inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What does it mean to "Wang Chung tonight"?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/22/06 at 7:49 pm

Does it mean "whipping it" or "dancing with yourself"?  ;D

Subject: Re: What does it mean to "Wang Chung tonight"?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/22/06 at 7:53 pm

I have no idea!  ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/22/06 at 7:56 pm

Does it mean "whipping it" or "dancing with yourself"?  ;D

;D

I always assumed it was a synonym for "have fun" - possibly to do a wild form of dancing or something.

Good song, btw (even by my standards, a little cheesy, but I love it). :)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/22/06 at 7:58 pm

;D

I always assumed it was a synonym for "have fun" - possibly to do a wild form of dancing or something.

Good song, btw (even by my standards, a little cheesy, but I love it). :)

Yeah I like it, partly because it's so cheesy.  I think it's just saying "Have Fun Tonight" and making a corny pun, but who knows, there's a lot of '80s song about j**king off.  Even Chucky would agree with me, if you go to inthe80s.com

Written By: whistledog on 01/22/06 at 8:01 pm

Huang Chung (which was originally the way the band spelled their name) is Chinese for "Perfect Pitch"

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/22/06 at 9:02 pm

Yeah I like it, partly because it's so cheesy.  I think it's just saying "Have Fun Tonight" and making a corny pun, but who knows, there's a lot of '80s song about j**king off.   Even Chucky would agree with me, if you go to inthe80s.com

That's the urban rumor about "Turning Japanese". ;)

Really though, that brings me to a separate point. There were alot of 80's songs (I mean popular, generally nonthreatening stuff that was everywhere) that were about sex, etc. In many cases they could get away with it, simply because it sounded so innocent/happy, or it wasn't referenced directly, therefore not everyone would catch on without reading the lyrics carefully.

Many songs I liked at age 5 took on a completely different meaning once I was 15 (Madonna's "Borderline", Huey Lewis' "Heart and Soul", Prince's "Little Red Corvette", Foreigner's "Urgent" and Billy Ocean's "Get Outta My Dreams, into My Car"). ;D

Anyway, I find almost the opposite to be true today. Songs that, when deciphered closely really aren't that offensive, but they're made to sound that way just to get kids to like it. Particularly "bling-ish" rap.

Written By: Jeffpcmt on 01/24/06 at 11:29 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: whistledog on 01/24/06 at 12:45 pm

I heard the got the name Wang Chung because it is how a guitar sounds when playing a chord.

Originally, they took it from the Chinese definition, but later on, they said that when they played on American Bandstand, they thought that's how the guitar sounded. 

Written By: Mr. Muisc on 12/02/10 at 2:19 pm

It means to have SEX. How do I know, I asked the band, as my father was the managind director of the label they recorded on at the time....got to run, as I have to wang-chung

Written By: Lundylane on 12/02/10 at 2:25 pm

I agree with Mr. Music.....c 'mon guys....it so obviously means SEX!!!!!!  Does no one but me remember the 80's????

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/03/10 at 1:44 am

I agree with Mr. Music.....c 'mon guys....it so obviously means SEX!!!!!!  Does no one but me remember the 80's????
Where is the obvious in it?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/03/10 at 2:44 am

To smoke opium.
8)

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/03/10 at 11:37 am

Sex and drugs and rock n' roll?

Written By: Lynne on 12/03/10 at 7:48 pm

That's the urban rumor about "Turning Japanese". ;)

Really though, that brings me to a separate point. There were alot of 80's songs (I mean popular, generally nonthreatening stuff that was everywhere) that were about sex, etc. In many cases they could get away with it, simply because it sounded so innocent/happy, or it wasn't referenced directly, therefore not everyone would catch on without reading the lyrics carefully.

Many songs I liked at age 5 took on a completely different meaning once I was 15 (Madonna's "Borderline", Huey Lewis' "Heart and Soul", Prince's "Little Red Corvette", Foreigner's "Urgent" and Billy Ocean's "Get Outta My Dreams, into My Car"). ;D

Anyway, I find almost the opposite to be true today. Songs that, when deciphered closely really aren't that offensive, but they're made to sound that way just to get kids to like it. Particularly "bling-ish" rap.

