inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are you a part of this Generation? (The XY CUSP)

Written By: Sarah1183 on 02/09/06 at 5:13 pm

Ha. I think I've finally found what generation I'm a part of, because I've never really been certain.  :)

From Wikipedia:

XY Cusp
The XY Cusp includes those people born in the late 70s and early 80s. The word XY is used because their generational identity is mixed, uncertain, or deviant from X or Y or both, but do not constitute a separate generational group in themselves. Some place the years between: 1978-1983 and 1978-88 . However, both sources agree on the late 70s and early 80s. People born within this group are in parallel situations with people born in between previous generations: Generation Jones (between Boomer and X - late 50s, early 60s, teens of the 70s); between Silents and Boomers - late 30s, early 40s (teens of the 50s); and between GI and Silents - late 10s, early 20s (teens of the 30s). They are referred to as Cusper Groups, Transitional times, or Buffer Zones. John Losey states says "If you couldn't neatly place yourself in any of the (generations), then you're probably a Cusper. 1943-1947, 1962-1967 and 1978-1983 are each considered transition times. Many people born during these cusp periods identify with the generations on either side. Often, Cuspers feel like they belong to neither and belong to both. They are generationally bilingual. They can act as translators and ambassadors between the generations."

Subject: Re: Are you a part of this Generation? (The XY CUSP)

Written By: gmann on 02/09/06 at 7:25 pm

Ha. I think I've finally found what generation I'm a part of, because I've never really been certain.  :)

From Wikipedia:

XY Cusp
The XY Cusp includes those people born in the late 70s and early 80s. The word XY is used because their generational identity is mixed, uncertain, or deviant from X or Y or both, but do not constitute a separate generational group in themselves. Some place the years between: 1978-1983 and 1978-88 . However, both sources agree on the late 70s and early 80s. People born within this group are in parallel situations with people born in between previous generations: Generation Jones (between Boomer and X - late 50s, early 60s, teens of the 70s); between Silents and Boomers - late 30s, early 40s (teens of the 50s); and between GI and Silents - late 10s, early 20s (teens of the 30s). They are referred to as Cusper Groups, Transitional times, or Buffer Zones. John Losey states says "If you couldn't neatly place yourself in any of the (generations), then you're probably a Cusper. 1943-1947, 1962-1967 and 1978-1983 are each considered transition times. Many people born during these cusp periods identify with the generations on either side. Often, Cuspers feel like they belong to neither and belong to both. They are generationally bilingual. They can act as translators and ambassadors between the generations."

Interesting. I think I may fall into this category. I was heavily influenced by an older sibling, but had younger friends, too. I guess I was the aforementioned "ambassador" of my social group.

I've never given much thought to my generation's identity, but I wonder if there aren't some additional cultural differences that set me apart from many of my peers. I was born in '77 and raised in the 'burbs of northeast Ohio, while my parents and extended family are all from the Deep South. This clash of cultures and accents was brought to my attention time and again during my formative years. In retrospect, that experience makes me feel that I have a slightly skewed perspecctive on the world. Am I right?  :)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/09/06 at 7:45 pm

No, I'm straight up Y (1990)

Written By: Watcher29 on 02/10/06 at 8:00 am

Nope, I'm a straight-up grumpy, goatee-wearing Gen X'er (born 1970)

Written By: AnnieBanannie on 02/10/06 at 2:16 pm

I'm a total Xer ('72).

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/10/06 at 2:44 pm

Nope, Generation Xer right here (1976)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 02/10/06 at 7:16 pm

Gen X-er Cuspy (b. 1982)

Written By: woops on 02/11/06 at 10:49 pm

Consider myself Gen Y, though I don't really care about most pop culture from the past 9 years...

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/11/06 at 11:00 pm

Consider myself Gen Y, though I don't really care about most pop culture from the past 9 years...

1997 really killed things, didn't it?  ;D Spice Girls, South Park, Gigapets, proliferation of cell phones, etc. all started then. Unfortunately 1996 or 1997 is where my memories stop be scattered and vague.

I'm definitely a Y, born in 1990 I think (although lately I've wondered if it was actually 1991, hmm.  Either way it's Y).

I think 1986-1993 is irrefutable Gen Y, and 1983-'85 and 1994-'96 probably count too. 1977-1982 is really cuspy with X and 1997-'03 may be Y or Z, or more likely a mix of both.  My X/Y test would be if you could comprehend the Cold War feeling or not, my Y/Z test would be if you could remember the events of 9/11 (it's amazing but true, but most little kids can't!) or if you can remember ONE THING from 1999.

Written By: rich1981 on 02/12/06 at 2:17 am

I'm definitely part of the XY Cusp (born in 1981), and indeed I do feel torn between the 80's and 90's but probably no later than 1997/8.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 02/12/06 at 2:41 am

1985 born = Gen. Y

Written By: Jewel on 02/12/06 at 7:51 pm

Nope, Generation Xer right here (1976)

Ditto (born in '76 as well)

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/12/06 at 7:55 pm

People born in the late 1970s and early 1980s I think tend to be more mixed between X and Y, gradating more toward Y as you get younger towards the early '80s. People born from the mid-80s to the early 90s are straight up Y, and mid-90s I think is probably gradating towards Z and further away from Y.  People who can't remember the world before cellphones and internet had total dominance aren't Y, really. But I don't think people born in the late '70s and early '80s share alot of things with either one-they're like X without the grumpiness and Y without the vacuousness.

I myself am straight-up Y, born at the peak of the baby boom echo in 1990 (most births since the late '50s!). I fit the qualifications for Gen Y pretty evenly-remember the world before total dominance of internet and cellphones, remember alot of pre-tech stuff (I don't think I really knew what the internet was until 1997, the internet wasn't really big until towards the end of the '90s anyway), September 11th has had a big impression on me and I can remember that whole day crystal clear, and my parents are peak boomers (born in 1955).

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/13/06 at 12:21 am

bump

Written By: Donnie_Darko on 02/13/06 at 12:35 am

People born in the late 1970s and early 1980s I think tend to be more mixed between X and Y, gradating more toward Y as you get younger towards the early '80s. People born from the mid-80s to the early 90s are straight up Y, and mid-90s I think is probably gradating towards Z and further away from Y.  People who can't remember the world before cellphones and internet had total dominance aren't Y, really. But I don't think people born in the late '70s and early '80s share alot of things with either one-they're like X without the grumpiness and Y without the vacuousness.

I myself am straight-up Y, born at the peak of the baby boom echo in 1990 (most births since the late '50s!). I fit the qualifications for Gen Y pretty evenly-remember the world before total dominance of internet and cellphones, remember alot of pre-tech stuff (I don't think I really knew what the internet was until 1997, the internet wasn't really big until towards the end of the '90s anyway), September 11th has had a big impression on me and I can remember that whole day crystal clear, and my parents are peak boomers (born in 1955).

Where would you end Gen Y?  Didn't you say like 1994 is the last year that counts and 1995+ is Z?  I'm 1990 born also (although like I've said I have a fear I'm actually a '91er, but that's probably just my OCD  ;D Even if I was that's still concrete Y).

I would say Z probably begins at 1997, but 1993 is the last birth year I find to be clearly Y.  1994+ seem like little kids to me, but if pop culture continues to stagnate and mid and late '90s babies like the same stuff '80s and early '90s babies do there's no reason to consider them Z.  2000 up is not Y, Yers are bimillenial.  You have to have a least a tiny bit of 20th Century mileage on you.

Here's my Y test: can you recall ONE THING from before 1999?  Is yes, you're a Yl.  If not, I'm not so sure.

A Gen Yer is someone who:

*Can vaguely recall the pre-Internet 1980s and/or early and middle 1990s
*Remembers Y2K
*Either was into the boyband/girl singer craze or could have been if they wanted to
*Who as a teen knew tons of Emo kids and hipsters, or was one
*Clearly remembers September 11, or can at least remember hearing about it when it happened
*Remembers the dominance of VHS and Compact Disc, and is at least familiar with cassette decks
*Never really knew vinyl records, except maybe as toys for the very oldest of the gen
*Can only vaguely recall the pre-1992 Cold War days
*Has always known a world with Hip Hop, but still recognizes Rock
*Can remember the Internet boom of 1994-1999

If you can't match up with these, you may not be Gen Y.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/13/06 at 12:57 am

From Wikipedia:

XY Cusp

Yeah, I definitely fit into that category.  I was born in 1982, so I was too young for Gen X and too old for Gen Y.  It's good to know I finally have a place!

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/13/06 at 1:11 pm

I really don't think people born after 93 could really be considered Y because they may not remember alot of that stuff...I don't think Compact Disc counts, alot of kids still grow up with them. But VHS, yeah, if you remember when Blockbuster was still huge and dominated by VHSes you're Gen Y. I also think familiarity with a time before everyone had a cell phone is a marker.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 02/13/06 at 2:24 pm

*Remembers Y2K
*Either was into the boyband/girl singer craze or could have been if they wanted to
*Clearly remembers September 11, or can at least remember hearing about it when it happened
*Remembers the dominance of VHS and Compact Disc, and is at least familiar with cassette decks
*Never really knew vinyl records, except maybe as toys for the very oldest of the gen

Wow, this stuff makes me feel old.  ;D

Written By: McDonald on 02/13/06 at 3:11 pm

I consider myself cusp, though I was born in 85. However, I have a remarkable memory. I remember glimpses from '87, a lot from '88, and everything from '89 onward. I was also under heavy influence from my older cousin (born. 1982) who was like a brother to me, and my stepsister (born 1977). I watched the same movies, shows, cartoons, and listened to the same music as they did, because I literally was around either one or the other of them ALL the time. I also lived in insular communities in rural East Texas and in the Adirondack mountains of upstate New York, where new advancements and trends reached us much later than other communities, so for the first few cognitive years of my life, going as far up as '92, everything was all 80's.

I remember vividly when almost no one had computers, and if they did, they were useless pieces of junk. I remember learning and using the actual card catalog at the school library. Everything was done either by hand or with typewriters (NOTHING was done with computers). CD players cost like at least $150+... so few people actually had them. We used cassettes. For fun I used my imagination and I actually played outside. We also had little league and cub scouts, and almost every kid you knew was involved in one or both of them.

Blockbuster was unheard of. Every town had a local tape rental. Ours was at the back of the local pharmacy/general store. I rented the same movies over and over (mostly Robin Hood movies. I loved Robin Hood... I read and watched everything about him). Going out to eat was something we almost never did. It was a real treat. Hell, soda at dinner (which was always fully home-cooked) was a treat! And we never bought Coke or Pepsi, we always bought Adirondack Cola (the best soda ever). 

As you can see... ALL of this is changed. No one cooks at home anymore. I eat out several times a week, all the private rental places are out of business. Good luck even finding a typewriter, let alone the necessary accessories. Little league is for people who can afford it now. The Scouts are discriminatory arseholes. The card catalog is totally computerised just like everything else. Even the CD is slowly becoming obsolete and CD players can be bought for less than a meal at the Olive Garden. The child imagination has been replaced by the X-Box. So yeah. To hell with today.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/13/06 at 3:38 pm

Little kids still do have imaginations, if you talk to them...they've just been thwarted more and more and they have to try now. I think alot of the little kids now will grow up hating American culture, totally different than the majority of Ys who adore it.

