inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Who here, was in the S.F. '89 earthquake?

Written By: Dan78 on 01/31/06 at 6:41 pm

I was in the Bay Area in the '89 quake, 50-60 miles south of San Francisco, in Morgan Hill. It was sure strong, I guess I should consider my self lucky! I was amazed that we still had electricity, and working water! We had aftershocks all the way through December of '89!

I can remember one classmate, back in high school, saying that he slept through the whole thing!  :o

Subject: Re: Who here, was in the S.F. '89 earthquake?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/01/06 at 12:53 am

Born January 16, 1990, in San Francisco, so my mom was pregnant with me.  So technically I was there.

Were they still cleaning up from it in early 1990?

Written By: livinonthe80s on 02/01/06 at 3:43 am

I would have been almost in the middle of it, in San Leandro next to Oakland.  Fortunately I went back to Hawaii to visit home.  Kinda spooky thinking about the 880 double decker freeway and how I drove on it often. 
I still remember on a seperate occassion in the early morning still sleeping when about 2-3 small tremors rocked my bed as if someone was just shaking it.

Written By: Gis on 02/01/06 at 6:16 am

I was backpacking round America at the time and left San Fran 2 days before it happened. My poor parents were having fits because they couldn't get hold of me and thought I was still there !

Written By: Kryllith on 02/01/06 at 9:52 am

I was living in Ventura at the time. We got very minor stuff down south from it (though I was also still living down there when there was a large (7.0-7.2? somebody help me out) quake down near San Bernadino in the early 90). My step-father was up in San Fran for the quake on a business trip, so we got a number of first hand accounts from him what it was like.

Kryllith

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 02/01/06 at 1:24 pm

I was many thousands of miles away at the time, but my brother was in it!  :o

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 02/01/06 at 3:51 pm

I was 13 I didn't see what happend but FYI there was a world series game was going on

Written By: ADH13 on 02/01/06 at 3:54 pm

I was in San Jose, so I definitely felt it!!

Written By: Banks on 02/01/06 at 5:18 pm

I have a 3 hour VHS tape full of the '89 S.F earthquake. Unfortunately, the tape casing has been broken since and I have been lazy in getting it fixed.

Living in Australia I can only go by what I saw on the news, and it was very bad.

Just for your interest, here in Newcastle Australia we had an earthquake at 10.28 am on December 28th 1989. It was Australia's first fatal earthquake and registered 5.5 on the Richter (Sp?) Scale. It caused a fair amount of damage, the Newcastle workers club collapsed and killed a number of people and a few people died in Lambton (a suburb of Newcastle) when the shop awnings collapsed into the street. A number of houses were destroyed (my Dads being one of them). Still, it was mot very big by S.F standards, but still big for Australia.

AN

Written By: rip_jeans on 02/02/06 at 12:34 am

I was living in Ventura at the time. We got very minor stuff down south from it (though I was also still living down there when there was a large (7.0-7.2? somebody help me out) quake down near San Bernadino in the early 90). My step-father was up in San Fran for the quake on a business trip, so we got a number of first hand accounts from him what it was like.

Kryllith

June 1992 - Landers Earthquake - 7.6 ( I recall 2 of that size about 3 days apart from each other ) near Palm Springs. I live near the beach and still felt a very strong quake!

Were you still in SoCal in January 1994 for the Northridge's 6.7? This is the biggest tremblor I have ever felt in my life and I was still over 50 miles away from the epicenter! Even bigger than the Whittier quake (5.9)  of October 1987 which is only 20 miles away from I live.

Written By: ragebass on 02/02/06 at 2:57 am

I was living in Santa Barbara so we didn't feel it but I remember driving home so I can watch the World Series and when I turned on the TV they were broadcasting an episode of "Roseanne". I looked at my wife and said "What the hell is going on?" Then they returned to the ballpark and started talking about the earthquake and showing  some of the panic and then the footage of the collapsed freeway. Then I was in shock and felt like an ass for complaining. I also remember people were saying that the Series may have saved of bunch of  lives because the quake hit at was usually afterwork rush hour but so many people had left work early to get home or to the game itself that there were very few people on the that freeway at that time.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/02/06 at 2:28 pm

I was in Greece at the time and didn't even HEAR about until I got home (missed most of the news of that year). But, we were having our own earthquakes. It seems like we were having tremors almost every day and one time there was a 5.8-not as big as the one in S.F. but we were about 20 miles from the epicenter and REALLY felt it.

Cat

Written By: Erick on 02/03/06 at 12:23 am

I was only a year old when it happen.

Written By: nally on 02/03/06 at 12:28 am

I was 9 years old when it happen. I was nowhere near where the quake was felt (I lived in Los Angeles, over 400 miles away from SF, so no way could I feel it); I only remember hearing about it on the news. As a result, Game Three of the World Series (between the Oakland A's and SF Giants) had to be postponed; I forget when it was finally made up, but the A's wound up sweeping the series 4 games to none.

Written By: whistledog on 02/03/06 at 12:34 am

You can watch the actual footage of when the quake hit the World Series ...

http://www.exploratorium.edu/faultline/loma_prieta/worldseries-kgo.html

Written By: danootaandme on 02/03/06 at 5:54 am

My sister was in it.  Luckily her building wasn't affected, but the building next door had all its windows blown out.
She was at work when it happened.  After it stopped she got in line at the phone booth(very few had cel phones
then).  She said everyone was very civil and orderly.  Each person made one call, and didn't go beyong the three minute
limit, most shorter because so many people in line to call home.

Written By: STAR70 on 02/03/06 at 5:12 pm

[quote author=whis

Check for new replies or respond here...