year younger then me too, but I didn't want to upset Jamie, who calls himself a Gen Yer.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/23/06 at 5:28 pm

^That's what I think about you guys 1 year younger then me too, but I didn't want to upset Jamie, who calls himself a Gen Yer.

I think late '70s people and early '80s people (1977-1984) can be numbered among either X or Y, depending on their interests.  Of anything, I'd divide at 1983, but of course since early '80s babies are still very young now (23-26) they could easily be "Y", but in the sense of liking Eminem or 50 Cent, not in the same sense as an Emo kid born in 1991.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/23/06 at 6:02 pm

I'm not upset.  :) 

Written By: Sarah1183 on 02/01/06 at 1:38 pm

I think the only thing that everyone here CAN agree on is whatever defines a Gen X, Gen Y, 80s person, whatever -- is entirely subjective.

Nobody is right, nobody is wrong. It's all down to your own personal opinion. You can argue until your face turns blue, but the bottom line is, decades are nothing but manmade timeframe. :P

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/01/06 at 1:42 pm

I think the only thing that everyone here CAN agree on is whatever defines a Gen X, Gen Y, 80s person, whatever -- is entirely subjective.

Nobody is right, nobody is wrong. It's all down to your own personal opinion. You can argue until your face turns blue, but the bottom line is, decades are nothing but manmade timeframe. :P

I suppose, but when a decade ends it's a good time to reface pop culture. In a sense, it is "created" by people even though it was originally an artificial construct.

The only exceptions are the '60s and '70s and '90s and '00s.  They seem to be each superdecades.

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/01/06 at 9:18 pm

I think late '70s people and early '80s people (1977-1984) can be numbered among either X or Y, depending on their interests.  Of anything, I'd divide at 1983, but of course since early '80s babies are still very young now (23-26) they could easily be "Y", but in the sense of liking Eminem or 50 Cent, not in the same sense as an Emo kid born in 1991.

I'll agree with that as an '81er.

I know you're knowledgeable about music, so to use that as an example, I do like Green Day, Kelly Clarkson, Killers, etc. Even with the immesnse love of the 80's and my childhood, etc. I don't have the complete opposition to 2000's music the way someone born in 1965 or 1970 might. But I'm also not into it as rabidly as a typical "born in 1992 kid" might be.

In fact at times, I've thought of myself (as well as many people born in the second half of the 70's) as somewhat of a "bridge gapper" between typical Gen X and Gen Y people.

Written By: Australian80sChild on 02/02/06 at 12:14 am

From what i can gather the _academic_ definition (such as in the Generations books) is that children of the Eighties are those people born between 1975 and 1983 - those for whom the majority (6 and more years) of their childhood were in the 1980s. Obviously a Child of the '80s is different to a Teen of the '80s.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/02/06 at 12:55 am

I'll agree with that as an '81er.

I know you're knowledgeable about music, so to use that as an example, I do like Green Day, Kelly Clarkson, Killers, etc. Even with the immesnse love of the 80's and my childhood, etc. I don't have the complete opposition to 2000's music the way someone born in 1965 or 1970 might. But I'm also not into it as rabidly as a typical "born in 1992 kid" might be.

In fact at times, I've thought of myself (as well as many people born in the second half of the 70's) as somewhat of a "bridge gapper" between typical Gen X and Gen Y people.

I am a core Gen Yer (a '90er), so yeah I don't really despise 2000s music in itself, I just despise how unoriginal/90slike most of it is.
True Gen X is mostly people born from 1965 to 1975, but people from 1976 to 1984 can claim Xerhood too.  To me, 1986 is the first year that's absolutely Y, because then you're the Olsen Twins age and would have graduated in 2004.

1995-2001 I think will be the Y/Z cusp.

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/02/06 at 1:04 am

I am a core Gen Yer (a '90er), so yeah I don't really despise 2000s music in itself, I just despise how unoriginal/90slike most of it is.
True Gen X is mostly people born from 1965 to 1975, but people from 1976 to 1984 can claim Xerhood too.  To me, 1986 is the first year that's absolutely Y, because then you're the Olsen Twins age and would have graduated in 2004.

1995-2001 I think will be the Y/Z cusp.

I think 84 and 85 are definitely Y imo, early '80s are debateable though depends on the person.

Written By: Jewel on 02/16/06 at 9:53 pm

I was born in '76 so I consider myself to belong in the X/Y generation cusp. I believer those born between 1975-1980 belong in this cusp. A person born in 1975 has strong gen X traits, but usually has some Y traits as well unlike someone born in '73 for example.

