inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Steve Perry (The Solo Hits)

Written By: whistledog on 02/09/06 at 10:35 pm

Always liked Don't Fight It the best! :)

Subject: Re: Steve Perry (The Solo Hits)

Written By: ktelqueen on 02/09/06 at 10:40 pm

Missing You,You Better Wait and She's Mine..love them all  8)

modified to add Foolish Heart!! :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/09/06 at 11:07 pm

"Foolish Heart" is the best, but I like the whole Street Talk album.

"Oh Sherrie/Go Away/Foolish Heart/Strung Out" all sounded like mid '80s Journey anyway.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/10/06 at 2:45 pm

Oh, Sherrie

Written By: Dagwood on 02/10/06 at 8:58 pm

Don't Fight It was great but Foolish Heart gets me every time.

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 02/11/06 at 6:11 am

Oh, Sherrie
Foolish Heart

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 02/11/06 at 11:50 am

I liked "Oh, Sherrie" best.  :)

Written By: GREEN67 on 02/12/06 at 4:54 am

8) I love Oh Sherrie..cause thats my name...I didnt care for the video tho...

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 02/12/06 at 6:40 am

I always wondered why he let his career stagnate after the mid 80's. A damn good singer from a great band that wrote catchy light rock/pop songs.

Written By: GREEN67 on 02/12/06 at 7:55 am

I always wondered why he let his career stagnate after the mid 80's. A damn good singer from a great band that wrote catchy light rock/pop songs.
  8) I agree..I loved Journey...what happened??

Written By: Nostalgic on 02/12/06 at 8:06 am

Foolish Heart

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 02/12/06 at 10:28 am

I always loved the way Steve belted out the opening line to "Oh, Sherrie"... :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/12/06 at 6:41 pm

8) I love Oh Sherrie..cause thats my name...I didnt care for the video tho...

Aww, you didn't? It was pretty cool from what I recall. ;)

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong (I might be missing some important details - it's been over 10 years since I last saw it on VH1), but didn't it take place in a hotel lobby or something like that? He and "Sherrie" were there as he was singing the song to her.

I do recall the little bit at the end though, where they leave together as some guy is yelling at him ("STEEEEVE!" as he goes out the front door). ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/12/06 at 6:45 pm

I saw the band's Behind The Music episode some time back. Don't recall exactly, but I think he was just burned out from nearly a decade of nonstop albums/recording/touring, etc. The rest of the band I think, felt he was taking too much artistic control of the band.

P.S. This was my favorite period for them. Really, the hits from Frontiers, solo hits from Street Talk, and most of the Raised on Radio album all kinda sounded similar (i.e. that unmistakable "pop/arena rock/keyboard" '80s sound).

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 02/12/06 at 7:53 pm

I saw the band's Behind The Music episode some time back. Don't recall exactly, but I think he was just burned out from nearly a decade of nonstop albums/recording/touring, etc. The rest of the band I think, felt he was taking too much artistic control of the band.

P.S. This was my favorite period for them. Really, the hits from Frontiers, solo hits from Street Talk, and most of the Raised on Radio album all kinda sounded similar (i.e. that unmistakable "pop/arena rock/keyboard" '80s sound).
I need to see that BTM. They shouldnt have taken such a long break. Maybe from touring, but they should have gotten an album of new material out in late 80's/early 90's to stay relevant.

Written By: GREEN67 on 02/12/06 at 9:49 pm

Aww, you didn't? It was pretty cool from what I recall. ;)

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong (I might be missing some important details - it's been over 10 years since I last saw it on VH1), but didn't it take place in a hotel lobby or something like that? He and "Sherrie" were there as he was singing the song to her.

I do recall the little bit at the end though, where they leave together as some guy is yelling at him ("STEEEEVE!" as he goes out the front door). ;D
  yea..its been a Loong time since I saw it too..I guess I need to see it again..I would LOVE for someone to sing Oh Sherrie to me right now!

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/12/06 at 9:51 pm

yea..its been a Loong time since I saw it too..I guess I need to see it again..I would LOVE for someone to sing Oh Sherrie to me right now!

My singing voice s*cks as far as carrying notes like that (I sound kinda like Butthead, from Beavis & Butthead, LOL), but I'll give it my best.

"Shoulda been gooooooonnnnnnnnnneeeeeee! Knowin' how I.....made ya feeeel! And I shoulda been gooooonnnnnnne! After all of your....wo-rds of ste-eeel!"

;)

Written By: GREEN67 on 02/12/06 at 9:54 pm

My singing voice s*cks as far as carrying notes like that (I sound kinda like Butthead, from Beavis & Butthead, LOL), but I'll give it my best.

"Shoulda been gooooooonnnnnnnnnneeeeeee! Knowin' how I.....made ya feeeel! And I shoulda been gooooonnnnnnne! After all of your....wo-rds of ste-eeel!"

;)
  ;D lol..I feel better now, I dont care if you do sound like Butthead...its the thought that counts! ::)

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/12/06 at 9:56 pm

;D lol..I feel better now, I dont care if you do sound like Butthead...its the thought that counts! ::)

True. And thanks, LOL. :)

BTW, on a related note, I only recently found out the real words to the song. I always thought it was "Oh Sherrie, oh Lord, hold on" but it's really "Our love holds on."

That makes alot more sense. ;)

Written By: GREEN67 on 02/12/06 at 10:01 pm

True. And thanks, LOL. :)

BTW, on a related note, I only recently found out the real words to the song. I always thought it was "Oh Sherrie, oh Lord, hold on" but it's really "Our love holds on."

That makes alot more sense. ;)
Thats so funny that you mentioned that...This needs to be a new thread..there are soooo many songs that for Years I was singing the wrong lyrics to...So many I have in my head but cannot remember right now... ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/12/06 at 10:07 pm

Thats so funny that you mentioned that...This needs to be a new thread..there are soooo many songs that for Years I was singing the wrong lyrics to...So many I have in my head but cannot remember right now... ;D

I don't usually go into the "Song Lyrics" section but there's probably something like that over there.

Oh, I've heard tons wrong too. I think a big part of that is, (1) the music kinda drowns out the vocals sometimes, (2) if they've got an accent or are pronouncing something different, fast or slow, etc.

Also, factor in that I've been listening to music since I was 3 or 4! So yeah, there were many songs that I interpreted wrong, and several years later once I was old enough to "get" things, took on totally new meanings to me, LOL.

For example, in "That's What Friends Are For", I thought "you can count on me" meant truly COUNT on them (as in 1, 2, 3). ;D

Written By: GREEN67 on 02/12/06 at 10:11 pm

;D YEP..LOL....I am still trying to think of some of the lyrics..but my brain..is...well...brain dead right now..LOOL..................... :o

Written By: Miss Nostalgia on 02/13/06 at 1:45 pm

"Oh Sherrie"

Check for new replies or respond here...