inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: covers 80s songs you can't stand

Written By: 80s Child on 02/09/06 at 1:47 am

lots of today artists cover 80's songs which ones do you hate?

i dont like that dance roxette listen to your heart thats on the radio.  dont mess with a classic

Subject: Re: covers 80s songs you can't stand

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/09/06 at 1:58 am

i dont like that dance roxette listen to your heart thats on the radio.  dont mess with a classic

I'm glad they remade it, but why is electronica so stuck in the '90s?

Written By: livinonthe80s on 02/09/06 at 2:00 am

Take on Me by Reel Big Fish- They really F'd it up!!! >:(

Written By: whistledog on 02/09/06 at 2:19 am

One I didn't like was "Best Years of Our Lives" by Baha Men which featured in the movie Shrek.  I just like the original so much, I can't see anyone else doing that song

Another horrible one is "Word Up" by Korn

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/09/06 at 2:20 am

When Jessica Simpson covered "Take My Breath Away", I could feel blood running out of my ears.

Oh yeah, Puff Crappy covering "Every Breath You Take" sucked ass too. 

Written By: SpaceHog on 02/09/06 at 7:07 am

I dont think he covered it, he made a whole new song, I think its about Tupac(Who doesn't live anymore, so dont keep saying that he's alive.) he used the same base as Every breath I take.

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 02/09/06 at 8:48 am

Marylin Manson's "Sweet Dreams" (Eurythmics cover) is pretty hideous. I dunno who was responsible for the dancey cover of Don Henley's "Boys Of Summer", but it near put me off the song. >:(

Written By: Tia on 02/09/06 at 9:45 am

Did anybody complain about the hilary daft remake of "our lips are sealed" yet? if not, allow me to do so. Sounds just like the original, only totally lifeless.

Dittoes on the sweet dreams cover. dubbleyewtee-eff?

Written By: nally on 02/09/06 at 9:47 am

Did anybody complain about the hilary daft remake of "our lips are sealed" yet? if not, allow me to do so. Sounds just like the original, only totally lifeless.

Dittoes on the sweet dreams cover. dubbleyewtee-eff?

I certainly complain about the Duff sisters' remake of that song. It stinks! >:( :P I cannot listen to even three seconds of it.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/09/06 at 9:52 am

I dont think he covered it, he made a whole new song, I think its about Tupac(Who doesn't live anymore, so dont keep saying that he's alive.) he used the same base as Every breath I take.

Actually it's for the Notorious B.I.G. and possibly also Tupac.

Written By: nally on 02/09/06 at 12:05 pm

Adding to my list of 80s song covers I cannot stand:

"Listen To Your Heart" originally by Roxette (1989), covered last year by DHT...i'm with you, guest; Don't mess with a classic! >:(

"Heaven" originally by Bryan Adams (1985), covered in 2002 by Dj Sammy. Hearing that one makes me wanna PUKE! :P

"It's my life" originally by Talk Talk (1983), covered in 2003 by No Doubt. They ruined it.

I'll think of more later.

Actually it's for the Notorious B.I.G. and possibly also Tupac.

Puff Daddy (as he was then known) performed it and wrote the new lyrics for Notorious B.I.G. And that's a sample, not a cover.

Written By: whistledog on 02/09/06 at 12:06 pm

I dunno who was responsible for the dancey cover of Don Henley's "Boys Of Summer", but it near put me off the song. >:(

That would be DJ Sammy

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/09/06 at 12:14 pm

"Listen To Your Heart" originally by Roxette (1989), covered last year by DHT...i'm with you, guest; Don't mess with a classic! >:(

"Heaven" originally by Bryan Adams (1985), covered in 2002 by Dj Sammy. Hearing that one makes me wanna PUKE! :P

"It's my life" originally by Talk Talk (1983), covered in 2003 by No Doubt. They ruined it.

I'll think of more later.
Puff Daddy (as he was then known) performed it and wrote the new lyrics for Notorious B.I.G. And that's a sample, not a cover.

Actually, No Doubt/Gwen IMO has the right to cover '80s songs.  They have the spirit  8)

The Ataris did a good "Boys of Summer" cover.

Written By: nally on 02/09/06 at 12:37 pm

Actually, No Doubt/Gwen IMO has the right to cover '80s songs.  They have the spirit  8)

The Ataris did a good "Boys of Summer" cover.

I thought both of those were okay for a while...but I don't like to see --- I mean hear --- good songs messed up. :-\\

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/09/06 at 12:43 pm

I thought both of those were okay for a while...but I don't like to see --- I mean hear --- good songs messed up. :-\\

Covering songs is pretty dumb.