Written By: SarahJane87 on 02/17/06 at 1:59 am

This is one thing I never understood about this whole dissing music that's over five years old. I mean, you are around five years ago - so how could you suddenly not like the same music that you liked five years ago? Know what I mean?

Written By: Gis on 02/17/06 at 3:39 am

The real '80s teen are really getting up there in age, they're not old certainly but they're close to over the hill.

Now this comment I do take some offence to. I'm guessing by the fact you think people in their mid thirties are almost 'over the hill' you must be in your late teens early twenties ? well just you wait until you get to 31 or 32 and you'll realise just how young that still is !

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/17/06 at 3:46 am

Now this comment I do take some offence to. I'm guessing by the fact you think people in their mid thirties are almost 'over the hill' you must be in your late teens early twenties ? well just you wait until you get to 31 or 32 and you'll realise just how young that still is !

I'm sorry :(  I'm late teens (16).

31 and 32 is certainly young.  38-39 isn't old, especially considering that they may live past 100 if medicine improves more, but it's not exactly young either.  On the young side though :)

I would say youth is about 12-36.  37-44 is mid-life, 45-64 is middle age.  Old is 65+.

Written By: PuReAnGeL on 02/17/06 at 6:40 am

31 and 32 is certainly young.  38-39 isn't old, especially considering that they may live past 100 if medicine improves more, but it's not exactly young either.  On the young side though :)

I would say youth is about 12-36.  37-44 is mid-life, 45-64 is middle age.  Old is 65+.

Mid-life?!?  Move 37 to youth group of age please! *LOL*  ;D

Written By: BCRichrocker on 02/17/06 at 12:41 pm

Late teens?

13-14 early teens, 15-17 mid teens, 18-19 late teens.

You'd be smack dab in the middle.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/17/06 at 3:03 pm

Late teens?

13-14 early teens, 15-17 mid teens, 18-19 late teens.

You'd be smack dab in the middle.

That true.  I am mid-to-late tens though, and some people consider 10-12 to be "teen" numbers even though they don't end in "teen".

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/17/06 at 3:17 pm

Most '80s teens I'd say are now roughly between the ages of 41 and 33.

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/17/06 at 3:21 pm

That true.  I am mid-to-late tens though, and some people consider 10-12 to be "teen" numbers even though they don't end in "teen".

Technically I think 10-12 is teen, even though the number doesn't end in teen. Teen is by definition the plural of ten, the teens are the numbers 10-19 regardless of the ending of the number.

Written By: BCRichrocker on 02/17/06 at 3:37 pm

Technically I think 10-12 is teen, even though the number doesn't end in teen. Teen is by definition the plural of ten, the teens are the numbers 10-19 regardless of the ending of the number.

If you consider a 10 year old a "teen" then you might have more problems than I wish to discuss here.

I really don't care about the "literal" definition of the term, just the adopted definition of the term that everyone and their mother accepts in our modern society.

Teenage years start at 13.  Period. I didn't consider myself a teen at ten (not many kids would) and any kid who does now is just trying to grasp at straws in order to feel older.

Written By: Australian80sChild on 02/18/06 at 3:06 am

right. Teen is 13-19.

As for living past 100 - it's possible that science will advance enough to make it possible for the average person but most medical folk dont promote that because they dont want to get hopes too high

Written By: rich1981 on 02/18/06 at 11:20 pm

Maybe it is possible to live past 100 years but a lot of that still depends on the person, especially concerning obesity. As for being an 80's person I am definitely in the XY cusp ('81 born) so I have been exposed to and enjoyed the 80's pop culture but the 90's had just as strong effect as well, though probably not after 1998. One of my cousins on the other hand was born in '76 and seems to enjoy just about everything equally from the 80's, 90's and 00's, as long as it's her taste.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/19/06 at 3:43 am

Maybe it is possible to live past 100 years but a lot of that still depends on the person, especially concerning obesity. As for being an 80's person I am definitely in the XY cusp ('81 born) so I have been exposed to and enjoyed the 80's pop culture but the 90's had just as strong effect as well, though probably not after 1998. One of my cousins on the other hand was born in '76 and seems to enjoy just about everything equally from the 80's, 90's and 00's, as long as it's her taste.

So is the 1990s considered part of Y's domain then?  Because I've understood it as being X (except for 1999, and some aspects of 1997 and '98).  But, knowing the '90s a little is essential to being Y, just like knowing the '80s is essential to being X.

Written By: rich1981 on 02/20/06 at 3:17 am

^ Maybe some elements of the 90's for Gen Y, especially as there are many holdovers from the 90's into the 00's.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/20/06 at 3:40 am

^ Maybe some elements of the 90's for Gen Y, especially as there are many holdovers from the 90's into the 00's.