Written By: Donnie_Darko on 02/13/06 at 3:59 pm

I consider myself cusp, though I was born in 85. However, I have a remarkable memory. I remember glimpses from '87, a lot from '88, and everything from '89 onward. I was also under heavy influence from my older cousin (born. 1982) who was like a brother to me, and my stepsister (born 1977). I watched the same movies, shows, cartoons, and listened to the same music as they did, because I literally was around either one or the other of them ALL the time. I also lived in insular communities in rural East Texas and in the Adirondack mountains of upstate New York, where new advancements and trends reached us much later than other communities, so for the first few cognitive years of my life, going as far up as '92, everything was all 80's.

I remember vividly when almost no one had computers, and if they did, they were useless pieces of junk. I remember learning and using the actual card catalog at the school library. Everything was done either by hand or with typewriters (NOTHING was done with computers). CD players cost like at least $150+... so few people actually had them. We used cassettes. For fun I used my imagination and I actually played outside. We also had little league and cub scouts, and almost every kid you knew was involved in one or both of them.

Blockbuster was unheard of. Every town had a local tape rental. Ours was at the back of the local pharmacy/general store. I rented the same movies over and over (mostly Robin Hood movies. I loved Robin Hood... I read and watched everything about him). Going out to eat was something we almost never did. It was a real treat. Hell, soda at dinner (which was always fully home-cooked) was a treat! And we never bought Coke or Pepsi, we always bought Adirondack Cola (the best soda ever). 

As you can see... ALL of this is changed. No one cooks at home anymore. I eat out several times a week, all the private rental places are out of business. Good luck even finding a typewriter, let alone the necessary accessories. Little league is for people who can afford it now. The Scouts are discriminatory arseholes. The card catalog is totally computerised just like everything else. Even the CD is slowly becoming obsolete and CD players can be bought for less than a meal at the Olive Garden. The child imagination has been replaced by the X-Box. So yeah. To hell with today.

Gee, the '80s are old!  My god, they look so modern but sound like the freaking stone age when someone talks about the tech then.  Truly a different century they are!

Would you say the 20th/21st century gap is as big as the 19th/20th gap?

How can you remember age 2?  I'm not saying you can't, as I'm 1990 and might remember itty bits of 1992, but 1994 up is really what I remember and especially 1996 or '97 onwards.  1998 is really when everything became techish, but even 2000 is a lot less hi-tech than the post-9/11 days.

Today does suck.  I miss cassettes.  There's something so cool about recording music off the radio, MP3 takes all the fun out of it.  I miss when my brother and I would wait for a good song to come on and we'd have to rush over and tape it! (this was like 2000 or so, maybe '99, but we didn't MP3 yet). 

And of course, I don't even think I knew what a DVD was until 2000 or so, although I might of heard about them in 1997.  You know times are changing when even the CD, once considered a high-tech staple is becoming a thing of the past, LOL.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 02/13/06 at 5:35 pm

See, I'm about three years older than you, but we seem to rememebr about the same stuff. I also remember when our first Blockbuster came to town. That was like a big deal because videos were still a rather new technology and so to have such a big rental store that had a TON of stuff to select from seemed like the biggest thing for a young kid. I even remember when they had VCR's for rent - these HUGE clunky things with VCR's in them for people to rent. That's when VCR's were still expensive. High tech for people in the mid to late 80's.

Our major video store prior to that time was called Preferred Video (which was probably about a 300 sf retail area and held just a slight bit compared to Blockbuster. We also had another called Entertainment Video which was probably a slight bit bigger. Before blockbuster, we thought that was the best video store to go to. Believe it or not, this video store is still around. God only knows how much longer, but I'm happy they've been able to stick around.

Computers were also a rarity. It's kinda weird to hear Donnie Darko speak of pre-Internet times. I spent 17 years of my life without the internet. I'm sure that has changed for most kids who were born 8-10 years after myself who've spent a majority of their life with that luxury resource we call the Internet (especially when researching for school papers - not doing it the "hard" way through encyclopedias and library stuff, lol). I'll admit my elementary schools tried to expose it to us as much as possible as they knew the computer was going to eventually become the big thing. Yet, we had still very little contact and hardly anyone I knew owned one. Back then, they were meant for much more different functions - like PAINT or WORD or just plain old games or business stuff (using DOS). It had nothing to do with the internet. I remember first hearing of the internet maybe as early as 1992. My best friend's Dad had a "program" called Prodigy, which connected us. It was slower than molassas, but heck, it was neat to see Internet's first beginnings like that.

Yeah, and to mention something else. Most restaurants were not chains back then. We didn't have Applebee's galore, or Olive Gardens or Red Lobsters at every doorstep. We even had fewer grocery stores, even smaller grocery stores. And another thing is, SUV's - GOD - I'm so glad all we had were Suburbans back then - because that was like the ONLY big clunker SUV that you'd see hog the road besides a big fat 80's van.

Anyways, I could on for ages if I dug even deeper into my memory, but I'll stop for now...

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/13/06 at 6:02 pm

I remember NJ pre c. 2002 when there were very, very few big box stores and chain restaurants. Now there are more than before but still not an excessive amount. I think our first Target opened up in 1998. We still don't have Wal-Marts, thank God. Malls still dominate NJ. Also, I remember the days of independent video/DVD rental places-the one we used when I was a little kid just closed, I remember the big dusty bookshelves full of video cases and the indexed binders, and there were arcade games there and a very antiquated adult section with big blinders and a picture of Marilyn Monroe. Now there's a Japanese restaurant there, between the pizzeria and the convenience store off the Garden State Parkway.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/13/06 at 6:30 pm

See, I'm about three years older than you, but we seem to rememebr about the same stuff. I also remember when our first Blockbuster came to town. That was like a big deal because videos were still a rather new technology and so to have such a big rental store that had a TON of stuff to select from seemed like the biggest thing for a young kid. I even remember when they had VCR's for rent - these HUGE clunky things with VCR's in them for people to rent. That's when VCR's were still expensive. High tech for people in the mid to late 80's.

Our major video store prior to that time was called Preferred Video (which was probably about a 300 sf retail area and held just a slight bit compared to Blockbuster. We also had another called Entertainment Video which was probably a slight bit bigger. Before blockbuster, we thought that was the best video store to go to. Believe it or not, this video store is still around. God only knows how much longer, but I'm happy they've been able to stick around.

Computers were also a rarity. It's kinda weird to hear Donnie Darko speak of pre-Internet times. I spent 17 years of my life without the internet. I'm sure that has changed for most kids who were born 8-10 years after myself who've spent a majority of their life with that luxury resource we call the Internet (especially when researching for school papers - not doing it the "hard" way through encyclopedias and library stuff, lol). I'll admit my elementary schools tried to expose it to us as much as possible as they knew the computer was going to eventually become the big thing. Yet, we had still very little contact and hardly anyone I knew owned one. Back then, they were meant for much more different functions - like PAINT or WORD or just plain old games or business stuff (using DOS). It had nothing to do with the internet. I remember first hearing of the internet maybe as early as 1992. My best friend's Dad had a "program" called Prodigy, which connected us. It was slower than molassas, but heck, it was neat to see Internet's first beginnings like that.

Yeah, and to mention something else. Most restaurants were not chains back then. We didn't have Applebee's galore, or Olive Gardens or Red Lobsters at every doorstep. We even had fewer grocery stores, even smaller grocery stores. And another thing is, SUV's - GOD - I'm so glad all we had were Suburbans back then - because that was like the ONLY big clunker SUV that you'd see hog the road besides a big fat 80's van.

Anyways, I could on for ages if I dug even deeper into my memory, but I'll stop for now...

Would you say the Net is the equivalent to going from horse and buggy to cars or to electric power? 

I think us born in the very early '90s, like 1990 and 1991 are not totally unfamiliar with a pre-information society.  People say the Information Age started around 1989 or 1990 but I'd place it more toward 1997 or 1998, maybe 2000 or 2001 for Europe and Asia.  Africa isn't there yet.  The net, while probably the norm for wealthy to middle-class people to have by 1997 or 1998 was a lot more primitive back then, even though people sort of act like the Internet became essential overnight as soon as it was the '90s.

And I do remember Lucky's!  That's gone?  What a shame.  The world sure is a lot smaller.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 02/13/06 at 7:10 pm

Would you say the Net is the equivalent to going from horse and buggy to cars or to electric power? 

I think us born in the very early '90s, like 1990 and 1991 are not totally unfamiliar with a pre-information society.  People say the Information Age started around 1989 or 1990 but I'd place it more toward 1997 or 1998, maybe 2000 or 2001 for Europe and Asia.  Africa isn't there yet.  The net, while probably the norm for wealthy to middle-class people to have by 1997 or 1998 was a lot more primitive back then, even though people sort of act like the Internet became essential overnight as soon as it was the '90s.

And I do remember Lucky's!  That's gone?  What a shame.  The world sure is a lot smaller.

I suppose it was like changing from horse to buggy to cars and electric power. It was sorta a gradual thing. Having computers around and seeing them advance in small, subtle ways over the years I remember them, I knew there was probably going to be more to it eventually. Maybe not THIS much more, but it seemed like it was going to start happening sooner or later.

And no, most people you ask will not associate at least the first 5 years of the 90's to the Internet. I mean, there were those more fortunate people who had it, but we also have to put into consideration the high cost of computers back then and getting e-mail service as an even extra high cost. PLus, not having as many internet services to choose from and paying an arm and a leg to get one connected. I remember computers costing up to $3000. These were not even the high end variety.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/13/06 at 11:48 pm

Where would you end Gen Y?  Didn't you say like 1994 is the last year that counts and 1995+ is Z?  I'm 1990 born also (although like I've said I have a fear I'm actually a '91er, but that's probably just my OCD  ;D Even if I was that's still concrete Y).

I would say Z probably begins at 1997, but 1993 is the last birth year I find to be clearly Y.  1994+ seem like little kids to me, but if pop culture continues to stagnate and mid and late '90s babies like the same stuff '80s and early '90s babies do there's no reason to consider them Z.  2000 up is not Y, Yers are bimillenial.  You have to have a least a tiny bit of 20th Century mileage on you.

Here's my Y test: can you recall ONE THING from before 1999?  Is yes, you're a Yl.  If not, I'm not so sure.

*Remembers Y2K

1995+ is defidently Z. Mostly because of the fact that if you were born in '95+ you didnt start school until at least 2000 and may not have any memories of the 90's at all. Also someone born after '95 has probably used or is at least familiar with the internet there whole lives while i didnt even use the internet till i was 11. I agree about the VHS thing too i didnt get a dvd player until i was about 14 or 15 and someone born in '95 or later is probably only familiar with the dvd format. As far as cell phones well i still dont own one of them ;D

Also I think video games could be a dividing point. I would say that for most people in Gen Y there first video game console was probably old school 2D whereas someone in Gen Z's first system is most defidently 3D.