Although in both cases, I saw them as tributes to the '80s rather than simply capitalizing off '80s nostalgia.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/09/06 at 1:03 pm

I actually think they did a good job of it. 

Written By: nally on 02/09/06 at 3:30 pm

I actually think they did a good job of it. 

I thought that too, for a while when it first came out...but after it got way overplayed I began to get sick of it.

Written By: Classie83 on 02/09/06 at 7:49 pm

My Perogative by Bobby Brown (covered by Britney Spears)

Smooth Criminal by MJ (covered by Alien Ant Farm I believe)...

Written By: Classie83 on 02/09/06 at 7:51 pm

Yeah, he didn't really cover it. Just used a sample and flipped the words....Anyway, it was about Biggie (Christopher Wallace, the Notorious B.I.G.)

Written By: Cafe80s on 02/12/06 at 9:43 pm

Anything 80s that gets covered nowadays really, particularily 80s pop songs done by Nu-metal bands like Tears For Fears' Shout done by Disturbed.  But people like Britney Spears etc destoying them is probably the worst of it along with rappers using samples from 80s tunes in their songs. As far as i'm concerend all these people are doing the music a dis-service & bastardising it.

Written By: Tia on 02/12/06 at 9:55 pm

Anything 80s that gets covered nowadays really, particularily 80s pop songs done by Nu-metal bands like Tears For Fears' Shout done by Disturbed.  But people like Britney Spears etc destoying them is probably the worst of it along with rappers using samples from 80s tunes in their songs. As far as i'm concerend all these people are doing the music a dis-service & bastardising it.
is nu-metal like korn and limp bizkit and system of a down and stuff like that?

Written By: Cafe80s on 02/12/06 at 10:17 pm

is nu-metal like korn and limp bizkit and system of a down and stuff like that?

Pretty much, although Limp Bizkit is so lame & disneycore i don't know if you could even call it that, i don't know what you'd call them. Maybe pop would be more fitting.

Written By: Tia on 02/12/06 at 10:21 pm

disneycore! lol.

in my new band we do a korn song and a linkin park song. kinda got to pay the rent before you can do the older stuff.

Written By: 80sforever on 02/13/06 at 12:10 am

Worst remake was Crowded House's Don't Dream It's Over redone by Sixpence None the Richer :P

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/13/06 at 1:19 am

Oh yeah, those were sucky.

Here's another couple I thought of:

In Your Eyes by Peter Gabriel (remade by Ben Harper)

In the Air Tonight by Phil Collins (remade by Nonpoint, 2 Pac, Lil Kim, DMX)

Written By: woops on 02/13/06 at 12:43 pm

Hillary Duff & Haylie Duff "Our Lips Are Sealed"  :P

Written By: Tia on 02/13/06 at 12:51 pm

yes, it sucks. we used to do that song, the gogos version.

Written By: nally on 02/13/06 at 4:17 pm

yes, it sucks.

Agreed. :P http://www.conceptart.org/forums/images/smilies/puke.gif

As a bit of trivial information, neither one of them was alive when the Go-Go's originally performed it. ::)

Written By: Tia on 02/13/06 at 4:32 pm

it's funny because it's very similar to the original, the remake. i don't really know what's different, it's just like all the life got processed out of it. it's really weird.

it's all the worse because that really is one of my favorite songs going.

Written By: nally on 02/15/06 at 4:29 pm

it's funny because it's very similar to the original, the remake. i don't really know what's different, it's just like all the life got processed out of it. it's really weird.

it's all the worse because that really is one of my favorite songs going.

Are you talking about "Our Lips Are Sealed"?

Written By: Schillingfan on 02/15/06 at 9:40 pm

Major Tom (Coming Home), originally done by Peter Schilling, covered by The Space Lady

I hated The Space Lady's version! It practically sucked @$$ and her vocals and the keyboards were even worse!  >:(

Shout, originally by Tears for Fears, covered by Disturbed

That one sucked @$$ too! Why the !@#$ did Disturbed even cover it!?

Lovesong by The Cure, covered by 311

Also sucked @$$! Why oh why did they have to remake that one! It should have NEVER gone to no.1! The Cure should have gone to no.1 with that song! The Cure deserved it over 311!

Written By: nally on 02/23/06 at 12:18 pm

Lovesong by The Cure, covered by 311

Also sucked @$$! Why oh why did they have to remake that one! It should have NEVER gone to no.1! The Cure should have gone to no.1 with that song! The Cure deserved it over 311!