Without a doubt, but I still see them as quintessentially Gen X. But to truly be a Y you have to have a little '90s in you, plus Yers tend to like the '90s.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/20/06 at 1:38 pm

I think mid-90s/late-90s teen culture and some of the pop was Y cusp, like Sabrina the Teenage Witch and Buffy the Vampire Slayer and even Beverly Hills 90210 to a degree.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/20/06 at 3:19 pm

I think mid-90s/late-90s teen culture and some of the pop was Y cusp, like Sabrina the Teenage Witch and Buffy the Vampire Slayer and even Beverly Hills 90210 to a degree.

IMO?

1990-1996 Gen X
1997-1998 X/Y
1999 Gen Y

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/20/06 at 3:24 pm

I think the late '90s were definitely geared towards gen y. The early and mid '90s were geared towards the later gen xers .

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/21/06 at 12:35 am

I think the late '90s were definitely geared towards gen y. The early and mid '90s were geared towards the later gen xers .

I would say, again: 1997 is the magic year.  Most of the late '80s/early '90s kids gained cultural consciousness around 1997, and this was also the midway of the Clinton Administration and the first year after the Telecommunications Act.  Also, the digital revolution really started going to the Moon in 1997 and "South Park" and "King of the Hill", along with Zoog Disney and One Saturday Morning started.

The early and middle nineties are for Gen X and the part of Y that is almost exactly like Gen X, although some kiddie stuff from then is more Y.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/21/06 at 1:08 am

I think it was roughly-

1964-1981 (Boomers, 1946-1963): This started with Beatlemania and went until Gen X '80s culture rose up.
1982-1995/1996ish (Gen X, 1964-1976)
1995/1996ish-1998 (XY Cusp, 1977-1980)
1997ish on (Gen Y, 1981-1993/1994)

Alot of this overlaps, obviously. I think it'll start to be Gen Z or YZ Cusp in like 2009 or 2010, maybe.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/21/06 at 1:16 am

I would say, again: 1997 is the magic year.  Most of the late '80s/early '90s kids gained cultural consciousness around 1997, and this was also the midway of the Clinton Administration and the first year after the Telecommunications Act.  Also, the digital revolution really started going to the Moon in 1997 and "South Park" and "King of the Hill", along with Zoog Disney and One Saturday Morning started.

Also most people believe grunge died in '97 when soundgarden broke up so with grunge dying out that was the year that we started to move into the 00's and thus the begining of Gen Y

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/21/06 at 1:29 am

I think it was roughly-

1964-1981 (Boomers, 1946-1963): This started with Beatlemania and went until Gen X '80s culture rose up.

Alot of this overlaps, obviously. I think it'll start to be Gen Z or YZ Cusp in like 2009 or 2010, maybe.

Sounds about right to me.  Esp on the Xers.  Yers is pretty close too, the 1994ers, while IMO still more Y do almost seem like a different generation than me.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/21/06 at 11:37 am

I think it was roughly-

That's pretty accurate. The only thing I'd change would be to push the end of Gen Y up to '97 because I think that's the first true Gen Z birth year but I would say that '94-'96 maybe even '93 will wind up being part of a Y/Z Cusp

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/21/06 at 3:03 pm

That's pretty accurate. The only thing I'd change would be to push the end of Gen Y up to '97 because I think that's the first true Gen Z birth year but I would say that '94-'96 maybe even '93 will wind up being part of a Y/Z Cusp

I'd agree.  It's more like 1996.

I doubt 1993 is Gen Z at all.  I don't really note much of a generation gap with them, except they have more Hannahs and Emilys, etc. than 1980s and 1990-'92 babies.  It's 1994 that's starting to go Z, but I still think it's more Y.  1997+ up is definitely Z though, since they probably wouldn't have any memory of the 20th Century.

Written By: rich1981 on 02/21/06 at 6:26 pm

Probably, but do you think Gen Z should recall 9/11?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/21/06 at 6:53 pm

Probably, but do you think Gen Z should recall 9/11?

No I dont think even the oldest Gen Z member(born in '97) would recall 9/11 or at least be able to fully grasp what was going on.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/21/06 at 6:56 pm

There's a difference between remembering and grasping. Somebody born in '95 would not have been able to grasp the full impact of it like somebody from '93 would.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/21/06 at 6:58 pm

'94-'96 is probably a YZ cusp, but I don't think they'll share much of the Y worldview at all and won't grasp the changes with computers and such as much as Yers do.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/21/06 at 8:00 pm

No I dont think even the oldest Gen Z member(born in '97) would recall 9/11 or at least be able to fully grasp what was going on.