Written By: Donnie_Darko on 02/14/06 at 3:01 am

1995+ is defidently Z. Mostly because of the fact that if you were born in '95+ you didnt start school until at least 2000 and may not have any memories of the 90's at all. Also someone born after '95 has probably used or is at least familiar with the internet there whole lives while i didnt even use the internet till i was 11. I agree about the VHS thing too i didnt get a dvd player until i was about 14 or 15 and someone born in '95 or later is probably only familiar with the dvd format. As far as cell phones well i still dont own one of them ;D

Also I think video games could be a dividing point. I would say that for most people in Gen Y there first video game console was probably old school 2D whereas someone in Gen Z's first system is most defidently 3D.

My first console (that was current at the time) was a Playstation (1).  That's kind of 2 1/2 D, if you know what I mean. Would that be a Y system to have as a first?

BTW I've decided Y is 1981-1994, but 1977-1985 can go X or Y, or a bit of both.  1995-2003 is kind of the "Echo Busters", 2004+ is a totally different gen.  "Gen Fat", if you will, although I hate that name.  Sounds gross.  :P

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 02/14/06 at 3:20 am

My first console (that was current at the time) was a Playstation (1).  That's kind of 2 1/2 D, if you know what I mean. Would that be a Y system to have as a first?

BTW I've decided Y is 1981-1994, but 1977-1985 can go X or Y, or a bit of both.  1995-2003 is kind of the "Echo Busters", 2004+ is a totally different gen.  "Gen Fat", if you will, although I hate that name.  Sounds gross.  :P

It seems like kids born in 1982, lets say, like myself who are about 18 years older than the 2000 born breed seem to have a much greater cultural divide than lets say kids born in 1964 who are 18 years older than the 1982 born kids. Am I the only one that sees this?

What I mean is that the 18 years difference between me and someone born in 1964-1966 doesn't seem all that huge of a gap because we still kinda/sorta experienced similiar stuff in similar times. We saw sort of the same evolution of technology. But, for me to eventually relate to a kid born in 2000 would feel almost futuristic in a way. I'd feel like they'd have NO clue as to what I've lived through prior to the time they were born because culture made such a sudden shift. Plus, to also factor in the idea that their first formative years won't even become all that clear up until about this year (2006) or maybe very possibly, a little earlier.

So, Donnie, you may have the upper hand here, because even though you were born out of the Gen X gap, and just slightly going into the Gen Z, you still can relate just ever so slightly with us 60's, 70's and 80's born folk. At least you can remember a fairly decent amount of the last decade.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/14/06 at 5:32 am

I think the biggest generation gap, though, in terms of values, was between people born in the 1930s and people born in the 1950s-it's almost unimaginable. The boomers were the first generation to grow up with gratuitous premarital sex, drugs, out-of-wedlock birth as somewhat acceptable, and an at least marginally accepted gay community. The generation before, almost all of this would've been unimaginable. Like, I don't think our values have really changed that much...it's more technological and economical.

Written By: Donnie_Darko on 02/14/06 at 11:04 am

It seems like kids born in 1982, lets say, like myself who are about 18 years older than the 2000 born breed seem to have a much greater cultural divide than lets say kids born in 1964 who are 18 years older than the 1982 born kids. Am I the only one that sees this?

What I mean is that the 18 years difference between me and someone born in 1964-1966 doesn't seem all that huge of a gap because we still kinda/sorta experienced similiar stuff in similar times. We saw sort of the same evolution of technology. But, for me to eventually relate to a kid born in 2000 would feel almost futuristic in a way. I'd feel like they'd have NO clue as to what I've lived through prior to the time they were born because culture made such a sudden shift. Plus, to also factor in the idea that their first formative years won't even become all that clear up until about this year (2006) or maybe very possibly, a little earlier.

So, Donnie, you may have the upper hand here, because even though you were born out of the Gen X gap, and just slightly going into the Gen Z, you still can relate just ever so slightly with us 60's, 70's and 80's born folk. At least you can remember a fairly decent amount of the last decade.

I'd agree for the most part.

However, I think a 1990er is closer to a person born in 1970 in their view on the world than a 2000er.  Those kids born in 2000 would have DVDs, iPods, fancy cellphones, etc and would, like you said not even have a clue.  Even somebody born as late as 1994 could at least remember VHS tapes, even if that was about it.  Someone born after 1995 or 1996 couldn't relate at all.  At least I can clearly remember back to around 1996 or '97, when there were no DVDS, a lot less Internet/cellphones, less satellite TV and even cable, etc. Like I've said, the difference between a Yer and a Zer is that a Yer will know the cassette medium first-hand, the Z will not exept maybe as leftovers.

I've never anyone born after about 1968 or 1969 as a "parental figure" either, more just as an "older cousin".  Yeah they would grow up before hi technology, but I think that people born up to 1993 or so are just barely old enough to know the significance of the digital revolution, even if it began to take off when they were born.

Even though those 2000 kids are only 10 years younger than me, I have to agree on them seeming very young to me.  They would have had their "little kid years" right now, which is kind of odd to me.  Now today doesn't quite seem "futuristic" to me, but of course that's because I'm only 16 and didn't really experience a truly pre-informational society, even if the mid-to-late '90s were a lot less so than now, if that makes sense.

Written By: McDonald on 02/14/06 at 12:51 pm

Oh man, I forgot about VCR rentals. LMAO. They came in these huge, plastic briefcase-looking containers and a lot of people, inclluding my own family, actually rented them. Now that I think about it, we didn't get a VCR until probably 1991. They were really expensive, and though I didn;t know it at the time, we didn't have a lot of money. We weren't poor, but the Lake George area in NY is a tourist spot, so in the winter (off-season) work and money was thinner. My parents had to make sure they saved as much as they could during the spring, summer, and fall so that we would have everything we needed during the winter. That didn't leave a whole lot to keep up with the latest equipment like VCR's and CD players (and we didn't even consider buying a computer, it was like totally not even an idea or question).

The first CD player we had in our house was maybe like 1992, when my sister bought one with money she had saved from babysitting. And even then, it was her CD player, and the rest of us listened to either the radio or tapes. I got my first CD player in '94 with money my mom sent me for Christmas. I remember she sent me $300 which to me was like a fortune! When my dad and stepmom asked me what I wanted to buy I said a CD player. So they went out and got me a CD boombox from Sears with the extended warranty and everything, and it must have cost about $200. And then I bought a few CD's like Ace of Base, Tim McGraw, etc... That CD player lasted me until about 1997. We had to replace it once, but since we had a warranty it was at no charge.

The few cassettes I had before then were Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze soundtrack, Kriss Kross, Wee Sing Bible Songs, and a bunch I had my sister recorded off the radio. But I really wasn't into music very much. Just Robin Hood, swords, bows and arrows, etc... that was my thing. Oh, and ninjas. I loved ninjas.

And for fun I mostly rode my bike around the neighbourhood all day, or went playing and exploring in the woods. If it rained I stayed in my room and made up games. If I was in Texas with my cousins, we would make up these elaborate role-playing games (vampires, body snatchers, mafia), or put on plays for our moms and dads. Sometimes my older cousin, Gerald who was three years older than me, would read us scary stories from those books they used to have (like, Scary Stories III or whatever). Much of the time we watched movies (which was so cool because we had no restrictions on ratings when we were with Gerald). My uncle had one of those gargantuan satellite dishes, the ones that were like huge investments, so we got all the channels you could possibly think of from all over the continent. This was way before the 18" dishes people have today. This thing was huge, and you could move it with the remote one way to pick up channels from California, and you could move it another way to get channels from NY, and so on.

I'm rambling. I could go on and on.

Written By: Donnie_Darko on 02/14/06 at 1:11 pm

Oh man, I forgot about VCR rentals. LMAO. They came in these huge, plastic briefcase-looking containers and a lot of people, inclluding my own family, actually rented them. Now that I think about it, we didn't get a VCR until probably 1991. They were really expensive, and though I didn;t know it at the time, we didn't have a lot of money. We weren't poor, but the Lake George area in NY is a tourist spot, so in the winter (off-season) work and money was thinner. My parents had to make sure they saved as much as they could during the spring, summer, and fall so that we would have everything we needed during the winter. That didn't leave a whole lot to keep up with the latest equipment like VCR's and CD players (and we didn't even consider buying a computer, it was like totally not even an idea or question).

The first CD player we had in our house was maybe like 1992, when my sister bought one with money she had saved from babysitting. And even then, it was her CD player, and the rest of us listened to either the radio or tapes. I got my first CD player in '94 with money my mom sent me for Christmas. I remember she sent me $300 which to me was like a fortune! When my dad and stepmom asked me what I wanted to buy I said a CD player. So they went out and got me a CD boombox from Sears with the extended warranty and everything, and it must have cost about $200. And then I bought a few CD's like Ace of Base, Tim McGraw, etc... That CD player lasted me until about 1997. We had to replace it once, but since we had a warranty it was at no charge.

The few cassettes I had before then were Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze soundtrack, Kriss Kross, Wee Sing Bible Songs, and a bunch I had my sister recorded off the radio. But I really wasn't into music very much. Just Robin Hood, swords, bows and arrows, etc... that was my thing. Oh, and ninjas. I loved ninjas.

And for fun I mostly rode my bike around the neighbourhood all day, or went playing and exploring in the woods. If it rained I stayed in my room and made up games. If I was in Texas with my cousins, we would make up these elaborate role-playing games (vampires, body snatchers, mafia), or put on plays for our moms and dads. Sometimes my older cousin, Gerald who was three years older than me, would read us scary stories from those books they used to have (like, Scary Stories III or whatever). Much of the time we watched movies (which was so cool because we had no restrictions on ratings when we were with Gerald). My uncle had one of those gargantuan satellite dishes, the ones that were like huge investments, so we got all the channels you could possibly think of from all over the continent. This was way before the 18" dishes people have today. This thing was huge, and you could move it with the remote one way to pick up channels from California, and you could move it another way to get channels from NY, and so on.

Man you're taking me back, even if my experiences are a few years ahead of yours.

When I was a little kid, we would search the streets for bottlecaps and built a fort.  I remember around 1997 we got a VCR for $120.  In '96 or '97 we got our cable back; it was a godsend.  Old Nick was so much better than the Spongebob Channel.  And the Internet was brand new.

They were pretty mudane though, overall, the '90s.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/14/06 at 1:20 pm

My first console was the SNES but yes I do look at the PS1 as a Gen Y first console whereas I think the PS2, X-box etc. are Gen Z first consoles.

Written By: McDonald on 02/14/06 at 1:25 pm

My first console was NES. My favourite game was Super Mario Bros III.

The first one that was totally mine was the Sega Genesis. I got it for Xmas in 1993. I played Mortal Kombat (the original) non stop, and I always pissed off my sister because I would choose Rayden, shoot her over and over again with the lightening, and beat her everytime.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 02/14/06 at 1:30 pm

I must admit we came pretty close to renting a VCR when ours was on the outs a few times. It looked very tempting, lol. But, hey, it must've been nice for those who didn't own one because I surely saw the value in owning one. I knew as a kid this was something we had to take special care of because they weren't cheap at the time (kinda like how people took care of their vinyl records in a careful way - even though they weren't THAT expensive).

