inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Obscure 1980s US TV shows

Written By: jimmysherriff on 01/30/06 at 12:16 pm

Two of them  I can remember fairly well was the one that was called Mr Smith. It was about a Orang-utan who developed huiman intelligence through a scientific experiment and became an esteemed member of the American middle-class society. The other one was The Greatest American Hero (if memory serves me rightly) where this weedy curly blonde-haired teacher gains a super-hero costume from an extraterrestrial spacecraft that gives him similar powers of Superman. I also remember another show that was shown here in the United Kingdom back in 1986 which was called Otherworlds.
Does anyone else remember these shows?

Subject: Re: Obscure 1980s US TV shows

Written By: whistledog on 01/30/06 at 12:21 pm

I remember The Greatest American Hero.  Who doesn't?

Bu I can say as I know of the other one

Written By: gmann on 01/30/06 at 1:18 pm

During its relatively short run, "The Greatest American Hero" was a regular on my folks' TV. I still have a hard time getting that show's theme out of my head when I hear it.

Here's an obscure show for ya: Anybody remember "The People Next Door"? It debuted on CBS during the 1989-90 season, featuring Jeffrey Jones as a widower cartoonist with the ability to make his imaginative creations come to life. Visually, it was interesting, but for whatever reason did not get the ratings CBS was hoping for and was cancelled before the end of the season. 

Written By: Watcher29 on 01/30/06 at 3:57 pm

I remember "Mr. Smith", but I don't remember "The People Next Door"

Written By: STAR70 on 01/30/06 at 4:57 pm

the Orangutan actually had his own 800 number. You could call up and get a different recorded message every day.

Written By: spaceace on 01/31/06 at 12:51 pm

Does anyone remember the show "Small Wonder"?  About a 10 year old robot named Vickie?

Written By: whistledog on 01/31/06 at 1:08 pm

Does anyone remember the show "Small Wonder"?  About a 10 year old robot named Vickie?

I do, but it wasn't Vickie, it was V.I.C.I. which stood for "Voice Input Child Indenticant" :P

I really liked Small Wonder, although I hated that pig tail neighhour Harriet. God, I wanted to slap her so bad.  ;D

Written By: spaceace on 01/31/06 at 1:16 pm

Oh yeah, didn't the obnoxious red head cameo on a few 80's kids shows?  It's so nice to know someone else liked that show too. ;D

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 01/31/06 at 9:45 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: Skippy(not signed in) on 02/01/06 at 1:15 am

Wasn't there a very short-lived show about a family from or in space?

Written By: robby76 on 02/01/06 at 4:08 am

I loved "Mr Smith". I have an episode on video taped from the 80's where he tries to get fit and he hides Snickers bars in empty books. Great show! In fact I voted for it on www.tvshowsondvd.com where your votes wil be heard by people in the know!

Voyagers was cool, Small Wonder I loved... and Harriet was hilarious... and her mum... "No, n' n' no no no".

Written By: Banks on 02/01/06 at 4:23 am

Maybe youu guys could help me...

I remember a VERY obscure TV show from around 1987 here in Australia (so it was aired sometime before that in the USA) abouut a family who fall (somehow) into a lake. They all get sucked under and end up 'surfacing' in an alternate world where the military have taken over. It was semi futuristic/science fiction. The family become wanted by the law and move from town to town surviving doing odd jobs. I think there were 4 or 5 menbers of the family, one of which was a baby (no older than 18 months), there was an older teenage girl and a pubescent boy of around 13.

Can anyone give me the name of the show as I can not remember its name.?

Thanks

AN

Written By: SweetAlice on 02/01/06 at 10:54 am

That was a weird show! I used to catch it on the weekends, and I would watch only for the annoy-factor. That show rates right up there with Charles in Charge.  bad bad bad

Written By: KKay on 02/01/06 at 12:33 pm

Can an Australian identify for me a tv show that was aired here briefly in the states (like 3AM) about a bunch of guys that worked in an auto repair shop?  My favorite eposide was the one where the car being repaired had a snake inside...it was really funny for me at the time.
Any ideas?
In the mean time I"ll try and think of your semi futuristic/sci fi show...

Written By: Banks on 02/01/06 at 5:37 pm

Can an Australian identify for me a tv show that was aired here briefly in the states (like 3AM) about a bunch of guys that worked in an auto repair shop?  My favorite eposide was the one where the car being repaired had a snake inside...it was really funny for me at the time.
Any ideas?

Hey!!! That show sounds VERY VERY familiar to me...

Ill try to do a search for you...If that fails, Ill dig through my TV Week collection. Can you remember around what year it was shown in the USA? Or even better, the production year??? (I know that most people dont pay attention to the year of production though).

AN

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/01/06 at 6:17 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: KKay on 02/06/06 at 8:26 am

Hey!!! That show sounds VERY VERY familiar to me...

Ill try to do a search for you...If that fails, Ill dig through my TV Week collection. Can you remember around what year it was shown in the USA? Or even better, the production year??? (I know that most people dont pay attention to the year of production though).

AN

Sorry for the delay- I was out of town....The Australian show?  was watching it in the late 80s I think.  Not around Paul Hogan time, but after that.  maybe 1990...

Written By: Cafe80s on 02/06/06 at 9:27 am

Any ideas?

I'm from Australia & you know what, i know the show you are talking about, but you're gonna hate me for this, but i can't for the life of me remember the name of the show either. Which doesn't help much seeing as i don't know how i'd go about looking it up or finding out the name since the name is usually needed to find these things.It's a catch 22 really.

Written By: KKay on 02/06/06 at 12:09 pm

I'm from Australia & you know what, i know the show you are talking about, but you're gonna hate me for this, but i can't for the life of me remember the name of the show either. Which doesn't help much seeing as i don't know how i'd go about looking it up or finding out the name since the name is usually needed to find these things.It's a catch 22 really.

ahhh!
Well, thanks for trying anyway.  I think the name of the show was the name of the garage they worked in. I have to do some research my self. I f I find it, I'll let you know.
Ta!

Written By: Cafe80s on 02/07/06 at 9:26 am

One obscure Australian show i do remember is one called Home Sweet Home about an Italian migrant family living in Australia. The main character's name was Enzo Pacheli(spelling?). It was a comedy & remember it was really funny, cause i used to laugh a lot when i watched it. I don't think it aired overseas & it only lasted a year or so.

Written By: Cafe80s on 02/07/06 at 10:40 am

How about the show Mr Belvedere from 1988 or 1989. I twas about a butler from what i vaguely remember.

Check for new replies or respond here...