Marty: haha. So true. I was the same way. I sang a song at karaoke when I was around 11 and found out a few years later that I had actually sung a 'sex song'!!! No wonder I got funny looks and little applause.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/03/10 at 8:26 pm

"Everybody buy our dorky records tonight"

Written By: Stinkyy on 12/06/10 at 11:22 pm

There was a popular, erudite television journalist in the '80s by the name of Connie Chung.  The song was a mournful ode of the unrequited lust of not being able to wang her. 

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/07/10 at 9:17 pm

Madonna, Prince (probably the best 80s double-entendre track of them all), Foreigner, and Billy, sure... but Huey?  Really?  If you were still here, I'd love to know what else that song could possibly have been about!

The more things change, the more they stay the same.  

Along the lines of Prince's Little Red Corvette, ten years from now we're going to have someone coming in here to admit they were completely traumatized when they realized why their parents were always snickering awkwardly as they innocently played GTA5 and flipped the in-game radio to Rihanna's Shut Up And Drive.

(No, Mom, I just think it's a funny song.  Whaddya mean I'll understand Chuck Berry's My Ding-A-Ling when I'm older?  Dad, why's Mom laughing so hard?  Wait, why are you laughing even harder?)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/08/10 at 9:04 pm

Madonna, Prince (probably the best 80s double-entendre track of them all), Foreigner, and Billy, sure... but Huey?  Really?  If you were still here, I'd love to know what else that song could possibly have been about!

The more things change, the more they stay the same.  

Along the lines of Prince's Little Red Corvette, ten years from now we're going to have someone coming in here to admit they were completely traumatized when they realized why their parents were always snickering awkwardly as they innocently played GTA5 and flipped the in-game radio to Rihanna's Shut Up And Drive.

(No, Mom, I just think it's a funny song.  Whaddya mean I'll understand Chuck Berry's My Ding-A-Ling when I'm older?  Dad, why's Mom laughing so hard?  Wait, why are you laughing even harder?)

See my latest post on '80s videos thread!
:)

Whatchamacall a double-made-single entendre, such as Fred Schneider's "Monster."  Bring on the animated dancing pickle!

;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUnO4gK_56g

Written By: Hud on 01/08/11 at 5:44 am

It's all verbal Rorchachisms by those oh-so-hip-and-clever pop rockers that see into your head and interpret your thoughts when you listen, unless you're wearing your protective tinfoil hats :D

"Cryptic" lyrics give stoned slackers a way to pass the day attempting to assign some deep revelation to the likes of "we are devo" or "I went to the edge and there I stood and looked down", when all it really is is bands that can't keep selling tunes that keep repeating "I wanna love you, baby. yeah yeah yeah baby". That gets a little old after Elvis wore it out as the first rocker, tho all copy it, one way or another.

Written By: Howard on 01/08/11 at 6:42 am

I'd like for some girl to Chung on my Wang. :D

Written By: bigdsketch on 01/09/11 at 10:04 pm

It means to have SEX. How do I know, I asked the band, as my father was the managind director of the label they recorded on at the time....got to run, as I have to wang-chung
      I  K N E W  I T! ! ! ! ! !    ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 01/10/11 at 5:55 am

Wang Chung in my opinion means to have fun!  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/headbang.gif

Written By: Howard on 01/10/11 at 6:15 am

It means let's play with Mr.Chung's Wang. ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 01/10/11 at 1:51 pm

It means let's play with Mr.Chung's Wang. ;D

;D

Written By: Howard on 01/10/11 at 6:39 pm

;D

I don't know what it means to Wang Chung? Do you have to do shake your head till your dizzy like in the video? ???

Written By: 80sfan on 01/12/11 at 2:32 am

I don't know what it means to Wang Chung? Do you have to do shake your head till your dizzy like in the video? ???

Like the song, but the video gives me a headache.  >:(

Written By: Howard on 01/12/11 at 6:15 am

Like the song, but the video gives me a headache.  >:(

What's with the video? Do you have to shake your head like Jack Hues does? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/21/11 at 3:16 pm

Can Wang Chung be an anagram for something?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/22/11 at 12:24 am

It means the record company wanted another hit out of us so we tooted some blow and wrote a song in 10 minutes!
::)

Written By: whistledog on 04/22/11 at 12:34 am

It means that Frasier Crane has a new outlook on life ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4GtOdJtgL8

Written By: Howard on 04/22/11 at 6:27 am

Can Wang Chung be an anagram for something?