Funny thing is, I got my first CD player in 1992 and I was the first in the house to actually own one. I got it as a birthday gift and I was SO excited. I thought this was literally going to change my life. I hadn't really heard CD's much prior to that, but when I did first hear them, the clarity and the perfection of the sound was astonishing to someone who was used to listening to downgraded analog tapes or vinyl records. Our family never owned a computer until 1999. (and that one was given to us, lol). We had an electronic typewriter. I thought that was also nifty. I tried to do all kinds of stuff, although now that I think about it - typewriters are really a big pain in the a$$. lol.

We use to also make forts. We made a few in our backyard that my mom even took pictures of because they were rather elaborate. Ahh, those were the days.. :0)

Written By: McDonald on 02/14/06 at 1:42 pm

Ahh, those were the days.. :0)

... And you knew who you WERE THEN....
Goyles were goyles, and men were men...

;D

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/14/06 at 1:48 pm

The first one that was totally mine was the Sega Genesis. I got it for Xmas in 1993. I played Mortal Kombat (the original) non stop, and I always pissed off my sister because I would choose Rayden, shoot her over and over again with the lightening, and beat her everytime.

I got my SNES a little before my NES and I got a Genesis a year after I got my SNES. Love the Mario trilogy and Mortal Kombat for Genesis was awesome.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/14/06 at 2:42 pm

I must admit we came pretty close to renting a VCR when ours was on the outs a few times. It looked very tempting, lol. But, hey, it must've been nice for those who didn't own one because I surely saw the value in owning one. I knew as a kid this was something we had to take special care of because they weren't cheap at the time (kinda like how people took care of their vinyl records in a careful way - even though they weren't THAT expensive).

Funny thing is, I got my first CD player in 1992 and I was the first in the house to actually own one. I got it as a birthday gift and I was SO excited. I thought this was literally going to change my life. I hadn't really heard CD's much prior to that, but when I did first hear them, the clarity and the perfection of the sound was astonishing to someone who was used to listening to downgraded analog tapes or vinyl records. Our family never owned a computer until 1999. (and that one was given to us, lol). We had an electronic typewriter. I thought that was also nifty. I tried to do all kinds of stuff, although now that I think about it - typewriters are really a big pain in the a$$. lol.

We use to also make forts. We made a few in our backyard that my mom even took pictures of because they were rather elaborate. Ahh, those were the days.. :0)

Now this is going to sound totally ridiculous, but would you say the times you're talking about (mid '80s-early '90 I guess) are closer to World War II era technology than now?

I mean seriously, an electronic TYPEWRITER being neat?  ;D

It's funny how you're talking largely about the Nineties here too.  I was on the computer back to 1994, maybe even back to 1993, but I guess even in the late '90s it was about equally common not to have one, esp if you were poor.  I don't think many families had laptops or multiple computer before the 2000 mark much either.

P.S. I LOVE making forts!  Snow forts, when we lived in Montana, constructed ones when we were in Concord, good times those were.  Today's kids are "pale kids", staying indoors playing video games.  Sure, I played computer games and NES (it was actually like 1997 when I played Mario, but the neighbors seemed to like it so it couldn't of been that dated then).  I didn't touch a PlayStation until 1998, but I remember lusting over it and the N64 around 1997ish.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 02/14/06 at 4:57 pm

My brother got a Sega Genesis in 1990 and we burnt that thing out. I remember it being a big deal because the graphics were 16bit. Then Super Nintendo came out and seemed to edge the Genesis, but I stayed true to my Sega :0) We actually owned the Sega Mastersystem, which I believe came out in 1987 or 1988. It was rather simple, only 8 bit technology, but the games were ingeniously made. They were fun. I still yearn to play them from time to time.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/14/06 at 5:50 pm

I never played video games. I watched alot of tapes and TV and went to the park alot in the '90s.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/14/06 at 10:42 pm

I'd like to think I spent equal time playing games as I did outside in the 90's which is ironic cause I hardly ever go outside now ;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/14/06 at 11:03 pm

... And you knew who you WERE THEN....
Goyles were goyles, and men were men...

;D

Mister we could sure use a man like Herbert Hoover again.....

Written By: Sarah1183 on 02/19/06 at 2:12 pm

Yeah, I definitely fit into that category.  I was born in 1982, so I was too young for Gen X and too old for Gen Y.  It's good to know I finally have a place!

Same here... I'm definitely too old for Y and too young for X, so I've never really felt like I belonged in either category.

1978 - 1983 sounds like the perfect definition for the XY Cusp, a bit too young for one generation but too old for the other.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/19/06 at 2:51 pm

1978 - 1983 sounds like the perfect definition for the XY Cusp, a bit too young for one generation but too old for the other.

I think '78-'83 is probably about right. 1978 just seems way too early to be a part of Gen Y. I mean they would have been 22 years old in 2000 when Gen Y culture really took off and would have been 13 in 1991 when grunge and Gen X culture really hit its peak. I'm defidently Y(born in '87) but sometimes I feel like im on the cusp since I just dont fit into X or Y. But since I was only 4 in '91 I dont consider myself to be a cusper.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/19/06 at 4:28 pm

I'm 1990-born, so I think 99% of people would consider me Y.  The other 1% is people who are arrogant enough to think early '90s kids don't count as Y and are Z.

Written By: Jewel on 02/19/06 at 4:46 pm

Reconsidering that I think I am on the cusp. The definition is relatively correct, but I say the XY cusp is for those born from 1975-1981. Those born in 1974 are definitely Generation X while those born in 1982 are definitely Generation Y.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/19/06 at 4:52 pm

Reconsidering that I think I am on the cusp. The definition is relatively correct, but I say the XY cusp is for those born from 1975-1981. Those born in 1974 are definitely Generation X while those born in 1982 are definitely Generation Y.

I'm not so sure.  I think in depends on how lucid your late '80s and early '90s are, and if you were active pop culturally then, and also on how at home you feel in the '00s.  1982 could be X I think, but it's more on the Y side.  1976-1985 really have the luxury of choice.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/19/06 at 7:32 pm

I'm not so sure.  I think in depends on how lucid your late '80s and early '90s are, and if you were active pop culturally then, and also on how at home you feel in the '00s.  1982 could be X I think, but it's more on the Y side.  1976-1985 really have the luxury of choice.

Being born in 1976, I would never associate with being in Gen. Y or in the cusp b/c I'm not nor is anyone born in 1975.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/19/06 at 7:41 pm

I'm 1990-born, so I think 99% of people would consider me Y.  The other 1% is people who are arrogant enough to think early '90s kids don't count as Y and are Z.

Yeah your defidently Y. Gen Z didnt start until at least 7 years after you were born.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/19/06 at 10:16 pm

I'm a reluctant peak Gen Yer/"anti-Yer" (that's a term I like), but I really don't have anything to do with my generation, for the most part. I hang out with other people like me, who don't think the biggest change that could happen in the world that seems acceptable is a new edition of the iPod.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 02/20/06 at 12:09 am

I'm a reluctant peak Gen Yer/"anti-Yer" (that's a term I like), but I really don't have anything to do with my generation, for the most part. I hang out with other people like me, who don't think the biggest change that could happen in the world that seems acceptable is a new edition of the iPod.

You're a wise kid. Seem a bit like myself when I was your age.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/20/06 at 12:13 am

You're a wise kid. Seem a bit like myself when I was your age.

Thanks! I try...I hope other "anti-Ys" like myself will influence Generation Z in the 2010s, like alot of "anti-Boomers" like Michael Stipe, Thurston Moore, Douglas Coupland influenced Generation X.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 02/20/06 at 12:19 am

Thanks! I try...I hope other "anti-Ys" like myself will influence Generation Z in the 2010s, like alot of "anti-Boomers" like Michael Stipe, Thurston Moore, Douglas Coupland influenced Generation X.

It's really hard to be sort of the anti-anything when you're a teenager. There are so many cliques you're suppose to fall into that even though certain kids think they're being rebels because they're in those cliques, all they are doing is just following the leader of that clique and really don't have their own identity. It's a vicious circle. I was a big Beatles fan when I was 15 (in 1997) and it was hard to really relate to anyone my age at that time who liked the Beatles. I found one friend in North Carolina who had the same kinda obsession as me, but that was about it, lol. I was such a total dweeb, lol.

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/20/06 at 12:28 am

It's really hard to be sort of the anti-anything when you're a teenager. There are so many cliques you're suppose to fall into that even though certain kids think they're being rebels because they're in those cliques, all they are doing is just following the leader of that clique and really don't have their own identity. It's a vicious circle. I was a big Beatles fan when I was 15 (in 1997) and it was hard to really relate to anyone my age at that time who liked the Beatles. I found one friend in North Carolina who had the same kinda obsession as me, but that was about it, lol. I was such a total dweeb, lol.

I can beat that - I liked 'em at age 5 in 1986/87. :D

Seriously though, I did grow up with alot of 60s music in the 80s, so in a way I see that as the stuff of my "childhood" too - even if it was already fifteen-twenty years old at the time.

I hear what you're saying on the initial point though. There were times in the past (and even today in a lesser extent) where I tried to be "cool" to fit a certain group, etc -- that's only natural since I try to be nice/cool with everybody. So I understand how if you're a 12, 14 or 15 year old, this can happen.

However, I think the key is to never lose sight of who you really are or what you believe in. That's how I've always done it. In other words, I might accentuate little shades of my personality when I'm around certain people, and different parts when I'm around others, but I'm still "me".

To use a musical comparison, in 1984 Rod Stewart sounded "80s", but it wasn't like he became Duran Duran - he just used elements of that sound into his signature style. Ya know? :)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 02/20/06 at 12:35 am

I can beat that - I liked 'em at age 5 in 1986/87. :D

Seriously though, I did grow up with alot of 60s music in the 80s, so in a way I see that as the stuff of my "childhood" too - even if it was already fifteen-twenty years old at the time.

I hear what you're saying on the initial point though. There were times in the past (and even today in a lesser extent) where I tried to be "cool" to fit a certain group, etc -- that's only natural since I try to be nice/cool with everybody. So I understand how if you're a 12, 14 or 15 year old, this can happen.

However, I think the key is to never lose sight of who you really are or what you believe in. That's how I've always done it. In other words, I might accentuate little shades of my personality when I'm around certain people, and different parts when I'm around others, but I'm still "me".

To use a musical comparison, in 1984 Rod Stewart sounded "80s", but it wasn't like he became Duran Duran - he just used elements of that sound into his signature style. Ya know? :)

Yeah, I agree 100% *as usual*  ;)

One thing that you really related well is that you usually use parts of yourself to accommodate certain crowds. I mean, if I'm around my friends who act more teen-like, then I'll kinda cut up like them - but I still hold firm to my beliefs on certain things, but I can be agreeable to a point. Since most of my friends found what I liked nearly the opposite of what they liked, I still tried to be accepting of what they liked so I wouldn't be a total outcast (even if it bored me to tears at times).