1996 is the point at which someone could remember it.  Well, a '97er might - really vaguely. 

My main reason for 1996 being the end is because they could at least recall 1999.  A 1997er probably couldn't.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/21/06 at 8:44 pm

I still definitely think the mid-90s is cuspy, though, leaning more towards Z. Even between 1993 and 1994 there's definitely a generation gap there, and I think I'm probably way more similar to somebody born in 1985 than 1995, and I'm 1990.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/21/06 at 11:04 pm

1996 is the point at which someone could remember it.  Well, a '97er might - really vaguely. 

My main reason for 1996 being the end is because they could at least recall 1999.  A 1997er probably couldn't.

Yeah I would think that to by in Gen Y you'd have to remember at least some of the 20th Century.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/21/06 at 11:12 pm

I still definitely think the mid-90s is cuspy, though, leaning more towards Z. Even between 1993 and 1994 there's definitely a generation gap there, and I think I'm probably way more similar to somebody born in 1985 than 1995, and I'm 1990.

Yeah, mid-'90s is kind of cuspy, but still probably a part of Y.  1993 is the last year that's really firmly into Y, even as a 1990er I feel just a teeny bit on the latter side of Y.  1987-1993 really feels like "my age group".

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/21/06 at 11:39 pm

I generally consider most people born from 1983-1990 as around my age, the kids born after 1990 just seem a lot younger to me. I have more in common with people in their early 20s then I do a 14 or 15 year old now.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/21/06 at 11:49 pm

I generally consider most people born from 1983-1990 as around my age, the kids born after 1990 just seem a lot younger to me. I have more in common with people in their early 20s then I do a 14 or 15 year old now.

Does that include 1990?  Cuz thatz when I'm born  ;D

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/21/06 at 11:57 pm

Does that include 1990?  Cuz thatz when I'm born  ;D

Lol yea definitely 1990ers usually have similiar tastes and a decent memory of the '90s. The kids born in 1992 or so seem a lot younger and usually don't remember much from the '90s.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/22/06 at 12:10 am

Lol yea definitely 1990ers usually have similiar tastes and a decent memory of the '90s. The kids born in 1992 or so seem a lot younger and usually don't remember much from the '90s.

W/o a doubt.  I think in order to truly remember the '90s the latest year you can be born is 1991.  As a 1990er, I remember the latter half of the '90s quite well, and the end of them like yesterday.  To a 1992er even 1999 would be a little vague.

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/22/06 at 12:15 am

W/o a doubt.  I think in order to truly remember the '90s the latest year you can be born is 1991.  As a 1990er, I remember the latter half of the '90s quite well, and the end of them like yesterday.  To a 1992er even 1999 would be a little vague.

Yea they remember the last few years a little especially 1999, but not in the detail that you or I can. I see a number of 1990ers on the '90s board, but I rarely ever see someone born in 1992 or later commenting much on the '90s.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/22/06 at 1:19 am

Yea they remember the last few years a little especially 1999, but not in the detail that you or I can. I see a number of 1990ers on the '90s board, but I rarely ever see someone born in 1992 or later commenting much on the '90s.

I dont think I've ever seen anyone born in '92+ commenting on the 90's board. But for good reason because even though if you can remember even one thing from '99 you can technically remember the 90's but to really know what makes the decade special you would have to have been born in at least '91.

Written By: Sarah1183 on 02/25/06 at 4:39 pm

I dont think I've ever seen anyone born in '92+ commenting on the 90's board. But for good reason because even though if you can remember even one thing from '99 you can technically remember the 90's but to really know what makes the decade special you would have to have been born in at least '91.

I don't think so. I wouldn't consider people born in 91 to be 90's people. I consider people who remember all of the decade to be 90's people. That means you had to be born, at the very latest in 1985.

Written By: Australian80sChild on 02/25/06 at 6:01 pm

that's ridiculous! how is someone born in say 1980 any less of an '80s person?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/25/06 at 6:09 pm

I don't think so. I wouldn't consider people born in 91 to be 90's people. I consider people who remember all of the decade to be 90's people. That means you had to be born, at the very latest in 1985.

I have to disagree there.  I'm 1990, and consider myself both, probably with some early 2010s there.  I can remember back to at least 1994, and 1998 and 1999 seem like yesterday to me.

I'm certainly more of a '00s person, but I definitely have plenty of '90s credit.  And so does a '91er or '92er.

