inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Saturday Night Live in the 80's

Written By: Dan78 on 02/05/06 at 10:01 pm

In the summer of '85 my dad had bought a C-band satellite dish (huge 12-foot dish) so we could get lots of channels since we didn't have cable.
I really don't have too many memories of SNL in '85, but more in '87. I remember the "Church Lady" skit, Dennis Miller doing the "Weekend Update" and other funny skits. Those years was the time when it was really funny. Anybody remember G.E. Smith and The Saturday Night Live Band? It was a great band.

Subject: Re: Saturday Night Live in the 80's

Written By: woops on 02/06/06 at 1:42 am

"Church Lady" sketches were funny "Isn't That Special"

From the early '80's, I liked Eddie Murphy's "Gumby" and Velvet Jones skits.

Later (some early '90's): Hanz & Franz, Church Chat, Toonces the cat, Deiter (sp), Wayne's World, The "Obsession" perfume parody, and others...

Bought a DVD with several sketched and music performances from 1985 to 1990 that featured the Dana Carvey sketch where he plays a rocker singing about broccoli and the "Sinatra Group" with Phil Hartman as Sinatra along with other artists like Luther Campbell and Sinead O'Connor. The Bangles (Hazy Shade Of Winter), Elivis Costello (Veronica), and Sting (We'll Be Together) were OK, but could've added more.  8)  :D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/06/06 at 12:09 pm

It's my favorite period for Saturday Night Live, other than the 90's.

Written By: whistledog on 02/06/06 at 8:17 pm

Remember when Joe Piscopo played Curly Joe in a sketch that had The Three Stooges teaching a karate class?  As the scene goes on, Piscopo's pants fell down, and by the look on the cast members faces, that wasn't actually s'posed to happen ;D

Written By: gmann on 02/07/06 at 7:33 am

I was first introduced to SNL in the 80s, so I have fond memories of Dana Carvey, Phil Hartman, Jon Lovitz and other castmembers of that period. The first show I can recall seeing was in '87 with guest host Dennis Hopper and Roy Orbison as the musical guest. 

Written By: Born to Rebel on 02/08/06 at 12:00 am

Mr. Bill, Rich Hall spoofing Talking Heads and doing SNL News, Gumby dammit, Mr. Robinson's Neighborhood, Joe Piscopo doing SNL Sports......

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 02/08/06 at 7:23 pm

Now I'm thinking of Eddie Murphy as James Brown.."In a HOT TUB! OH YEAH! HOT TUB!"

Check for new replies or respond here...