Yeah, Rod Stewart is just one of many 60's or 70's artists who managed to go "80's" and still keep themselves in tact. Another good example are Hall & Oates. They really embraced the 80's sound without really losing themselves in the process.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/20/06 at 12:39 am

I sort of am an anti-everything right now, I take my friends from different groups of people-the fake bohemians, the metalheads, etc. It's pretty hard to be that kind of person, I guess...I listen to Joni Mitchell, Kate Bush, The Smiths, Sonic Youth, The Talking Heads, The B-52s, PJ Harvey, The Pixies, Madonna, Tori Amos, and disco, there's not alot of consistency to my musical tastes. When I was in 8th grade c. 2003-2004, I was friends with these fake middle school hipsters and grew my hair long, stopped wearing flannel shirts and Vans and bought Pumas and '70s jackets, and tried to like emo and indie and Bright Eyes. I wasn't a big fan of the whole thing really and ever since then I haven't tried to fit in with that or even like new music that much. In my school we basically have the "ethnic people" (my school is about 10% minority, probably), the non-stylish jocks, the preppies, the hipsters, the band/theater geeks and nerds, the stoners, and some smaller groups like metalheads and soccer jocks. I'm not a big fan of any of these groups in their entirety, so I'm pretty much on the fringe of the band/theater geeks and nerds, if you had to classify me, but I'm not really part of them either-I live in a small town and our school is much too small to have true cliques.

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/20/06 at 12:45 am

Yeah, I agree 100% *as usual*  ;)

One thing that you really related well is that you usually use parts of yourself to accommodate certain crowds. I mean, if I'm around my friends who act more teen-like, then I'll kinda cut up like them - but I still hold firm to my beliefs on certain things, but I can be agreeable to a point. Since most of my friends found what I liked nearly the opposite of what they liked, I still tried to be accepting of what they liked so I wouldn't be a total outcast (even if it bored me to tears at times).

Yeah, Rod Stewart is just one of many 60's or 70's artists who managed to go "80's" and still keep themselves in tact. Another good example are Hall & Oates. They really embraced the 80's sound without really losing themselves in the process.

:)

Yeah, even though H&O are mainly an 80s band, they really got their start with soul/R&B in the 70s. Lionel Richie (another fave of mine) ZZ Top, and Paul McCartney are more veteran artists who seemed to do it just right.

I think the ones that went "WAY 80s" are the songs that actually get laughed at now (i.e. Starship with "We Built this City", Steve Miller with "Abracadabra", etc).

Anyway, I've found that as long as the next person is friendly/cool towards me, I can pretty much always get along with them and find something to relate to them on. It's almost automatic for me to act a certain way around someone. In other words, I couldn't be like a surfer dude towards a conservative looking businessman, and I would tend to act more "cool" around a 19 year old dude with a mohawk, LOL.

Even though both times I'm still being me.

The difficulty at times, can be pleasing different types of people at once (I still find it odd that I'm good at one on one conversations, and usually with performances/public speaking, but the "middle ground" of parties and cliques I tend to freeze with terror in!). ;D

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/20/06 at 12:49 am

When I was in high school I hung out with a group of 3 other people who basically just goofed off and got picked on mostly because none of us really felt like we belonged anywhere. Now I still dont. I dont dress a certain way and even though I mostly listen to rock, I pretty much like every rock song that has come out since 1964 so I dont even fit into a catagory there either. I would not necesarily consider myself to be anti-Y there are some cool people in Gen Y(like the ones here on this site :)) I would just consider myself to be anti-Gen Y culture.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/20/06 at 1:11 am

Yeah, I'm certainly not against all Gen Y people, I'm just largely against Gen Y culture. Sorry if I came off as too misanthropic  :). You people on this board are cool!

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/20/06 at 1:12 am

Yeah, I'm certainly not against all Gen Y people, I'm just largely against Gen Y culture. Sorry if I came off as too misanthropic  :). You people on this board are cool!

Of course  :)

Not that there's anything wrong with being misanthropic.  People suck!  ;)

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/20/06 at 1:18 am

Misanthropy is the new black.  ;)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/20/06 at 1:21 am

Naw I didnt think you meant all Gen Y people. There are some cool Gen Y people out there you just dont here much from them.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/20/06 at 1:23 am

Naw I didnt think you meant all Gen Y people. There are some cool Gen Y people out there you just dont here much from them.

I'm not sure if I'm cool, but I'm sort of part of a "scene" myself.  Actually, I'm inventing my own scene ... the Possescene.  Anyone want to join?  ;)

Written By: McDonald on 02/20/06 at 12:42 pm

I'm not sure if I'm cool, but I'm sort of part of a "scene" myself.  Actually, I'm inventing my own scene ... the Possescene.  Anyone want to join?  ;)

If I weren't so anti-scene, I would definitely consider it! ;)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/20/06 at 3:15 pm

If I weren't so anti-scene, I would definitely consider it! ;)

;D

By 2010, the Posse will rule the world!

Written By: Pam75 on 08/24/07 at 11:58 pm

Grunge loving, 90's progressive hip-hop loving Generation Xer, all the way, who was born in 1975.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/25/07 at 4:08 pm

Gen Xer here.  I was born in 1976.  My brother is one too, he was born in 1977.

Written By: tv on 08/25/07 at 6:39 pm

I was born in 1979 so I am part of this generation.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/25/07 at 9:05 pm

From Wikipedia:

XY Cusp

Interesting.  I'm firmly in the "Generation Jones" category (born 1960).  I like this writeup because it suggests how being on the "cusp" is a different experience.  As a "Generation Jones" person, I'll add that although my birth year places me in the "Boomer" category, I really don't identify with a lot of the Boomer experience and what is said about Boomers.  Whereas the little bit I have read that is said about Generation Jones, I identify with completely.  I think there's something to be said about these "cusp" generations.  As for being generationally bilingual, that's up for debate.

Written By: grownup80sstyle on 08/26/07 at 11:13 pm

I must be an X'er too......proud to be born in 1972!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  8)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 08/27/07 at 5:46 pm

Proud X'er (1976), wife, and mother of two.

Written By: coqueta83 on 08/27/07 at 8:29 pm

Being born in 1978, I guess I'm technically an XY cusper....but I've always identified myself as part of Gen X and always will.

Written By: Satish on 09/07/07 at 2:33 pm

I agree that people born in the late 70s and early 80s fall into a murky grey area that's a combination of both generation X and generation Y. I, myself was born in 1979 and feel that I've got one foot in both generations.

I didn't consider myself a member of generation X, at first. I first started hearing the term "generation X" mentioned in the early to mid 90s being applied to people who were then in their twenties. It seemed to be describing people who were a whole decade older than I was. I didn't really feel like I was a part of it. Most of the iconic Gen-X TV shows and movies that were produced in the early to mid 90s, like "Friends", Reality Bites and Singles, were about people in their twenties. At the time they came out, I couldn't relate to any of the characters in them.

But then, as time went on and generation Y started to emerge and define itself, I didn't entirely feel like I was a part of it, either. The tween pop from the late 90s(Backstreet Boys, N'Sync, Britney Spears, etc.) is supposed to have been generation Y's first exposure to popular music. But I was too old to be a big fan of the late 90s tween pop scene. I feel much closer to the grunge and alternative rock scene from the early to mid 90s than I do to late 90s tween pop.

So I think the XY cusp is right where I belong. A part of both generations and neither, at the same time.  :)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/07/07 at 3:02 pm

I agree that people born in the late 70s and early 80s fall into a murky grey area that's a combination of both generation X and generation Y. I, myself was born in 1979 and feel that I've got one foot in both generations.

I didn't consider myself a member of generation X, at first. I first started hearing the term "generation X" mentioned in the early to mid 90s being applied to people who were then in their twenties. It seemed to be describing people who were a whole decade older than I was. I didn't really feel like I was a part of it. Most of the iconic Gen-X TV shows and movies that were produced in the early to mid 90s, like "Friends", Reality Bites and Singles, were about people in their twenties. At the time they came out, I couldn't relate to any of the characters in them.

But then, as time went on and generation Y started to emerge and define itself, I didn't entirely feel like I was a part of it, either. The tween pop from the late 90s(Backstreet Boys, N'Sync, Britney Spears, etc.) is supposed to have been generation Y's first exposure to popular music. But I was too old to be a big fan of the late 90s tween pop scene. I feel much closer to the grunge and alternative rock scene from the early to mid 90s than I do to late 90s tween pop.

So I think the XY cusp is right where I belong. A part of both generations and neither, at the same time.  :)

Generally(without getting into too much generational talk) I think that anybody born in the '70s is in Generation X, even those born in 1978 or 1979 like yourself.

You may not have been a typical '90s twentysomething born in the early '70s like the characters on Friends, but you would've still been a true '90s teen. If your a '79er i'm guessing you were in high school from about 1993 until 1997, which are all peak '90s years.

I can understand you being into less pop culture after 1997 though. There was a pretty sharp change in pop culture from 1996 to 1999.

Written By: anthead on 09/07/07 at 5:31 pm

gen X'er - 1975

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/20/07 at 10:20 pm

I am a Generation Xer, baby, 1977!!!!  I hate it when some sources call me a Generation Yer when I can't even identified with teen pop in the late 90s and early 2000s. I was reading a couple of sources about different generations, and they say that Generation Y was born between 1977 to 1994.  I was so pissed off that I didn't even want to use the computer anymore.   That was an insult to me.  How dare them place me with something that I can't relate to. For years, Generation X was always defined as someone who was born in 1965-1980, and now they want to add some people who were born in the mid to late 70s with Generation Y.  That's bologne!!!!   Most Generation Yers have IPods, MP3 Players, and the Internet before they hit 18.  I was used to cassette tapes and CDs.  I didn't own an MP3 player until this year.  I didn't have my own computer until this year.  I didn't know anything about the Internet until I was 22.  I'm a late bloomer when it comes to technology, so they can't place me with Generation Y.  It's impossible.  I was a teenager in the early to mid 90s and a young adult in the mid to late 90s.   I mean, I act younger than 30. but that doesn't mean that I'm a Yer.  A Gen Xer is a person that was either a teen or in their 20s in either the whole 90s decade or early to mid 90s.  Do your math.  The RnB artists I listened to in 97 and 98 already had albums in the late 80s and early to mid 90s, so that's an exception.  Around that time, I was listening to music from the 70s and early 80s.    I mean I like RnB from the whole decade of the 90s, but I like late 80s and early to mid 90s better.  Anybody who was born between 1965 to 1980 is cosidered Generation X. 

Written By: robby76 on 11/20/07 at 11:04 pm

Yes I basically agree with everything you wrote up there... haha. Someone born 1977 is definitely Gen X. But like this thread suggests, there will always be people on the cusp who will go either way.