Just my opinion :)

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/25/06 at 9:49 pm

I was born in 1990, and I think I certainly remember enough of the 1990s to know what made them special. People born until about 1992 would have a pretty good idea of the '90s...however, remembering 1999 does not remembering the '90s make, really. That's part of the reason why I don't really consider people born in the mid-90s Generation Y.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/25/06 at 10:21 pm

I was born in 1990, and I think I certainly remember enough of the 1990s to know what made them special. People born until about 1992 would have a pretty good idea of the '90s...however, remembering 1999 does not remembering the '90s make, really. That's part of the reason why I don't really consider people born in the mid-90s Generation Y.

Yeah, 1990 or 1991 is really where you can fully know the '90s.  1999 and even 1997 and '98 don't really count as much as 1991/'92-1996. 
But I do think that mid '90s is Y, because the '00s are the quintessential Y decade.  A Yer has to have minimal '90s experience, but doesn't have to know the decade since it's not really a Gen Y decade.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/25/06 at 10:24 pm

Yeah, 1990 or 1991 is really where you can fully know the '90s.  1999 and even 1997 and '98 don't really count as much as 1991/'92-1996. 
But I do think that mid '90s is Y, because the '00s are the quintessential Y decade.  A Yer has to have minimal '90s experience, but doesn't have to know the decade since it's not really a Gen Y decade.

However, the '70s were really the quintessential total baby-boom decade (the '60s defined them, but alot of them were too young for that.) And yet, people born in 1964, 1965, and 1966 may have been preteens and teens in the 1970s with lots of knowledge of the 1970s, yet they're almost always considered to be Generation X. The 2010s will be more what shapes people from the mid-90s.  And remember, I'm talking about a cultural generation.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/25/06 at 10:28 pm

However, the '70s were really the quintessential total baby-boom decade (the '60s defined them, but alot of them were too young for that.) And yet, people born in 1964, 1965, and 1966 may have been preteens and teens in the 1970s with lots of knowledge of the 1970s, yet they're almost always considered to be Generation X. The 2010s will be more what shapes people from the mid-90s.  And remember, I'm talking about a cultural generation.

Yeah, that's true, the '70s are more essential.  Although 1969 is probably the very peak.

Actually, though, 1964 is often considered the last baby boom year, although culturally IMO they're more X.  1965 is always X though.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/25/06 at 10:30 pm

Yeah, that's true, the '70s are more essential.  Although 1969 is probably the very peak.

Actually, though, 1964 is often considered the last baby boom year, although culturally IMO they're more X.  1965 is always X though.

In recent years, according to en.wikipedia.org (my favorite source,  ;D), 1964 has been more considered the beginning of Generation X, largely because Courtney Love, Eddie Vedder, and lots of other classic Generation Xers were born that year. That's according to Generation X websites, also.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/25/06 at 10:32 pm

In recent years, according to en.wikipedia.org (my favorite source,  ;D), 1964 has been more considered the beginning of Generation X, largely because Courtney Love, Eddie Vedder, and lots of other classic Generation Xers were born that year. That's according to Generation X websites, also.

A Fellow Wikipedian!  ;D  Have u been editing those/did you post a comment there?

Yeah, I think 1964 is X, but technically it is baby boomer, if that makes sense.  But yes, '63ers seem a lot more conservative and old-fashioned than '64ers are.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/25/06 at 10:33 pm

A Fellow Wikipedian!  ;D  Have u been editing those/did you post a comment there?

Yeah, I think 1964 is X, but technically it is baby boomer, if that makes sense.  But yes, '63ers seem a lot more conservative and old-fashioned than '64ers are.

Yeah, I've been editing...I have edited alot  ;D. I then gave up with the generations stuff because no other Generation Yers were actually editing Generation Y. 1964 is demographically baby boom, but they're really Generation X. Also, the baby boomers get everything, let's just give 1964 to Generation X  ;).

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/25/06 at 10:34 pm

Yeah, I've been editing...I have edited alot  ;D. I then gave up with the generations stuff because no other Generation Yers were actually editing Generation Y. 1964 is demographically baby boom, but they're really Generation X. Also, the baby boomers get everything, let's just give 1964 to Generation X  ;).

I edit Gen Y.  Actually, most of the music stuff is my work.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/25/06 at 10:37 pm

I edit Gen Y.  Actually, most of the music stuff is my work.

Really? Cool! I always liked that section. Alot of my stuff got edited out, I think. But I do like 1964-1976 as a more modern, post-Generation X survey of who turned out to be Generation X as a cultural generation, with 1977-1979 being late, '90s generation Gen Xers looking forward to Y. 1964 was the last year before the birthrate really plummeted, though.

Written By: Sarah1183 on 02/27/06 at 5:59 am

I have to disagree there.  I'm 1990, and consider myself both, probably with some early 2010s there.  I can remember back to at least 1994, and 1998 and 1999 seem like yesterday to me.

