inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Divine (Shoot your shot, baby!)

Written By: FaultyDog on 02/08/06 at 3:23 pm

For those of you who don't know: Divine was born Harris Glenn Milstead on October 19, 1945. He was a drag queen star in several movies, and subsequently started a music career. Bobby Orlando (1979 - 1983) and Pete Waterman (1984 onward) were his producers.
Milstead got general approval for his role in "Hair Spray", his first non-drag role. As a result he was granted a role in the TV series "Married With Children", where he was to play the part of Uncle Otto. He failed to show up on his first appearance in the series, and was found dead the same day. He had died of respiratory problems (believed to be caused by his weight) . It was March 7, 1988.

http://www.stars-on-7-inch.com/index_d/divine/SHOOT.JPG

Some Divine trivia:

+ Shoot Your Shot got the gold status in The Netherlands (over 100,000 copies sold).
+ Cha Cha Heels, recorded by Eartha Kitt, was actually written for Divine but he never recorded the song.

Subject: Re: Divine (Shoot your shot, baby!)

Written By: FaultyDog on 02/08/06 at 3:28 pm

I picked "Shoot Your Shot" (his most successful song), "Love Reaction" (not because of the * ahem * elaborate lyrics, but because of the clever use of the New Order song "Blue Monday") and "You Think You're A Man" (...but you're only a boy).

Written By: karen on 02/09/06 at 4:50 am

Boy George was on TV earlier this week and choose Divine on Top of the Pops singing You Think You're a Man to be on his list of TV's Queerest Moments.

This one and Walk Like a Man are the only two Divine songs I know.

Written By: whistledog on 02/09/06 at 12:10 pm

"You think you're a man, but you're only a boy"

Some classic dance music O0

Written By: NozmoKing on 02/09/06 at 9:43 pm

Im So Beautiful is the only song I ever heard by Divine, also I think I have it on video.

I think it was the movie "Female Trouble" that Edith Massey was in. I have a version of her singing "Big Girls Dont Cry"

NozmoKing

Written By: Xcess-N-Htown on 02/12/06 at 1:03 pm

Native love was my fave.  I think he would have been a great addition to the Married with Children show.  Too bad!

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/12/06 at 1:15 pm

I love Divine, particularly his part in Pink Flamingos!

Written By: Paul on 02/12/06 at 4:57 pm

Boy George was on TV earlier this week and choose Divine on Top of the Pops singing You Think You're a Man to be on his list of TV's Queerest Moments.

Heh! I remember that appearance...totally outrageous, even for '84!

My pick...'Native Love', a completely 'typical' Hi-NRG song, but full of action! I first got hold of it as part of a double pack 12" of 'Walk Like A Man' (if anyone's interested!)

Check for new replies or respond here...