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/21/07 at 12:19 am

I am a Generation Xer, baby, 1977!!!!  I hate it when some sources call me a Generation Yer when I can't even identified with teen pop in the late 90s and early 2000s. I was reading a couple of sources about different generations, and they say that Generation Y was born between 1977 to 1994.  I was so pissed off that I didn't even want to use the computer anymore.   That was an insult to me.   How dare them place me with something that I can't relate to. For years, Generation X was always defined as someone who was born in 1965-1980, and now they want to add some people who were born in the mid to late 70s with Generation Y.  That's bologne!!!!   Most Generation Yers have IPods, MP3 Players, and the Internet before they hit 18.  I was used to cassette tapes and CDs.  I didn't own an MP3 player until this year.  I didn't have my own computer until this year.  I didn't know anything about the Internet until I was 22.  I'm a late bloomer when it comes to technology, so they can't place me with Generation Y.  It's impossible.  I was a teenager in the early to mid 90s and a young adult in the mid to late 90s.   I mean, I act younger than 30. but that doesn't mean that I'm a Yer.  A Gen Xer is a person that was either a teen or in their 20s in either the whole 90s decade or early to mid 90s.  Do your math.  The RnB artists I listened to in 97 and 98 already had albums in the late 80s and early to mid 90s, so that's an exception.  Around that time, I was listening to music from the 70s and early 80s.    I mean I like RnB from the whole decade of the 90s, but I like late 80s and early to mid 90s better.  Anybody who was born between 1965 to 1980 is cosidered Generation X. 

Hey, I think you make alot of good points that I can somewhat agree with. Although I think there's always some years where it blends together. Probably people born about 1976 to 1984 would depend on their tastes, environment and how they grew up. For instance, I think having the Internet when you were in high school or at least being able to adapt to it fairly well is something that could edge you towards Gen Y, because alot of earlier Xers just didn't have that.

Someone who's ten years older than you is probably much more hardcore Generation X in traits and lots of them probably never warmed up to the '90s.

For the record I was born in 1981 and I feel like an early Yer in personality, but a late Xer in tastes (I listened to tons of '80s music as a kid, and to this day favor alot of older technologies and just generally prefer the world of my first 13-15 years over anything since).

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/21/07 at 12:33 am

Yes I basically agree with everything you wrote up there... haha. Someone born 1977 is definitely Gen X. But like this thread suggests, there will always be people on the cusp who will go either way.

Exactly!!!  I mean, I like Beyonce and Alicia Keys, but the majority of music that I like are from the  80s and early to mid 90s.  Like I said above, in the late 90s and early 2000s I was either listening to  gospel, neo-soul (Generation Xers' music), 70s  RnB music, golden age era of hip hop, or artists from the 80s and early to mid 90s.    I can't get into this music that's out today.  This is strictly for Generation Y.  I mean, don't get me wrong.  I know some people from Baby Boom and Gen Xers who like some of today's music, but the majority of Baby Boomers and Generation Xers don't, and I'm one of them.  I always act younger for my age.  I've been like that all my life.  I was always behind people my age as far as development, but nevertheless, when it comes to music, TV shows, movies, and some fashion, I got it down pack.  I was always a loner.  Gen Xer for life!!!!! 8)

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/21/07 at 12:38 am

^Forgot to say, I also still love tapes more than anything else, partially because I've been around them my whole life (my parents were huge music listeners, especially my mom).

One thing from the '90s I do prefer are movies and television shows, maybe because I can relate to daily life a little better, but eighties music is the best. Like from the beginning of the MTV sound (around late 1981) to before Nirvana took off in 1991. Although the early-mid '90s still had alot of great music with alot of variation. Even if it feels a step below "home" in that respect.

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/21/07 at 12:44 am

Hey, I think you make alot of good points that I can somewhat agree with. Although I think there's always some years where it blends together. Probably people born about 1976 to 1984 would depend on their tastes, environment and how they grew up. For instance, I think having the Internet when you were in high school or at least being able to adapt to it fairly well is something that could edge you towards Gen Y, because alot of earlier Xers just didn't have that.

Someone who's ten years older than you is probably much more hardcore Generation X in traits and lots of them probably never warmed up to the '90s.

For the record I was born in 1981 and I feel like an early Yer in personality, but a late Xer in tastes (I listened to tons of '80s music as a kid, and to this day favor alot of older technologies and just generally prefer the world of my first 13-15 years over anything since).

When I was in high school in 1991, we didn't have the Internet.  It wasn't until after I graduated from high school in 1995 when the Internet was booming all over the place.  I'm a late Gen Xer.  I didn't use the Internet until I was 22, but I'm more X than Y.  Even though I act a little younger, I can relate to X more as far as fashion, music, TV shows, movies, concerts, etc.  That's why I consider myself an Xer.  I'm not an early Xer like my oldest sister (she's 37) but I'm too old to be considered a Yer, so I'm a late Xer, and I'm proud to be one.

Written By: conker on 11/21/07 at 1:00 pm

An original Xer, 1964,
which while still called the Boomer years my mother (original boomer)was born 9 months almost to the day after grandpa returned from Europe and I was born 18 years after that.

I do find a wide difference in the X's though since my Bro is a '76 model there was a lot of differences in our experiences since I was a teen of the late 70's early 80's and him of the 90's.

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/21/07 at 1:17 pm

An original Xer, 1964,
which while still called the Boomer years my mother (original boomer)was born 9 months almost to the day after grandpa returned from Europe and I was born 18 years after that.

I do find a wide difference in the X's though since my Bro is a '76 model there was a lot of differences in our experiences since I was a teen of the late 70's early 80's and him of the 90's.

This is so true.  There is a huge difference  between an early Xer and a late Xer even though it's still within the Generation X period.  In my research, the Generation X period is from 1965 or 1964 to 1980 or 1981.  I'm a late Xer (1977).   My sister is early Xer (1970).  My brother is in the middle but he's  definitely an Xer all the way (1974).  I'm more closer to my brother's pop culture than my sister's because my brother and I are 3 years apart.  My sister was a teen from 1983 to 1989.  My brother was a teen from 1987-1993.  I was a teen from 1990-1996.  My sister and I are totally different as far as pop culture is concern.  We are like day and night, but nevertheles we are within the same generation.  Even though my brother and I fought ( just like every little sister and big brother around the world), I can relate to him  more, and plus, we have the same  mother and father (both baby boomers).  Even though there's difference within the X's, it's still Generation X.   REAL TALK!!!!

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/21/07 at 8:22 pm

Being born in 1976, I would never associate with being in Gen. Y or in the cusp b/c I'm not nor is anyone born in 1975.

Exactly.  They did the same thing to me. They include my year with Generation Y, and I was mad as I don't know what.  I think that 78-83 is the REAL XY cusp because 1976 and 1977 is a year apart.  I don't identify with GenY, so they can't include me with it.

Written By: Chathan Vemuri on 12/21/09 at 1:32 am

I was born in 1989 so obviously I'm a Gen Y'er.
I'd put everyone born from 1985-1995 as Gen Y'ers, give or take some years. That is you could cut it to 1984-1994 or 1985-1994. But yes, 1985-1995 works for me.
I don't know about remembering the 90's so much, but I think people born between 85 and 94-95 remember more or less the same things and had the same experiences during the 2000's. Post 95 onwards you see a different set of kids and trends.
I'd put the late 90's kids as being something of a cusp between Y and Z. If there is an X and Y cusp, there surely should be a Y and Z cusp. The late 90's/early 2000's kids will be growing up mostly in the mid-late 2010's and these will more or less be carrying over much from Generation Y I'd say, much in the same way kids in the mid-late 90's had overlapping features from the Gen X 80's-early 90's. The Early-Mid 2010's will still be Gen Y. I mean, if people born between 76 and 83 feel close to Gen X in cultural values despite not remembering the 70's all that well, I don't see why people born in the mid-late 90's can't identify with Gen Y in many ways as they'll be teens and young adults right after us anyway.
Generation Z proper I'd put with the Boomlet of kids born in the post-9/11 era, basically the kids born 2004 onwards. 2004-2014 perhaps? These will be the kids growing up as teens/young adults in the 2020's and early 2030's. Basically the children of Generation X, though some will be kids of the late Boomers (Jones's) and even of older Y'ers.

Interestingly enough, as a Y'er, many X'er things are within recent memory for me. Saved by the Bell (very Gen X show you got to admit), Full House, Beverly Hills 90210, Friends, grunge or rather post-grunge music on the radio, and all the young actors of the time like Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, Penelope Cruz, Leonardo Di Caprio, Winona Ryder, Johnny Depp, Vince Vaughn Drew Barrymore, Cuba Gooding Jr, Ben Affleck, Ethan Hawke, etc. Basically all the actors who are now more or less nearing middle age.

Written By: blackrose602 on 01/05/10 at 10:09 am

I think a lot of the debate hinges on individual experiences. I'm technically a late-Xer (born 1976). But I would self-identify as a Cusper. In some ways, I'm more Gen X than my birth year would indicate, because I skipped three grades and graduated from high school in 1991. Yet I identify with Gen Y technologically, because my family was very technologically advanced. I got my first computer (a Timex Sinclair) in 1981. I got a Commodore 64 in 1982 and my mom sometimes brought home a 300 baud modem from work, so I was on the early BBS's. We got a CD player in 1985. My first internet experience was in 1988. So I've watched technology grow and change, but I really don't remember NOT having it at all.

Musically, I never got "into" the tween pop of the 1990s...but I grew up in Orlando and was a rabid Mickey Mouse Club fan (late Gen X). My friend Lindsey Alley was on the show, which filmed at Disney-MGM Studios. So I knew Britney and Justin and JC during that time, and kept an eye on their careers, even though I wasn't really a fan. I worked at Universal at the same time as half the Backstreet Boys. So again, I was in and around the tween pop scene.

I currently have a close-knit circle of friends ranging from early Xers to definite Yers. Many of the people I'm closest to were born in the 1980s. I love the idea of Cuspers being bilingual and acting as heralds to the new generation, because that's what I feel like I do naturally. It's not a bad thing to have the best of both worlds.

Written By: garrett on 01/02/11 at 7:58 am

*Remembers Y2K

Written By: 80sfan on 01/02/11 at 4:05 pm

I consider myself a pure Generation Y or Millenial.  8)

Written By: RG1995 on 01/06/11 at 5:16 pm

Where would you end Gen Y?  Didn't you say like 1994 is the last year that counts and 1995+ is Z?  I'm 1990 born also (although like I've said I have a fear I'm actually a '91er, but that's probably just my OCD  ;D Even if I was that's still concrete Y).

I would say Z probably begins at 1997, but 1993 is the last birth year I find to be clearly Y.  1994+ seem like little kids to me, but if pop culture continues to stagnate and mid and late '90s babies like the same stuff '80s and early '90s babies do there's no reason to consider them Z.  2000 up is not Y, Yers are bimillenial.  You have to have a least a tiny bit of 20th Century mileage on you.

Here's my Y test: can you recall ONE THING from before 1999?  Is yes, you're a Yl.  If not, I'm not so sure.