I'm certainly more of a '00s person, but I definitely have plenty of '90s credit.  And so does a '91er or '92er.

Just my opinion :)

So you're saying someone born in 1992, who was only 3 by the middle of the decade, for example, was all about the 90s?

Then, by that logic, since I was born in 1983, I have plenty of "80s credit" too -- although I think alot of people 10 years older than me would laugh, as they would have been my babysitter in the 80s.

I remember, in 1995, I used to babysit an adorable 3 year old boy who lived next door. He's now in 8th grade. I saw him recently and he was taller than me.  :o Wow.

OK, then... by that logic I guess I'm an 80's person, just as someone born in the early 90's is a 90's person. Cool.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/27/06 at 11:57 am

So you're saying someone born in 1992, who was only 3 by the middle of the decade, for example, was all about the 90s?

Then, by that logic, since I was born in 1983, I have plenty of "80s credit" too -- although I think alot of people 10 years older than me would laugh, as they would have been my babysitter in the 80s.

I remember, in 1995, I used to babysit an adorable 3 year old boy who lived next door. He's now in 8th grade. I saw him recently and he was taller than me.  :o Wow.

OK, then... by that logic I guess I'm an 80's person, just as someone born in the early 90's is a 90's person. Cool.

I think it depends. I was born in '87 and I dont consider the 90's to be "my time" that's more 00's. But I was a child of the 90's and since I can remember 1993+ in great detail I'd like to think the 90's really shaped who I am today so in that respect I guess I would be a 90's person.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/27/06 at 12:43 pm

I'm a child of the '90s (born 1990) and an adolescent of the '00s. 9/11 and the beginning of the '00s actually occurred right as I was entering adolescence and puberty, so the correspondence was perfect.

Written By: Australian80sChild on 02/27/06 at 2:22 pm

Sarah you are what most books would call a Child of the '80s - people born between 1975 and 1983 - those who spent 6 or more years of their childhood in the '80s
Obviously that's different from a Teen of the '80s - people born between 1962 and 1971

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/27/06 at 2:56 pm

Well, I see the "3" year as being the limit ... but yes you do have some late '80s credit.

I just think it's silly to consider a decade "before your time" if you can remember half of it.  Yeah, pop-culturally it is, but you could still remember the general feeling of the times. 

Written By: Australian80sChild on 02/27/06 at 3:03 pm

I agree with Donnie

Written By: rich1981 on 02/27/06 at 7:34 pm

Well, I see the "3" year as being the limit ... but yes you do have some late '80s credit.

I just think it's silly to consider a decade "before your time" if you can remember half of it.  Yeah, pop-culturally it is, but you could still remember the general feeling of the times. 

I guess it all depends on your upbringing, especially if you grew up with a family (especially older siblings) that was really into the culture of the time.

Written By: robby76 on 02/27/06 at 8:14 pm

I guess it all depends on your upbringing, especially if you grew up with a family (especially older siblings) that was really into the culture of the time.

Older siblings are key in how much you know and remember. They really do expose you to more than say a friend who was an only child.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/27/06 at 9:18 pm

I agree.  You don't learn things on your own so much.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/28/06 at 1:57 am

Yeah I think as long as you can remember and grasp something it really cant be before your time. I dont think of anything 92+ to be before my time. Pop culturally I think my time is probably 98+.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/28/06 at 2:00 am

Yeah I think as long as you can remember and grasp something it really cant be before your time. I dont think of anything 92+ to be before my time. Pop culturally I think my time is probably 98+.

Yeah, I agree.

I think of "my time" as like 1992 to the early 2010s, even though I can't remember 1992.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/28/06 at 12:26 pm

Yeah, I agree.

I think of "my time" as like 1992 to the early 2010s, even though I can't remember 1992.

Yeah. It's different pop culturally because you do have to be of a certain age before you really begin to care about it but it seems stupid to me to consider a time you were alive in as "before your time".

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/28/06 at 12:36 pm

Yeah, I agree.

My time really started in 1992, that's when my first memories were and I can sort of get a grasp of the early '90s from that, but the '80s were close enough to my time, with all the pop culture I devoured in the early-mid '90s and all the '80s remaining in the '90s that I don't think of the '80s as "out of grasp" for me, or that far before my time, particularly the late '80s. To me, the '70s is the first decade that seems really far away.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/28/06 at 12:40 pm

My time really started in 1992, that's when my first memories were and I can sort of get a grasp of the early '90s from that, but the '80s were close enough to my time, with all the pop culture I devoured in the early-mid '90s and all the '80s remaining in the '90s that I don't think of the '80s as "out of grasp" for me, or that far before my time, particularly the late '80s. To me, the '70s is the first decade that seems really far away.

