inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: McPizza?

Written By: Slater on 02/08/06 at 8:54 pm

I'm not sure if this was a regional thing or something to that effect, but does anyone remember this (apparently) failed McDonald's item from the mid-1980's timeframe? Basically a mini-pizza that was available on their regular menu. I don't think it lasted all that long (at least in Nevada).

Subject: Re: McPizza?

Written By: whistledog on 02/08/06 at 9:25 pm

It didn't last all that long here in Ontario (atleast here in my city and surrounding cities).  I didn't mind their Pizza, but it wouldn't have ever been my first choice for Pizza

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/08/06 at 9:43 pm

wow, I totally don't remember this...maybe it wasn't a thing around this area...I dunno.

Written By: whistledog on 02/08/06 at 9:53 pm

wow, I totally don't remember this...maybe it wasn't a thing around this area...I dunno.

You didn't miss much.  Most people will tell you that the box the Pizza came in tasted better than the Pizza itself ;D

Written By: nondiva234 on 02/08/06 at 10:51 pm

I vividly remember eating them at Mickey Dees. They were bark-tasting. I liked them, but mind you, that was when I was little, and I was unusual for not being picky with food.

Written By: star500 on 02/09/06 at 10:24 am

I used to eat them as part of the Happy Meal as a kid. The pizza happy meal was my favorite as a kid :). I didn't really like the hamburger, chicken nuggets or the cheeseburger Happy Meal.

While were on the topic, does anyone remember McDonalds pies and McFlurries? I know they still have the pies, I eat the apple one almost everytime I go there but I'm not sure about McFlurries. I haven't seen one since I was 9 years old.

Written By: Trimac20 on 02/09/06 at 10:55 am

Too ambitious even for McDonalds if you ask me...it's like Microsoft trying to sell MP3 players to complete with the Apple ipods...

Written By: Trimac20 on 02/09/06 at 10:56 am

We have McFlurries here in Australia...had em since about 2000ish when they were a temporary item but now they're permanent.

Written By: harleytexas on 02/09/06 at 2:07 pm

I lived in Ontario and we had pizza until around 7 years ago and there was no warning when they took it off the menu. Some people really enjoyed them. They were fresh made at first, but people couldn't wait the few minutes it took, so they brought in frozen ones to speed things up. I believe that they still may sell pizza at the Skydome in Toronto.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/09/06 at 2:12 pm

I don't remember the McPizza.......I don't know if they were big around where I grew up.

Written By: whistledog on 02/09/06 at 2:55 pm

McPizza gives you the Mcѕhits ;D

Written By: lorac614 on 02/09/06 at 6:08 pm

Wow, I guess my McDonalds is the only one that still has pizza on the menu, also hotdogs.  I never get either of those items.

Written By: Classie83 on 02/09/06 at 7:46 pm

I used to eat them as part of the Happy Meal as a kid. The pizza happy meal was my favorite as a kid :). I didn't really like the hamburger, chicken nuggets or the cheeseburger Happy Meal.

While were on the topic, does anyone remember McDonalds pies and McFlurries? I know they still have the pies, I eat the apple one almost everytime I go there but I'm not sure about McFlurries. I haven't seen one since I was 9 years old.

They still have McFlurries!  ;)

Written By: Webstor on 02/09/06 at 8:43 pm

I remember the McPizza.....

McDonalds Corp. owns a chain of Pizza restaurants also.....called Donato's Pizza.

If anything...thats what has become of the McPizza....

They also own Chipotle'..which does burritos and mexican...

Written By: whistledog on 02/09/06 at 9:01 pm

Wow, I guess my McDonalds is the only one that still has pizza on the menu, also hotdogs.  I never get either of those items.

Hot Dogs? :o

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/09/06 at 10:59 pm

It lasted about as long as the McDLT and the McRib.  ::)  ;D

Written By: Lisa on 02/10/06 at 2:49 am

Ya I remember the McPizza, and I used to quite enjoy them.  I actually kinda miss them.  Also, there is still McFlurries around here.  But as for the hotdogs....never heard of them.  Bring back the McPizza!!!!

Written By: SpaceHog on 02/10/06 at 7:21 am

When I went to a McDonalds in Clarkes Harbour, Nova Scotia, they had Scallops and Fries.

Written By: Watcher29 on 02/10/06 at 1:02 pm

Never tried it. Doesn't sound like I was missing much. :P

Written By: lorac614 on 02/10/06 at 3:25 pm

The McRib is still around, not all the time but I see it advertised on T.V. every now and then.

