inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Television news programs in the 80s

Written By: gmann on 01/28/06 at 12:47 pm

Whilst getting ready for work Friday, I caught a segment on NBC's "Today" show marking weatherman Al Roker's tenth anniversary with the program. This got me think about watching network television news in the 80s. For me, the regulars were the "CBS Evening News" w/ Dan Rather and the aforementioned "Today", albeit the Bryant Gumbel/Jane Pauley version. Willard Scott's goofy birthday features with people celebrating their 100th birthdays were classic.  :)

Mind you, I was an oddball; how many other middle school kids did *you* know that actually watched the news?

Subject: Re: Television news programs in the 80s

Written By: whistledog on 01/28/06 at 1:59 pm

I remember watching that FOX news show "A Current Affair" with Maury Povich

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/28/06 at 7:10 pm

What about Hard Copy and Inside Edition?

Written By: whistledog on 01/28/06 at 7:15 pm

I remember Hard Copy.

Inside Edition is still on the air.  That Deborah Norville is quite a good lookin' woman :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/28/06 at 7:16 pm

Are we talking news or tabloid?

CNN Headline News started in the 80s. I remember watching that and thought it was great. I still watch it. I watched 20/20 once in a while.

There was a really good show called Our World that was about the news during a certain period of time (each week it was a different time they were covering-i.e. the summer of '72, or '76 etc.)  The problem was it was opposite the Cosby Show so no one watch it (except me who recorded it so I could watch it AFTER Cosby was over  ;D ) and it died a very early death.  :\'(

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 01/28/06 at 7:22 pm

How about 48 Hours w/ Dan Rather?

I remember when that show was just new, I saw it listed in the TV Guide and I was all excited because I thought it was a TV series re-make of the movie 48 Hrs.  It wasn't, therefore I wasn't ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/28/06 at 7:25 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: gmann on 01/28/06 at 8:57 pm

Tabloid TV at its finest, but yeah...I remember those shows. "Hard Copy" had Alan Frio, who was later replaced by Barry Nolan. I can't believe I still know this useless trivia. IIRC, "Inside Edition" originally had a British host prior to Bill O'Reilly...who later ceded his spot to Deb Norville. BTW, we've now come full circle in this thread, as Norville took Jane Pauley's spot on "Today" around 1991. From what I recall, she was *not* welcomed by critics and longtime viewers. She didn't hang around long...

Written By: gmann on 01/28/06 at 9:00 pm

There was a really good show called Our World that was about the news during a certain period of time (each week it was a different time they were covering-i.e. the summer of '72, or '76 etc.)  The problem was it was opposite the Cosby Show so no one watch it (except me who recorded it so I could watch it AFTER Cosby was over  ;D ) and it died a very early death.  :\'(

Cat

I watched that show! Wasn't it called "Our Time"? Maybe I'm wrong. It was hosted by Linda Ellerbee and a man whose named escapes me at the moment...he used to do sport features for ABC News. I remember this program because of the set they used; it was set up like a newsstand on a city street.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/29/06 at 2:04 pm

I watched that show! Wasn't it called "Our Time"? Maybe I'm wrong. It was hosted by Linda Ellerbee and a man whose named escapes me at the moment...he used to do sport features for ABC News. I remember this program because of the set they used; it was set up like a newsstand on a city street.

The used to advertise it as "Our World: It's about time" so I think that is where you are getting confused with the "Our Time". And yes, it was Linda Ellerbee and Ray Gandolf.  And it did look like a newsstand.

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0090497/

Not much info there. But I think somewhere I have a copy of an episode. I liked it so much that I never recorded over it. But for the life of me, I have no idea where it is.

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...