Agreed! >:(

What did it go to no.1 on? The Modern Rock chart?

Written By: gmann on 02/23/06 at 3:14 pm

Worst remake was Crowded House's Don't Dream It's Over redone by Sixpence None the Richer :P

I don't know. I kinda liked it, to be honest. I can think of covers that are a whole lot worse.  **ducking for cover**

Written By: gmann on 02/23/06 at 3:19 pm

In case it hasn't been brought to your attention, how about this latest potential nominee for worst 80s cover: Genesis' "Land of Confusion" covered by Disturbed. I'm not much for their sound, but this is okay, if only *just*. They didn't try to reinvent the wheel with the cover, so that may have helped them in my eyes. Or maybe I'm not discriminating enough.  ;)

Written By: STAR70 on 02/23/06 at 4:41 pm

Brit should be given THE CHAIR for that one

Written By: Tia on 02/23/06 at 4:57 pm

Brit should be given THE CHAIR for that one
Totally tuff tia!

Now THAT would make a classic album cover. "TTT does the Bangles."

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/23/06 at 4:58 pm

Listen to Your Heart has some corny trance stuff that drives me crazy.  :P

Written By: whistledog on 02/23/06 at 11:00 pm

In case it hasn't been brought to your attention, how about this latest potential nominee for worst 80s cover: Genesis' "Land of Confusion" covered by Disturbed. I'm not much for their sound, but this is okay, if only *just*. They didn't try to reinvent the wheel with the cover, so that may have helped them in my eyes. Or maybe I'm not discriminating enough.  ;)

There was a great dance version of Land of Confusion by a group called Alcazar.  They called it 'This is the World We Live In' ... what they did was take the music from Upside Down by Diana Ross, add in the chorus from Land of Confusion by Genesis, include some original lyrics :)

Written By: ADH13 on 02/24/06 at 1:35 pm

There were a couple covers made in the 90's that were being played on the radio at the same time as the originals... and I'm not totally sure which are original and which are covers..  A couple examples:

I Don't Want To Miss A Thing by Aerosmith was also done by some country artist and also I Swear by All-4-One was also done by John Michael Montgomery... I've always assumed that both country versions were covers of the others.. but I'm not positive.

I know this is 90's but I didn't want to make another thread for this.

Written By: nally on 02/24/06 at 4:29 pm

There were a couple covers made in the 90's that were being played on the radio at the same time as the originals... and I'm not totally sure which are original and which are covers..  A couple examples:

I Don't Want To Miss A Thing by Aerosmith was also done by some country artist and also I Swear by All-4-One was also done by John Michael Montgomery... I've always assumed that both country versions were covers of the others.. but I'm not positive.

I know this is 90's but I didn't want to make another thread for this.

If you don't want to, I will. ;)

Listen to Your Heart has some corny trance stuff that drives me crazy.  :P

D.H.T.? Yeah I detest that remake too.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 01/19/07 at 5:24 am

Land of Confusion by Disturbed is... well, disturbing.  :P

Written By: holicman on 01/19/07 at 6:37 am

Kasey Chambers did a really crappy version of Cindy Lauper's True colours a few years ago here in Australia.

There was no passion in it at all, it was vocally perfect except it lacked the passion, and for that I thought it sucked.

It made the top ten here on the Oz charts.

One I did like though was Steps version of Chain Reaction by Diana Ross.

Written By: whistledog on 01/19/07 at 12:46 pm

One I did like though was Steps version of Chain Reaction by Diana Ross.

I liked that one too.  Probably one of the best covers out there of a Bee Gees written song.  It was fantastic!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/19/07 at 9:01 pm

When Jessica Simpson covered "Take My Breath Away", I could feel blood running out of my ears.

I agree with you big time.....  ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/19/07 at 9:03 pm

disneycore! lol.

in my new band we do a korn song and a linkin park song. kinda got to pay the rent before you can do the older stuff.

Disneycore!

For some odd reason, I love that word!  ;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/20/07 at 12:25 am

This was my first post ever on this board. 

Written By: mandymax on 02/02/07 at 3:42 pm

Marylin Manson's "Sweet Dreams" (Eurythmics cover) is pretty hideous. I dunno who was responsible for the dancey cover of Don Henley's "Boys Of Summer", but it near put me off the song. >:(

As far as I'm concerned, any remake of "The Boys of Summer" is blasphemy.  That song should not be touched.  >:(

Check for new replies or respond here...