inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Commodores "Night Shift'

Written By: Carl on 01/23/06 at 7:49 am

Heard this song on the radio coming into work this morning. This is truly a great driving tune, came out around '85 and a wonderful tribute to Marvin Gaye and Jackie Wilson who left us too soon the year before. I always caught this song towards the end, I'm glad I was finally able to listen to it in it's entirety.

Subject: Re: Commodores "Night Shift'

Written By: whistledog on 01/23/06 at 1:07 pm

I really like this song too. Did you know it was one of three songs written about Marvin Gaye?  The others were: Missing You by Diana Ross and True by Spandau Ballet :)

Written By: Carl on 01/23/06 at 1:09 pm

I really like this song too. Did you know it was one of three songs written about Marvin Gaye?  The others were: Missing You by Diana Ross and True by Spandau Ballet

Yes, I recall Spandau Ballet's song very well.

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 01/23/06 at 5:33 pm

I so love the Commodore's wonderful "Night Shift". It is a very touching song, with haunting lyrics, and it always makes me a bit sad to hear it...  :-[

Written By: Paul on 01/23/06 at 5:46 pm

When 'Nightshift' was first recorded, The Commodores (without Lionel) were very much a spent force, so Motown in the US (whether rightly or wrongly) pressed up promotional copies with no mention of the band's name on the disc so no-one in the media would be prejudiced by who it actually was...

Only when the song had gained sufficient sales potential did Motown reveal all...

A bit of a painful way of getting a hit, but sadly the band couldn't follow it up...

Written By: Nostalgic on 01/24/06 at 12:21 am

I had no idea Spandau Ballet's "True" was about Marvin Gaye! Thanks for the tidbit of info.

I also really like "Nightshift". It's probably the Commodores' best song!

Written By: whistledog on 01/24/06 at 12:26 am

I had no idea Spandau Ballet's "True" was about Marvin Gaye! Thanks for the tidbit of info.

"Listenin' to Marvin all night long"

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/24/06 at 1:36 am

I love this song!! Sad and touching.

Written By: Sammy Reed on 01/25/06 at 10:17 pm

Remember that other "Night Shift" song in the 80's by Quarterflash?!  :D

Check for new replies or respond here...