Written By: Slater on 02/10/06 at 4:05 pm

According to one article I read, McNuggetts was McDonalds last real success story. That was back in 1982 or so.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/10/06 at 5:30 pm

The McRib is still around, not all the time but I see it advertised on T.V. every now and then.

Intersting, I haven't heard anything off hand.

Written By: whistledog on 02/10/06 at 5:32 pm

I remember the McDLT.  You had to assemble those things yourself.  It came in a two side styrofoam container.  The right side had the bottom bun and the meat. The other side had the top bun, and the lettuce.  You assembled it yourself, and then put your fries in the empty side of the container which naturally said "Put your fries here" ;D

Written By: star500 on 02/10/06 at 8:51 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: bloodmoney on 02/14/06 at 5:35 pm

anyone remember the McLean or the low fat shakes? i think the mclean was made with seaweed. it was supposed to be low fat or something. the 90's had the arch deluxe.

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 02/14/06 at 11:57 pm

I dont remember Mcpizza in the 80's, but here in central California Mcdonalds had it in mid 1993, and also had hot dogs and cheese nachos. Didnt eat the hot dogs or nachos, but the pizza was horrible. Even worse than Little Caesars, if thats possible.

In my opinion, the McDLT was the best burger they ever had! :D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/15/06 at 12:47 am

Never heard of McPizza, but  I have heard of cup o' pizza in The Jerk with Steve Martin and in scouring the net, came upon Konopizza, mainly in Russia and Europe, but has not hit the West as of yet.  http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c235/badfingermike/konopizza.jpg

Written By: Jewel on 02/16/06 at 12:40 am

OMG! I remember that pizza except they had it here in Ontario in the early 90s. I wasn't too impressed with it.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/16/06 at 2:22 am

OMG! I remember that pizza except they had it here in Ontario in the early 90s. I wasn't too impressed with it.
you had it where you're at?  thats cool, but yeah, it really isn't too appetizing to look at, I'd rather have a big honkin' slice.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/16/06 at 11:11 am

They actually take the McRib totally off the menu every once in a while for like a year then bring it back and do it again ???

Written By: Joey Diggs on 07/12/09 at 3:49 am

Delicious 1990s pizza that addicts still crave for to this day. Why did it die? No, it wasn't bland - in fact it had a spicy sauce...and that was it's downfall.

McPizza used a special oven and special dough and special sauce - it was a marvel. Everything was scientifically tested to bring the hottest, spiciest and freshest tasting pizza you could imagine. Americans (and particularly Canadians) were not prepared for this spicy pizza, which sometimes took 20 minutes to make. It was fudgeing delicious, hot and spicy and greatly missed by those few that had the chance to eat it.

Written By: whistledog on 07/12/09 at 4:30 pm

Delicious 1990s pizza that addicts still crave for to this day

http://a1.vox.com/6a00bf76d0a9b7438300fa968271c10003-500pi

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/13/09 at 1:01 am

McPizza gives you the Mcѕhits ;D

That sums it up.  I seem to remember it opening and closing the same night or something.  I mean, the stuff just made people feel downright suspicious. 

I love how Mickie D's sells donuts now.  Hey, you want some fat and sugar with your...fat and sugar?
8-P

Written By: Ashkicksass on 07/13/09 at 9:23 am

My dad was all about the McPizza.  He used to get it all the time.  I never tried it though.

Written By: Frank on 07/13/09 at 12:49 pm

I liked the McPizza, many here in Canada wondereed why it was taken off the McDonalds menu.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/13/09 at 7:48 pm

It was blah....

Written By: whistledog on 07/13/09 at 8:15 pm

I actually did wonder why they removed it from their menu.  I knew it was moderately popular.  It wasn't bad Pizza, but it would never be a first choice for me when I craved Pizza.

It's like when McDonald's decided to sell Poutine, lots of people complained because you couldn't order a side of Gravy with your Fries.  You could only get it with the poutine and it was still the same price if you chose not to get the curd.  I nearly got in an argument with a McDonalds manager over that

Written By: Claybricks on 07/13/09 at 9:32 pm

http://timecuriouscapitalist.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/mcrib.jpg

http://blogs.citypages.com/food/mcribwide.jpg

McDonalds also sold a McRib sandwich in the 80's in Atlanta, GA.

Dan

Written By: Stinkyy on 08/16/09 at 11:30 am

Still waiting for McPizza to be debuted!  >:(  You mean... oh, no...

Did anyone else learn to use chopsticks with teriyaki McNuggets in the 80s?

Check for new replies or respond here...