inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Thriller...What, in your opinion, did it do culturally?

Written By: Banks on 01/30/06 at 9:08 pm

Okay...Being an Michael Jackson fan I have a biased view of the impact that his Thriller album actually had on pop culture in the Western World.

I see the album as a corner stone. Especially in the music industry, there was the time before Thriller and then there was the time after Thriller.

Now, I want to know if other people who are NOT Michael Jackson fans think the same way as myself (MJ fans can also respond).

Did Thriller change the music industry?

Did Thriller have that much of an effect upon the music video and the growing industry at the time?

Did Thriller and its music videos have an effect upon fashion?

What else, if anything, did Thriller change or effect in pop culture?

Did it have much of an affect on you?

Thanks

AN

Subject: Re: Thriller...What, in your opinion, did it do culturally?

Written By: whistledog on 01/30/06 at 9:14 pm

"Thriller" was a commonly used phrase in those days.  The album had 7 top 10 hits.  If an artist had an album with like 3 hits, the critics would be like "Well, it's a good album, but it's no Thriller"  ::)

The Thriller album was good, but it's not as good as the world hypes it up to be.  I think Springsteen's Born in the USA was better.  It also had 7 top 10 hits

Written By: woops on 02/01/06 at 3:53 pm

As for music videos, probably the first to make the long form music videos popular  :)

Personally, I like "Beat It" better.

A good album, though agree with the last poster that it wasn't as good as it was overhyped. I like other albums, though many may not have been huge like "Thriller"...

Written By: Watcher29 on 02/01/06 at 4:07 pm

Sold a lot of records. That's about it, far as I'm concerned.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/01/06 at 4:32 pm

Thriller made the Moonwalk popular, and brought on the '80s further.

Written By: Banks on 02/01/06 at 5:10 pm

Thanks for the relies so far!!!

Personally, while I think Thriller had a pretty big impact, I dont think its his best album, and I dont think it should be in the top 5 best albums of the 80's. Personally I prefered his Off The Wall album more.

There were better albums, but Thriller sold an unprecedented amount, and almost single handedly brought the music industry out of its slump.

This changed the way record companies viewed their talent and what they were looking for. Everyone tried to make the next 'Thriller' album. Record companies took greater control over their product and artists, and for a very long time, unless you looked and sounded like you would sell a LOT of records, you had little to no chance of landing a record deal.

So, in my opinion, Thriller was good for the record industry in that it brought it out of a massive slump, but it was a double edged sword because many artists and performers who were seen as 'alternative' didnt ge a look in. So wgike music flourished, artistic integrity faultered.

AN

Check for new replies or respond here...