Yeah I was born in the 80's and I think the same thing. Sure the early and mid 80's might be technically "before my time" but I woulnt consider the 80's as a whole to be "out of grasp" for me.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/28/06 at 12:44 pm

Yeah I was born in the 80's and I think the same thing. Sure the early and mid 80's might be technically "before my time" but I woulnt consider the 80's as a whole to be "out of grasp" for me.

A time before people had cable TV and CDs and VHS seems sort of out of grasp, though, so I'd put my date for things being in my grasp in the early '80s.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/28/06 at 12:48 pm

A time before people had cable TV and CDs and VHS seems sort of out of grasp, though, so I'd put my date for things being in my grasp in the early '80s.

Yep same with me. Even though we didnt get cable at our house until I was 6 years old but I pretty much had a VHS player avalible to me from the moment I was born so I'd say the really early 80's '80/'81 are pretty much out of my grasp too.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/28/06 at 12:54 pm

Yep same with me. Even though we didnt get cable at our house until I was 6 years old but I pretty much had a VHS player avalible to me from the moment I was born so I'd say the really early 80's '80/'81 are pretty much out of my grasp too.

Yeah, same with me. The world I grew up with until I was 7 when we got a computer was basically the same as the 1983+ period in the '80s.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/28/06 at 1:00 pm

Yeah, same with me. The world I grew up with until I was 7 when we got a computer was basically the same as the 1983+ period in the '80s.

Isin't it odd to think that kids born in 2006 may one day consider everything pre-2000 to be "out of there grasp"?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/28/06 at 2:29 pm

Isin't it odd to think that kids born in 2006 may one day consider everything pre-2000 to be "out of there grasp"?

That is odd.  Even the '90s would be like another century to them.

The '80s aren't out of my grasp, except for the very early part of them.  My "home time" is like 1982-2015 I'd say.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/28/06 at 5:43 pm

That is odd.  Even the '90s would be like another century to them.

The '80s aren't out of my grasp, except for the very early part of them.  My "home time" is like 1982-2015 I'd say.

I agree with that. I think it's interesting that our time can be before our birth...our generation is one of the few where that's possible due to the more gradual changes of the past few decades. My parents see the 1950s as before their time because of all the cultural changes when they were growing up in the 1960s, though they were born in 1955.

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/01/06 at 1:52 am

I agree with that. I think it's interesting that our time can be before our birth...our generation is one of the few where that's possible due to the more gradual changes of the past few decades.

You know, I've felt this way too (you're a 1990er, right? So I'd be 8-9 years older, and it's still very similar with me).

Quite a few things from 1978 and '79 had an influence on my early childhood (i.e. '80s bands who were just starting out, the beginning of video games, VCR's, early new wave) even if my first memories aren't until the latter half of '84 at the earliest. 1978-84 is sort of my "pre time", and 1985-94 had the most influence on me as it was actually going on. Sure, I might've liked some slightly older things, but it was those years I really considered my time, just for personal memories and such.

Although it wasn't until 1998ish that I started feeling noticeably different. Not that I didn't like stuff then, but I just that it was removed from what I'd "grown up" with, ya know?

BTW, like I've said before, if you have personal memories of an era, or especially if you got into anything pop culturally from then, it's "your time". People sometimes have this myth that your time is ONLY your teen years, that's just silly. No, obviously I wasn't driving, going on a date with a girl sneaking into a Bon Jovi concert or hanging out at Pizza Hut all night with twenty buddies in 1988 (when I was 6-7), but I still fondly remember alot of what went on then. It's ridiculous to think I wouldn't. ;)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/01/06 at 2:10 am

You know, I've felt this way too (you're a 1990er, right? So I'd be 8-9 years older, and it's still very similar with me).

Quite a few things from 1978 and '79 had an influence on my early childhood (i.e. '80s bands who were just starting out, the beginning of video games, VCR's, early new wave) even if my first memories aren't until the latter half of '84 at the earliest. 1978-84 is sort of my "pre time", and 1985-94 had the most influence on me as it was actually going on. Sure, I might've liked some slightly older things, but it was those years I really considered my time, just for personal memories and such.

Although it wasn't until 1998ish that I started feeling noticeably different. Not that I didn't like stuff then, but I just that it was removed from what I'd "grown up" with, ya know?

BTW, like I've said before, if you have personal memories of an era, or especially if you got into anything pop culturally from then, it's "your time". People sometimes have this myth that your time is ONLY your teen years, that's just silly. No, obviously I wasn't driving, going on a date with a girl sneaking into a Bon Jovi concert or hanging out at Pizza Hut all night with twenty buddies in 1988 (when I was 6-7), but I still fondly remember alot of what went on then. It's ridiculous to think I wouldn't. ;)

Oh yeah.