*Remembers Y2K
*Never really knew vinyl records, except maybe as toys for the very oldest of the gen(Even if I was Gen Z or Y, I wouldn't know what Vinyl really is)
*Has always known a world with Hip Hop, but still recognizes Rock(I think everyone recognizes Rock music)

I vaugely remember two things from this list. I guess I would be the YZ Cusp which would be 1993-1998 or so? IDK.... I guess 1993-1998 Generation is similar to Generation Jonses and the XY Cusp

Written By: Starde on 01/06/11 at 9:32 pm

Yeah, I'm definitely part of Gen Y. 8)

Written By: Shiv on 01/08/11 at 1:03 am

I was born in 1991. I'm pretty sure that makes me a gen Yer.

Written By: Ben on 01/29/11 at 10:21 am

Born in 1975.  I consider myself a Gen Xer. 

I guess I'm a younger Xer, but an Xer nonetheless, and a proud one too.  I don't want to be like one of those younger Baby Boomers that despised being labeld a Boomer b/c the senior memebers started to become...well "seniors" and too old to be cool or desirable to be in the same age bracket.  Frankly I don't care and I don't want to be lumped in with a younger generation.  Born in '75, I'm a Gen Xer that grew up in the 80s and graduated high school in 1993, I remember stopped relating to the kids and youth culture back around 1999/2000, and today I'm a happy 35 year old adult that looks forward to the rest of a long life.  :)

Written By: nicole1977 on 01/29/11 at 3:42 pm

Born in 1975.  I consider myself a Gen Xer.  

I guess I'm a younger Xer, but an Xer nonetheless, and a proud one too.  I don't want to be like one of those younger Baby Boomers that despised being labeld a Boomer b/c the senior memebers started to become...well "seniors" and too old to be cool or desirable to be in the same age bracket.  Frankly I don't care and I don't want to be lumped in with a younger generation.  Born in '75, I'm a Gen Xer that grew up in the 80s and graduated high school in 1993, I remember stopped relating to the kids and youth culture back around 1999/2000, and today I'm a happy 35 year old adult that looks forward to the rest of a long life.   :)

I was born in 1977, and I too am a younger Gen Xer.  I grew up in the 80s and graduated high school in 1995, and I will be 34 in July of this year.  And if anybody calls me a Gen Yer, I'm going to catch a case up in here.  Being called a Gen Yer is an insult to me because I don't even relate to them.  I will ALWAYS say that Gen X is 1965-1979 or 1980.  1977 is the last TRUE Gen Xer, and 1978-1980 are cusps.  That's MY opinion.  Take it or leave it.

Written By: RG1995 on 01/29/11 at 9:25 pm

I was born in 1977, and I too am a young Gen Xer.  I grew up in the 80s and graduated in 1995, and I will be 34 in July of this year.  And if anybody called me a Gen Yer, I'm going to catch a case up in here.  Being called a Gen Yer is an insult to me when I don't even relate to them.  I will ALWAYS say that Gen X is 1965-1979 or 1980.  1977 is the last TRUE Gen Xer, and 1978-1980 are cusps.  That's MY opinion.  Take it or leave it.
What's wrong with being a Gen Yer?

Written By: nicole1977 on 01/29/11 at 9:32 pm

What's wrong with being a Gen Yer?

It ain't nothing wrong with it. It's just that I'm tired of these BS websites including those who were born in 1975, 1976, and 1977 with Generation Y when we're not Gen Y.  We're Gen X.  Generation X is 1965-1980 and Generation Y is 1981-1995.  I can't relate to the Gen-Y culture of the mid to late 90s because in the late 90s, I was in my 20s, and that's when teen pop was exploded, and my teenage days were over by the time it became popular.  I believe that the Gen X culture in the 90s was from 1990-1995 and Gen Y culture is late 1995 to like 2007 or something.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/29/11 at 9:48 pm

It ain't nothing wrong with it? It's just that I'm tired of these BS websites including those who were born in 1975, 1976, and 1977 with Generation Y when we're not Gen Y.  We're Gen X.  Generation X is 1965-1980 and Generation Y is 1981-1995.  I can't relate to the Gen-Y culture of the mid to late 90s because in the late 90s, I was in my 20s, and that's when teen pop was exploded, and I wasn't a teenager at that time.  I believe that the Gen X culture in the 90s was from 1990-1995 and Gen Y culture is late 1995 to like 2007 or something.

BS websites is right. Anyone born in the 70s is not a Yer, Lol.  >:(

A 70s baby is an Xer and an 80s baby is a Yer!

Written By: Howard on 01/30/11 at 6:32 am

I was born in 1977, and I too am a younger Gen Xer.  I grew up in the 80s and graduated high school in 1995, and I will be 34 in July of this year.  And if anybody calls me a Gen Yer, I'm going to catch a case up in here.  Being called a Gen Yer is an insult to me because I don't even relate to them.  I will ALWAYS say that Gen X is 1965-1979 or 1980.  1977 is the last TRUE Gen Xer, and 1978-1980 are cusps.  That's MY opinion.  Take it or leave it.

I'm a Generation X myself and I'll be 37 this upcoming March.

Written By: nicole1977 on 01/30/11 at 7:01 am

I'm a Generation X myself and I'll be 37 this upcoming March.

You and my brother are born in 1974.  My brother will be 37 in July.

Written By: Howard on 01/30/11 at 7:13 am

You and my brother are born in 1974.  My brother will be 37 in July.

Don't tell me,July 4th?  ;)

Written By: nicole1977 on 01/30/11 at 7:55 am

Don't tell me,July 4th?  ;)

My brother was born in July 29th
I was born in July 4th
He's a Leo
I'm a Cancer

Written By: Howard on 01/30/11 at 7:08 pm

I was born in July 4th
He's a Leo
I'm a Cancer

Wow aren't you lucky. ;)

Written By: 80sfan on 01/30/11 at 8:16 pm

I was born in July 4th
He's a Leo
I'm a Cancer

I have a Leo mother. Oh boy, don't get me wrong I genuinely care about her, but she can be bossy at times! And that's when I tune her out.  8)

Written By: Fairee07 on 01/30/11 at 9:46 pm

IMO, the XY cusp: 1980-1982

Written By: nicole1977 on 01/31/11 at 1:06 am

I have a Leo mother. Oh boy, don't get me wrong I genuinely care about her, but she can be bossy at times! And that's when I tune her out.  8)

OMG!  Tell me about it!  I know that I'm going to offend some Leos up in here, but Leos are the bossiest people to be around.  Most of the men in my family are Leos.

My father was born in August 21st.  He's like the king of the jungle, and he feels that he's always right, but I still have to respect him because he's my father
My brother was born in July 29th.  OMG!!!!  He thinks he's always right, and he treats me like a little girl even though he's only 3 years older than me.  Like father, like son
My brother-in-law was born in August, and he's from Nigeria.  No comment.
My uncle has the same birthday as my father, and he's bossy at times.
My nephew was born in August 2nd, and he's telling ME what to do even though I'm 22 years older than him

Written By: Howard on 01/31/11 at 6:27 am

My Mother is a Aries born April 4th
My Father was born on October 2nd
I was born on March 5th

Written By: yelimsexa on 02/01/11 at 10:04 am

In terms of cultural trends, I typically see the XY cuspers as being this main fans of everything '90s, since it occured during their teens; however they can equally be into '80s stuff as well (especially from what they remember from childhood). It seems like the most hardcore fans of New Jack Swing, golden age hip hop, grunge (along with most of generation X), house/eurodance, and the like target this generation, and generally phased out of pop culture in the very late '90s/early '00s. 

Written By: tv on 02/01/11 at 11:19 am

It ain't nothing wrong with it. It's just that I'm tired of these BS websites including those who were born in 1975, 1976, and 1977 with Generation Y when we're not Gen Y.  We're Gen X.  Generation X is 1965-1980 and Generation Y is 1981-1995.  I can't relate to the Gen-Y culture of the mid to late 90s because in the late 90s, I was in my 20s, and that's when teen pop was exploded, and my teenage days were over by the time it became popular.  I believe that the Gen X culture in the 90s was from 1990-1995 and Gen Y culture is late 1995 to like 2007 or something.
No to me 1996 still belongs to Generation X and 1997-1998 belongs to both both X and Y. 1999 belongs to Generation Y because of Britney and Christina and the rise of teen-pop.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 02/01/11 at 2:26 pm

Here is one thing I wonder: Why is Gen X associated more with the 90s than the 80s? That generation has a claim in both decades but there were 2 waves of Gen X. However, it's more associated with Lollapalooza than the Brat Pack right now.

Written By: joeman on 02/01/11 at 6:32 pm

Here is one thing I wonder: Why is Gen X associated more with the 90s than the 80s? That generation has a claim in both decades but there were 2 waves of Gen X. However, it's more associated with Lollapalooza than the Brat Pack right now.

The large bulk of them made up the 18 to 24 audience in the 90s, that's why.

Written By: Howard on 02/01/11 at 6:55 pm

Cause The Generation X knew more of what happened in the 90's.

Written By: nicole1977 on 02/02/11 at 1:18 pm

No to me 1996 still belongs to Generation X and 1997-1998 belongs to both both X and Y. 1999 belongs to Generation Y because of Britney and Christina and the rise of teen-pop.

You know what?  You're absolutely right.  1997 and 1998 belongs to a mixture of X and Y.  1999 was DEFINITELY a Gen Y culture.  I couldn't relate to it.  I was 22 in 1999.

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/02/11 at 9:37 pm

Here is one thing I wonder: Why is Gen X associated more with the 90s than the 80s?

Because Douglas Coupland's Generation X: Tales for an Accelerated Culture didn't come out until 1991.  Before that, Generation X had no name.

The term "Generation X", used by authors and sociologists to refer to a set of unidentified/detached/aimless youth, had existed for decades, but it wasn't until Coupland's novel that the term was used to identify one specific generation. 

By 1995, a generation of Microserfs had adopted the moniker "Xer" as their own. 

Written By: yelimsexa on 02/03/11 at 8:32 am

Because Douglas Coupland's Generation X: Tales for an Accelerated Culture didn't come out until 1991.  Before that, Generation X had no name.

Wrong! Before Coupland, that generation was commonly referred to as "Baby Busters" (first appeared sometime during the early '80s), and is essentially the '80s equivalent of the term "Generation X", and was quite popular in the media from around 1986 to 1991 when Generation X appeared, though at the time it was a bit too soon to generalize that generation that much except for perhaps being MTV and Metal loving people. However the mid-'80s to early '90s were a trough in terms of the teenage audience, hence the more "adult friendly" hits on Top 40 radio at the time, with some exceptions such as Metal and Grunge later on. The XY cusp people however are generally children of early Boomers, and are sort of the last generation to really appreciate and notice the change from an '80s atmosphere to a '90s atmosphere in their late elementary/middle school years.

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/03/11 at 9:26 pm

Wrong! Before Coupland, that generation was commonly referred to as "Baby Busters"

Guilty as charged; I'd forgotten what we called ourselves before we called ourselves Xers, even though it was right there in the article.