Can it also be a message about sex? ???

Written By: Dagwood on 04/22/11 at 7:03 am

It means the record company wanted another hit out of us so we tooted some blow and wrote a song in 10 minutes!
::)

Wow and ;D ;D ;D

Karma for the early morning laugh, great way to start my day!

Written By: Howard on 04/22/11 at 7:07 pm

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_W4btGf_1ZRw/SDWY2lpP9GI/AAAAAAAABD0/LMXFBeGvl88/s320/wang+chung.jpg

Here is Mr.Wang Chung.  :D

Written By: mike on 03/02/12 at 3:04 pm

It means "do drugs" i.e. if your at the dinner table it's easy to say "Hey Sis do you wanna 'Wang Chung Tonight?'" and your parents and little bro won't have a clue!!!

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/02/12 at 3:19 pm

It means "do drugs" i.e. if your at the dinner table it's easy to say "Hey Sis do you wanna 'Wang Chung Tonight?'" and your parents and little bro won't have a clue!!!
Not unless they have read this reply?

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/02/12 at 3:55 pm

That's just weird.

Written By: Howard on 03/02/12 at 7:07 pm

I thought it meant for guys to chung their wang.  ;D

Written By: Doc Brown on 03/02/12 at 11:32 pm

Oh, come on you guys! This was the 80's, not every song was about SEX SEX SEX, you need the eras of disco or hip-hop for that. ;) If you listen to the rest of the lyrics, to "Wang Chung" meant to do one thing, and one thing only:
PARTY!

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: Howard on 03/03/12 at 6:47 am

But who is this guy Wang Chung?  ???

Written By: Crystal on 07/14/13 at 4:26 am

They're talking about sex.

My high school sweetie was a hyper guy and one time sang the chorus out loud. He was right next to this Asian girl and she busted up crying, asking how could he be so crude. He didn't understand and so she told him what the song meant.

Written By: ninny on 07/15/13 at 12:00 pm

According to Songfacts:
What exactly does it mean to "Wang Chung"? Maybe nothing, but perhaps there is a deep spiritual meaning rooted in ancient Buddhism. "Huang Chung" is Chinese for "Yellow Bell," and refers to what they believed was the perfect pitch for music, and a manifestation of the divine. Nick Feldman, who is half of the duo Wang Chung, once said: "Wang Chung is the feeling, not the word. It represents an abstract, an escape from pragmatic, complex ideas. Wang Chung means whatever you want it to mean. Have fun with it. That's the whole idea of the line 'Everybody Wang Chung Tonight.' It can mean a tribal dance, a Viennese waltz, a party in New York, or whatever."

Written By: Doc Brown on 07/15/13 at 12:35 pm

I'm with ninny on this, in fact Wikipedia says the band name was originally spelled "Huang Chung" exactly like the Buddhist concept, but the Hu had to be replaced with a W because early fans kept calling the band 'Hung Chung', and they didn't like the sexual connotation. For the rest of my thoughts on what it means, see my last post here.

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: ninny on 07/15/13 at 12:45 pm

I'm with ninny on this, in fact Wikipedia says the band name was originally spelled "Huang Chung" exactly like the Buddhist concept, but the Hu had to be replaced with a W because early fans kept calling the band 'Hung Chung', and they didn't like the sexual connotation. For the rest of my thoughts on what it means, see my last post here.

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Party ;D and meditate or possibly medicate while doing it.

Written By: Howard on 07/15/13 at 7:44 pm

Party ;D and meditate or possibly medicate while doing it.

Or have Chung play with your Wang.  ;D

Sorry, that wasn't funny.  ::)

Written By: The Valley Goth on 07/16/13 at 3:06 am

Like, Hi, Fer Shurr,

To "Wang Chung" is simply to "rip it up," "move it down," "rip it up," "move it down to the ground," "rip it up," "move it down," and to then "get out what's inside of you."  Make of the lyrics what you must..., but if you're with a group, you are required to "Wang Chung" TONIGHT!  Don't brag about how you did it YESTERDAY, and don't "Wang Chung" TOMORROW!  "Wang Chung" TONIGHT!  LOL! ;)
8)

Written By: Howard on 07/16/13 at 6:53 am

Ok, Let him explain it for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoXu6QmxpJE

Check for new replies or respond here...