BTW do you see Pizza Hut as an '80s thing that was equally popular in the nineties?  I certainly do, I miss Pizza Hut.

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/01/06 at 2:13 am

Oh yeah.

BTW do you see Pizza Hut as an '80s thing that was equally popular in the nineties?  I certainly do, I miss Pizza Hut.

There's still plenty around here (it's my favorite of all the chains - though I love Little Caeasrs' crazy bread!), but I kinda see the '80s as the premiere "pizza delivery" era, if that makes sense. The '90s didn't seem to change things too much either.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/01/06 at 3:09 am

There's still plenty around here (it's my favorite of all the chains - though I love Little Caeasrs' crazy bread!), but I kinda see the '80s as the premiere "pizza delivery" era, if that makes sense. The '90s didn't seem to change things too much either.

Yeah, with Ninja Turtles and the like, pizza was very eighties.

I guess you could call Pizza Hut a "20th Century suburbia" thing - VHS decks, Pizza Hut, old school gaming, floppy disks, etc. are things both an '80s and '90s suburban kid could appreciate.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/01/06 at 5:15 am

We still have lots of Pizza Huts in Jersey! I think pizza delivery will remain popular forever, it's the greatest retail invention of all time  ;)  ;D .

Yeah, I'm a 1990er. I consider like 1984-1992ish to be my "pre-time" and 1993+ to be "my time."

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/01/06 at 11:19 am

We still have lots of Pizza Huts in Jersey! I think pizza delivery will remain popular forever, it's the greatest retail invention of all time  ;)  ;D .

Yeah, I'm a 1990er. I consider like 1984-1992ish to be my "pre-time" and 1993+ to be "my time."

I think so too. Mostly because when I was growing up in the early 90's alot of toys I played with, shows I watched, etc. still had an 80's influence to them. Also my parents were teens in the 80's so they listened to alot of 80's music when I was growing up so it never really felt that far away from me. I dont consider anything past 1981 to really be out of my grasp.

Written By: Max Headroom on 03/06/06 at 12:05 pm

That's me... born in April of 1971, so I had the best of both worlds as far as 70s and 80s pop culture goes. 

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/06/06 at 12:27 pm

We still had an '80s CD player, car, TV, and all '80s home appliances up to about 1999 or so, so the '80s are very within my grasp.

Written By: bozorg on 11/18/09 at 2:40 am

I consider Generation Y as extending from 1983-1995 (or '96). A bit random yeah, but if you define Y as the generation that were defined by 9/11 and the 2000's cultural millieu than people born in those years fit that the best. Even someone born in 1996 would be 13-14 by now and as far as teenage culture is concerned, they're still going to have a bit of a Y outlook I think (though probably the tail end of Y). 1997-2001 can be a cusp generation, as I think the 2010's will more or less still have many aspects of the mid-late 2000's though changed by then to be sure.
I think Y culture will probably end during the early-mid 2010's, possibly around 2013-2014. I think the rest of the decade will be a bit of a cusp culture before the real Gen Z'ers come in (2020's). These are the children of Generation X proper.
I'm a 89'er and I see a common youth culture as far as the 15-30 year olds around me are concerned. I remember the 1990's fairly well (despite being in elemntary school). The Soviet Union's fall and the end of the Cold War I don't remember but they were still close enough to be considered current/recent events that were affecting the times. A lot of the globes and overhead maps at my elementary school still had the USSR, East Germany, Yugoslavia and Czechoslovakia on them, with Hong Kong having a (UK) logo underneath. I used to ask other teachers why Russia had a funny name on some globes lol. My first big political memory was the Clinton/Dole run-off in 1996, though I knew of Clinton as a face and as "president" before that. I had a geek memory then. Generation X'ers were basically the teens and young adults of my pre-school/Kindergarten/first-second grade years and alot of my impressions of teen life came from Gen-X'sh movies like "Can't Buy me Love", "Beverly Hills", "Full House", and "Roseanne". Cusper films too like "I Know what you Did Last Summer" and "Scream".

Generation Z, for me, begins around 2001, after 9/11. Many seem to identify a "baby boomlet" linked to the economic situation of the mid-late 2000's. They put this from 2006 onwards to its end sometime in the next 3 years. 2006-2013. Perhaps this should be the "peak" for Generation Z. I"m not a sociologist so I can't say. I am an anthropologist (or anthropology student) though.

Written By: whistledog on 11/18/09 at 6:23 am

80 years old to 89 years old.

Gay topics are still gay.

Check for new replies or respond here...