inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Smash hits magazine to finish

Written By: karen on 02/02/06 at 8:27 am

Just read on the bbc site that they are going to stop publishing Smash Hits magazine.  http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4673136.stm

This was essential reading in the 80s in the UK.  I used to cut out the song lyrics of my favourites so I could learn them.  I only threw the folder away when I left home!

Subject: Re: Smash hits magazine to finish

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 02/02/06 at 3:12 pm

That's sad to hear. They stopped printing the American version, Star Hits well over a decade ago. I used to love receiving copies of both the UK and Australian versions of Smash Hits from my overseas penpals as a kid!!!

Written By: whistledog on 02/02/06 at 3:16 pm

This is sad indeed.  I like watching those "Smash Hits Poll Winners Party" concerts that they air on TV.  Since I love alot of that cheesy Britisih pop stuff, I always enjoy watching those concerts :)

Written By: Banks on 02/03/06 at 4:42 am

That is a bummer to hear.

Here in Australia, Smash Hits magazine is still going strong I believe. I stopped buying the magazine back in 1992. It was around the time that Australian Smash Hits started releasing VHS vVideo Magazines. I have the first two of these in mint condition. I also still have every single Smash Hits magazine fully intact from when the Australian one first started (I think around 1983/84) up to 1992. I used to buy two of each magazine and put one away. God, Ive not thought about them in years. Theyre still at my Mums, stored away in garbage liners inside large fruit boxes at the top of my old wardrobe.

AN

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 02/04/06 at 2:38 am

Thats sad news Karen - you are so right - they were essential reading for us back then - especially if we wanted lyrics !!!

I still have most of my UK and Aus ones from the 80s. If they featured a fave band I always bought 2 copies so one could be cut up to be posters etc !!

Check for new replies or respond here...