Written By: nicole1977 on 02/04/11 at 12:40 pm

In terms of cultural trends, I typically see the XY cuspers as being this main fans of everything '90s, since it occured during their teens; however they can equally be into '80s stuff as well (especially from what they remember from childhood). It seems like the most hardcore fans of New Jack Swing, golden age hip hop, grunge (along with most of generation X), house/eurodance, and the like target this generation, and generally phased out of pop culture in the very late '90s/early '00s.  

I'm sorry, but I don't see myself as an XY cusper.    I'm a late, younger Gen-Xer, not an XY cusper.  I was a child from 1980 to 1989.  I became a teenager in 1990.

Written By: Howard on 02/04/11 at 3:15 pm

I was born in 1974 so what does that make me? ???

Written By: robby76 on 02/04/11 at 6:19 pm

Gen-Old  ;D ;)

Written By: nicole1977 on 02/04/11 at 7:08 pm

You're Generation X, sweetheart!  Don't let NOBODY tell you any different.  I believe that Gen X is 1965-1980 with the cusp of 1978-1980.  We are not XY cuspers.

Written By: Howard on 02/05/11 at 6:36 am

Gen-Old  ;D ;)

Thanks a lot Rob.  ::)

Written By: mylilypad on 02/16/12 at 2:36 am

i'm really late to the party, but i'm so torn over this because i identify with the original poster.

i was born in the early 80's and find myself identifying with the cusp because i can't put two feet down in either generation x or y (as other have stated). oddly, i find myself relating most to one of the reports of the cusp (1978-1983).

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 02/21/12 at 9:22 pm

;D

By 2010, the Posse will rule the world!

your right!!!! hipsters are starting to dominate!!!!

I'm not a Gen XY cusp but I am a cusp of Gen YZ as I am 1994 and as of 2012, they are graduating high school and are 18 years old (geez time flies)

I definitely remember the late 90s and 9/11 was a clear memory to me no doubt. I remember watching it on the exact moment during breakfast. Wasn't too much of a big deal at first but it lingers in your head... but thats another story

My sister is 1980 born so definitely an XY cusp. However she said that she can only relate to 90s and 00s fads and do not find 1980s interesting wierdly enough because she said things are over done a lot in the 1980s XD

What I also notice abbout the YZ cusp, There seems to be a division of cultural gap between 1996 and 1997 born. It's only minor but it is interesting. 1996 Kids are the last generation to remember the slightest thing from 1999. The early 00's were still very much like 1990s culturally speaking. Post 1997 babies are quite distinct culturally. Even to me just 3 years older. But back to the XY cuspers. I think they will have quite a longevity in their cultural demographics interest. They will definitely be able to easily relate to up the very youngest 1996 born but post 1997 kids are definitely out of their range. Culturally speaking XY cusps are in their peak age and will continue to increasingly dominate the world which will be phased in by Generation the last gen Y purely by 2030s (geez) and they are still able to definitely relate to 00s pop and RnB's and Rap. They are a bit uneasy with scene and emo shot cultural fad. But they might just enjoy the current indie wave entry to mainstream. So there's a good chance they still able to not be completely zoned out by pop culture until 2030s XD

Written By: yelimsexa on 02/22/12 at 9:20 pm

But they might just enjoy the current indie wave entry to mainstream. So there's a good chance they still able to not be completely zoned out by pop culture until 2030s XD

I'm sorry, but the majority of the XY cuspers (and even the earliest part of Y) are now young married couples and less into Top 40 and more into AC music (slower songs and some dance-pop, not indie/underground stuff that's for high school/college). They are now mostly past 30. I myself turned 27 today (born 1985), and I'm telling you, the early end of Y is no longer that innocent 18-24 demographic, and once you are in your 30s, you are considered "old" by the teens/college undergrads, except for a few "rebellious" individuals who are willing to be more experimental. In fact, I find them relating to Xers more given they are also married and want to separate from the current young set. Once the kids come, full adulthood hits: you need to go more family friendly and PG.

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 02/23/12 at 5:51 pm

I'm sorry, but the majority of the XY cuspers (and even the earliest part of Y) are now young married couples and less into Top 40 and more into AC music (slower songs and some dance-pop, not indie/underground stuff that's for high school/college). They are now mostly past 30. I myself turned 27 today (born 1985), and I'm telling you, the early end of Y is no longer that innocent 18-24 demographic, and once you are in your 30s, you are considered "old" by the teens/college undergrads, except for a few "rebellious" individuals who are willing to be more experimental. In fact, I find them relating to Xers more given they are also married and want to separate from the current young set. Once the kids come, full adulthood hits: you need to go more family friendly and PG.

a good pop culture reference for XY cusps are characters from How I Met Your Mother. Its hard to categorise them as being old but they are not exactly hip either. Some people of my generation hate top 40 songs. There are less and less people into top 40 songs. Indie music i not necessarily sound similar or too alien for XY Cuspers. its quite toneful and fresh if you listen to it. Just like the boomers having a wide cultural demographic interest from the 1950s-1980s from all ages of boomers even the ones who are born in 1949, they are still able to enjoy some early 80s hits

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 02/24/12 at 3:59 am

What I also notice abbout the YZ cusp, There seems to be a division of cultural gap between 1996 and 1997 born. It's only minor but it is interesting. 1996 Kids are the last generation to remember the slightest thing from 1999. The early 00's were still very much like 1990s culturally speaking. Post 1997 babies are quite distinct culturally.

Just because 1996 born people remember stuff from 1999 they are much different from those who are born in 1997? Just because the 1997ers started to remember things from 2000 on, which is technically another decade but still just one year apart? No toddler cares what time he is in. I was born in '86 and I do have memories of the late '80's. My earliest memory is from Christmas Eve 1988, to be exact; 1989 becomes clearer, but it's still very fragmentary. I don't think that I did anything what was 'typical '80's' during my 3 years and 211 days in the '80's. My nephew was born in late 2007... it't not that he's running around with his IPad 2, while his -so different- 2006 friends stick with their 2008 'old school' Net Book...  ;D

You know why post 1997-kids are so different? Because they are still in a very young stage of life... under 15! It's obvious that they seem distant from you, being nearly 18.

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 02/27/12 at 8:11 pm

, There seems to be a division of cultural gap between 1996 and 1997 born. It's only minor but it is interesting. 1996 Kids are the last generation to remember the slightest thing from 1999. The early 00's were still very much like 1990s culturally speaking. Post 1997 babies are quite distinct culturally. Even to me just 3 years older.

i never mentioned theres a big cultural gap first of all

i just noticed these changes since some of my friends and a cousin is around that age. school has quite a wide demographics too. I noticed the cultural fads between 1996 kids and 1997 kids are different. especilly in terms of their interests and attitudes. Its minor but noticable

Written By: Heather on 07/14/13 at 5:41 pm

Very interesting topic going on here :). I know no one's posted on this in a long while, but I thought I'd throw in my two cents. I'd have to disagree with the music taste thing here, at least on my part. I'm an XY cusper, born at the end of 1980, and I still LOVE Top 40 music. I don't listen to AC or Hot AC. I read somewhere else on this forum someone mentioned 1996 belonging to X, 1997-1998 being the crossover point of XY, and then 1999 being full out Y pop culturally speaking. I'd have to agree with that completely. I was 16/17 in '97-98 and LOVED the Spice Girls, Backstreet Boys, etc when they came out those years. By the time 1999 rolled around I was 18 and loved all the good pop music back then Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Nsync, 98 Degrees, etc. I actually miss the music and pop culture period from 1999-2002. There was something really sweet about it back then. While I was born on the cusp, and I do have some Xer tendencies, I know I lean more towards the Y side of the cusp than anything. People usually think I'm much younger than I am when they meet me and I work in the entertainment industry where everything is naturally geared towards a younger target market. So I think that's why I'm like that. I may be 32, but I still love things of fun, youth, and all that glitters haha.  ;D

Written By: amjikloviet on 07/14/13 at 8:16 pm

You're all going to hate me for this ;D, but I will briefly share what I think about this anyway. To begin with, I don't believe everything I read on Wikipedia because ANYONE can post on there and create all kinds of fake pages and information. So secondly, because of that I don't believe there is such a thing as an XY cusp generation. It sounds really silly to me, and was probably posted by someone who was just very bored. And lastly, I think people/ age groups should not be labeled. That's just wrong, and it leads to too many disputatious discussions...not only here but everywhere! 

Written By: Step-chan on 07/15/13 at 3:41 pm

Born in early 77, so I'm an X'er.

Written By: Howard on 07/15/13 at 7:42 pm

Born in early 77, so I'm an X'er.

I was born in 1974.

Written By: The Valley Goth on 07/16/13 at 3:15 am

Like, Hi, Fer Shurr,

I was obsessed with the book Generations during college, to the point that I was classifying such literary characters as Agamemnon for my teachers!  My "generation" was SUPPOSEDLY The 13ers (Born between about 1961 and 1981), but I WASN'T really like "them," as I WASN'T the neglected, latchkey kid that was described in Generations.  My best friend, who was only about a year younger than I was, agreed that SHE, TOO, had been sheltered, instead of being neglected.
8) 

From Wikipedia:

XY Cusp

Written By: Step-chan on 07/16/13 at 3:26 am

I was born in 1974.

Which makes you an X'er as well.

Written By: Yasmine on 07/16/13 at 4:07 pm

your right!!!! hipsters are starting to dominate!!!!

I'm not a Gen XY cusp but I am a cusp of Gen YZ as I am 1994 and as of 2012, they are graduating high school and are 18 years old (geez time flies)

I definitely remember the late 90s and 9/11 was a clear memory to me no doubt. I remember watching it on the exact moment during breakfast. Wasn't too much of a big deal at first but it lingers in your head... but thats another story

I don't think you should even be on the cusp. You should be generation Z. You claim to remember the late 90s but you were only 3-5 during them. You were a little boy that I could pick up and carry. Beauty pageants weren't much different between 1999 and 2000. My sister won her first beauty pageant in 1996, and if you told her that you were Generation Y, she would laugh at you. You are Z. No cusps. Just Z.

Written By: mik on 07/21/13 at 10:51 pm

IMO, there is a small generational cusp in between X and Y, just as there were in previous generations, i.e. Generation Jones, War Babies, etc.. Generations don't change suddenly, it's more of a gradual change when a new generation emerges to replace the older one.  IMO, these are primarily children of the 80's and/or the stereotypical 90's teenagers.  The middle of this cusp is 1979.  And I believe X ends at around 1981.  The typical generation Xer would've been the typical 80's teenager, although I think being a teenager during the 90's counts also.

Written By: Jeff on 07/21/13 at 11:38 pm

IMO, there is a small generational cusp in between X and Y, just as there were in previous generations, i.e. Generation Jones, War Babies, etc.. Generations don't change suddenly, it's more of a gradual change when a new generation emerges to replace the older one.  IMO, these are primarily children of the 80's and/or the stereotypical 90's teenagers.  The middle of this cusp is 1979.  And I believe X ends at around 1981.  The typical generation Xer would've been the typical 80's teenager, although I think being a teenager during the 90's counts also.

1982 would be the last of the XY cusp.

Check for new replies or respond here...