inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why exactly do you love the '80s?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/25/06 at 1:58 am

I love the '80s one because I was born in January 1990, so I'm fascinated with them, two because I love New Wave, and three because they are similar enough to today for me to relate to them, but different enough that they are dateable.  The '50s, '60s, and in some ways the '70s lack the former and the '90s lack the latter.

Subject: Re: Why exactly do you love the '80s?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/25/06 at 10:14 am

Things I love about the 80's.....

The music, some of my favorite songs come from the 80's, most of my favorite movies and T.V. shows are from the 80's, and the action figures were alot more cooler then.

Written By: McDonald on 01/25/06 at 12:06 pm

I like them because of New Wave, because all the movies they played on TV when I was young were from the 80s, ummm, I was born in '85, I like much of the music, I like the way they're portrayed in Bret Easton Ellis novels.... A lot of reasons, really.

Written By: woops on 01/25/06 at 1:55 pm

Mostly for the music  and music videos were on MTV  8)  :D

And classic cartoons (from Disney to Looney Tunes) were still on tv, with some favorites...though I wouldn't watch them now.

Written By: rich1981 on 01/25/06 at 4:00 pm

Many of the styles of music in the 80's, MTV was all about the videos back then, the relative simplicity of the technology compared to today, the movies, tv shows and cartoons but of course I love the 80's the most because I was born in 1981 so it was my childhood as well.

Written By: Banks on 01/25/06 at 10:19 pm

I love the 80's because, I guess, it is supposed to be my 'era'. I turned 16 in 1988. I remember the parties, fashions, the cars, the movies, the TV shows, the music...and it was mostly all pretty good. The 80's were my late childhood and teenage years. My favorite part of the 80's was from 1980 to April 1982, but the rest were also pretty cool, especially the music from 1980 through to 1987.

AN

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 01/25/06 at 11:07 pm

...and three because they are similar enough to today for me to relate to them, but different enough that they are dateable.  The '50s, '60s, and in some ways the '70s lack the former and the '90s lack the latter.

A very astute observation. 

Oh yeah, I like the 80s because I grew up back then.  I'm always learning something new about the 80s too, (I'm shaky on the 1980-'84 years, despite 1984 being my fav year)  there was so much about the decade, even if you were there you won't know everything.  Especially if you were a young kid back then.  :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/25/06 at 11:10 pm

the music, the cartoons, the toys, the movies, the tv shows, the styles/trends...etc. :)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/26/06 at 12:00 am

A very astute observation. 

Oh yeah, I like the 80s because I grew up back then.  I'm always learning something new about the 80s too, (I'm shaky on the 1980-'84 years, despite 1984 being my fav year)  there was so much about the decade, even if you were there you won't know everything.  Especially if you were a young kid back then.   :)

I was so proud of myself for writing the line  ;D

Seriously though, without a doubt there's plenty of stuff you can miss.  I'm not even totally clear on the early 2000s, considering from 2001-'02 to Spring/Summer '05 I stopped listening to pop radio (something I regret, I dislike most of the music but I still listen to study it, plus it's better than nothing.)

Written By: bbigd04 on 01/26/06 at 12:04 am

I was so proud of myself for writing the line  ;D

Seriously though, without a doubt there's plenty of stuff you can miss.  I'm not even totally clear on the early 2000s, considering from 2001-'02 to Spring/Summer '05 I stopped listening to pop radio (something I regret, I dislike most of the music but I still listen to study it, plus it's better than nothing.)

That's the main reason I listen to the radio today, though I like some stuff, but mainly it's so I'm aware of all of the popular music and remember it in the future.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/26/06 at 12:06 am

That's the main reason I listen to the radio today, though I like some stuff, but mainly it's so I'm aware of all of the popular music and remember it in the future.

On present radio, I like Gwen Stefani, Kelly Clarkson, All American Rejects, The Killers, Weezer, Green Day, and a couple other things.  That's about it.

Written By: whistledog on 01/26/06 at 1:46 am

The cartoons, the TV shows, the toys, but it was mostly about the music.  I love, live and breathe 80's music O0

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/26/06 at 2:31 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: bbigd04 on 01/26/06 at 2:39 am

The '80s was the greatest decade of music.  The '90s were the greatest decade of TV.  The '00s are the greatest decade of ... technology?  ;D

"The '00s are the greatest decade of ... technology?"....until the '10s, lol.

Written By: robby76 on 01/26/06 at 5:45 am

The atmosphere, the wide open spaces (depending on where you lived... ie fewer skyscrapers, superhighways etc) and playing on the streets with the neighbourhood kids.

Then of course... the toys (as Jamie mentioned, action figures were way cooler and more poseable), the tv shows, the music!

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 01/26/06 at 6:05 am

What do I exactly love about the 80's?

The music,mtv,The clothes,The tv shows,The movies,And feeling carefree.

Written By: Watcher29 on 01/26/06 at 9:54 am

I was a teenager during the 80s, so most of my best memories of school and friends were then. Whenever I get homesick, it's always the 80s I remember.

Check for new replies or respond here...